• Published 4th Jan 2016
  • 3,801 Views, 781 Comments

Sunny's Days - Anzel



Sunny enjoys an easy life of fun in the sun and even more fun in the sheets. All she wants to do is have a good time, but the universe has other plans in mind for her.

  • ...
17
 781
 3,801

30. Family Matters

Dolly, Emerald Eyes, Lollypop, and Pink Pearls wandered out of the palace gift shop wearing Princess Celestia hats, T-shirts, and necklaces. If there was a calendar made up of tourists, they would have all been in it.

I stood at attention just outside in my full armor. My custom-fit, highly polished, professional, official, amazing, Royal Guard armor. “Ladies, did you enjoy your tour?”

Dolly’s tail swished. “Yes! Yes, we did. Although we didn’t get to see Princess Luna’s bedroom, office, or anything like that. It was kind of a bummer.”

“That is because Princess Luna has only been here for a month. This palace was not designed for two princesses and we’re working very hard to amend that. She also only has a small House Guard, so letting un-cleared ponies traipse through her area isn’t great for security.”

“Oh sure, Ms. Lieutenant. Is it that or are you hiding a secret?” Emerald Eyes said, staring me down.

I glared back. I would not be out-glared in uniform. “Secret, my hindquarters! Besides, if you really want to know her secrets, ask that pony there!” I stabbed a hoof at a darkly armored, white pegasus stallion that was walking across the courtyard. He was big and mean looking. The word around the palace was he never uttered words other than ‘yes, ma’am, ‘‘yes, sir, ‘ or ‘yes, Princess.’ ”

Emerald Eyes took one look and then said, “No, thank you. I don’t need to find out. He looks rough. Is that really one of her guards?”

“Yup!”

Lollypop’s head tilted. “Why do they wear that sinister-looking purple and black armor instead of the gold like you?”

“Some designer thought Princess Luna should have her own aesthetic. Evidently, that aesthetic is nightmares. I don’t know. They’re nice enough ponies. I mean, the ones I know. I don’t really know them. I met their sergeant once. She was nice. Anyway, why did you all buy so much stuff if you were here for Princess Luna?” Was I rambling? I was rambling.

Pink Pearls happily clapped her hooves. “I got caught up in the moment!”

Lollypop agreed, “Yup!”

“Me, too…” Dolly muttered.

I fixed Emerald Eyes with a gaze. “And how about you, Miss Super Logical?”

“I’m putting some filly through magic school. You know… so she can potentially turn out like you and save a princess… or like Twilight Sparkle and defeat some kind of evil thing. It’s a logical investment. Anyway, we need to get back and make sure Mango hasn’t burned the bar down.”

Dolly nodded. “Yeah, no kidding. I’m glad I have a lot of insurance. Anyway, thank you for the tour tickets, Sunny, it was fun. Will you be home after work?”

“I will! Although, I’ll be leaving early and need you to help me.”

Dolly’s ear flicked. “How come?”

“I’m meeting a realtor shortly to look at a condo. It’s not too far from the bar and it’s in the new, hip area. I’m thinking of buying it.”

“Is it wise to buy a house as a royal guard?” Lollypop asked.

“Well… kind of. I mean you can sell it and move. Most guards just rent or stay on base. I’m a palace guard though and I don’t mind slowing my career up to stay here. It isn’t a bad idea. Plus, if I do leave, I’ll just have Dolly rent it out and be my supervisor.”

Dolly sighed. “Superintendent. You know, you have to ask me to do those things.”

I cracked a grin. “And if I move, I’ll ask you. You’ll say yes and be my superintendent. You’re a super pony, so why not! Anyway, though, I need you to teach me how to buy a condo and make sure I’m getting the best deal for my bits. Also… you control all of my bits. So… I’ll need some bits.”

“Pick me up when you get off,” she said, trying to sound grumpy. The look in her eye betrayed it all, though. Dolly had been thrilled to have me back in Canterlot. She’d been even more thrilled to have me live with her. On top of that, she’d been super proud of me. She’d do anything for me and I’d do anything for her.

“Will do!” I replied and started to reach to hug her but stopped. There were guards around. My subordinates and non-commissioned officers. Instead, I just reached a hoof out. “Ma’am.”

She bumped it, the girls giggled, and they all trotted off together. I went the other direction to head up a set of stairs I managed. They were all mine! When I got on top of the wall, I could survey so much of the city. All of the guards I walked near snapped to attention. It was amazing!

Here I was, Sunny Day, Palace Guard, 2nd Company, Delta Section, Commanding. That was a mouthful, but it was my mouthful. It was time to do my rounds and check in with all of my sergeants. I had three, by the way, and a section sergeant. Each sergeant had eight ponies reporting to her. They all reported to the section sergeant.

I was in command, but the section sergeant had been in the Royal Guard a lot longer than me. In reality, he was going to teach me a lot about running a unit. It was neat and I liked my section sergeant well enough. His name was Husky Melon. He was a big earth pony that always used farm analogies on account of his uncle’s side of the family.

He was going to cover for me today since I was taking leave. Normally, I wouldn’t get off until just after midnight. That was half an hour after 3rd Company came on shift, had their briefings, and we did turnover. My ponies would go home, and theirs would take over until 1st Company relieved them in the morning.

It was actually quite shocking at how many palace guards there were. Four companies with six sections each. That was a ton of ponies!

Once I’d finished my rounds, I trotted back down to the courtyard. I didn’t have to leave for another half hour so I might as well look professional. As such, I stood guard outside of the gift shop. Tourist ponies should see a fine, upstanding, Royal Guard lieutenant!

My guards were always a little nervous when I did that. I guess other officers didn’t stand at posts. I did, though! My office was tiny and I had to share it with two other lieutenants.

Besides, since I covered second shift, it was nice to get some sunlight before having to work in the dark. It did give me an excuse to stay out late and enjoy the night life, though. That reminded me, I needed to go see Diddle. She’d gotten a promotion at the Weather Bureau. I should get her something slinky to wear. Yeah that would be nice. A hot pair of p—

“Well, look at you, sweetheart. I never imagined this.”

There was an older mare standing in front of me, inspecting every bit of my gear. Her coat was the same color as mine, though a little faded. Her bright red mane looked great, too! Although it was clear she’d finally started to accept the grey. “Mom? Mom!”

I bounced happily and went to throw my hooves around her. Then I stopped. Tackling an older mare while in armor would be bad. Unprofessional and bad. I cleared my throat and offered her a hoof. “Mom!”

My mother teasingly rolled her aqua-colored eyes and bumped my hoof. “Hello, little girl. I read the letters and just had a hard time visualizing it. Had to come down here myself and see you. Unbelievable! Look at how you’ve grown up.”

“I have! Um… let’s go somewhere else. Come on!” I waved a hoof up at the wall at Husky Melon. “Sergeant, I’m going to start my leave for today. Take over.”

“Aye, ma’am! Enjoy your evening,” he called back.

Once we were out of the gate, I took my helmet off and carefully hugged my mother. “By Celestia, I can’t believe you came to Canterlot to see me!”

Her brow lifted. “And why would you say that, little girl? I’ve been offering a while and you kept coming up with excuses.”

My ears grew hot and I grabbed her hoof. “Fair point. Well, you’re here now! Come on, I have an appointment and I want you to come meet Dolly and then come to my appointment!”

Mom laughed and let me drag her along. “Okay, Sunny, easy there. I’m not remotely as young and fit as you are.”

“Uh-huh? When did Cheerful Day, star of the stage, decide she was not remotely young?”

“When my knees started aching in the morning… and thank you for that, but star of the stage is a bit of a stretch. How about… West Equestria’s favorite understudy?”

I wiggled my nose. “Aww, don’t say that, Mom. You were great! I used to love sitting in the front row and watching you act.”

She softly giggled. “Yes, sweetheart. That was because I couldn’t afford a foalsitter. If you were in the front row, I could keep an eye on you. You probably didn’t notice that half the theatre was empty.”

We were getting closer to the Mare Contraire. “Okay, okay. I still think you’re great.”

“You always did, sweetie. Just like your sister.”

“Oh, yeah! How is Cheerful Sun?”

“She’s doing great. She’s going to marry her marefriend, I think.”

I came to a sudden stop. Mom bumped into me. “Ow!”

“Wait, wait, wait! Since when is Cheerful Sun a fillyfooler?”

Mom’s head tilted. “Since she was born?”

“Well, obviously, but I mean… you know what I mean! She always had colts over… well, at least for the short time we all lived together.”

Mom shrugged. “Maybe she thought I’d disapprove? Are you saying you do?”

That made me laugh. “Disapprove? Come on, Mom! You’ve read my letters. I was just surprised, is all. Cheerful is so… I don’t know… such a typical pony. Not even a slight deviation.”

“Mares loving mares isn’t that big of a deviation, Sunny. You cat around with mares.”

I glared and poked her with a hoof. “Yes! I cat around. That is my thing! Cheerful doesn’t get to do my thing, mom.”

Mom stared at me wide-eyed and then started laughing. “Sunny! I don’t believe this. First of all, it is adorable you’re jealous. Second of all, she doesn’t cat around! They’ve been dating exclusively for about two years. They met in a knitting club. Fuzzy Yarn is about the cutest pony I’ve ever met.”

“You’ve met her?”

“Of course! Your sister comes to visit me every other month and Fuzzy comes with her.”

That was a relief. “Now see, that is Cheerful Sun. The responsible, well-respected sister I barely know.” I held onto Mom’s hoof and started tugging her again.

“How did you turn out so weird?” Mom asked.

“Theatre ponies.”

“Ah. Oh!” She looked ahead of me and at the sign we headed towards. “So this is the famous Mare Contraire from your letters. It… uh… doesn’t look like anything at all.”

That was fair. The Mare Contraire was a pretty nondescript building from the outside. Simple stonework with blacked out windows and a plain sign. “Wait until you see the inside!”

I pulled the door open so Mom could go in and happily pranced behind her. “Dolly! I’m heeere!”

The older mare looked up from behind the bar before her eyes fell on Mom. “Oh, well, hello. Who’s this, Sunny?”

“This is Mom! Mom, this is Dolly!”

Dolly trotted over and offered a hoof. “Mom, huh?”

The two shook and Mom smiled. “Cheerful Day.”

“It certainly is,” Dolly grinned. “So this is a very pleasant surprise.”

Wait.

“I was on my way to visit my oldest and thought I’d stop in and see Sunny, since she never stops in to see me. I’ve been eager to meet the great and beautiful Dolly considering how highly my little one speaks of her.”

Wait. No.

Dolly sighed and nodded. “Believe me, I know. I try to get her to write you and visit. Plus, she was gone a year and she didn’t come visit me once! At least I know she says nice things about me.”

This is bad.

Mom nodded and patted Dolly’s shoulder. “You get used to it. I appreciate how you’ve been taking good care of my little girl. You’re a blessing.”

Dolly smiled and waved a hoof. “She’s really not that much trouble. It is nice to know there is a more mature Day out there, though.” Then she winked at Mom! She winked at Mom! “Get you a drink?”

“Oh, that would be lovely. How about… a passionfruit margarita?”

“Hi! Uh, we’re supposed to meet the realtor soon. Condo for Sunny?” I chimed in, wiggling my hooves.

“Passionfruit? Excellent choice. Coming right up,” Dolly said before trotting off to start making the drink. I followed after her.

“I’ll arrest you!” I hissed.

Dolly just laughed. “For what?”

“Hitting on my mom!”

“Darlin’, your mom is hot. I see where you get it. She’s more my speed, anyway, and you have to have cause to arrest me. Anypony that saw a hottie like that would be justified in hitting on her.”

My jaw hung and I sputtered. “No! Condo! You promised.”

Dolly finished making the drink, shut my mouth with a hoof, and nodded. “And I’ll help take care of you exactly like I promised.” She then started trotting by and mumbled softly, “And then I’ll take care of her.”

No! This was madness! This was wrong!

“Here you are, Mrs. Day,” Dolly said, floating the drink down in front of Mom.

“Oh, it is just Miss. Like my girl there.”

Dolly set her chin on her hoof. “Is that so? I find that hard to believe. Well… once you finish your drink, we can all head over to meet this realtor of Sunny’s. Unless you’d prefer it just be a family affair.”

Mom shook her head. “No, that isn’t my kind of affair. You’re welcome to come.”

Ahhh! I hurried down the bar. “LATE!” I shouted.

Both of the older mares turned to me with wide eyes. Mom patted my hoof. “The Sunny I know doesn’t care about being late. You know… unless it is the other kind of being late. I’m actually shocked I’m not a grandmother.”

“Me, too,” Dolly chipped in before slyly grinning at me. She was loving this! Oh I’d get her! I’d summon the health inspector, the building inspector, the inspector inspector!

Mom drained her drink rather quickly and then stood up. “Though I guess she is a respectable palace guard now. Let’s go see this condo.”

“Yes! Let’s go! All of us. With me between so I feel loved.”

Dolly snickered and the three of us trotted out together.

Author's Note:

This was supposed to be the last chapter of this story. I'm having too much fun though so it will probably carry on a bit longer :D

If you are enjoying this story, please consider taking a look at Crystal and my's website QuillnBlade.com for extra content such as mini stories, an Ask Us form to submit questions, responses to said questions, and special rewards for the awesome folks who support our Patreon.