• Published 4th Jan 2016
  • 3,799 Views, 781 Comments

Sunny's Days - Anzel



Sunny enjoys an easy life of fun in the sun and even more fun in the sheets. All she wants to do is have a good time, but the universe has other plans in mind for her.

  • ...
17
 781
 3,799

24. One Small Chance

Mythic poked her head into my office. “Uh… Lieutenant?”

“Yes?” I asked with a glare.

She squeaked. “I… uh… we’re going to get lunch. Would you like to go, or do you just want to sit here and stew some more?”

“Oh, I’m going to stew!”

“Yes, ma’am. I’ll bring you a sandwich.”

“Thanks,” I practically growled. I wasn’t mad at Mythic, of course. Just Vice Colonel Wonder. She’d forgotten to sign my paperwork and then went on her annual two week trip to the island of Skankmare or whatever it was called.

Which would, conveniently, cause me to miss the next enrollment period. Then I’d have to wait for the next training cycle.

“Graaah!” I slammed my hooves on my desk and got up before storming out of the office. As I trotted down the HQ hall, I couldn’t help but kick over one of the waste bins. A pair of enlisted ponies saw me and ran off in the opposite direction.

“What in the clouds is going on out here!” an angry voice said before a pegasus appeared from one of the offices. He was dressed fully in Royal Guard armor that had a tall, blue and white crest on the helmet.

I froze, not exactly sure what to do. There were colonel’s bars on his chest.

“Lieutenant, where is your helmet?” he demanded.

I looked around. Could there be another lieutenant here? “Me?”

“Yes, you! Where is your helmet? What are you doing out here knocking over bins?” He stormed over to me and glared.

The look on his face was withering. I shrank back a bit. “I—I—I, G9.”

His eyes rolled. “Oh, I see. You’re one of Wonder’s brainless guards. What, did you trip over the bin like an idiot because you were looking in the mirror to fix your makeup?”

That struck me wrong, completely wrong. It made me all the angrier. “No! I’m a good officer and she’s holding me back,” I yelled in his face.

That earned me a derisive snort. “I doubt it is her. Clean this mess up.” He turned around to go back into his office.

I stomped a hoof. “No.”

He stopped cold and turned around. “What?”

“No!”

The colonel got right in my face. “No? Do you know who I am?”

“No?”

He poked me in the breastplate with a hoof. “I’m the city guard commander. This whole building is mine. You work for me! Have you lost your mind? Do you know what I could do to your career?”

My eyes narrowed and I glared at him. “Nothing worse than what Vice Colonel Wonder has. I don’t want to be her!”

“Then what do you want to be?”

“A real officer, and I can do it, too! I could lead a patrol section. I could lead a protection section.”

“Oh yeah? Is that what you think? That playing tea party in G9 teaches you to do that?”

I shook my head. “No, but shadowing Sergeant Power every single night for six months plus my training lets me know I can.”

“Who authorized that?” he demanded.

“I did, because nopony else seems to be willing to let me grow.”

“And who are you?”

“Lieutenant Day!”

“So it’s a transfer you want? You’re out here throwing a fit because of that?”

“Yes! I mean, no! It wasn’t a fit. It was a macho show of anger and aggression.”

The colonel stared at me in silence. He looked me up and down. At least my armor was in great shape and I wore it well.

Eventually, he snorted and grabbed me by the breastplate. “Fine, get in my office and we’ll talk about it. I like macho shows of anger and aggression coupled with irresponsible but well-meaning attempts to learn things.” He pushed me along ahead of him.

I wasn’t sure if he was being serious or sarcastic but I also didn’t care. I’d rather lose my commission than spend another year smiling and begging for comment cards. That sudden realization made it very easy to walk into his office.

He followed behind me, slammed the door, and yelled “Sergeant, bring me Lieutenant Diez’s file.”

“Day, sir.”

“Lieutenant Day’s file!”

A big stallion head poked through a doorway opposite the one we came in. “Diez, Day, or both, sir?”

“Day!”

“Yes, sir!”

Then we just stood there, staring at each other. I didn’t dare say a thing and the colonel didn’t seem inclined to make small talk. Of course, I took a moment to look at the nameplate on the desk. Dell. Colonel Dell. Yup, I’d heard of him. Which made sense, given he was the commander and all.

After what felt like an eternity, the sergeant brought in a folder which, presumably, contained everything about me.

Colonel Dell tossed it on his desk and started to flip through it. “G9, waste of space… last in your class… really impressive there.” He kept going through it.

I started sweating a bit. He was going to judge me based on these stupid pieces of paper. “Sir, I—”

He held up a hoof, said, “Shut it,” and went back to the file. Eventually, he got to the end. “So, you think you’re patrol material?”

“Yes, sir.”

“And you got it into your head to shadow one of my training sergeants for six months? And he didn’t notice that?”

“I told him I was doing research on how he was so successful. He is the number one in the city.”

Colonel Dell nodded. “You bet that made-up mane of yours he is. He bought that line?”

“He didn’t have much choice. Pretty mare or not, I’ve got a bar and he’s a sergeant. Plus, I stayed out of his way and took it all in.”

“I see. And how do you feel Vice Colonel Wonder is holding you back?”

My nose wrinkled. “She keeps putting off signing my paperwork for captain’s school. She doesn’t seem to want me to leave. All she wants is for me to do my mane and wear a uniform! A uniform! I’m the only pony in my entire group that wears armor.”

“But no helmet,” he put in.

“Graaa!”

“Fine, get your captain’s paperwork and bring it here. I’ll sign it. Assuming you pass, I’ll transfer you to the worst patrol position I can find when you get back. Something like a night shift on the weekend. If you can do that, I’ll see to it you get a real command. Deal?”

“Deal! Yes, sir! Thank you, sir!”

“You won’t be thanking me later. Dismissed!”

I trotted out of his office and over to the trash bin I’d kicked over. I righted it and cleaned everything up. I was going to be a patrol officer! No more G9 for me. Oh, that would stick in Vice Colonel Wonder’s craw!

It was time to prance. My rump bounced happily as I swayed my way back to the G9 office to get my paperwork.

The train to Canterlot had been right on time. Not like I was surprised, of course. Now my hooves were pressed on the glass as I watched for familiar landmarks to start to appear. I was going home! I was going to see Dolly! I was going to captain’s school!

My tail swished quickly back and forth on its own. I just couldn’t contain my excitement. “I’m home!” I cheered when Alicorn Spire came into view.

“That's great… but could you perhaps be careful with that tail of yours? Not that it isn’t cute and all,” somepony behind me said.

“Hmm? Oh, sorry!” I replied, looking back to find an earth pony mare sitting in the seat next to the one I was standing on. She didn’t look mad so much as amused. There was a twinkle in her scarlet eyes.

She waved a ruby red hoof at me. “Oh, don’t worry about it. I’m from Canterlot, too, but I haven’t been gone that long. Have you?”

I nodded eagerly. “Yup! I’ve been living in Baltimare for, like, a year now and I haven’t been back. This is super exciting. I’m going to see Dolly and go to school and—Diddle! I should see Diddle!”

The mare’s head tilted, her light green mane shifting. “Do you just assume that because I live in Canterlot, I know those ponies?”

“Huh? No! I’m just excited.” I settled back down into the seat.

“That’s nice. Well, I hope it all goes well for you.”

I smiled. “Me, too! I hope your… uh… return goes nice, too?”

She laughed and nodded. “Thanks. Oh, if you’re going to be in town a while, you should check out the Summer Sun Celebration in Ponyville. I hear they’re doing something special this year.”

“Oh yeah?”

“That is what I heard around the palace. Princess Celestia has some big plans.”

My ears wiggled. “Around the palace? Are you, like… a noble or something?”

“Me? Hah! No! I’m a guard.” She offered a hoof. “Sergeant Ruby Moon, at your service.”

“Oh!” I shook back and replied, “Lieutenant Sunny Day, Baltimare city guard.”

Her eyes got a little bigger. “Wow, you’re a royal guard?”

My eyes narrowed. “Yeah… why?”

“I just took you for somepony a lot younger given your excitement. No offense meant. Well… anyway. If you’re ever at the palace, come see me. Oh, and like I said, don’t miss the celebration. I doubt we’ll have another one this big in our lifetimes.”

“I’ll check it out. It sounds exciting, and you’d have the inside track for sure.”

Ruby nodded at that. The two of us idly chatted for the rest of the way. Once we pulled into the station, we said our goodbyes and I started galloping towards the Mare Contraire.

It was lucky I was a super fit royal guard, because the distance between the Mare Contraire and the train station was actually pretty significant. I had to go through two districts! When I saw the nondescript building, I didn’t bother slowing down.

Without warning, I burst through the door and squealed, “I’m home!”

Dolly and Emerald were behind the bar, staring at me wide-eyed. It took them a moment to realize what was going on. Then Dolly gasped, “Sunny!”

“Dolly!” I cheered before bouncing off a stool and leaping over the bar.

There was a strangled squeal of surprise as I landed on Dolly and the two of us went down onto the rubber mat that ran along the floor. She gasped for breath as she laughed.

I looped my forehooves around her, hugged tightly, and started smooching all over her face.

Emerald Eyes trotted over and flopped on top of us.

"Gonna die,” Dolly huffed, but I didn’t care. I just hugged her while Emerald hugged me.

“Hey… where is everypony?” I heard Pink Pearls call before adding, “Oh! Cuddle pile!”

“No, no, no!” Dolly squeaked before the weight of another pony flopped onto us.

My cheek smooshed up against Dolly’s and I grinned, “I missed you.”

“You’re going to be missing me more when I die! Everypony, off, please!”

“Aww…” Pearlsie said before hopping off. Emerald followed suit and then I did the same.

Dolly hugged me proper, kissed my cheek, and asked, “Vacation? Transfer back? Away without leave? Fugitive from justice?”

“Vacation and captain’s school! I’ll be here for about six weeks in all. Can I sleep at your place?”

“Of course you can. Oh my goodness, it is so nice to see you. The letters helped but I had no idea how much I’d miss this face.” Dolly then proceeded to squeeze my cheeks with her hooves.

“I missed you all, too. Now, since we can’t just close the bar early to go hang out, do you still need a sodajerk? I still remember how.”

Emerald Eyes patted me on the rump. “Nopony is as good a jerk as you. We didn’t fill the position.”

Dolly snorted and pushed me towards the station. “Yes, fine. You can work the fountain tonight, but you have to catch me up on everything. I have so many questions from the letters.”

“Can do!” I replied as I trotted down to where I’d worked all those nights. It felt great to be in the Mare Contraire and Canterlot again. There were so many memories here and so many ponies, too. And Melody! Melody was probably still here. This was going to be a busy few weeks!

Author's Note:

Back to Canterlot! :D

If you are enjoying this story, please consider taking a look at Crystal and my's website QuillnBlade.com for extra content such as mini stories, an Ask Us form to submit questions, responses to said questions, and special rewards for the awesome folks who support our Patreon.