• Published 4th Jan 2016
  • 3,801 Views, 781 Comments

Sunny's Days - Anzel



Sunny enjoys an easy life of fun in the sun and even more fun in the sheets. All she wants to do is have a good time, but the universe has other plans in mind for her.

  • ...
17
 781
 3,801

13. Protect Your Own

“Sunny? Sunny? Sunny, it’s okay.”

It was Melody’s voice. I couldn’t really hear it over the screaming. It was different from the scream before. This one sounded different. It was a mare’s voice, not a stallion’s.

It was me. I was screaming. I was looking at the huddled form of the green stallion and screaming.

Melody forcefully pulled me back and turned my face away. “Sunny, it’s okay. You’re okay. Look at me. Look at me, Sunny.”

I did. My voice gave out. I just rasped.

She looped a hoof around my neck and nuzzled my cheek. “It’s going to be okay. I promise.”

Strong came over and asked, “Is she alright? I’ve subdued the rest of them. After she… Well, nopony has any more interest in resisting.”

Melody shook her head. “I’m not sure. She hasn’t stopped screaming yet.” Her eyes turned back to me with concern. “Sunny? Are you with me?”

“Is that pony dead?” I whispered and tried to look.

A soft hoof kept me from doing so. “Let’s focus on something else. We’ve got this situation in hoof now. Strong and I are fine. You saved me. Can you send up another flare like you did before? We need to attract more attention.”

I shook my head no. No more magic. No more magic ever again.

Melody set her hooves on my shoulders. “Can you try? Sunny, we really need backup here. Can you please try?”

My eyes closed tightly. I could feel the heat of tears rolling down my cheeks. At least I hoped it was tears. Focus, focus, focus. Just like Princess Celestia taught you. Feel the magic flow by your horn.

I pointed to the heavens again and sent up another blast. When it got high enough, I burst it out again. This one was even brighter than before. It lit up the entire night sky. I heard everypony around me gasp and when my eyes opened the bad ponies were cowering.

They were afraid for their lives. Afraid of me. Afraid of Sunny Day.

“Again, Sunny,” Melody said, shifting her hoof to my cheek and forcing me to look only at her.

With my eyes focused on Melody, I did it again and again. Six times in all before Royal Guard pegasi streamed down from the sky.

Strong Wing called out, “I’m Sergeant Wing and that is Sergeant Ward. We’ve had some trouble here.”

The pony with the biggest helmet plumage looked around and said, “It looks like you have it all under control now.” His head tilted as he caught sight of the green pony. “Does he need a medic?”

My pegasus friend cleared his throat softly. “No, sir. The rest of these are part of some kind of smuggling ring. Two others fled into the forest but I imagine they’re long gone now. These are the leaders.”

“Alright, Sergeant. Let’s get you all to Canterlot and sort this out. I’ll need to check that you are who you say you are. Everypony here will submit and come back for questioning.”

A pegasus stallion came over to Melody and I. She looked at him and said, “She’s not a guard. Be gentle with her, please.”

He nodded and looped his hooves under my forehooves. “Yes, Sergeant. We’ll see you back at the station.”

The station. No medic. What had I done?

I was vaguely aware of Dolly standing against my left side. She was dressed up in a nice blouse. Melody was on my right in her armor. I hadn’t really dressed at all. Just my mane. Dolly had done my mane.

I’d been living in her bedroom for about a week now. She’d been handling most of my responsibilities for me. She said I had to be here for this one. This was something she couldn’t do for me and that it might help.

Some Royal Guard general was standing in front of us looking at me. There were others in the room, including Strong Wing and a few I recognized from the Helping Hooves program.

“Today is a day of mixed feelings. I feel both pride and sorrow. We wish to recognize a pony that took initiative and did what was necessary to save one of our own. At the same time, we know that her actions came at a great personal cost.

“Sunny Day, when danger found you, you did not hide or retreat. You stepped forwards.” And killed a pony.

“You saved Sergeant Ward from severe injuries and possibly death. For that, I wish to extend to you the gratitude of the entire Royal Guard. Your actions further led to the arrest of a known criminal, the confiscation of dangerous goods, and the resolution of several open cases. You are an uncommon pony.”

Yes, the kind of pony that kills another pony. The rarest kind of pony.

He looked down to me instead of out at the crowd. “It is my privilege to name you an honorary royal guard and the Guard takes care of its own.”

The general opened a small box and pulled a medal out of it. He slipped it over my head. “This is the Medal of Bravery. It is awarded to ponies that show courage in the face of great adversity.

“As an honorary royal guard, you are eligible for it. Additionally, you are now eligible for all services the Guard has to offer. Thank you for what you’ve done. I hope in time you will recover from your wounds.”

I looked down at the medal dangling from my neck. It was bronze and shaped to look like Princess Celestia’s cutie mark. The ribbon was light blue and pink like her mane. Any other time I’d have thought it was pretty.

“Sunny, is there something you’d like to say to the colonel?” Dolly asked softly.

No, not really. I wanted to go home and cry again. That seemed like a good idea. But why wait to go home? I could cry here. I guess that might not be appropriate and I didn’t want to embarrass Melody. Keeping it together a little longer should be possible. “Thank you,” I said softly.

He shook his head. “No, thank you.”

The ceremony was over, then. The guards funneled out and I started walking towards the door.

“Hey, Sunny,” Melody said, setting a hoof on my foreleg.

I looked over at her.

“I want to take you to see a pony. Right away. Now that you’re an honorary royal guard, you can get in the programs. There is one for ponies that have to… uh… have to… to do what you had to do. Come on.” Her grip was firm.

She couldn’t even say it.

Dolly looked at me and then said, “I think you should go with Melody, sweetie. The Royal Guard will know how to handle this better. If you don’t like it you can always leave and come back to my place. You should try, though.”

That was probably true. Surely some guards had been through this. Maybe once a decade or something? Plus, they kept saying Sunny Day always moved forwards. I guess that was true. “Okay.”

Melody took me from the Royal Guard command building where the ceremony had been held to one of the others that was on the campus. It was one of those common three-story office buildings you see everywhere. They all looked the same to me.

All of the interior walls were a mellow blue and the lighting was slightly subdued. We went to the second floor, Melody practically pulling me the whole way. She brought me through a door that led to a waiting room and pointed to a couch. “Sit there, Sunny. I’ll be right back, okay?”

“Okay.”

There weren’t any other ponies there. Just me. The room was kind of nice, I guess. It was blue, too. The furniture was soft and there were a lot of little plants around. Real ones. Of course there were no windows so I had no idea how they lived.

“Sunny?”

I looked up. Melody was standing in front of me with a unicorn mare. “Sunny, this is Dr. Soothing Tone. She’s going to talk to you a little while. I’ll be right out here when you’re done.”

Soothing Tone reached out a hoof to me. “You can call me Suzy if you like. That is what most ponies do. It is nice to meet you, Sunny. Let’s go have a chat.”

Suzy was all pink. Everything was pink. Coat, mane, tail, eyes. Pink, pink, pink. She might have even been cute. She didn’t look like a doctor. Tentatively, I took her hoof and she led me out of the waiting room and into an office. There was another unicorn mare there.

That mare was very different. Her coat was grey in an odd way. It was like how ponies looked from old black and white photos. That was contrasted heavily by an electric yellow and white mane.

Suzy motioned to her. “This is Dr. Mindful Soul. She’s finishing up her residency. Do you mind if she observes our chat?”

I shook my head.

“Why don’t you have a seat wherever you feel comfortable?”

There was a blue loveseat so I settled there. How did I get here so fast? We’d just come from the ceremony and now I was with doctors. Ponies like me probably needed doctors.

“Now, Sunny, guards don’t often have to take a life in the pursuit of their duty but it does happen. When it does, we’re here. We’re here because royal guards take care of their own just like you took care of Sergeant Ward. That was your turn, this is mine. Do you understand?”

My ears flicked. “But I’m not a royal guard.”

Suzy smiled at me. “Honorary or not, you’re a royal guard now. We’re here for you, we’ll never give up on you, and we’ll take care of you for life.”

“You’d do all that because I did one thing?”

“One thing? You saved a life.”

“I took a life,” I said meekly.

“Yes, you did. You stopped one life from being taken by taking another. A horrible choice, but it was one that had to be made. Now you make the next choice: get help or go at it alone. The Guard is here to help. Do you want that help? Nopony can make you.”

I idly rubbed one hoof over the other. Could they really help? It was worth a try, right? Dolly said if I didn’t like it I could just leave. Not that her bedroom was helping much. I looked at Suzy. “I’d like help.”

“Great, that is the first step. We have a program for this occurrence. It works well but something like this is never one size fits all. You’ll work through it at your own pace and I won’t lie, you’re going to have hard moments.

“Initially we start with one on one therapy, then we get you involved with the group, af—”

“Group?” I repeated in surprise.

Suzy nodded. “Of course. Like I said, this is uncommon but not so rare that you’ll be alone. We have a group that meets every week. There are about eight ponies in it.”

Others like me? Royal guards that had to kill? Maybe I wasn’t alone. “Okay…”

“We start group therapy after some one-on-one, though, because initially most guards are pretty emotional and need time to process and grieve in private. I also recommend stepping up your PT.”

“PT?”

She shook her head. “I’m sorry, habit. Physical training. Exercising. Do you exercise?”

“I gallop a lot.”

“Great! Well, I’d like you to do that more and maybe some other exercises. I’m sure Sergeant Ward wouldn’t mind working with you on that. A healthy body helps with a healthy mind.”

Working out with Melody wouldn’t be bad. Could exercise help? I guess she’d know.

Suzy reached over and picked up a notebook. “Alright, now I know this is sudden but we’ve found the sooner you start your treatment, the more likely it is to succeed. You never want to let a traumatic experience fester. That leads to ponies making decisions they might not otherwise make.

“So, if you think you can handle it, tell me what happened. How you saw it, how it made you feel then, and how you feel now. If not, we can just chat a little. Don’t feel like you have to do too much too quickly.”

Suzy seemed legitimately concerned about me. Just like Melody or Dolly. Did they treat all royal guards like this? Strong and Melody certainly were close. Was I really part of their club now? This seemed like a horrible way to get in.

I took a deep breath and tried to keep my cool. “We were far from our camp and decided to check on what we thought was a forest fire. When we got there, though, it wasn’t a fire. It was a meeting of criminal ponies…”

Melody hopped on my back and then up to the top of the wood wall. She laid flat and reached down to me. I took her hoof and she pulled me up. Then we both hopped over to the other side. In unison, we landed, rolled, and then were up and galloping to the next obstacle.

We jumped, side by side, caught a rope, and swung over a big pit of mud. When we got to the other side, we crossed the finish line. My heart was racing, I was out of breath, but I felt great.

Strong Wing was waiting there and looked down at a stop watch. “That is a personal best, you two.”

Melody grinned. “I’m not surprised. Sunny is quite the athlete.”

I shrugged. “I like to stay in shape. Plus having a good partner is very motivating. That and the fact we practice every other day.”

“Practice makes perfect!” Melody chimed before lightly pushing me towards the gym. “Alright, you need to get showered and then off to group.”

“Yeah, I wouldn’t want to be late or smelly. I’ll see you two tomorrow, alright?”

“Yup!” Strong replied.

“You bet,” Melody put in.

I headed off to the gym’s mares’ locker room. The whole place was full of royal guards working out and staying fit. Physical training was a big deal for them. Actually, it was becoming a big deal for me, too. Galloping to stay thin was one thing. This was about stamina, endurance, strength, and more. It gave me a feeling of control.

It helped keep my mind off what I’d done. That and group therapy. Knowing you weren’t alone is a huge deal. Knowing there actually are ponies like you helps. Especially since everypony just treated me like one of them. Honorary royal guard pretty much just meant royal guard.

A nice hot shower relaxed my muscles, focused my mind, and got me clean. It would be time for group and then off to work. Just like most days. It was all about the routine and moving forwards. One hoof in front of the next.

The group met in one of the gym’s many focus areas. It was like a mini-gym where ponies could work on specific classes such as yoga or fillates. We used it to talk about our feelings. When I got through the door, several ponies looked my way, smiled, and waved.

“Hello, Sunny! Right on time,” Suzy said.

“Yes, ma’am,” I replied before getting some water and sitting at my spot between Franklin and Mighty. “Hey, fellas.”

“Hey, Sunny,” they replied.

Suzy waited patiently as a few more ponies streamed in. In all, there were about ten of us now. Certainly enough to make a pony feel less weird.

“Alright, everypony, let’s get started. Who would like to share a triumph for this week?”

Franklin raised his hoof. “Me, please.”

She nodded. “Go ahead.”

This was my team now. Together we’d get through the hurt, the anguish, and the guilt. Each session we talked about our triumphs, our failures, and how we’d improve. It was just what I needed. Actually, it was what we all needed. Pain shared is pain bared.

The Mare Contraire was kind of dead for a Sunday night. I wasn’t sure why, but at least it gave Pink Pearls a lot of time to help me with my mixology skills.

“That’s good, Sunny. Your cocktails are really coming along. You’ve clearly been studying,” Pearls said.

“It keeps me focused. Thanks for helping me.”

She shook her head. “No sweat. Oh, looks like you have a customer coming over. A cute one, too.”

“Hmm?” I looked up to see Soarin coming my way. He’d never been to my work before. This wasn’t exactly the place for stallions. Not that they were unwelcome.

“Hey, Sunny,” he said somewhat sheepishly.

“Hey! What brings you out?”

“I was looking for you. I haven’t seen you in a few months. I was worried I might have upset you or something.”

Months? It hadn’t been… oh, Celestia, I guess it had. I’d been so locked into my schedule to keep focused that I hadn’t really spent much time on the other aspects of my life. Quickly, I shook my head. “No, not at all! I had this thing. Have this thing. I’m still working through it. It has nothing to do with you! I’m so sorry. I’ve been so busy I haven’t come to tell you.”

Soarin nodded. “Hey, that’s okay! You don’t owe me any explanations. We can both see other ponies.”

“No, it isn’t like that. I uh…” I didn’t want to explain. Not here. I might break down again. “You see—ugh, okay, listen. I can’t get into it here but I swear it isn’t like that. If you pick me up after work, I’ll tell you all about it. Okay?”

“Sure, though I’m not trying to stress you. I’m not upset.”

“It’s okay! I have to get used to talking about it. Just not while I’m on shift. Come see me tonight and we’ll talk about it like normal ponies. It is kind of heavy, though. I have to warn you.”

He shrugged. “I’m pretty big. I have pretty broad shoulders, too. When do you get off?”

“Uh… usually around thr—”

“Now,” Dolly said from beside me.

I squealed and jumped in surprise. She was like a freaking ghost with her eavesdropping.

The older mare pushed me towards the end of the bar. “Go ahead and go with him. I’ll cover your shift.”

“But my pay—”

“I’ll pay you for the whole shift. Go on. Don’t worry about stuff like that right now, okay?”

Softly, I nuzzled her cheek. “Okay. Thanks. I guess I’m off now, Soarin. Let’s go chat.”

He had watched the spectacle in silence and then went along with me. “This must be really serious,” he said.

“Yeah… I’m afraid it is. It all started on that camping trip I invited you on. Things were going great at first, but then it all went downhill fast.”

Author's Note:

This was an important but tricky chapter to write. With Sunny's story being shorter I feel like it is important to hit the highlights.

If you are enjoying this story, please consider taking a look at Crystal and my's website QuillnBlade.com for extra content such as mini stories, an Ask Us form to submit questions, responses to said questions, and special rewards for the awesome folks who support our Patreon.