• Published 19th Nov 2011
  • 850 Views, 4 Comments

Making tracks - Will Travel



A wandering unicorn finds his way to ponyville. Is this just another town or a place to call home?

  • ...
 4
 850

Tumble weed

Gloomily Will walked down the now barren streets of Ponyville. Every inn in town was booked for the night, but the unicorn kept his thoughts about him. Despite the grim turn of events, he trotted around until a nice field came into view. "Thank Luna it's not cold tonight," Will muttered to himself before curling up beside his cart.

"COME ON BOYS, WE'RE ALMOST DONE FOR THE NIGHT!" A train was coming onto the horizon, a rather familiar clattering of hooves and roaring accompanying the train. Will groaned and lifted his head up, staring over at it in irritation.

"So much for going to bed early," The unicorn grumbled. There wasn't much for him to do in town, so he might as well go watch all the ponies coming home from the train. Will made his way over to the train platform, Stretching himself out before getting a chill of nostalgia. This was something he and his mother did countless times. Sitting on the platform watching his father leaving on one of his great journeys into the unknown. Before he had realized it, the train was stopped in front of him and ponies had started to disembark. Will thoughtfully decided to move over to the side and get out of the way.

"Hyaaaa, it's been a long day boys," Promontory snorted out, stretching his body as the others from his team took a drink from the trough set up for them. Once they'd each gotten their fill all of them took a step back, knowing what was coming. Promontory dunked his dark chocolate head into the trough like he was bobbing for apples, shaking himself hard once he'd cooled off.

"G... GAH!" Will sputtered as he found himself on the receiving end of an unintentional shower from the train pony. A good portion of his mane clung soaked and matted to the unicorn’s pelt.

Promontory couldn't help but laugh at the victim of his shaking before trotting over. "I apologize for that sir, most people know not to get too close when I get back into town." He eyed the unicorn up and down before smiling to himself. "You must be new around here though, I think I'd remember a face like you. Name’s Promontory."

"Will Travel," muttered the unicorn while he shook himself off, his expression clearly showing aggravation before letting out a sigh and smiling. "Yeah, I'm new in town. Only got here recently."

"Well isn't that something! Hey, are you up to much? Maybe I could take you to this great place I know to get some chow. I'm mighty starving after hauling trains all day!"

Will was going to protest against such an offer when his traitorous stomach spoke for him. A deep guttural growl cut the silence before Promontory roared with laughter.

"I suppose you won't take no for an answer now, huh?" the smaller colt grumbled.

" ’Fraid not, Will," the stallion said with a grin across his features as he waved good night to his co-workers. Will was slow to get off the platform, and much to his dismay he felt a hearty tug on his tail. Promontory was smirking and dragging him along untill the unicorn finally gave up and started to walk beside him. "So where you staying while you're in town?"

Will managed to silence a gasp in his throat before responding, and thought quick on his hooves to come up with a reply. His voice wavered ever so slightly as he replied, "O... oh, just this quiet little place on the other side of town, has a nice view and all that too!" He was a horrid liar when caught on the spot like this.

"That so, well that's good to hear. You on vacation or something?"

"N... no I'm just kind of wandering, I don't really have a place to call home. I grew up in Manehattan but the city was too congested, and I felt trapped there." Will was relived; it seemed the earth pony bought his lie for now and was going to let it drop.

"Manehattan huh? Nice place it is. Can agree with you though, wouldn't wanna live there either. Well here we are!" Promontory kicked the door open and held it in place for the now embarrassed unicorn who trotted in to the gaze of all the ponies inside.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dinner had gone off without a hitch. The pair traded stories back and forth until the diner closed. The pair of ponies, now full and content, trotted off toward the middle of town where Promontory reluctantly spoke up. "Well, I'd better get back home, gotta start hauling freight early in the morning. Make some honest bits, you know?"

"Y... yeah. Please don't let me keep you up Promontory, I'm sure I'll see you again." Will smiled, waving a hoof goodbye to the earth pony. Will made sure to wait until Promontory was out of sight before slinking his way back to the field his cart was parked in. Curling back up the unicorn let out a sigh of exhaustion before promptly drifting off to sleep.

"Like I wouldn't question such a dodgy response," Promontory whispered softly. Without another word the stallion came over and threw a blanket over the pony. Content with his deed he trotted back toward his home to get a good night's rest. "Hopefully I'll catch you again, you silly little pony."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------