• Published 19th Nov 2011
  • 851 Views, 4 Comments

Making tracks - Will Travel



A wandering unicorn finds his way to ponyville. Is this just another town or a place to call home?

  • ...
 4
 851

Caramel coated

Celestia's shimmering sun was beaming down on the citizens of Ponyville, much to the dismay of a certain white unicorn. Will groaned at the bright light and promptly covered his face with the blanket from atop him. The realization that he even had a blanket started to set in, the unicorn promptly leaned up and examined the cloth. The blue fabric still rested over his figure as he examined it, perhaps for some clue as to whom placed it upon him while he was sleeping. A tumble weed was present in the corner of the blanket; it must’ve been the cutie mark of whomever gave it to him. "I'll have to return this." He said aloud while magically folding the cloth and stashing it in his cart.

The unicorn made his way back into town with determination in his mind. Not only did he have to find the pony that lent the blanket to him, but he also had to subdue his growling stomach. Suddenly, Will happened upon a strange store that looked like a ginger bread home. The unicorn smiled wide at the unique building and found himself trotting inside.
Will's eyes wandered the rows upon rows of pastries. Each one looked delectable to the hungry unicorn but before he could contemplate much longer, a voice called out to him from over the counter.

"Welcome to Sugar Cube Corner! What can I get you, sport?" Will blinked and looked up at the yellow stallion staring down at him.

Will silently mulled over the choices before shyly responding. "O . . oh . . . um . . . could I get peppermint tea and a chocolate eclair?

"Sure thing, sport. That'll be six bits. You can take a seat while you wait." The yellow stallion had gotten a pick-up order and was tending to another patron, a grey pegasus, standing beside Will.

"MUFFINS!" The grey mare exclaimed excitedly when she received her prize, haphazardly bolting out the door after she had paid.

Will had just sat himself down and placed his order on the table when a blue and pink mare came trotting into view. The mare beamed with delight at the sight of the new face. "Well hello there, sweet heart! You look like you're new in town. I'm Mrs. Cake and that's my husband behind the counter, Mr. Cake."

The white unicorn gave a smiling nod before responding. "Yes, I am! I'm Will Travel. It's a pleasure to meet you both! I couldn't resist coming in when i saw the wonderful design of the building.

"What a polite little stallion you are, Will. I hope you enjoy your time here in Ponyville. Don't be a stranger!" And with that, Mrs. Cake trotted back into the kitchen, leaving the unicorn to his delicious breakfast.

Will finished his tea and snack quietly before thanking the Cakes and leaving. Contently, he hooked himself back up to his cart and trotted toward the inns. He had to make sure he'd have a room tonight. "What wonderful little cafe! I'll have to come back another day." He mused to himself.

Unbeknownst to Will, moments after he left the cafe a pink pony came flying down the stairs, frantically looking around. The mares tail was spinning rapidly in the air as she looked around for something no one else could see.
"Pinkie, sweetie, what's wrong?!" The Cakes said in unison upon seeing the odd display.

"My tail! It's all spinny spin spin spinaroo! That means a new pony is moving into town! Where are they? I have to throw them a Welcome-to-Ponyville party!" The Cakes were too stunned at the frighteningly accurate "Pinkie Pie sense" and sat there in silence. Pinkie Pie, however, refused to wait and put a hunters cap upon her head, pulled from seemingly no where. "I'm off to find ‘em!" With that, she dashed out of Sugar Cube Corner.

"ACHOO!" Will gripped his snout from the sudden force and blinked. “Huh . . . someone must be talking about me." He chuckled softly. The unicorn found himself waiting at a large statue somewhere in the middle of town. Looking up at the town hall, he saw it was noon. "I suppose I'll just wait for Caramel now."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thirty minutes later, Caramel came barreling over the horizon, panting as he ran as fast as he could. The earth pony was late as always, and hoped to Celestia that Will would forgive him. The statue came into view and he soon saw Will scuffing a hoof on the ground as if to distract himself.

Will wasn't sure what happened next, but suddenly there was a tan pony practically on top of him, talking a mile a minute, pleading for forgiveness. Without a word, he tenderly patted Caramel on the head. "Caramel, please, take a deep breath. I'm not upset, nor do you have to explain why you're late. You're here now and that's all that matters, okay?"

The earth pony took several deep breaths before he recovered and nodded gently to Will. "I . . . oh . . . Will . . . thank you for not being upset!" His ears perked up, the pony must have had an idea. "O . . . of course! I'll show you around town to make it up to you!"

Caramel carted will all over town, showing him all the various places worth mentioning in Ponyville. "And that's Carrot Top. She sells the best carrots in Ponyville. Oh oh! And this . . ." The earth pony made a motion toward the white gate that they stood in front of. ". . . is Sweet Apple Acres, the best place in town for apples! Come on I'll introduce you to my Co---my . . . my friend who lives here."

It only took a few moments for the pair to trot up to a large farm house past the orchard, where a red stallion was bucking at one of the few trees with apples left in its branches. The stallion’s seemingly blank expression brightened at the sight of Caramel, and then shifted to curiosity upon seeing the unicorn beside him. Big Macintosh was about to the speak to the pair, but Caramel knew what he was going to ask and cut him off. "Mac, this is Will Travel, Will this is Big Macintosh my . . ."

"I'm his coltfriend." Said the stalwart stallion. Unlike his partner Macintosh wasn't going to lie or divert the truth of the matter, much to Caramel's horror.

The timid pony reared up to guard himself from some kind of punishment, but instead felt Will's gentle warmth and a hoof around his neck. All the earth pony could manage to say was: "Will, y-you're okay with me being . . ."

Will cut him off before letting Caramel beat himself up. "Pfffft, what does it matter if we are, Caramel? You're my friend and I would never hate you for who you love. We . . . are friends aren't we?" The last part seemed to take on a stern tone, which Caramel quickly took notice of.

"Will . . . of course we are!" The two shared a hearty hug before Big mac coughed and hefted up a basket of apples.
"Dinner'll be soon. If ya'll would help me get these into the house, we can all get better acquainted, alright?"

Caramel tried hard to lift up a basket himself, but only tipped the apples out. Thankfully for him, Will was able to use his magic and lift up the remaining baskets, including the tipped one. The three ponies got everything in order before sitting in the living room. It wasn't until just then Caramel realized Will's words. "Did he say ‘we’? But that means . . ." The pony said, pondering under his breath.

"Macintosh, ya'll get them apples Granny Smith asked fer?" An orange mare asked, stopping the thoughts anypony else might have. A spry little filly was in tow with the orange pony. The pair caught sight of Will and trotted closer. "Shoot, Macintosh, why didn't ya'll tell me we had company!" She asked before playfully smacking her big brothers side. "I'm Applejack, and this'n here is Applebloom. It's a pleasure to meet ya!"

"Thank you, I'm Will, Will Travel" The unicorn stood up only to be assaulted by Applejack’s hearty hoof shake. Will thought his hoof was going to come flying off, but much to his relief the shake did not last for long, and left his hoof with only a little sting.

"Will, Will, Will! Are ya'll gonna stay for dinner?" Applebloom asked, bouncing excitedly between the older ponies. The unicorn looked at the Apple siblings silently for some form of answer.

"Eeeyup" Was all Big Macintosh said before his sister chimed in.

"That's right! We here at Sweet Apple Acres treat our friends with the best hospitality!"

Suddenly, from the kitchen came the old creaky frame of the family's caretaker. Granny Smith slowly made her way into the dinning room, sitting herself down before looking at all the ponies in the room. "S-soups on . . . everypony!"

Dinner was in full swing and everypony was happily enjoying it all. Pleasant conversation swayed back and forth between everyone. "So where ya from, sugarcube?" Spoke Applejack once she had eaten a good portion of her supper.

"I was born and raised in Manehattan." Everyone at the table seemed shocked from the reply. Perhaps, he thought, they assumed Will would be more snooty with such a birthplace. Before they could ask Will spoke out. "I don't like how the ponies act there. It never felt like home to me. It's why I left and started to travel."

"Speaking of that, what made you move to Ponyville, Will?" Caramel asked. Immediately he regretted doing so, as everyone suddenly looked at him.

"I . . . it's just a visit, I'm afraid." He originally hadn't planned to admit such a thing until it was too late to do anything about it. "I told you I left Manehattan. Well, it's because the city didn't feel like home to me. I've spent the last year or two traveling all over Equestria to find just that: a home. I spend about a week or two in each town before I decide whether to move on or not."

Caramel looked like he was about to cry from Will's response. Will immediately regretted saying anything about his "plan" now, but he tried to cheer Caramel up before it was too late. "B-but, I have to say I've been happier here than most towns I visit. I think the chances of me staying are pretty good. i just need some more time to decide is all." He added hastily.

The response seemed to go over well, and Will could see his friend calming down before another voice spoke up. "Well shoot, sugarcube, we just need to show you how great Ponyville is and ya'll stay? That'd be as easy as bucking apples from a tree!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lunas moon stood tall in the sky as Will and Caramel left Sweet Apple Acres, the pair trotting in silence beside one another. The tension was starting to creep up between the pair, but it wasn’t until they got to the outer fence that finally Caramel spoke up. "Will . . . earlier today you said "we" when Big Mac told you I was his . . . coltfriend. Does that mean what I think it does?"

"Yes, Caramel, I'm a colt cuddler myself. But even if I wasn't, I like you for who you are, not who you date." Will could see that that wasn't the only thing on his mind before he patted the earth pony again. "Look . . . about my staying or going . . . I'll give it some hard consideration, okay? Now you'd better scoot. You have work in the morning, right?"

“R-right” The pair said their goodbyes and hugged one another before each went his separate way. Will let out a sigh of exhaustion, but a smile soon crept upon his face.

The ponies in town were nice, polite and seemed to care about more than just what fashion was in this week. "Maybe . . ." He said as he went back to his room at the inn.

Unknown to him, a strange pink mare was peering at the unicorn from behind a bush. She glared, squinting at the monochrome pony. The mare started to sink back into the bush, and as she did so, she uttered a single word, “Soon”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*AUTHORS NOTES* It concerns Caramel and macintosh as a couple. now alot of people say they are related and this and that, but it's all personal opinion honestly. For me, they are not related and there for nothing odd is going on. Caramel for one, doesn't have an apple based cutie mark like all the ponies in the apple family do. Two even if he was a relative, i imagine he'd have to be a fruit related one for that to be a legit answer. IE: Uncle and aunt orange.

The last point is pretty simple, we all have our thoughts on which pony is with who and what not. For myself, that's Caramel x Macintosh and that's what i like. i apologize if it's not your head fannon and all that.

Comments ( 2 )

Near the end, I was pulling a hair outta my mouth and when Pinkie popped up...well, I jabbed myself in the eye.:derpytongue2:

I live for Pinkie's Randomness!

62603
I'm glad you like it.

Login or register to comment