• Published 7th Jun 2012
  • 21,245 Views, 1,036 Comments

The Equestrian Honor Guard - Honored Service



A military college student is thrown into the land we all know and love.

  • ...
91
 1,036
 21,245

The Quick Change

The Equestrian Honor Guard
Chapter 30
By Honored Service



“And I'm saying that we need to step up guard patrols here, here and here.” I pointed to three separate locations scattered around the map that showed the outlines of Canterlot Castle. I looked over to Shining Armor to confirm that I had made the right choices.

“Correct Honored. Very good, you are catching on very quickly to strategic planning.” He rolled up the map of the castle with his magic and tucked it back on the shelf. “Report back to you barracks; tomorrow we will continue this lesson.”

I saluted and walked out of the room and down the hallway that lead to the basement area of the castle that held the dungeons (never been used) and the barracks for the Royal Guard. The Barracks were just large rooms with bunks in them and storage areas for storing armor and weapons. Simple designs covered the walls in gold and blue colors. Officers got private rooms attached to the larger rooms and really high ranging officers got their own house in the high class section of Canterlot.

“Hey Honored!” Short Blade called out from his bunk as he placed his helmet down and laid a cloth on top of it. Must be time to shine everything, and this is why my armor and uniform didn’t require shining. Good old duster and body armor you haven’t failed me yet.

It’s been a week since Saddle Company had graduated from the Royal Guard training camp and we were all still together. At first we had been assigned to low level jobs, guarding the back gate, or simply patrolling the castle gardens. But after a few days of this Saddle Company was moved up to handling more important jobs. Quick Flurry and Fast Skies were both assigned to the Princess’s chariot squads and Battle Plan was given a position to work directly under the Princess of the Night. He acted as a late night consultant to Luna. Short Blade was actually going through some more training to become a sword instructor at the camp we had just graduated from. Hammer Strike found himself in a rotating shift at the Royal Armory where he helped craft the weapons and armor that the Royal Guard used daily. Saddle Company may be small, but we all held high positions throughout the castle.

“Honor!” Fast Skies tore through the air and knocked me to the ground. She immediately got up and blushed as Quick Flurry made kissing noises from the back of the room. She shot him a glare but then turned back to me and put on her adorable face with those big eyes of hers. “Sorry, I just haven’t seen you much with the whole chariot squad and your training lessons with Captain Armor.”

I sat up and began to run my hand through her orange mane. “It’s alright Sky, I missed you too; but maybe you can try to not tackle me every time I come in here?” She nodded and walked back to her bunk where she lifted herself up and laid down.

I walked over to my bunk and removed my duster and placed it on the rack next to my bed. I unzipped the tactical vest and hung it up as well. The belt and holster came off next and hung beside the vest. Already with all that weight off I felt more comfortable and I relaxed. Whenever I was wearing all my armor I just couldn’t really relax, I was always alert, always ready for something to happen, but once I removed everything, it was as if nothing bad could happen.

*********************************************************************

“The time grows close Queen, are you ready?” The lone figure stood atop a crest of a hill and faced the slowly setting sun.

“Yes, I am ready, as is my army. We will travel for two days and then reach Canterlot. This time there will be no mercy, no feeding, just destruction.”

“Good Queen.” The figure leapt into the air and took off into the sunset. A thunderous sound of thousands of wings buzzing became deafening as the Changeling army took flight to follow their leader to the city of Canterlot.

**************************************************************************

“Rise and shine Honor.” I felt Sky nuzzle my neck. I sat up and looked down to see her sitting there waiting patiently for me to get ready. Why was she doing that…oh yeah today is Saturday, and we both get leave on Saturday.

“Okay I'm getting up see?” I stood up and walked over to my storage locker and pulled on some dark blue pants over my boxers. A simple gold colored long sleeve shirt went on after that. I walked back to my bed and put on my belt and holster and reached over to the duster that was hanging up on the rack. I heard Sky cough.

“I can’t wear it?” I pulled the duster close to my chest like a small child would hold a comfort blanket or a small stuffed animal.

“Not on our dates. You know that.” She rolled her eyes and cantered over to the door. “Come on, put on your boots and let’s go; I want to get to Four Leaf’s before it gets too busy!” Sky took off like a bullet out the door as I slowly followed behind her.

This had become a Saturday morning routine for us. We wake up and got to Four Leaf’s to have breakfast, and then go for a walk in the Canterlot gardens. After that we mainly just walked the city and enjoyed being in each other’s company. We were still a young couple, but all in all I think we were handling it very well.

I exited the castle and exited the main gate, retuning a salute to the two board looking guards. I felt their pain, I had had gate duty before, it freaking was 8 hours of staring at ponies walking by, and the occasional punk that tried to get you to break the stoic expression you wore. Little bastards.

Fast Skies landed next to me as we walked down the cobblestone street. The shops were just starting to open up and a few ponies milled about the edges of the street. Down the road I saw the familiar sign of Sky’s favorite restaurant in all of Canterlot, possibly all of Equestria. Honestly I didn’t see what was so great about it. She said the grass and oat omelet was the best in the world, but seeing as I was unable to eat grass I would just take her word on it.

“Ah good to see you again Fast Skies, and Honored Service. Would you like your regular seats?” The owner of the restaurant, Four Leaf, ushered us to the corner booth that Sky liked so much. We have only eaten here twice together now, but apparently this was our regular spot.

We took our seats and Sky placed her order (the grass and oat omelet) and I ordered a cheese and pepper omelet, extra cheese. We talked about small things as we waited for our food to be served. I noticed that Fast Skies was being a little extra fidgety today. “Sky, is something up? You seem a little nervous about something.” I cocked an eyebrow at her; which only caused her to fidget more and give me a shifty smile.

“Sky?”

“You're the best right.” She looked everywhere but at me.

I crossed my arms in front of me as the server came with our food. He placed it down in front of us and Fast Skies immediately began stuffing her face with her omelet. If I wasn’t as curious as to what she was hiding from me, this would have been the most adorable thing ever.

“Weff my mofh is full so I canmt talk!” Sky proudly declared sending chunks of eggs and grass across the table. I just gave her a deadpan stare. She sighed and swallowed the food and looked at me.

“Okay Honored, in the last letter I wrote to my parents I may have mentioned that I had a coltfriend. And I may have lied and told them all about my strong earth pony coltfriend. I didn’t know how to tell them that you were a human so I kind of lied. But only a little bit!” she laid her head down on the table and brought her wings around her head to try and hid her shame. I could only laugh at this silly mare.

“Is that why you're so upset? Because you lied to your parents about me being a pony?” I laughed and put a fork full of omelet into my mouth.

“No, but because there coming to see us tomorrow.”

The forkful of omelet found its way all over the table as I coughed violently. Once all the egg had been cleared from my wind pipe I just stared at the mare across from me. “Okay, this isn’t that big of a deal. We can just say I got pulled away on a guard duty.”

“That might work.” She slowly got back into eating her food, while I began to think about how I could fix this situation.

As I lifted another cheesy bite of omelet off of my plate as an idea struck me. I dropped the food and stood up and leaned over and gave Sky a quick peck on the cheek. “I’ve got an idea Sky; I’ll be back at the barracks tonight if everything goes well!” And with that I dashed out the door (after throwing some bits on the table of course, I wouldn’t make Fast Skies pay for the meal) and raced towards the castle. I think that the Princesses owned me a favor for saving some lives. Let’s cash in on that now.


I climbed the stairs 2 at a time and skidded to the left and ran down the hallway to the throne room. I threw open the door and jogged up to the throne where Princess Celestia and Luna were staring at me. Granted I could have come in a little slower but this was an emergency.

“One…second….gotta…catch…my…breath.” I kneeled over and sucked in lungful’s of air. Once I had composed myself I approached the Princesses and bowed.

“My Honored, what brings you here in such a manner?” Princess Celestia asked while stepping down from her throne and gracefully making her way over to me; Luna following behind her.

“Princess Celestia, Princess Luna, I need a favor.” I scuffed my feet against the marble floor.

“Now Honored, I thought you would know that I can’t show special treatment to just anypony that would be unfair.” She looked down at me and frowned.

“No it’s alright Princess, I understand.” I turned around and began making way to the large doors to exit the castle. Maybe Zecora had a potion that could temporary turn me into a pony for a day or something like that. I could always try Twilight and see what she could do.

“But it’s a good thing you're not an anypony, but an anybody.” I spun around and stared at the white Princess who wore a smirk on her face. She fucking was toying with me since day one. God. Damnit. Princess Luna, you were about to become my favorite Princess if this shit keeps up. “What do you need human?” Luna walked in front of her sister and glared at her. She placed a wing on my back and ushered me away from the evil trickster.

As we walked out into the hallway, Luna magically shut the doors on Celestia who yelled from the other side of the large doors. “Oh sorry Tia, but I do think that it is still Day Court right now, ill handle the human. Come Honored, we will walk to the observatory, and you can tell me about your needs on the way.”


************************************************************************

“Okay, so she told her parents she was dating a pony, and they are coming to see him, and you want me to do what again?”

I looked up at the sky as a few clouds rolled by being chased by some pegasus. “I was wondering if there was any way that you could turn me into a pony for just a day. Or half a day. Just long enough so that Fast Skies’s parents would believe that shes dating a pony.”

“You know you will have to tell them that you're Equestria’s only human-“

“Yes I know we’ll cross that bridge when the time comes. So can you?” I looked at hear with pleading eyes, begging for her to perform this magical task.

“Honored we…I. I raise the moon every day. The thing you ask of me is something even a foal alicorn could perform. Of course I shall help you!” Luna stood on her hind legs and shouted into the air. I covered my ears to avoid going deaf and smiled at her.

“Thanks Luna you have no idea how happy you made Sky.” She nodded, “Wait you don’t even care for yourself?”

“No Princess, I'm doing this so that she will be happy and her parents will be happy too.”

Princess Luna smiled and said, “You are doing this for the right reason Honored. This spell will wear off at sunset tomorrow. So that gives you a little over 24 hours to be the best pony you can possibly be. Now stand over there, and remove any clothing that you don’t want ripped apart.” The Princess pointed to a spot next to a large telescope. I walked over and removed my shirt, belt, holster, pants, and my boots. I folded them and sat them over to the side near me. I stared at my clothes and pistol.

“Don’t worry; I’ll have them brought back to your locker.”

“Thanks Princess, let’s do this!”

“Oaky now try not to move.” Luna’s horn began to glow a bright blue as she pointed it at me.

“Wait what?”

BBBBBBBBBBBBZZZZZZZZZZZZTTTTTTTTTT

“Mmmmmooooooo!”

“Um hang on, let me try again, it’s been awhile since I did this.”

BBBBBBBBBBBBBBZZZZZZZZZZZZZZTTTTTTTTTT

“Meow! HHHHIIIISSSSS!”

“No need to be so rude! It was an honest mistake!”

BBBBBBBBBBBBBBZZZZZZZZZZZZZZTTTTTTTTTT

“I swear to all that is holy that if you mess…up…” I looked to where Luna was standing and saw that she was taller than before, not by much, but definitely taller. I got up and tried walking over to my stuff but immediately tripped and fell forward.

“Ow shit!” I sat up and stared at my hooves. Yup hooves. Good to see that Luna got it right, although the cat was pretty neat, everything looked so comfy and purfect for sleeping on.

Luna stepped next to me and brought a mirror to rest in front of a confused looking pony. A gray stallion with a red and orange streaked mane stared back at me. Holly shit, I’m a pony. My bright green eyes stared back at me as I moved a hoof along my muzzle. Sure enough I was a pony an earth pony at that. I slowly sat back up and raised myself to a standing position.

“Well you don’t look that bad.” Celestia said as she walked up behind her younger sister. “I think you could have made him taller and a bit more…whats the word… muscular? Fast Skies is only going to have him like this one day right; should have gone all out.”

I was blushing a bit as I tried to walk once more. On shaky legs I moved forward. One hoof, then another, followed by the opposite one. Okay I got this, just but one hoof in front of the other and move onward. I caught the hang of walking, but running would just not happen. At least not for another few hours.

“Let’s walk Honored Service back to the barracks, something tells me the guards won’t just let a pony claiming to be a human into the barracks.” Luna and Celestia moved to either side of me and escorted me all the way to the barracks and cleared me with the guards. I shouldn’t have trouble getting around now.

I opened the barrack door and walked over to the bed that I had used as a human. I felt the eyes of my company on me as I climbed up onto the springy mattress and sit down.

“Hey buddy, you lost or something?” Short Blade called over to me. I moved a hoof over my lips and made a, “ssshhh”, noise. He just cocked and eyebrow but didn’t say anything. I was waiting on one pony, a pegasus to be exact to see me.

“Hey who are you and what are you doing in Honored’s bed?” Fast Skies demanded hovering right over my face. She had an angry look plastered on her face. I waved a hoof motioning for her to come closer. She cautiously moved down a little ways so she was within reach.

I then reached up and stroked a hoof down her spine. She spasmed and jerked in midair and crashed landed on the foot of the bed. “Hey Sky, glad to see your doing good!” I smiled and winked at her.


“Honored? Is that you?” She asked staring in disbelief at me. Everypony else in the company stared as well at the gray earth pony that was resting on the bed.

“Honored? Do I look like some incredibly handsome human?” I raised a hoof to my chest and shined it against the fur. “I do believe I am Honored Service in pony form!” I jumped from the bed and landed on all fours and trotted around the room displaying my new form for all my friends to see.

“Wow”

“Fits you well.”

“I really like your mane!”

“You're… you're… you're perfect!” Fast Skies tackled me onto the ground and held me I a hug. She buried her head into my chest and inhaled. Alright…kinda weirding me out here Sky.

“You mean I wasn’t perfect before?” I could never say no to a chance to get Sky all flustered.

“What? No I mean you were nice as a human, but you're pony form is so normal.” She stuttered out her answer while some pink made its way across her muzzle.

“Relax Sky, I'm just messing with you. I know what you mean. It’s alright, I now you like me just as much.”

“You did this just for me? So that my parents would believe me?” She had some tears beginning to roll down her face. She was so happy she was crying, I'm such a good boyfriend…I guess coltfriend now.

“Sure did Sky. Now who wants to teach me about being a pony so I can fool Sky’s parents tomorrow for our date?”

For the rest of the day, and most of the night Saddle Company stayed up helping me learn about pony culture and simple pony ways so that I would pass for a pony long enough to get through the day with Fast Skies’s parents. The hardest thing was using utensils. I really missed my fingers. I got the hang of it by balancing the fork or spoon or knife in a small notch that was on my hoof. How well placed, I wonder if it was done like that for that purpose.

Once the moon reached the middle of the sky, we decided I was as good as I was going to get. We all backed it in and went to bed. Sky gave me a kiss on the lips and another thank you for everything I was doing for her.

I went to sleep dreaming about having a great life with a family here in Equestria.

**********************************************************************

“Come; do not slow down my minions! We are only a day away! By Monday we will reach Canterlot, and this time we shall have total victory!”

The massive dark cloud moved through the night sky blotting out the stars as they travelled. Thousands of wings beating filled the air with a hum that could be heard for miles around, but the warning would come far too late to the ponies of Canterlot and Equestria as they were waking up on that fateful Monday morning.

“Onward to Victory,” Yelled Queen Chrysalis as she flew in front of her swarm of changelings, “It will be a day that ponykind will never forget!”

“And don’t you forget what you have to do Queen.”

“Of course not Nightmare.”

“He must die, or things could become…complicated.”

“It shall happen swiftly and painfully.”

“Good. Good.”