• Published 7th Jun 2012
  • 21,241 Views, 1,036 Comments

The Equestrian Honor Guard - Honored Service



A military college student is thrown into the land we all know and love.

  • ...
91
 1,036
 21,241

The Dream's Aspirations

The Equestrian Honor Guard
Chapter 28
By Honored Service



I took another deep breath and slowly exhaled as I gained control of my heart rate. I stared at the simple red and white circle target down range, the bow was drawn and tight in my hands. Another deep breath. Peace, calm, tranquility, then let the arrow fly and strike its target down.


"Hurry up Honored!" Screamed the energetic yellow Pegasus as he hovered near by.


I eased the tension off the bow string and lowered the bow. "Listen Quick Flurry, this takes patience and skill not quick shots placed here and there. The arrows from a bow need to strike vital spots on the target to stop it."


That silenced Flurry as I readied myself once more for my shot. Deep breath, peace, be the arrow.


I pulled the arrow back till the string was as tight as it could be. Let's show these ponies why humans were natural fighters.


SNAP


"Ouch! Fuck!" I dropped the bow and cupped my hands on the slash that ran across my check. That cheap fucking bow string, it had popped and whipped across my face. My money maker.


I pulled my hands backed and saw a thin line of blood running across both my palms. Just fucking great, another damn injury.


"Fuck this!" I reached to my side and brought my rifle up to my shoulder and aimed at the unlucky target down range that had evaded all my arrows.


BANG

Tink


The wood and straw target exploded into chunks and pieces of wood and littered the entire range. I clicked the safety back on and let the rifle drop back to my side. Fuck you archery.


I ran a hand across my face and saw that it was still bleeding. Damn it, looks like I get to go see my new favorite pony again. I started off towards the infirmary for the third conscious trip.


"You okay there friend?" Asked the silver and green unicorn who trotted up next to me.


"Oh hey there Battle Plan, yeah I'm fine, my pride is hurt more than my face." I placed another hand across the gash and saw it was still bleeding a bit.


"I saw it happen Honored, sometimes after extended use, these bow strings become rather worn and should be replaced but they don't." We turned a corner and headed down towards the building that held the infirmary. A light breeze rolled over us and my duster flapped behind me as we walked. The cool breeze was welcomed on this warm afternoon.


"How did you do it so well Battle?" Battle Plan was never one for boasting or getting cocky but I had watched him fire 10 arrows dead center on his target less than an hour ago. He used his magic to hold the bow and arrow, but his shots were perfect, once they left the bow.


"Well the trick is really quite simple Honored. You see when you use the bow, you take your time and concentrate, but what about on an open field. Are you going to have time to take a deep breath and wait 15 seconds to control your heart rate? No you just need to... how did you put it... be the arrow. Let the force of yourself and the arrow become one and... oh how is it said... let it fly?" The smart unicorn looked up at me, the sun glinting off his glasses.


"You know what Battle Plan; I'll try that next time. Thanks." I patted him on the shoulder.


"No problem Honored, I'm glad I was able to offer you assistance. A story for the foals one day."


"What?" I asked as I opened the double doors leading into the infirmary. The nurse behind the counter saw me and sighed. She lifted a hoof and pointed down the hallway to the right; I waved a hand at her and walked down the corridor to Dr. Careful's office.


"Once I start a family, I'll be able to tell them I trained with Equestria's only human, and that I was able to help him." Battle Plan smiled at me as I knocked on the door into the office.


"Honored I swear if that's you!" Came the reply from the other side of the door.


"Oh darn Doc, how'd ya know it was me?" I opened the door and sat down on the table in the center of the room.


"Because, ever other patient is escorted by the nurse, and you are the only one that knocks." He trotted in front of me and stared at the gash across my face.


He levitated a cotton swab over and rubbed it across the cut.


"Hssh owwww that stings!" I recoiled from the evil white cotton swab that levitated in front of my face.


"Oh come on Honored, this is what hurts you? Not a bite from a Timber Wolf, not a punch from Lightning Strike, not a stab from an Ophiotaurus , but a little alcohol to sterilize the wound is what does it?" I just smiled weakly at the doctor. He didn't seem amused and just pressed the swab back against the wound.

Battle Plan gave a little laugh from the corner of the room from behind a magazine he picked up. I shot a glare at him.


"There, that's all I can do Service. It isn't deep enough to need stitches but it is going to leave a little scar."


I let out sigh. Another mark on my body showing my progress towards the ever looming fight between myself and this 'Nightmare' I knew almost nothing about.


"Well your side is also healing well, since you were able to walk here with little difficulty. The healing solution I put on it is working quickly. Please take it easy for another day at least." Dr. Careful levitated a bowl of lollipops over to me, "Now for being such a good patient you can have one." He cracked a smile at his attempt to humiliate me... but jokes on him because I walked away from the infirmary with two handfuls of lollipops.

*****************


"I still don't see why you took so many of the lollipops." Battle Plan trotted next to me as we made our way back towards the training field. My right breast pocket on my chest rig was filled with lollipops.


"You see, the kind doctor thought that my pride wouldn't allow me to take one since he was hinting at me being a little foal. So I took more." I popped a red strawberry flavored sweet into my mouth and looked down at Battle Plan. He just stared at me. "Whmt? Wamt onm?" I held out a nasty green apple one to him.


"Ah no thanks, you can keep them." But he was smiling and laughed a little bit at me and my crazy antics.

"Honored can you believe that only a little over a week ago we were just starting out training?" I shook my head at him. Damn this was some good strawberry flavoring or I guess it was natural here in Equestria.


"Yeah Battle Plan, and only 7 more to go!" We walked onto the training field and back towards where Saddle Company was still practicing with the bows.


THUNK


Another one of arrows hit the target in the second ring. I wasn't as good as Battle Plan, but I was damn good with the bows. I took Battle's advice to heart and stopped trying to use the bow like a sniper rifle and more like a point and click weapon, and it was working.

My training was once again back on track and steadily moving forward as I got better and better and as Saddle Company got better and better.


****************************


Three thousand miles away from the human in training, another force was at training. And it too was getting better and better.


The tall shiny black figure blasted another boulder with its sickly green magical energy.


BOOM


Chunks of stone rained down all around the lone fighter. "Muhahaha! This queen has more magical possibilities than that alicorn." Another rock was hit with green energy.


BOOM


"So much extra energy. So much potential. I'll make us stronger Queen. And I'll have my power and you'll have all of Equestria for yourself and your armies." the figure spoke to itself as no other creature was present with it.


"The human won't be a threat. An entire species couldn't stop me, let alone one. Oh no Queen, you can fly and use magic, I chose you to be my host. You found my prison and set me free, gave me a home, so I gave you this power."


BOOM


A rock the size of an 18 wheeler exploded like a firecracker. "Hahaha nothing can stop us alone, and combined with your armies; the whole world will fall prey to our might.


"And the best part Queen, is that fool Celestia thinks it will happen in a year."


The echoing of the evil laughter could be heard for miles but it nopony was around to hear it.


***********************


I woke up and jumped to my feet while grabbing my armor and duster and weapons. By the time I got to the door and opened it I was dressed and armored with my rifle slung across my back. I threw open the door to see the entire city of Canterlot on fire. Green and yellow flames covered everything; I stood frozen as I saw the castle of the Royal Alicorn Sisters crumble and fall off the side of the mountain to the land below. Changelings and ponies ran every direction chasing each other and fighting. And at the center of this hell I saw a creature that made me want to vomit with fear. A two legged creature wielding a rectangular weapon which fired in the direction of changelings and ponies alike, stood atop a flipped over market cart. A long duster flowed behind the creature as it turned to face me. It had glowing red eyes and a wicked evil smile. And a scar running across its cheek. It was me.


"Wake up Honored!"


I bolted upright in my bed covered in cold sweat. Fast Skies was standing next to my bed with a hoof on my shoulder. I looked around the room, everpony else was still fast asleep. Quick Flurry was snoring heavily and Hammer Strike rolled over.


"You were mumbling and started screaming." Fast Skies looked really concerned.


"Don't worry about it Sky, I just need to grab some air." I pulled myself out of bed and got dressed. I almost grabbed the rifle, but the dream was still fresh in my mind. I waved to Fast Skies who was still sitting near my bed and stepped out into the cool night.


I walked along the edge of the training camp, just thinking. That wasn't me in the dream, but yet it was. And that wasn't a dream, it was a nightmare.


"Halt!" I heard a voice command from behind me. "Oh it's you Honored." I turned to see Lightning Strike in his armor for guard duty.


"Good evening sir." I sad giving a crisp salute.


"Now what are you doing out here at this time of the night?" He stood next to me and sat down.


"Just needed to get out and get some fresh air."


"Alright Honored, stay safe." Lightning got up and trotted off to continue his rounds around the training camp.


I walked out the main gate and headed towards the gardens behind the castle. The lush green foliage and flowers were very calming to my running mind.


"Why does this happen. As soon as things get normal, one thing has to go and mess it all up!" I shouted at nothing in particular.


"I hope you don't mean me." I heard the soft voice say from above me. I looked up to see Fast Skies floating overhead.


"No I'm not talking about you Sky, it's just... It's nothing." I leaned forward against a railing that outlined a large flower garden. None of the flowers were in bloom, but the buds looked nearly ready to burst open. "Wait why would you be causing me trouble."


The Pegasus mare dropped lightly to the ground and rested next to me. She let out a long sigh. "Battle Plan was right, you are dense or just clueless."


"Okay what are you talking about Sky?" I was super confused. What is this crazy made on about?


Fast Skies turned to face me. She had on eye shadow? She never has worn that before... Oh. My. God.


My mind was trying to process what was going on.


The extra attention, the physical contact, the pouting when I had made a sexually innuendo, it finally makes sense to me.


Fast Skies had a crush on me! Or she was at least interested in me. Fuck. None of the FanFics I had read prepared me for a situation like this.


"Judging by the look on your face, I'll take it you finally figured it out." She let out a dry chuckle. "I guess humans are really dense."


"I like you Honored. No point in being subtle about it. I guess I forgot that you didn't know about pony traditions or stuff like that." She turned away from me and sat down and hung her head. I swore I heard her sniffle.


"Sky I..."


"No, let me finish Honored, I need to get this off my chest. All of it."


She sighed again, "Well you know I like you now, I guess you just couldn't read the signs. So I figured that after a while either you would realize it and confront me or that I would stop liking you. But then you put yourself in harm’s way to save me, and well then I realized that I wouldn't be able to simply stop liking you." I just stood there and listened to this strong mare who I had trained with break down and open herself up to me. It was so different to see her act... so emotional. It was a good kind of different.


"And once you passed out from the venom and weren't waking up... well we all assumed the worst. I was devastated. The guilt I felt knowing you were dying to save me directly. I... I felt completely alone Honored. And I hated you for protecting me. You didn't even know I liked you and there you were dying in front of me on the hospital bed." She broke down and began to cry into the bed of flowers. I moved over to her and placed an arm around her shoulders. Wow this was something she really needed to talk about. And I feel so bad for doing this to her, even if it was unintentional.


"So I gave you one of my primary feathers. It's... It has a deep meaning with us pegasus. Something really special."


She turned her head away from me and sniffled. I kept my arm around her. She needed some comfort.


"The primary feathers in Pegasus don't grow back once you lose them. And in Pegasus culture a female gives the male a primary feather showing her... commitment to her mate." Fast Skies stopped talking and turned to look up at me. Her eyes were still wet from crying and the fur around her eyes was wet with tears.


"Oh... And you want me... to be your mate?" My mind was still a little slow at processing all of this information.


Fast Skies simply nodded at me without looking away.


Oh god. What the hell should I do? I... I just couldn't really comprehend what was happening, but I knew what I had to do.


"Sky, look I... I think that you're an incredible mare but I'm a human and you're a pony. And we're both recruits and I... I just don't see how it could work."


A new stream of tears started coming from the young mare. I reached over and placed my hand on her cheek and lifted her head so I was staring into her large sea green eyes. I swept my hand over her face and brushed some of her orange mane off her face; she sniffled again and blinked away more tears.


"But I am willing to give it a shot." I gave her a smile and flashed her smile.


"Really Honored Service?" She sniffled and wiped a hoof across her nose.


"Sure Sky, I'll give it a chance, I'm here in Equestria to stay. And you are a great mare. I mean it Sky." I stood up and pulled Fast Skies to her hooves. "Come on Sky, let's go back to the barracks and get some sleep. We can talk more about... us... next time we get leave."


Sky gave a genuine smile, "I like that idea Honored."