• Published 4th Jan 2016
  • 3,801 Views, 781 Comments

Sunny's Days - Anzel



Sunny enjoys an easy life of fun in the sun and even more fun in the sheets. All she wants to do is have a good time, but the universe has other plans in mind for her.

  • ...
17
 781
 3,801

21. Soarin to Sucking

Soarin stood in my doorway staring at me with his jaw slightly open. He’d been that way for about two minutes and I was worried all the blood had rushed out of his head to parts further back and thus starved his brain.

Not that I was complaining, of course. It was nice to feel pretty and, whether I liked it or not, I’d picked up a lot of beauty tips from my subordinates. That was kind of nice but the work wasn’t very fulfilling. Of course, that was a weekday problem. This was the weekend and I had a fit, eager stud staring at me.

My hoof went to his mouth so that I could move it up and down as I spoke in the deepest voice I could. “Hello, Sunny, it’s been a while, I’m so happy to see you. You look hot!”

“Well thank you, Soarin!” I replied.

He snorted and lightly pushed my hoof free. “Sorry. You do look hot, though. I mean, you’ve always been pretty, but you’ve done something to… I’d guess everything?”

“You could say that. Mostly the mane and tail. They’re both a lot longer and I spend more time styling them. I’m glad you approve. Plus, I’m at the gym six days a week now.”

“For physical training,” he put in.

Right… Royal Guard PT. Hardly. It was more making sure I kept my figure and looked good to keep the vice colonel off my back. “Sure! Speaking of which, you’re looking fit like always. Although maybe even more so. Also… would you like to come in instead of just standing out in the hall staring at me?”

Soarin’s ears shot up and his face shifted from blue to pink. “Oh, yes, please.”

I stepped out of the way and motioned him inside. Once he was, my magic closed the door while I went to the couch and slipped onto it.

“Your place is pretty decent. Do you have a roommate?” he asked.

“No, I don’t know anypony, but with the housing allowance and my own money it isn’t too bad to live alone. The added benefit is that I don’t have to worry about coming home and finding a maneband hanging on the door warning me off.”

He chuckled. “I imagine you’d be the one hanging the band.”

“Hey!”

“I call it like I see it!” He sidled up next to me and settled.

I glared a bit but then shrugged. He knew me well enough. “So, your letter said something big happened? What’s the deal? Are you getting married?”

“Married? What? No! I made the team!”

The team. What team? I didn’t remember him playing any sort of sports.

His eyes met mine and it seemed like he could tell I was struggling. “The team as in the Wonderbolts team!”

“Oh my goodness!” I squealed. That was huge news! My hooves flew around him. “You achieved your dream! You’re going to fly with Solar Winds and the best flyers in all of Equestria!”

Soarin lightly coughed and then rubbed his hooves together. “Not exactly.”

“But you just said you made the team?”

He rubbed behind his head. “I did… the Delta squadron. You see, there are four Wonderbolt squadrons. Alpha is the big one. That is the one you see all over the place and that is the team Solar Winds leads.

“Then you have the Bravo and Charlie squadrons. They do a lot of shows too. Usually smaller venues and mostly for free. They’re like outreach programs for the Navy and kingdom. Cool things like that. You don’t normally make Alpha without going through those two.”

My head tilted. “And you’re on Delta.”

“Right… Delta is the training squadron, more or less. Deltas fill in for members of Bravo and Charlie when they need a vacation, are sick, or are filling in for somepony on Alpha. You learn all the ropes in Delta and make your way up.”

“Who do you do shows for?”

Soarin turned pink again.

“Come on, tell me!”

“Mostly retired ponies and elementary school field trips. They come out to our facility and watch. We treat it as if it was an actual show. I know this all sounds silly but it is a huge deal! Virtually no pony ever made to Alpha without going through Delta and then Bravo or Charlie.”

I shook my head and squeezed him tightly. “I’m not teasing! I think it is amazing. A Wonderbolt is a Wonderbolt. I know you’ll make Alpha someday. Can I come see your show? Where is it?”

He smiled shyly and nuzzled my cheek. “Anytime you want. We’re actually nearby in Fillydelphia. It would just be a short train ride for you to come visit me.”

Fillydelphia was a day trip, easily! Less for a Wonderbolt. Having Soarin close would be great. “I’d love to come visit. It is awesome to hear you’ve been assigned out this way. It’s been a bit lonely with my new job and leaving Canterlot.”

“Yeah? How is that job? Are you loving being a guard?”

I didn’t want to kill the mood so I just kissed his cheek before rubbing up against him. “This visit is about your amazing news, not my job.”

He blinked and turned to look at me. “Is everything okay, Sunny?”

“Yeah… I just… I mean being a guard is great. My unit, though. It’s the complaint department and the commander just cares about us looking pretty. She’s been there almost eight years.”

“Eight years!” He then caught whatever face I’d made. “I mean… I’m sure she has a reason and I’m sure that won’t happen to you. You just have to try real hard and… you’re not buying this, are you?”

“No, I found myself a dead end at the start of the career. I’ll work it out, though. I’ve been thinking about going to captain’s school. I might get lucky and make some connections and my commander can’t really deny the request.”

He nodded. “Yeah, that’s smart. You’re a strong pony, you’ll get out of this. Just try to figure out where you’d like to go and start working on that. I’m sure you have good reviews at least, right?”

“Totally. Don’t get me wrong, I work hard at my job. It just doesn’t matter is all. The vice colonel loves me so my reviews have been solid. It’s just hard to say you want to be a city guard when you’ve been riding a desk for your whole career. You know, things like that. If I’m not careful, they’ll send me somewhere out west to manage a supply depot next.”

Soarin cleared his throat and asked, “Would that be better or worse?”

My face felt hot and I let him go long enough to cover it. “I don’t know!”

While I couldn’t see, a gentle pair of hooves carefully circled my body and pulled me tight. “Listen, Sunny, it isn’t going to be like that forever. You’re doing the right thing, I’m sure. Work hard, go to captain’s school, and move on from there.

“I don’t know many ponies in the Royal Guard, but I’ll start asking around. I’m sure there is something in Fillydelphia for you to transfer to. Then you could be closer to me…” He trailed and then added nervously, “Assuming that is something you’d want.”

I pressed against him and before shifting my hooves behind his head and stroking his mane. “I think being closer to you would be good for me regardless of the job situation.”

He nodded and squeezed me. “Then we’ll work on that. Now, are you ready for a night on the town? You sure look like you are.”

“We could do that. Of course, on the other hoof, we could stay here together and I could treat you to a home cooked meal and a fresh dessert.”

“What’s for dessert?”

“Pie!”

“Oh, well, let’s stay here, then.”

Soarin was sprawled across my bed, face down, with his head hanging off the edge. His forelegs were dangling and, for the most part, he looked like a limp noodle. I was nestled up against his side and feeling quite drained.

“This has been a good week,” he muttered softly.

“Uh-huh.”

“I’m really glad you’re a short flight away now.”

“Uh-huh.”

“I really need to get back to base so I can get ready for training. You’ve worn me out,” he huffed.

I nibbled on his ear and whispered, “Is that a problem?”

“No, although I’m going to have serious stamina issues.”

“You didn’t last night or this morning.”

He laughed and slowly drew himself up. “Alright, I need to go. I’ve got to get some work done for a few days, but I’ll come back next weekend, if that is okay?”

“Absolutely! I’ll look forward to it.” I rolled over and pulled the blanket around myself. I didn’t have to go to work for another hour or so. Why not catch a short nap?

Soarin kissed my forehead. “Alright, I’ll see you soon. Have a good day!”

I parroted off, “Thank you, you, too! Don’t forget your comment card.”

The stallion’s ears shot up. “Comment card?”

“What? Oh! Sorry, habit.”

He stopped and grinned at me. “Oh yeah? You give all of your stallions a comment card? That way they can report on your performance? What do they say, that Sunny Day is a willing contributor? She’s flexible in her tasks? Customer satisfaction is important?”

I snorted and wrapped a pillow in my magic before flinging it at him. “Okay, you! I’ll remember that. No pie next time.”

He laughed and trotted out of the bedroom. “We’ll see! Take it easy, Sunny, I’ll see you soon.”

Yes, Soarin being close was going to work out. It was nice having a friend again. With a small grumble, I slipped out of bed and went to get cleaned up. Being at work early wasn’t a bad thing and the sooner the day started, the sooner it could end so that I could move on to the next thing!

I went through all of the motions to get myself ready. That usually took a while, but I’d managed to get it down to a science: shower, mane, tail, brush, mane, glitter, mane, and hooves. Easy!

Then it was on to the office! When I arrived, Mythic was already there doing paperwork.

“Good morning, Lieutenant! How’re you?”

“Doing well! How’re you?”

“Oh, fine! Just getting ahead so I’ll have more time for the shoot next week.”

My head tilted. “The shoot?”

“Yes for the…” Her voice turned to a whisper. “C.O.C.”

I giggled. “You don’t have to whisper!”

“You turned it into a dirty word!” she replied with flushed cheeks.

“Oh my gosh, you’re adorable.” I trotted over and pinched her cheek in a professional way. Then I went to make some tea.

Mythic waved a hoof at me. “My momma raised me to be a lady. You know, the kind you see in Canterlot.”

My ears perked at that. I’d had plenty of Canterlot ladies in my bed. “She did really good. Just remember, though, not all Canterlot ladies are nice. They just look pretty on the outside, but they’re actually kind of sour on the inside.”

Van Glorious walked through the door. “Morning,” he said.

“Although I guess that is anywhere. Morning!”

Van paid me no mind. “I hope you girls have picked out some great socks. I’ve already done all of my shopping.”

Socks, huh? What was it, a sale or something? For some reason, ponies had really been into socks lately. I thought they were weird. It made it harder to do anything with your hooves. At least I had my levitation spell.

“Yup! I found some cute rainbow ones,” Mythic replied.

“How about you, Lieutenant?” Van asked.

“No?”

His head tilted. “No? But you’re Miss Thunder. Shouldn’t you be wearing summer-themed socks?”

I looked from one pony to the other. “What’s going on here?”

Mythic picked up a piece of paper. “Did you not see the vice colonel’s memo?”

Of course not! The mare wrote twenty memos a day. Most of them were drawings of her cats. I’d tried to unsubscribe but she thought I was being playful.

“That vacant look tells us no,” Van said before pressing close to get to the tea. I moved.

“The—” Mythic paused to whisper again, “…C.O.C.s theme this year is Sensual Socks.”

“Come again?”

“Sensual Socks,” Van said loudly next to me. “You know, something that adds an additional little oomph to a pony’s physique.”

“Of course. If anypony needs me, I’ll be in my office doing paperwork,” I replied before taking my tea and heading off. Once inside, I closed the door and pulled out the application for captain’s school. Sensual Socks… calendars… this wasn’t helping ponies! It was just about flaunting beauty and it was starting to drive me nuts.

I wondered what Dolly would think of all this. She’d been so proud of me when I’d decided to enlist and make a difference. Instead, I was just a joke. We all were.

It wouldn’t do any good to wallow in it, though! It was time to get moving in the right direction and I had a plan for that.

“Yes, Sunny! Yes! Yes! Just like that! Right there! Right there! Good! Just a little more! And I’m done!”

I waited for Candid Camera to turn around before rolling my eyes. He was way, way into this. As best I could tell, he thought he was one of those big, famous Manehattan photographers but we couldn’t get them even if we could afford it. They didn’t shoot calendars.

Sensual Socks was turning into quite the ordeal. This was my third shoot. Evidently on the first day, the sun was wrong. On the second, I’d looked ‘a bit too pouty.’ If he or the vice colonel came back and said something was wrong today, I couldn’t be responsible for what happened next!

Beyond that, I looked ridiculous. I had picked light blue socks with happy, smiling suns on them. Vice Colonel Wonder was speaking quietly with Candid Camera and had been maintaining the whole photo shoot as if she were a director.

Finally, after the two of them made some sort of decision in hushed tones, she came over and said, "I think we got it today, Sunny! You’re all set! ”

“Good. That's great, I'm going to go ahead and get out of your way because I know you're next. ”

“Oh, yes! ” Vice Colonel Wonder beamed. “Candid Camera always saves the best for last. That, and my shoots always take longer. ”

I started to nod and turned to leave, but stopped and instead asked, “Did you have a chance to look at my application for captain’s school? ”

Her smile fell. “I did, yes. Why don’t we put it away for now, though? You’re doing an amazing job as it is, you don’t need to be a captain to manage your team, and it is my policy for a pony to wait a year before starting this sort of thing. ”

It took all of my self-control not to let my disappointment and the fact that I was really upset cross my face. I nodded numbly and left the conference room without comment.

I’d already been here half a year doing this mindless, thankless job. I couldn’t imagine going another before even starting the process for school. She’d have me for at least two years that way! Perhaps more.

If she wanted me to wait for this, how long would she make me wait to be put on the promotion list? How long would I have to wait for a transfer? I let myself in the back door and went straight to my office and shut the door.

Tears welled in the corners of my eyes but I fought the urge to cry. It would just cause my makeup to run. When I tried to wipe the moisture away, I found myself staring at the stupid little smiling sun on my socks.

Anger flared in my chest. With my magic, I ripped the stupid things off my hooves and threw them against the wall. This wasn’t what I wanted! I should have worked harder. I should have taken being a guard more seriously. This was my fault, but the vice colonel shouldn’t be doing this, either!

I sat for a minute more, seething. I could quit. I could just resign my commission and walk off the job. Ponies did that… sucky ponies, anyway. I wasn’t a sucky pony. I’d worked too hard to get here… well, relatively hard. No, I’d just have to go around her. Do something that would make me stand out other than comment cards.

Blackberry might know what to do. I could write her a letter and see if she’d be able to help me. Then there was Pony Resources upstairs. They helped with this sort of thing. too, right? What commander would want a glamour girl, though? They’d all think I was just some pretty face with no talent.

I sighed and got up. Regardless of the pit in my stomach, there was work to do. Mythic waved at me on my way to the front. I’d waved back halfheartedly.

The front room and lobby was relatively empty. That was good, since I didn’t really want to deal with anypony. Van Glorious was at his station helping some stallion out. Canary was, too. I moved to an empty one and started getting ready to help ponies.

The main door suddenly burst open with such a force that they hit the walls and bounced back. Just before it slammed closed, a little pink pegasus filly had flown in and was standing in the middle of the lobby. I had never seen so much pink on a single pony in my life. Light pink, dark pink, medium pink, and even more pink!

She had a hoof out in front of her that she wiggled as if she was tugging at a rope. Slowly, she started to move again without paying us any attention. The filly made a circle and then started off in a direction while mumbling to herself.

"Can I help you?" Van asked.

"Nope!" she chimed in an adorable, high-pitched squeaky voice. The gangly filly with legs that were just a little too long for her tiny body suddenly burst into a gallop for the back office door. She almost seemed shocked when she found it was locked.

“Miss, that is a restricted area. You can’t go back there,” I said before turning and walking towards her curiously.

The filly was on her hind legs, pushing at the door with her forelegs. That effort drew a lot of attention to her cutie mark: one big heart, two medium ones, a smaller one, and half of one the same size.

She looked up at me with determination in her eyes. “If I don't get through this door right now, I'm going to have a heart attack!”

Author's Note:

If you are enjoying this story, please consider taking a look at Crystal and my's website QuillnBlade.com for extra content such as mini stories, an Ask Us form to submit questions, responses to said questions, and special rewards for the awesome folks who support our Patreon.