• Published 7th Jun 2012
  • 21,245 Views, 1,036 Comments

The Equestrian Honor Guard - Honored Service



A military college student is thrown into the land we all know and love.

  • ...
91
 1,036
 21,245

The Timber Wolves

The Equestrian Honor Guard
Chapter 11
By Honored Service


“That had to have been one of the best night’s sleep I’ve had since coming here.” I stood up from my bedroll and stretched. I mean sure I had just found out that some ancient humans had lived in Equestria, and they had sacrificed themselves to protect their pony neighbors, but this is where I became confused. If the humans had given everything to protect ponies, wouldn’t they be more than a legend? Shouldn’t they have a monument or holiday? I guess I’ll have to ask Celestia or Luna about that.

“Ok enough lounging around. Let’s go give these books back to Zecora before it gets too late in the day. I don’t want to be there when Applebloom shows up.” I grabbed the books and a few berries from one of the bushes in my new home camp and walked down the rough trail back to Zecora’s hut. I would have to come back another way though. I don’t want to wear a path into the forest floor; attract as little attention possible.

“Hey Zecora, I brought back your books!” I called out to the Zebra before knocking on her door. I was raised with manners and no matter how well you know someone you always knocked before entering.

“Ah how wonderful of you to return, but much you have to learn. There is no need to knock, just come in and talk.” Zecora took the books back and placed them on the bottom shelf of a fairly large book case. “I hope the plant tome; will help you on your food roam.”

“Oh yes, thanks to that book I was able to find some berries and roots nearby my new camp to eat. I guess I’m going to have to adapt to a primarily vegetarian diet here in Equestria. As much as I will miss meat, it would have to happen.”

“Indeed being a vegetarian will help, the ponies will not yelp. But if you wish for meat, then I know where you should treat. The land of griffons; they will not stiffen. Meat eaters they are, you will not have to look far.” She walked over to her large cast iron cauldron and began to stir a purple solution that bubbled and gave off a very delightful scent.

“I should be fine; I can find a new source of protein other than meat. Sure I’m going to miss it, but I can make do without it.” I inhaled deeply of the potion. It did smell very good; like mixture of apples and pears, a fruit smoothie kind of fragrance.

“Well that shouldn’t be trouble, this potion serves you double. It contains the nutrition you seek, but without the meat reek.” Zecora scooped out a bowl full of the delicious smelling liquid. She hoofed it to me. I accepted it and brought it to my lips.

“Wow this…this is really good Zecora!” I drank the rest of the serving of magical brew. Something that had all the protein I needed without having to eat meat. This just made everything a lot easier, although I’m still going to miss that amazing bacon. Oh God the bacon.

I pulled out the canteen and held it above the cauldron, “May I?”

“Take no heed; take as much as you need.” Zecora gave me another large pot to fill with the liquid food. “Return this once it is empty, I will have plenty.”

With both containers full of my new substance, I bid the rhyming zebra farewell and moved out back to my camp. Taking a slightly different route. I placed the pot of food next to the bedroll and used a vine to secure the lid closed.

“There, hopefully that will keep out the bugs. What else should I do today?” I pulled out the ops manual. “Hmmmm well everything is done except for solve the mystery on humans. And I need to be in Canterlot to do that…I’ll just have to hold off on that one. Maybe I can make a tent. So far the weather has been on my side, but who knows how long that will last.”

I wrote a new objective into the ops manual.
-Make some kind of shelter. Something to keep my person and belongings dry

I decided to make a simple lean-to. I found a long stick and secured it horizontally in-between two trees. Using smaller sticks, I made a simple roof that I could attach leaves onto to use as shingles. Layering ferns and large leaves from a plant I found, I created a layered roof that would flow water down the back of the lean-to. Using more logs and sticks a created a small wall in the front of the lean-to so I could build my fire in the shelter and have it protected from the wind; and it would keep it somewhat hidden from prying eyes.

I stood back from my new home. This was much better than just a bedroll and the stars. Laying the bedroll inside of the new shelter, I felt a great sense of accomplishment. Hell, maybe if I can find an ax I'll make a log cabin out here. I could have Zecora pick one up for me. I’ll trade some physical labor for it or something. I don’t have any bits or anything I could trade.

I checked off the current objective and wrote a new one down,
-go exploring. Not too far as to not get lost

Grabbing my tactical vest and rifle, I headed out into the Everfree. It was time to become more familiar with my surroundings. I was a human in Equestria. Simple math told me that it had been at least 1,100 years since a human had walked this Earth, and I was going to learn how to walk it without trip-

SPLAT

I picked myself out of the mud. “Ok now I’m going to learn how to survive and walk here without tripping. Starting now.” I wiped the mud off my face and continued on my mini adventure through the Everfree.

I reached the edge of the forest and peered out at the town across the large grassy field. This had to be Ponyville. It looked exactly like the TV show, only real. And I was staring right at it. I got into a prone position and pulled out my binoculars. Sighting them in as far as I could get them, which was about 750 meters, I could make out pastel blobs moving to and fro in the town. Shapes would move from building to building, while some would take to the air and swoop onto balconies and roofs. I couldn’t see the details of the ponies this far away; just colors. I saw a pink and green combo, tan and dark brown, orange and yellow, purple and pink, blue and rainbow… wait I turned the binoculars on the last one. I would recognize that color combination anywhere. Rainbow Dash was zipping around the town in the sky.
Damn, I wish I had gotten some stronger recon binoculars. These ones were good, but nowhere near good enough to see the awesomeness of the rainbow blur flying around Ponyville. I shifted my line of sight to a group of ponies that were coming straight towards me. Shit.

I scooted back a little more under the brush of the forest. Closer inspection revealed a tall earth pony with a creamy purple body and a pink purple curled mane. Light green eyes. Cheerilee. Following behind her was a group of school of kids (foals?). Three of them I recognized right away; an orange and purple Pegasus, a white and purple pink unicorn, and last but certainly not least, a yellow and red earth pony with a large pink bow.

Madre de Dios. I knew some of the other foals but these were the three that everyone loved. So. Fucking. Cute. I couldn’t believe I was watching this group of foals. Cheerilee was leading the class near the Everfree forest. Man, I miss field trips. College is fun and all, but my last field trip was a nine mile run in full gear through the surrounding city. Fuck that.

I swiveled my binoculars ahead of the group to see where they were heading. I guess that small pond at the edge of the field. That was the only thing out here; other than those glowing yellow eyes coming from the forest near the pond. Wait. What?

I focused on the eyes, slanted yellow eyes. What had those; cockatrice? No. Hydras? Yes but not this low to the ground. What else lived in the woods? Woods. Timber Wolves. Damn it.

The group of foals were bouncing along happily trotting right towards the group of hungry eyes. I counted eight pairs of glowing evil yellow eyes. I had seen these eyes before. Eyes of a predator that was hungry. A now dead manticore had had the same look before I blew out its brains.

Well, I had told Zecora that the time and place to make myself known to pony-kind would reveal itself. I just didn’t think the time would be so soon, or in front of a group of schoolfoals. The eyes vanished. I scanned the edge of the Everfree but couldn’t find them. Shit. I had lost track of the Timber wolves.

“Fuck.” I stood up to a crouch and moved along the Everfree towards the group of ponies. I needed to stay nearby incase the worst happened. I’ll be damned if anything attacks the CMC…or the other ponies. Even Diamond Bitch Tierra and Silver Snotty Spoon.

“Now class, stay together. We are nearing the duck pond, but stay away from the Everfree forest. I know some of you like to explore it.” I was close enough to hear Cheerilee talking to the group of excited school foals. The class had now gathered near the duck pond and was looking into the clear water. Cheerilee picked up a lily pad and was explaining something about it. I was too busy looking at the evil eyes that had appeared behind the group on the other side of the Everfree forest. I was directly across from the group of Timber Wolves; Eight eyes, four Timber wolves I had already taken on a manticore and won. How hard could 4 of them be?

The Timber Wolves leapt out of the forest all at once; if I had blinked I would have missed it. They moved fast. Shit snacks. Alright. Let’s save some foals.

***************************************************************************

“Now girls pay attention, this will be on the quiz. This lily pad has a pink flower and Zecora pointed out last field trip, it can be used for… anypony?” Cheerilee scanned the group of colts and fillies.

A yellow earth pony spoke up, “Is it added to aloe plant to create a burn lotion?”

“Very good Applebloom; yes when added to aloe it creates a very soothing burn ointment, very useful for a future chef.” She winked at a small chubby colt named Chowder; who shuffled his hooves.

“This is added…” A loud growl interrupted Cheerilee as four large Timber Wolves jumped out of the Everfree forest and began to slowly circle the group of innocent ponies.

“G-e-e-t-t-t...be-be-hind me class.” Miss Cheerilee said as bravely as possible. She had though that coming her in the middle of the day would be safe, the Timber Wolves were night hunters.

As the class grouped up behind the shaking teacher, the wolves moved in for the kill.

Cheerilee braced herself to try and buck the wolf that made the first attack but it never came. She opened her eyes to see all the wolves staring at something behind the class. She noticed that the group of school foals were also looking behind them. She risked turning her head from the Timber Wolves and couldn’t believe what she saw; some tall bipedal creature stood behind them. It was at least 6 feet tall and held some black rectangular thing in its claws. It was wearing some type of armored clothing that was different shades of green and tan coloring. It had this look of determination in its eyes; ignoring her group of foals, the tall creature moved towards the growling and snarling Timber Wolves.

***************************************************************************

I stepped out of the forest as the Timber Wolves all moved to the front of the class. My heart was pounding in my chest and my rifle was at the ready. My pistol was cocked and readied in the holster should I need it. And I hoped it didn’t come down to using the knife. The wolves noticed me and stopped staring at the group of ponies.

That’s right, look at me. Come at me. I took a step forward. From my peripheral vision I noticed some of the foals cringe from me. I ignored them, hoping that if I didn’t pay any attention to them; they wouldn’t believe that I was here to hurt them; but to protect them. Put myself in danger to save them…why does that sound so familiar?

The Timber Wolves all began to growl and snarl at me. What looked like sap dripped off their wooden fangs? Those would leave some nasty splinters. I moved around the shaking group of foals and their teacher so that I was now in front of them and facing the wolves head on.

I clicked off the safety on the rifle, “Leave them alone.” One of the wolves took a step closer to me, opening its jaw letting out a deep growl that sent goose bumps along my arms.

“Wrong move, timber bitch.” I squeezed the trigger.

BANG

Tink

That wolf leapt at me as I pulled the trigger. I dove out of the way as a now headless wolf slammed into the ground; sap was leaking out of the stump of its head, pooling onto the ground. I looked up in time to use the rifle as a shield as another Timber wolf jumped at my throat. Holding it back with one hand on the rifle, I fumbled with the holster cover and drew Spike. I placed the barrel against the wolf’s temple and jerked the trigger three times.

BANG BANG BANG

Tink Tink tink

The wolf’s body thumbed to the ground along with three red hot glowing shells. The exit wounds from the pistol rounds had caused half of the wolf’s head to go missing. Holstering the pistol and shouldering the rifle I faced down the last two Timber Wolves that stood side by side. They charged at me together.

BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG

Tink Tink Tink Tink Tink

That one fucking wolf ducked behind the other so it absorbed all five rounds. It broke apart into thousands of splinters and chunks of sappy wood. The last wolf dove at me once its comrade fell to the ground.

I shoulder rolled out of its path and raised the weapon at its back.

Click-tink-click

Of all my luck, God jam it. A red hot casing was stuck in the ejection port along with a piece of sappy wood. I dropped the rifle and tried to draw the pistol but it was too late. The Timber wolf latched its jaw onto my right arm.

“AHHHHHHHHHHH” I hollered as the wooden teeth broke through the jacket and into the skin, plunging their way to the bone. Using my left had I yanked out Bad Bertha and made a slash at the creatures neck. A clean miss. I hadn’t even felt the knife make contact with the wolf’s neck.

THUMP

THUMP

I looked down to see the decapitated wolf twitching on the ground. Blood dripped of my right arm and joined with the sap coming out of its body. My knife had a coating of gooey sap on its blade.

Well shit. That wasn’t a miss. Bad Bertha had just cut through its neck of wood like a hot knife through warm butter. Damn. I guess the magic metal coating had really made this knife sharp.

The whole fight had lasted maybe 45 seconds. The group of ponies still were rooted to the spot near the pond.

I sheathed BB and leaned over picked up my rifle in the bloody hand. I pulled back the charging handle and the brass shell and wood came out. I clicked the safety on.

“Um, stay safe, y’all.” And with that I nodded to the ponies and wandered back into the woods towards my camp. I felt bad leaving them with their jaws on the ground; but I needed my first aid kit, some tweezers, and a lot of rest.

That was one hell of a mini-adventure.











And this shows that humans are in no way invincible in the World of Equestria.