• Published 17th Apr 2016
  • 3,276 Views, 119 Comments

I'm No Legend - Short Stories



Twilight gets amnesia. Oddly specific amnesia.

  • ...
10
 119
 3,276

~Interlude: Sweetie Belle's Night Terror~

Sweetie Belle was getting worried. Wait---no---'worried' is too weak of a word. Hectic, or even perturbed would work a whole lot better. Luna had taken control of the night shift already, and Rarity still wasn't home. She had checked the clock multiple times ever since this morning, every five or ten minutes, and the last time she checked it was 8:49 pm; 49 minutes past her bedtime.

She moaned and stepped away from the broken window. Maybe...maybe if she hadn't gone out to hang with her friends and helped Rarity instead...maybe if she hadn't snuck out at midnight and had an hour-long sleep over with Apple Bloom and Scootaloo--one of which Rarity said 'no' to because they'd be leaving early to go to Manehatten tomorrow. Maybe if she had just stayed home and been a good filly, like Rarity wanted...maybe none of this would have happened.

Sighing, she went back to the window. Nervousness, anxiousness, guilt, and exhaustion clung to her like an extremely sticky spider web, pulling her further and further into an odd state of dreaming and awareness. Yet she tried her hardest to stay awake--only to fall asleep not even ten minutes later.

A loud knock at the door startled her awake. She looked at the door, slightly terrified of who could be behind it. If it were Rarity, she would simply walk through with ease. But what if it were one of her friends? Or one of the girls? Still cautious, she deiced to stick her head out the window, carefully avoiding the sharp glass that threatened to spill her blood if her skin slightly grazed one.

There, she saw Zecora waiting patiently, inches away from the door, somehow not noticing the filly. Sweetie swiftly ducked her head back inside before she could. "What's Zecora doing here at this hour?" She whispered to herself, then realized that maybe Zecora had night visits with Rarity every now and then and she never knew because it was always past her bedtime.

But...wouldn't Rarity tell her about this? In case, one night, she got to stay up past her curfew? Sweetie realized she was standing right in front of where Zecora could easily see her and maneuvered herself to right in front of the door. Before she could overthink the situation even more, Zecora's voice floated through the window. "The night is filled with crisp, freezing air; let me in, I know you're there." Sweetie looked off to the side and nearly got a heart attack when she saw the zebra's face poking through the broken glass; looking right at her.

Sweetie felt a shiver race up and down her spine, but tried to ignore it and fought the urge that clawed at her to run away screaming. Instead, she forced a smile and reminded herself over and over until her heart stopped racing that Zecora is a well known, greatly trusted friend. "Oh, hi, Zecora!" She said in the brightest tone she could muster, "I'm sorry...Rarity's off on a last-minute gem hunt with Spike. Do you think you could come back later?" Her ears started to twitch, for she never exactly liked lying, and tried to hide the nervous tick by giving Zecora--what she hoped was--a pleasing smile.

Zecora raised an eyebrow, as she looked at the filly's nervous body stature. "Based on the sly look in your eye, it appears to me you are attempting a lie." Sweetie hung her head low, mentally freaking out. Zecora smirked as Sweetie's reaction told her everything she needed to know. "Now that we are done playing this game; please let me in. I have something to proclaim."

"Can't you just say it out there?" Sweetie asked. She knew she was being rude, but she had a very sketchy feeling in the pit of her stomach that something wasn't right.

"No." Zecora didn't sound like Zecora anymore. She sounded awfully familiar, but Sweetie couldn't put her hoof on it. Whomever's voice it was, it definitely sounded like a male. The zebra's eyes suddenly went white and she reared onto her hind legs. Squid like tentacles came out of her back and reached around, trying to grab the filly. Screaming, Sweetie darted as fast as her little legs would take her up the stairs.

The squid-appendages carried the possessed zebra through the already-broken window, causing it to break entirely. More seemed to sprout from Zecora's back and slid with ease up the spiral staircase, just inches away from Sweetie's hind leg; she could feel the freezing temperatures radiating from the appendages from where they were. She screamed again and tried to at least teleport her way out of the house. That's when she realized she had no horn.

She tried not to halt in surprise, but instead slowed to round the corner to her room. Quickly, she closed and locked her door behind her, bracing herself against the wooden surface for extra precaution. After some seconds went by, she realized a tentacle could squeeze beneath the door crack and pull her away or they could easily break the door down, so she instead pushed most of her furniture in the way and slowly walked towards the middle of her room, certain she was safe for the time being.

Seconds went by, though it felt like hours, and nothing came in to grab her. She let herself relax, yet she didn't get to relax for long. She felt another shiver tremble her whole body, and, knowing that wasn't a good thing, slowly looked behind her, terrified of what she'd see. Zecora stood a foot or two away from her open window, raised high on her extra appendages. Sweetie mentally face-palmed herself for not checking her window--classic, stupid mistake--before a cold, slimy tentacle shot forward and wrapped around her mid-section, squeezing her tight so she wouldn't slip out, and pulling her back towards the zebra.

Sweetie couldn't breathe. She could feel her vision slowly start to blacken. Zecora looked directly at her, no expression on her face. "Kcirt. Ekips. Esiugsid." She mumbled. It was the last thing Sweetie heard.

~*~

She woke with a start and immediately started screaming again. Luckily, it died out as she realized she had conked out on the floor next to the window sill. She looked at the time; it was 1:45. The same time as last night when Rarity got taken. She shuddered and decided to go in the kitchen so she wouldn't be seen by anypony who decided to stop by...if anypony was awake at this hour.

What dream-Zecora had said freaked her out even more than the dream itself. She only know what she had said because the CMC's secret language was simply saying stuff backwards. They hadn't used it in a while, but it had come in handy when they didn't want prying ears to hear their next scheme to get their cutie marks.

She had said 'disguise. Spike. Trick.' Three simple words that will probably cause Spike a world of panic--not to mention Twilight and her, herself. Sweetie decided that, starting tomorrow, she'd board up the window (the best she could get at fixing it), and go find and help Spike on his mission, if Rarity wasn't back by then.

A knock sounded at the door. Sweetie stiffened and quickly hid beneath the kitchen table. She'd just stay here until then.

Author's Note:

A treat for you! This is to make up for the sooper short chapter earlier today. 406 words + 1,282 words = 1,688 words in total today! :pinkiehappy:

Yeah..I have slight writers block, and this is the best I can come up with. Hope it doesn't veer too far off track :applejackunsure: