• Published 4th Jan 2016
  • 3,806 Views, 781 Comments

Sunny's Days - Anzel



Sunny enjoys an easy life of fun in the sun and even more fun in the sheets. All she wants to do is have a good time, but the universe has other plans in mind for her.

  • ...
17
 781
 3,806

27. The Summer Sun

“Sunny, get up,” said the hoof poking my cheek. My eyes slowly opened to find Dolly staring down at me. “Get up.”

I reached up and idly booped her nose. “No.”

She booped me back. “Yes. You promised you’d help me get the bar ready for our big Summer Sun event.”

“Yes, I did. I said I’d help on Friday.”

Dolly laughed. “It is Friday!”

“What!” I squeaked. “How?”

“You’ve been partying pretty hard since you got your certificate and used almost all of your leave. So now I need your help while I still have you.”

Had it really gone by that fast? Almost two weeks of leave. It had been kind of a blur, actually. Afternoons with Melody and Strong, evenings at the Contraire, and hot nights with Diddle, Soarin, or Dilly.

I rolled out of bed and grumbled, “Okay, just let me get a shower. What are we doing again?”

“Cleaning, decorating, and stocking up for an extremely long night,” Dolly said, amusement creeping into her voice.

“Why does it sound like you’re enjoying this?” I asked as I trotted into the guest bathroom.

“I’m enjoying seeing you acting like you. You have two side: Wild Sunny and Responsible Sunny. It is nice to see wild Sunny.”

Through blurry vision, I used my magic to turn on the shower. It would take a bit before the water heated up, so I brushed my teeth. “Wild Sunny is tired,” I groused before getting into the shower.

“Wild Sunny has been sleeping a few hours a night, so maybe she should let Responsible Sunny help me today. See you there!”

“Yeah… sure!” The hot water slowly turned Grumpy Sunny into Awake Sunny. I was also starting to think there were far too many Sunnys. Today would be a Responsible Sunny day. At least until the party started. The Summer Sun Celebration was a big deal!

It marked the anniversary of the day that Princess Celestia defeated the dark dragon… or night witch… nightmare? Something. She defeated something and since that something was defeated, we’d lived in greater harmony with each other and other beings.

As such, we celebrated the defeating of the something by staying up all night, watching the sun rise, and partying the whole time. It was basically the perfect holiday ever!

After finishing up my shower, I trotted out and down to the bar. Everypony on the staff was already hard at work. A few times a year, Dolly insisted we do a super cleaning. The kind where you get a toothbrush into the cracks.

Lollypop was dangling from the ceiling as she carefully hung a banner. “Hi, Sunny!”

“Hi, Lolly! Be careful!”

“I am. Mango is holding onto my safety line.”

I looked around. Mango was head first in the ice box doing something. The line in question was loosely tied to the leg of one of the booths. “Uh… sure.” I grabbed the line and held onto it to make certain things kept going smoothly.

Bright, sun-themed banners were hung with care while golden streamers crisscrossed the room. Dolly always went all out and the celebration usually brought in a ton of extra business.

Eventually, we got everything cleaned and decorated. Dolly hopped up on the bar and nodded. “Great job, girls! Now, we’re going to open at the usual time and it is going to be a long night and day after. I’ve set up a nice lunch for you in the break room. Have something to eat and then get some rest! Bring your party hats tonight.”

We all wandered towards the break room and I yawned. “I’m going to take a nap.”

Emerald Eyes replied, “Shocking.”

Mango muttered, “Coffee…”

“I hope we have a big crowd tonight. You know this is the thousandth anniversary,” Lollypop explained.

“Of what?”

“Of… uh… you know. The princess doing the thing.”

“Yeah, the thing!” Cherry said.

Dolly groaned. “She defeated the Mare in the Moon, you eejits. That is where the legend comes from. There was an evil unicorn that took control of the moon and refused to lower it so the princess banished her there.”

Emerald Eyes nodded. “Some ponies teach that it was her little sister, Luna.”

Dolly waved a hoof. “That’s an old mare’s tale. There is only one alicorn.”

Emerald’s brow raised. “And that is more of an old mare’s tale than a unicorn randomly becoming powerful enough to raise and lower the moon? So much so she took it away from the only alicorn?”

“Yes… wait… no. Okay, fair enough. Your thing is as good as my thing. I just couldn’t imagine family fighting to that extent, is all,” Dolly explained.

Emerald shrugged. “Times were a lot different a thousand years ago in the dark ages. Ponies weren’t as nice, there were far more creatures rampaging about, and most of it is still a big mystery.”

I idly pushed both of them towards the table that was full of delicious-looking fruits, breads, and vegetables. “Less talking, more stuffing faces.”

“What, you don’t like history?” Dolly asked.

“Boring!”

We started to eat, but Mango went over to the back door as if she was leaving.

“Where are you off to?” I asked.

“Coffee!” was all she said before disappearing.

I shrugged. “More fruit for me.”

When I’ve said the Mare Contraire was packed in the past, I had largely understated what the term meant. Tonight it was packed to the point where mares were rump to rump from the front door to the back.

“Sunny, I need ten strawberry, ten orange, ten grape, three starberry, four cherry, and six grape fizzy drinks!” Dolly shouted.

“Was that ten grape or sixteen?” I called back. Both of my forehooves were already working on the order while my magic floated glasses around.

“One order of ten and uh… no. Six white grape, ten grape grape.”

Emerald called out, “Ten white grape, six grape.”

“Wait… are you disagreeing with Dolly or do we need that many more?” I asked.

“That many more!”

“Okay! Ten strawberry, ten orange, sixteen grape, three starberry, four cherry, and sixteen white grape coming right up,” I parroted before getting down to actually making that staggering order.

It went on like that for hours. Of course, from my perspective time just flew by. I hadn’t made that many fizzy drinks in… ever.

“Fillies and mares! Fillies and mares, your attention please!” Dolly shouted from where she had perched on top of the bar. It was still loud but the crowd did lower from a roar to something less than that.

“I just wanted to let you know that it is almost time! If you want to see the sun rise, you need to head outside. We’re going to stop service so my employees can watch it, too. We will then resume for the day. Thank you for coming out!”

Ponies started filing out the door and into the street. The Mare Contraire was not going to be the best spot to view the sunrise from but it would do. Especially considering it provided plenty of drinks and eye candy.

Dolly hopped off the bar, stretched, and looked at all of us. “Alright, everypony outside. Time to watch the sun rise on the longest day of the year.”

We trotted out of the bar to find the crowd quiet and looking around in confusion. A chill wind blew along the street and caused me to shiver. “It’s cold? How is it cold?” It was the middle of summer!

Emerald Eyes looked around. “What in Equestria is going on?”

“It’s okay, everypony. We’ll warm up when Princess Celestia raises the sun,” Dolly said.

Despite Dolly’s words, something felt wrong. It was almost as if I knew it on instinct. Then I saw it. From above us a black mist started oozing down towards the city. “Gah!”

“What? What, Sunny?” Dolly asked.

I pointed up at the swirling black and purple fog that was starting to blanket the highest towers of Canterlot.

Dolly followed my hoof. “What? The sky? I don’t see anything.” She squinted.

“Me either! What are you looking at, Sunny?” Emerald asked.

“The mist! You don’t see the mist?”

“What mist?” Dolly asked.

“The mist!”

She shook her head. “The sky is clear.”

There was a sudden gasp behind us. The crowd of mares started chattering and pointing. “The moon! Look at the moon!”

I tore my eyes from the approaching cloud to the moon… the pure, pale white moon. “Where is the Mare?”

“I don’t know! What is going on?” Dolly asked, a slight quiver in her voice.

The moon was one thing, but the mist was going to be here soon. It reached the streets in long, black tendrils. I shivered again, fear starting to build within me.

“Dolly…” I whimpered before taking her hoof in mine. The mist hit us. It felt like the worst winter wind of my life and my feeling of fear spiked.

“It’s going to be okay, Sunny, we just need to—”

The city alarm bells started ringing. All of the ponies around us started jabbering fearfully.

Run. Run away! I could run… but no, I couldn’t! This is what I’d trained for! Melody wouldn’t run away from a fire, she’d run into it. It was time to run into the fire, scared or not. “Dolly!”

She jumped. “What?”

“Get everypony back inside. Lock the door and keep them safe.”

Dolly blinked. “Sunny, what are you going to do?”

“My job.” I turned on the crowd. “Everypony, listen to me! I am Lieutenant Day, Royal Guard. You’re going to be safe inside the Mare Contraire. Immediately go inside. Dolly is… uh… the shelter captain. Do what she says, stay in place. Form a line and go in swiftly but in good order. Go now.”

I squeezed Dolly’s hoof. “Okay, Captain. Good luck.”

She squeezed back. “Be careful.”

I nodded and started heading towards the city center. It was slow going because of the confused crowds in the streets. They didn’t seem to know what to do. I had to get to the palace. That was where Central Command was. They’d know what was going on and they’d give me orders.

My hooves kept going even though my body wanted to run and hide… or just stand around like the rest of the ponies. They looked weird. Like… not themselves. It was the fear or the little whisper in the back of my mind. I could hear it as soon as the mist touched my coat.

It clung to me like an oily substance but nopony else seemed to see it… or, if they could, they weren’t reacting to it. Halfway up, I found a patrol of royal guards calling for ponies to go inside and stay there. As I trotted up, a sergeant held his hoof out.

“Miss, you need to go inside.”

“That is Lieutenant Miss! I mean, Lieutenant Day. Report!”

He snapped to attention. “Yes, ma’am! We’re not sure what is going on yet but ponies are acting crazy. We’ve had reports that a fight broke out in the lower area of the city. A guard was badly wounded and another was forced to kill in defense. It all happened so fast. Something is going on at the palace, too, but they haven’t said what. It is all rumors.”

Somepony was killed? By a guard? That… that happened like… never! Run. I shook it off. “Thank you. I’m going to go to the palace and see if I can help there. Keep at it here.”

“Yes, ma’am!” he replied before leading his squad off to send more ponies inside.

The closer I got to the palace, the thicker the mist was around me. It swirled through black, dark blue, and purple. It was distracting and difficult to see, but as I reached the main gates, I found guards were pouring through it.

Not just guards, though: recruits, officer trainees, and anypony remotely associated with the safety and security of the kingdom. As I got close, the gate patrol stopped me. “Miss, you can’t come in the palace, you’ll be safe in your home,” one of the stallions said.

“I’m a royal guard lieutenant,” I replied.

“Do you have any kind of identification?”

“What? No! I just came from a party. I’m a lieutenant with the Baltimare city guard. I can help.”

The stallion shook his head. “I’m sorry, miss, but this is the palace. We can’t just take your word that you—”

“She’s with me,” a red-maned mare said before grabbing my hoof and dragging me along.

As I followed along behind her, I knew she was familiar but had no idea why. Then it hit me. “Rose?”

“Close. Orchid. Come on, Lieutenant, we’ve got to figure out what is going around here.”

Together, we rushed into the courtyard where there were a few officers standing at the top of the steps, looking down at the disorganized mass of ponies.

Orchid let me go and said, “Good luck. I’ve got to go find my CO. House Guard will have to be with the princess tonight.”

“Thanks…” I replied before shifting into the crowd. I didn’t know any of these ponies nor did I have a commander. These were some of the best guards in the entire kingdom. Compared to them I was barely a guard. Run.

The dark thoughts just kept pushing into my mind. The mist swirled around me. I stomped my hoof and forced magical energy into my horn, lighting the tip in a bright orange glow. “Gah!”

I found myself next to a big, white pegasus with a blue mane. He was clearly a recruit given he was still in a uniform. In all of the turmoil, he was standing at perfect attention, eyes fixed up at the officers. He was waiting for orders. Wasn’t he afraid? I was afraid… but if he wasn’t going to show it, I wasn’t either.

As casually as I could, I eased up next to him and stood to attention. Other ponies started to take notice of that and did the same. Training was kicking in. As long as we were together, we could achieve anything.

On the top of the palace steps, a broad-shouldered, white unicorn stallion stepped forwards. His golden armor gleamed even in the darkness. “Everypony, thank you for coming so quickly. I don’t have to tell you that something foul is ahoof. We have a duty to this kingdom tonight to protect her subjects.

“All of your commanders have been summoned. Following this briefing, city guards and recruits are to fall out into the city and clear the streets. All civilians are to be sheltered indoors. Palace guards, soldiers, and anypony else that happens to be here will be on search duty… As to who you’ll be searching for…”

The stallion paused a moment before drawing his helmet off. “Princess Celestia has disappeared without warning. Her house guards report that she was in her study preparing for the ceremony and then simply wasn’t.”

The courtyard had already been quiet but now nopony moved, nopony spoke. What did he mean the princess had disappeared? How does she just disappear?

“I expect you all to keep this information in complete confidence. Do not incite further unrest by terrifying civilian ponies. City guards and recruits are dismissed. Protect her subjects.”

The big pegasus next to me turned around and fell in with the bunch that started marching out into the city.

The princess was gone? I was going to be on her search party? What in Equestria was happening!

Author's Note:

I have been so eager to share this chapter for the longest time. Not so much THIS chapter but what happened THAT night in Q&B. This is Sunny's view of course but we also heard about another little pony we know. Plus we saw a big pony we're familiar with. Stay tuned!

If you are enjoying this story, please consider taking a look at Crystal and my's website QuillnBlade.com for extra content such as mini stories, an Ask Us form to submit questions, responses to said questions, and special rewards for the awesome folks who support our Patreon.