• Published 25th Oct 2015
  • 11,592 Views, 359 Comments

Nightmare Trip - RenegadeAlias



Our favorite boy genius builds a time machine in order to visit the past and disprove the existence of Nightmare Moon. Predictably, he bit off more than he could chew.

  • ...
20
 359
 11,592

Dark of Night

A/N:
As always, please point out any errors you find and I'll happily correct them.

Enjoy, and let me know what you think in the comments section.

“Who the heck are you?” Dexter lashed a hoof out at the figure floating before him, bewildered that anyone could find him hiding in the castle’s escape tunnel. According to Star Swirl no one else knew about it, and he was certain no one saw him sneak when he decided to use it as a hiding place.

“Oh, you don’t recognize me?” The figure mocked. From what Dexter could tell the creature before him was some sort of horrid amalgamation of several different animals all attached to the head and neck of a pony. “You were the one to notice I was missing after all…”

“But then again, with all this delightful chaos abounding, I’m surprised somepony else didn’t come to accuse me sooner…” He mocked, sliding up to Dexter’s side. “Oh my, this is a rather fancy suit you’re wearing…”

Dexter narrowed his eyes. “Discord.”

“Guilty as charged,” The draconequus smiled.

“Freak!” Dexter pulled away, quickly retrieving his rifle and aiming it up at Discord. However Discord merely snapped a set fingers.

The snap of his fingers seemed to produce a ripple of magic around his hand, which was mirrored by a ripple appearing around Dexter’s rifle just as the colt squeezed the firing lever.

The rifle belted out a blast of confetti, merely splashing off Discord’s form.

“Huh?” Dexter asked in utter bewilderment, only to see Discord wagging a finger.

“Come now,” Discord mocked. “It’s not nice to call people names. Also, that thing won’t do you any good. If that changeling thing could take your attack, what makes you think you’d fare any better against me?”

“You should just sit back, relax, and enjoy the Chaos. In fact, we both should!” Discord snapped the fingers on his clawed hand, causing a pair of recliner chairs to appear underneath himself and the colt. It was shortly followed by two bowls of ice-cream, one landed in Discord’s open paw while the other landed on Dexter’s face. “But I’m afraid I cannot take credit for the beautiful chaos that has engulfed Equestria tonight. I believe that credit goes to little Lulu…”

“Lulu?” Dexter growled, frantically trying to wipe ice-cream off his visor. Unfortunately, it merely smeared.

“Oh yes! I hear she goes by the name Nightmare Moon now. A fitting name, I suppose, for one whose mind has been thrown into chaos…” Discord added with a smirk. “Of course, I’ll be keeping my eye on her. But you’re the one that really has me interested at the moment.”

“And why is that?” Dexter frowned.

“I’ve never seen a foal like you before! You seem to be ripe with potential for causing chaos!” Discord smiled. “And your fancy suit, well it seems complicated. Like every piece was fitted together perfectly, so organized, so… ordered…”

“Let's add a little chaos, shall we?” Discord snapped his fingers. The dampeners in Dexter’s suit activated instantly, absorbing a healthy dose of energy.

However, when nothing happened Discord frowned. “Huh…” He tried snapping his fingers two more times, each attempt greeted with the same result. Dexter’s suit was charged to full power in a matter of moments.

“Having trouble?” Dexter smirked.

“Odd,” Discord rubbed his chin with his free paw, turning away as he focused on his fingers. “Hold on a second kid, kind of rusty at the moment. Being turned to stone will do that to you…” He turned back toward the colt. “Here, let me try harder…”

What followed was a complete surprise to both Dexter and the draconequus.

Immediately, an overload warning flashed in Dexter’s glasses - before his suit promptly burst into flames.

“Gahhh!!!” Dexter screamed, darting in panic. The wind from his running served to fan the flame engulfing his form. When his brain did finally kick in, he fell to the floor and began rolling back and forth.

“Oops…” Discord snapped his fingers again, causing the flame to disappear. Fortunately for the colt, the suit was built to protect him from extreme temperatures. But that didn’t mean he wasn’t a crispy, and rather angry, critter.

Dexter snatched up his rifle, angling at discord once more. Discord, still wearing a look of bewilderment, didn’t react before the blue bolt of energy bounced off of him before impact the cave wall with a small explosion.

“Whoa, whoa, hey!” Discord raised his forelegs defensively. “I didn’t mean to set you on fire.”

“What the heck is your problem you wacko!?” Dexter shouted. Discord was worse than Dee Dee, beating her record in the time it took to set Dexter on fire by at least a minute.

“I was only trying to turn your suit into a ballerina outfit, honest!” Discord explained. “At least, that’s what the magic I cast was supposed to do…”

Dexter merely shook his head. Discord had overloaded his suit’s magic dampeners, which promptly exploded and caused the fire.

But at least the dampener did its job before it blew; Dexter was still wearing a suit of armor.

“Why should I believe you?” Dexter challenged, cradling the rifle. It may be ineffective against the draconequus, but that didn’t stop Dexter from flicking it to its highest setting.

The blast would be enough to destroy the cave, and everything in it. Including himself. But Dexter was willing to bet it would be better than whatever discord had in mind.

“Hey, if you knew me you’d know I have a few rules: I don’t turn ponies into stone, I don’t kill anypony, and I don’t set them on fire… usually.” Discord trailed off, seemingly counting of his paw as he recalled each rule. “At least, not real fire anyway.”

“You just set me on fire AND nearly killed me!” Dexter glared at him.

Not sure if the colt believed him, Discord snapped his fingers once more, repairing most of the damage he had done the colt’s suit.

“There, good as new.” Discord replied, patting the colt on the head. Dexter promptly swatted at the offending paw. “And I’d appreciate it if you kept this little embarrassing failure of chaos magic between us, mkay?”

“Not good as new!” Dexter folded his arms. “My magic dampener is still fried, and it cannot be repaired by magic. Now I am vulnerable to magical attacks! If I get hurt because of magic it’ll be all your fault!” He accused.

“Magic dampener?” Discord raised an eyebrow. “Well that explains it; chaos magic is unstable as is. I can’t imagine the results if you start interfering with the magic itself as it is cast…”

“We should try it again.” Discord smiled, causing the colt to deadpan.

“You know, for the incarnation of chaos and an immortal, I expected a bit more from you.” Dexter frowned. For better or for worse, the entity before him reminded him of Dee Dee in a number of ways. “But despite my expectations, you’re apparent mental capacity – or should I say incapacity – is betrayed by your childish demeanor and utter ineptitude at following your own rules. I have no choice but to conclude that your brain is just as horribly mangled as your grotesque body.”

Discord merely blinked, before producing a deep frown.

“Don’t push your luck, kid.” Discord reclined back into his chair, returning to his bowl of ice cream.

Dexter growled, trying to think of a way to deal with the entity before him. “And what exactly makes you think ‘I’m ripe with potential for causing chaos?’”

“I’ve been watching you,” Discord answered simply. “That was a fun bit of chaos you caused in Star Swirl’s workshop. Nothing like the chaos of a good brawl to kick off the evening. Speaking of which, I hope that old geezer got away safely. It’s not exactly safer outside the castle than it is here, and I would hate it if I couldn’t show him a thing or two about chaos before Lulu got to him.”

Dexter frowned at the Draconequus. History portrayed Discord as a monster or sorts, using his chaos to drive ponies mad. But the more Dexter observed him the less he would agree with that perspective. Discord seemed more like he was desperately searching for ways to amuse himself rather than trying to hurt others.

As for his desire to cause chaos, if that was a product of his boredom or if he was truly the spirit of chaos was anyone’s guess.

He may have been mischievous, but he wasn’t evil. Kind of like a child with far too much power and time on his hands, rather than a malevolent monster like Nightmare Moon.

“You know…” Dexter began, deciding he preferred Discord running loose over Nightmare Moon’s rampage. “Why aren’t you, you know… taking over? Causing chaos and everything, proclaiming yourself ruler of Equestria?”

“And put a stop to all the chaos Luna causing?” Discord asked in feigned shock. “Never! She’s caused chaos in ways that I’ve never even begun to explore! Besides, if I interfere now, there is a small chance Luna and Celestia might put aside their differences for the tiniest of moments in order to defeat me. No, I’ll remain hidden for now. Once one of them is out of the way, I’ll be more than happy to step in.”

“But Nightmare Moon is hurting a lot of ponies.” Dexter replied. “And you could stop her. You yourself have rules you don’t cross, what happens when Nightmare Moon breaks those rules?”

“Which is precisely why she is causing chaos in ways I never have.” Discord countered.

“What!? That’s it!?” Dexter shook his head, wanting to slap some sense into the draconequus.”

“Ohh, I see what’s going on. You want me to be a goodie two shoes, hmm?” Discord feigned a consoling tone. “Shall I snap my fingers and solve everypony’s problems? Perhaps I should just become a genie and grant everypony’s wishes?”

“No, I am afraid Celestia and little Lulu are going to have to work out this little tiff on their own.” Discord finished.

“Well why not?” Dexter argued. “You could cause chaos and maybe save a few lives in the process.”

“Listen, I don’t take lives when I cause chaos.” Discord explained. “But that comes with a price: I don’t save lives with my powers either.”

“Though if I made everypony into immortal alicorns - that would throw the whole natural order of life into chaos while allowing me to pretend to be the good guy for a change.” Discord tapped a paw against his chin in thought. “But that’s an idea to save for another time.”

“Besides if I step in, you won’t get the chance to deliver the Elements of Harmony to Celestia.” Discord pointed out, motioning to the gems stuffed in Dexter’s bag.

“Uhh…” Dexter took a hesitant step back from the draconequus.

“Oh, don’t be nervous my little pony,” Discord chided. “I know all about your little plan to bring Celestia the Elements of Harmony. It’s all very boring, pedantic, unimaginative, cliché…” Discord added. “And doomed to failure. Which is why I am going to let you keep the Elements.”

“But just between you and me,” He wrapped a foreleg around the colt, pulling him near. “The Elements are useless without at least two bearers that are friends, and unfortunately for your little plan, Lulu and Celestia aren’t on friendly terms. So you might just want to run along and save yourself.”

Discord waved before snapping his fingers once more, disappearing into the thin air from which he sprang.

---

Nightmare Moon sat upon her blue throne, frowning as she counted the seconds until her captain arrived.

The throne room was in shambles, partially destroyed by the one-sided fight Nightmare Moon had with her sister. Several cracks in the wall and ceiling let the unnaturally dark night in, chilling the room to the same temperature of the world that was cooling rapidly from the lack of sun.

For most ponies, the darkness of the night would feel unnaturally heavy, despite the bright shining moon which hung overhead.

Captain Nightwatch entered the throne room. He bowed before his queen, standing a few feet from the lieutenant who had been waiting with the Nightmare.

“I am here in response to your summons, my queen.” The captain declared, glancing at Lieutenant Crystal.

Lieutenant Crystal,” Nightmare began, her tone sharp enough it could cut the captain in two. “Tell the Captain what you told me…

“Approximately one hour ago, one of the lunar guards under my command was on patrol near the royal vault room.” The lieutenant began to recite. “There he found the vault open. Upon entering he discovered an intruder attempting to remove six hexagonal gems from a pedestal. However, before he could secure the area or signal for assistance, he was knocked unconscious from another hidden intruder.”

“Fifteen minutes ago, he awoke and reported. I then brought this news here immediately after sending a squad to secure the vault. The gems are now gone.” Crystal finished.

“What, that’s impossib-“

Silence,” Nightmare hissed, causing the guard to swallow his words.

You’re wrong about something Lieutenant. The gems weren’t being removed, rather they were being planted.” Nightmare Moon began again. “What else did your guard report?

“When I asked him to describe the gems he saw,” Crystal went on. “He reported that they had different colors, the ones he managed to see before being knocked out were colored pink, purple and red.”

“But how can that be, I-“ A blue aura grasped the captain’s head, before slamming him into the floor.

Speak out of turn one more time, Captain, and it’ll be the very last thing you do.” Nightmare Moon declared as she pulled the captain back into a standing posture.

Of course, the first thing I did when I heard the lieutenant’s report was verify what she said.” Nightmare Moon began again, feigning nonchalance. “And much to my surprise, I found the royal vaults open! And the remaining Elements of Harmony missing!

But then I got to thinking, who in all of Equestria could open the royal vaults and do so without setting off the numerous spells met to alert us.” Nightmare turned toward the captain. “Do you know who?

Nightwatch shakily shook his head, the truth was he was afraid to speak at this point.

Only three,” Nightmare declared. “Myself, my sister - whom I’ve been entertaining since I started this revolution, and the pony who designed the vault: Star Swirl.

Star Swirl.” She repeated louder with a hiss. “The one pony I sent you to capture! I believe I told you: The capture of Star Swirl and his student is your top priority captain. Am I recalling correctly?

Captain Nightwatch hesitantly nodded.

But the notion that Star Swirl is acting against me is not enough to explain everything the presence of all six Elements of Harmony, even though he is a rather powerful mage…” Nightmare went on. “Crystal, do you know what the Elements of Harmony are?

“Vaguely, My Queen.” Crystal replied.

Do you know which Element the red gem is?” Nightmare Moon pressed.

“I believe it is the Element of Loyalty, your Majesty.” Crystal answered.

You’re correct.” Nightmare Moon directed her gaze back at the captain. “Puzzling isn’t it? How could the Element of Loyalty, one of the three Elements I sent away, possibly be seen in the royal vault? Almost as if someone were trying to place it there for Celestia to find?”

But then I remembered you, Captain Nightwatch.” Nightmare went on. “You were the one whom I entrusted with the task of hiding the Elements. You were the one, whom I gave explicit instructions on where and how to hide them, and you were one who selected the guards to escort the Elements out of Equestria…

Now what am I supposed to think, Captain?” Nightmare Moon snarled, a dangerous venom filling her voice as the room darkened. “You seem to have failed the eternal night spectacularly.” Nightmare went on. “Am I supposed to believe that Star Swirl’s freedom, and the reuniting of the Elements, was just a product of your ineptitude?

Or am I betrayed?” She hissed.

The captain stood, frozen stiff. The fear pouring into his stomach almost made him sick. He was still hardly able to speak.

Speak, Captain.” Nightmare ordered. “And choose your words carefully, for this is your only chance.

“I-I…” Nightwatch began, struggling to find the courage to speak let alone face the mare. “I d-don’t know, m-my Queen. I f-followed your instructions to the l-letter for hiding the e-elements, a-and Star Swirl o-only escaped b-because he had… help.”

I’m not interested in the lies of a traitor.” Nightmare rose from her throne, causing the Captain to take a step back in fear. “Unless of course you’re going to confess that you did indeed help him escape.

“I am n-not a traitor your highness, I’ve been only l-loyal.” The guard replied hastily, watching as Nightmare stepped down from her throne to approach him. “I c-can’t explain what has happened, b-but I will do anything to prove my loyalty, even submit t-to you in the d-dreamscape.”

Nightmare paused, tilting her head as she regarded Night Watch. “You’d have to be supremely confident in your loyalty to me to offer yourself to me in the dreamscape…” Nightmare replied in genuine surprise. “Not that you’d have a choice anyway.

Nightmare continued to regard the stallion, who was doing everything he could to stop himself from trembling.

I believe you,” Nightmare declared, surprising everyone in the room. Her tone was a lot less harsh as she continued her approach toward her captain, nuzzling the stallion softly. “You are a child of the night after all; your indoctrination means you cannot be disloyal. These failures must be a result of mere incompetence, not treason.

But one thing still puzzles me…” Nightmare went on, lowering her head to eye level with the stallion. Her tone conveyed genuine confusion. “Why would you be willing to go to extreme lengths to convince me you’re loyal? What would you have to gain at this point?

Do you prefer the penalty for incompetence over the penalty for treason?” Nightmare asked.

Nightwatch looked up at the mare in confusion.

The two penalties are the same…” She sneered.

---

“Okay. Crystal, or Chrysalis, or whoever she really is, should have Nightmare Moon distracted right now.” Dexter said to himself aloud as he checked the timer in the corner of his HUD.

Finding Princess Celestia’s chambers was a simple matter, given Crystal’s directions, and much to Dexter’s surprise, the room itself was lightly guarded. Only two lunar guards stood watch outside her doors.

Unfortunately for the guards, they literally didn’t see the colt coming. From their perspective, a blue bolt of energy appeared out of thin air before striking the first guard in the chest. The second hardly had time to flare his horn before another bolt hit him as well, causing him to fall to the floor unconscious.

“Easy.” Dexter bragged to himself as he pushed the door open.

The chambers had been reduced to absolute tatters.

However, Dexter could easily spot the tall white alicorn sitting on her haunches among the wreckage.

She was a mess.

The alicorn’s mane appeared tattered, despite its ethereal nature. Her coat was also scuffed and dirty, having seen far better days. Her regalia was still missing, and the streaks under her eyes matter the fur on her face.

“I won’t fight you, sister.” She declared softly, not bothering to look up. “No matter what you do…”

“Uhh… I’m not your sister” Dexter replied slowly, drawing a look of surprise from the alicorn.

“You…” Celestia’s expression slowly shifted from bewilderment to dismay. “This is no place for a child, you must leave at once!” She motioned with a hoof.

“Absolutely, you don’t need to tell me twice!” Dexter readily agreed as he approached the princess. “But first, you just need to fix everything by using these.” He upended his saddle bags, spilling the Elements of Harmony on the floor before the sitting alicorn.

Celestia stared at them motionlessly, eventually turning away.

“How in the world did you get those?” She asked.

“Long story,” Dexter replied. “Which I’ll gladly tell you how after you use the Elements to defeat Nightmare Moon.”

Celestia didn’t reply, sitting in silence for a few moments.

“Hello?” Dexter eventually asked, prodding the alicorn with a hoof. “Did you hear what I said?”

Celestia heaved a large sigh.

“Hey lady!” The eight year old grabbed a part of her mane with a hoof, tugging repeatedly. “You need to fix this! Nightmare Moon is crazy and you need to blast her with the Elements of Harmony otherwise the world will freeze over!”

“You…” tug.

“Need…” tug.

“to…” tug.

“Fight her!” tug-

“NO!” Celestia roared, rounding on the colt. Her eyes were glowing, revealing a fury Dexter had never seen before. Her voice was enhanced with the royal canterlot spell, causing it to have a deafening volume, it was enough to cause the boy to retreat a few steps. “I WILL NOT FIGHT MY SISTER.”

“I…” Celestia’s voice died down, her eyes starting to water. “I love my sister… I can’t fight her. I can still reach her…”

“But you…” She frowned at the foal. “I find it atrocious that she would use a mere child as a pawn in her little game. Did she really think she could get me to fight by sending a foal in here to ask for it? Be gone, young one. You would do well to avoid Nightmare Moon no matter her promises.”

“What?” Dexter tilted his head in confusion. “You think I’m working for Nightmare Moon?”

Celestia didn’t reply, merely turning away from the colt once more.

“Nothing could be further from the truth!” Dexter went on. “If I was working for Nightmare Moon then why would I bring you the Elements of Harmony to defeat her?”

“The only way you could have gotten into the royal vaults is with her help…” Celestia retorted. “And ever since she attacked me… she has been doing everything she can to get me to fight back… but the moment I do fight her I risk losing her forever…”

“Look, Princess, Star Swirl helped me get into the vaults okay?” Dexter replied. “And your sister has LOST HER FREAKING MIND! You cannot reason with someone who is CRAZY!”

“I will not attack my sister!” Celestia declared.

“So what… the rest of Equestria gets to freeze under an eternal night?” Dexter challenged.

“My…” Celestia began hesitantly. “Equestria is strong. You mortals are heartier than you give yourselves credit for.” She declared. “You can hold out long enough for me to reach my sister. I have to try. She is the only one I have…” Celestia trailed off. “I… I can’t face immortality alone.”

“Your sister’s mind has been consumed by Nightmare Moon!” Dexter argued. “Luna’s gone.”

“I DON’T BELIEVE THAT!” Celestia yelled once more, glaring down at the colt.

Dexter merely glared back up at the mare this time.

“I… can’t believe that.” The alicorn lowered her head, fighting back another bout of tears. “I won’t.”

“You don’t have a choice anymore.” Dexter eventually declared. “Discord is free.”

“What?” Her eyes darted back toward the colt. “That’s impossible.”

“It’s true. Thanks to all the chaos Nightmare Moon is causing, he broke free of the magic imprisoning him.” Dexter explained. “Combined with conflict between you two, the Element bearers...”

Celestia merely shook her head. “Even if I believed that, which I don’t, I cannot use the Elements of Harmony alone.” Celestia continued. “They require at least two ponies who are friends and possesses some combination of the six Elements…”

“Okay… so call up one of your other friends?” Dexter asked.

“None of my… remaining friends… are Element bearers.” Celestia explained. She opened her mouth to continue on, but was stopped by a sound from the hallway. Soon a number of voices could be heard.

“You need to go now, little foal,” Celestia declared. “It sounds like more of the lunar guards have returned.”

“But-“

“Quickly, go…” The alicorn dismissed, pushing the colt away with her magic.

The colt growled in frustration before shaking his head. He quickly collected the Elements into his saddlebag before slinging it over his back. He glanced at Celestia one last time before he vanished in a ripple of light.

“I’ll be back…”

---

Congratulations,” Nightmare smiled, as she levitated a set captain insignias toward Crystal. The mare lifted her hoof to catch them, ignoring the fact that they were drenched in blood. Though Crystal showed no outward sign of disgust or fear, remaining stoic. “On your promotion to Captain, Crystal.

It’s a shame Nightwatch had to retire so soon,” Nightmare smiled, feigning regret. “But I have faith in your abilities, Crystal. Don’t give me reason to be… disappointed; like Nightwatch did.

“Your Highness, if I may?” Crystal started. “I would like to advise that you separate yourself from princess Celestia.”

Oh?” Nightmare raised an eyebrow.

“If the Elements of Harmony are unaccounted for, it stands to reason that Celestia might acquire them and use them against you.” Crystal explained. “If you were to separate from her, it would become significantly more difficult for her to use the Elements of Harmony on you.”

A captain for two minutes and you’re already trying to influence my decisions…” The dark alicorn chuckled. “Thanks for your concern, but I think it would be better that I stay near Celestia at all times. Then I can make sure she never receives the Elements of Harmony if I keep her with me.

Then she can never use them.” Nightmare declared.

“Understood, my Queen.” Crystal replied.

My first orders for you is the secure the royal vault,” Nightmare instructed. “I’ve got enough to deal with without the dangerous artifacts in the vault getting loose.

“Right away, your highness,” The new captain bowed before turning away.

Oh, and please send somepony to clean up after Captain Nightwatch here.” Nightmare asked, before letting out a cackle. “Tell them all they will need is a mop and a bucket…

Crystal merely again bowed before continuing her leave, pushing past the throne room doors.

They closed behind her with a massive thud.

“What are you doing here?” Crystal immediately let out a hiss, directing it toward what appeared to be thin air.

“Waiting for you,” Dexter’s voice answered as a shimmering effect in the air revealed the colt’s form.

“So you meet me outside Nightmare Moon’s throne room!?” She hissed once more, trying her best to hush her tone after glancing at the two stallions guarding the door. “In front of these two?”

“They’re changelings…” Dexter scratched his head in confusion, failing to see the problem. He had scanned the guards and knew exactly what they were. “I doubt they're going to report you to Nightmare Moon…”

“Shut up!” She hissed once more. “Don’t EVER use that word, got it?” Crystal emphasized with a hoof. “You’re lucky the throne room is sound-proofed, otherwise I’d throttle you right now.”

“Which word? You mean ‘Changel-’” Dexter guessed, earning a hiss from both Crystal and the surrounding guards.

“Okay, okay!” Dexter backpedaled. “I’m sorry. I won’t do it again, but we’ve got more important things to discuss right now.”

“What about Celestia? Were you able to give her the Elements of Harmony?” Crystal asked hurriedly. “Nightmare Moon just… finished with the longest distraction I could get for her, but she knows about the Elements and she’ll be watching Celestia like a hawk from now on.”

“Well, um…” Dexter said, motioning toward the gems in his saddlebags. “I ran into a bit of a problem…”

“Problem?” Crystal growled in frustration. “You do realize that getting Celestia away from Nightmare Moon will be impossible from now on. We won’t be able to give her the Elements of Harmony!”

“It wouldn’t have done us any good!” Dexter argued back. “Celestia said that she wouldn’t fight Luna under any circumstances, even with the Elements of Harmony. If I left them with her, Celestia would do nothing, and Nightmare Moon would just take them back. Then she’d probably hide the Elements on the moon for all we know…”

Crystal cursed, stomping with a fore hoof. The stomp itself caused several cracks in the stone floor, surprising Dexter until he remembered there was a changeling queen was hidden under that pony façade.

“I knew it!” Crystal turned, scowling as she began to pace.

“You knew?” Dexter tilted his head in surprise.

“I knew it was a long shot. Celestia’s emotions are all over the place right now, as I’m sure you can imagine. I sensed in her a growing will to fight, but it seems that was fleeting.” Crystal answered. “I was hoping it might have opened Celestia up to the possibility of fighting, which is why I sent you.”

“So that’s it then…” Dexter huffed in frustration. “We can’t do anything until Celestia decides to fight Nightmare Moon?”

Crystal didn’t respond, continuing to pace around the room. A few times she stopped to stare at the throne room door, as those peering through it toward the dark alicorn on the other side. She could sense Nightmare Moon’s emotions easily, the hate which raged within her ran rampant, unchecked. The hatred was like a burning star for the changelings, blazing bright enough it nearly obscured the emotions of everyone else in the castle.

And it flowed out of her into every last one of the indoctrinated guards she called her ‘children if the night.’

However, there was something else Crystal could sense hiding inside the Nightmare.

“I think I know of another way we can get Celestia to fight…” Crystal said slowly, drawing to glance at the colt. “But we’re going to need to reach Princess Luna to do it.”

“From what I can sense, Nightmare Moon and Luna are the same individual; but they’re like different sides of the same coin…” Crystal replied, looking once again through the throne room doors to sense Nightmare’s emotions. “We just need to bring the princess Luna to the surface where Celestia can see.”

“How will that help with anything?” Dexter asked.

“Celestia won’t attack Nightmare Moon because she thinks Nightmare Moon is her sister.” Crystal explained. “But if we can convince her that Luna is separate from Nightmare Moon then-”

“Celestia might just be willing to fight her!” Dexter finished for the mare.

“More than might be,” Crystal said. “If she thinks Nightmare Moon and Luna are completely separate individuals, and that defeating Nightmare Moon is the only way to save Luna, then Celestia will stop at nothing.”

“What happens when Celestia realizes she’s been tricked?” Dexter asked.

“One problem at a time,” Crystal replied, turning back to the colt with grin. “Besides, I have a feeling that neither of us will stick around long enough to suffer Celestia’s anger.”

“Alright…” Dexter rubbed his chin, deciding to hear Crystal out. The changeling’s theory was sound, and she was the expert at manipulating emotions. Plus he couldn’t think of a better plan that had a decent chance of working. “Tell me what we need to do…”

---

“How in the world did I get talked into this? I don’t want to get anywhere near that wacko!” Dexter said, trying to recall what Crystal had told him a few hours ago. Of course he agreed to the plan that the new captain suggested, he was just doubted why he had been selected to carry it out.

“You’ll do fine,” Crystal assured. “Just remember what I told you, the key to manipulating Nightmare’s emotions is Luna. You need to create a wedge between her two personalities.” Crystal reiterated. “And don’t worry; I can still sense Luna somewhere in there with Nightmare Moon. Luna has always had a soft spot for children, I know she wouldn’t hurt you – or let Nightmare hurt you. At least… I don’t think she will.”

“Which is why you are the ideal one to do this, most others wouldn’t live long enough.”

“Didn’t the Lunar guard captain tell Nightmare Moon about me? Won’t she be suspicious?” Dexter asked, looking over his body. He was covered in what appeared to brown fur. His mane and tail had also changed to a dull grey.

“Actually, Captain Nightwatch kept what you did to save Star Swirl under wraps…” Crystal explained. “He didn’t want to have to explain to Nightmare Moon that a mere child stopped him from capturing the wizard. So no, Nightmare Moon doesn’t know about you.”

“And with this Illusion spell, you’ll appear as nothing more than a normal child to everypony else.” Crystal added, sending a few pulses of magic toward Dexter’s form. Each one altered his appearance slightly. “Of course, it would be easier if you just took off your suit…”

“I already told you,” Dexter sighed. “I can’t take it off.”

“Seems sort of limited, doesn’t it?” Crystal added, continuing to adjust the magic surrounding the colt. “Something out of place for what appears to be such a sophisticated suit.”

“Well, the one who built it was extremely concerned with my wellbeing…” Dexter replied. “I think she did it on purpose.”

“She?” Crystal asked. “There is more than one of you running around with a suit like that?”

He realized he said too much. “I uhh, can’t talk about it…” Dexter finished, earning a huff from the mare. Dexter looked over the changeling queen.

He couldn’t help but admire her skill at creating illusions, if it weren’t for his suit’s sensors he wouldn’t have a clue that she wasn’t a pony.

However, as he drifted back into his own thoughts he could feel a growing sense of guilt building inside his chest. The first thing he had done when he spotted the changeling queen was to threaten her, and her species with exposure and possible extinction; or enslavement if they were lucky.

Dexter did it because he thought they were responsible for starting Luna on the path to becoming Nightmare Moon. But it turned out to be the exact opposite, they were trying to stop Nightmare Moon at all costs.

They certainly weren’t the bad guys.

“I’d uhh…” Dexter began hesitantly, causing the mare’s ears to rise as she continued to work on his appearance. “I’d like to apologize…”

“I know,” Crystal replied simply. “You’re ripe with contrition right now. But for what, I don’t know.” It took Dexter a moment to remember she could sense emotions.

“I want to apologize for threatening you…” Dexter went on. “And the changeling species. I thought you were behind what happened here tonight… I thought this was some sort of reckless scheme on your part that could end up with the world freezing over in eternal night…”

There was a moment of silence as Crystal continued her work. “I suppose I can understand that…” Crystal eventually replied. “But I don’t take threats well, and neither does the hive.”

“We are not herbivores like you,” Crystal went on. “We are predators, it is in our nature to fight and kill for our survival – to retaliate against any threat.” She glanced down at the colt. “Which is why I understand why you threatened us, but it is also why we still regard your threat. It’s not something I would expect a prey species like yours to understand. Griffins and dragons would, but not ponies…”

“Maybe I…” Dexter hesitated, watching as Crystal went back to work. “Maybe I have a better perspective than you think.”

“And what does that mean?” Crystal asked.

“You can sense my emotions right?” Dexter asked, earning a nod from the mare. “Look harder…” He instructed cryptically.

Taking a moment to look at the colt, the changeling took him up on his suggestion. At first she could sense his drive; his anger and determination with the current situation with Nightmare Moon. Underneath that was his fear and doubt, natural responses to what he has seen over the past few days. Pressing on she was able to sense an air of innocence, confirming for the queen that he was in fact a child.

But there was something more: a primal willingness to be violent; the facility to enjoy the thrill of a hunt - to feel elation and victory upon a kill.

An instinct that belonged to all predators.

“You-“Crystal recoiled slightly from the colt. “You’re not a pony… you’re a predator of some kind.”

Dexter let his eyes wander for a moment. “You could say we’re both changelings in our own way…” Dexter eventually replied. “Though I am surprised it took you so long to catch on, the last changeling I met noticed after a few short minutes…”

Crystal observed the colt in silence for a few more moments, it wasn’t often she was truly surprised.

When she didn’t respond Dexter huffed. “Alright, c’mon. Are you finished yet? I’m not getting any younger and I’d like to get on with this before Nightmare Moon decides to do something else…”

“Very well…” Crystal eventually replied. “But there are a few more things you should know.” Crystal paused, checking over her work before stepping away from the colt. She motioned for him to follow as she turned to leave “Nightmare Moon is very temperamental; especially given the fact that she is with Celestia now. It appears that Celestia is the focal of the hatred which allowed Nightmare to form in Luna and eventually take over. Try to avoid talking about her.”

“I’ll try,” Dexter answered.

“One other thing,” The captain went on. “If Nightmare says you have a ‘sun-loving face’ then she’s already decided to kill you; you might want to start running.”

“That doesn’t make me feel better…” Dexter deadpanned as the pair arrived at the throne room doors.

“Alright, wait here.” The captain instructed.

Crystal motioned toward the guards flanking the throne room door, instructing them to open the doors.

Both of the alicorns were sitting on their respective thrones. Nightmare Moon looked up at the newcomer, motioning for the captain to approach. Meanwhile, Celestia continued looking down at the floor silently. She still appeared run down, her mane and coat seemingly uncared for.

I will break your resolve eventually, Celestia. I’ll eventually find out what it takes to get you to fight.” Nightmare Moon declared toward Celestia. “For what reason do you interrupt us?

“A matter of protocol which requires your attention, my Queen.” Crystal’s eyes drifted away from Celestia, noting her complete lack of reaction to her presence.

Speak quickly.” Nightmare ordered. “So that we may be done with this.

“The royal court has… a petitioner,” Crystal answered, surprising both alicorns and causing Celestia to look up.

A petitioner?” Nightmare asked in surprise. Her raised eyebrow and baffled grimace was the first time Crystal had seen the dark alicorn express confusion. However, she shook it off quickly enough. “This petitioner is either incredibly brave or incredibly stupid.

“Yes, my Queen.” Crystal went on immediately. “Normally his petition would be handled by court protocol, which was established by princess Celestia to dictate who may petition the court and what times… of day… he would be allowed to seek an audience. However, given that there is no more ‘daytime’ the- “

The protocol is now defunct, yes I see the problem.” Nightmare cut in. “I will establish new protocol soon.

“And what of the petitioner?” Crystal asked. “Should I maintain the Celestia’s traditional protocol which-”

No, I think we should hear this petition. He is the first one outside of the lunar guard to openly acknowledge the new lunar government, and my reign as Queen.” Nightmare declared before shifting her gaze toward Celestia. “At the very least, we will be able to discern if he has a sun-loving face.” She sneered.

But what do you think sister?” Nightmare mocked, feigning a tone of polite concern with a raised hoof. “Of course, you must have a say. We are supposed to be equals right? We’re both supposed to a say, right?

Well speak!” Nightmare Moon continued. “Should we give an audience to this petitioner?

Celestia continued to remain silent, eliciting a sneer from Nightmare Moon. “Send him in so we may hear this stallion.

“That’s the other thing…” Crystal replied hesitantly. “’He’ isn’t a stallion, ‘he’ is a colt.”

“What?” Celestia breathed, just loudly enough for Nightmare to hear.

A foal, here?” Nightmare grinned at Celestia. “Strange… very strange, but fortuitous, don’t you think sister?” Nightmare sensed an opportunity to test her sister’s resolve in ways she couldn’t before, an idea only encouraged by the wide eyes of growing dread on the white alicorn. “Bring us this child.

Soon after, said foal appeared; peeking into the throne room. Dexter didn’t need to act to any degree in order to appear as a timid, hesitant foal. Having witnessed Luna’s descent into Nightmare Moon, and the following madness, he was far from enthusiastic about seeing the dark alicorn again.

Upon spotting the colt, Nightmare seized him in an aura of magic, pulling him through the air toward the throne. The colt tensed in her magical grip, baiting his breath as he noticed the toothy grin on the dark mare.

Well well well,” Nightmare said, releasing her magic once she was able to grasp him with her hooves. “What do we have here?” She eyed the colt, before glancing at Celestia with a grin. “You must be what, eight, nine years old?

“I’m uhh… I’m eight, your highness.” Dexter gulped before stealing a quick glance at the other alicorn. Dexter couldn’t tell if she recognized his voice, but whatever the case was, she appeared more than concerned by the colt’s presence.

I’m sorry, subject.” Nightmare began again. “I know you’re probably eager to get to your petition, but there is something we must do first.

She raised the colt up to eye level, letting her teal eyes meet his blue ones. “I must determine if you have a sun-loving face!” Her sneer caused the colt to recoil.

It was enough to get Celestia on her hooves. “Luna, he’s just a child-ack.” A blue aura of magic appeared around Celestia’s neck, tighten rapidly.

Fight me or be silent,” Nightmare declared, glaring sideways at her sister. Nightmare raised up the colt in her grasp, displaying him to the other alicorn. “Well?”

There was a long moment of silence as Celestia stood motionless.

However, Nightmare was disappointed to see Celestia fold her wings before slowly turning away.

Ha!” Nightmare cackled, shoving a hoof in Celestia’s direction. “You claim you love your subjects yet won’t fight to save one of them? Well now we know your love isn’t worth very much…

But then again, I could have told you that.” Nightmare sneered.

Dexter shifted uncomfortably in the mare’s grasp, turning back to look up at Nightmare Moon.

Oh don’t worry, my little pony.” Nightmare pulled Dexter closer, feigning a consoling tone. “That doesn’t mean Celestia doesn’t care, quite the opposite actually. All it means is that she feels you’re… oh what’s the right word? Expendable.

Let me explain…” Nightmare went on, glancing at the other alicorn. “You see, I’ve known Celestia for a very long time, centuries even. I’ve gotten to know her very, very well. So well that I could tell you what she’s thinking.

“And you know what she’s thinking right now?” Nightmare asked, coming back to eye level with the colt. “She thinks that if she reacts now, then I’ll always resort to threatening foals when I wish to provoke her. But if she doesn’t react, I won’t do anything to hurt foals further.

A rather simple principle really, she is protecting children in the future by writing you off now.” Nightmare rolled her eyes before grinning down at the colt. “Serving you up for others who may never even need saving.

“You’re wrong.” Celestia cut in, finally turning back to glance at Dexter before looking up a Nightmare Moon. “I know you well enough, Luna, to be certain of the fact you wouldn’t hurt a child. I don’t have to fight you because you’re not going to hurt him…”

And she gambles your life on the belief she knows me well!” Nightmare laughed. “You know, I bet if you asked her a few days ago if she thought I would not overthrow her and end the diarchy, she would have told you she knew me well enough to know I’d never do such a thing.

Yet here we are…” Nightmare almost sang to the child. “She has no good reason to just sit there, watching you and everypony else suffer – except for the fact that she wants too. She wants something and she is willing to right off everypony else to get it!

“Luna you’re twisting everything!” Celestia protested.

You. Just. Can’t. Help. But. Hate. Her. Right?” Nightmare finished by looking at the child, waiting in silence for an answered.

“U-umm, yes?” He replied hesitantly, earning a huff from the nightmare.

You don’t sound so convinced, whelp.” Nightmare replied. “And neither are we. So the question remains, do you have a sun-loving face?” Nightmare sneered. “Do you even have the smallest appreciation for the night? Do you do more than just give the stars a passing glance each night before you forsaking them in favor of sleep?

“I-err,” Dexter began again, working up the courage to speak. Of course his fear was apparent to both the alicorns, but they knew he had good reason for it at the moment. “Y-yes your highness. I do appreciate the night. In fact I love astronomy, cosmology, astroph-”

Do you even know what those words mean, runt?” Nightmare still didn’t sound convinced.

“Huh?” Dexter recoiled slightly before frowning in resentment. “Excuse me your highness, but I’ll have you know that I do know exactly what those words mean.” The colt folded his forelegs. “Astronomy is the study of celestial objects and their natural processes, while astrophysics is specifically the application of physics and chemistry to the nature of celestial objects.”

Nightmare blinked.

“All of which is not to be mistaken for cosmology, which specifically relates to the nature of the universe, its origin and ultimate fate.” Dexter went on, almost falling into a light rant. “Of course the simpleton wouldn’t know the difference, and why should they? To them the night sky is just four thousand nine hundred twinkling little dots worthy of little more than a glance. But simply studying the stars in the smallest degree could reveal incredible truths about the nature of the universe and own existence in the cosmos such… that…” The colt trailed off when he noticed the dark alicorn staring at him intently. The scowl on her face had vanished, leaving her to eye the colt under her wing. “Umm, heh.”

Eventually Nightmare’s expression morphed into a grin before she let loose an extended laugh. She took the colt out from under her wing before holding him before Celestia in a pair of extended hooves.

Look at this Celestia!” She jostled the colt as she presented him to Celestia. “This is the future! Ponies everywhere will come to love the night! You cannot stop it, and soon there will be no more sun-loving faces!

Nightmare let loose another spin chilling laugh.

Celestia’s gaze toward the colt was still a mixture of surprise and fear. Dexter didn’t know if she recognized him, or at least his voice. However, his suspicions were soon confirmed.

“What in the world are you doing here?” Celestia said so softly she practically mouthed the words.

Before the colt could even think about a response, Nightmare pulled him back.

I like you little whelp,” Nightmare declared, putting Dexter under her wing once more. “But tell me, where are your parents? And how did you get here to issue your own petition?

“My parent’s…” Dexter’s voice trailed off as he looked toward the ground. Of course his parents were still alive, but at this point he knew there was a strong chance he would never seen them again. They were over a thousand years away, if not in another universe entirely. “My parents aren’t… around.”

Good,” Nightmare declared after a moment of silence. “Now no pony will argue with me when I take you for myself.” Dexter recoiled in Nightmare’s grasp as her wing became uncomfortably tight. He looked up to find her gazing down at him. “You belong to me now, little colt.

Any other family?” Nightmare pressed.

“Well, I have a sister… “ Dexter admitted. “But she isn’t here either.”

You have a sister?” Nightmare eyed the colt, her piercing eyes bore into his own. “You… hate her… don’t you?” Nightmare declared with a growing grin.

“I uh…” The colt stammered, trying to recoil from the mare as she nuzzled him.

Oh don’t bother denying it little one,” Nightmare breathed, nuzzling the child once more. “I can sense it. I can feel the power of hatred buried in the dark corner of your heart…

You should embrace it,” Nightmare went on. “But first let me teach you a little something about hatred.

Hatred can set your heart ablaze and make your will indomitable.” Nightmare explained. “Hatred can make you powerful, focused, and determined. And it can twist you into anything you need to be in order to satisfy it.

But the most perverse thing about hatred is that it is made most powerful by love…” Nightmare laughed before panting. “You see, the highest forms of hatred are reserved only for those you love. You cannot hate an enemy that you always fought as much as you can hate loved ones who has betrayed your love and driven a stake through your heart.

But that’s not all; hatred is finally made complete when you learn to love it!” Nightmare looked down at the child, a hysterical smile plastered on her face. “Once you learn to love the fire in which you burn, it will truly bring you power. Once you become addicted to the elation hatred brings you when you watch those you hate suffer! When you learn to let go of all restraint and welcome the glee you feel at the sight of somepony suffering.

Oh, it’s incredible and so perverse.” Nightmare let out another cackle.

And you have it child, you have hatred and it is for someone you love!” She declared. “Now all you have to do is learn to love it and you will make an excellent child of the night.

Dexter couldn’t help but stare up at the dark alicorn, wide eyed. He was certifiably sure she was nuts, but he didn’t want to run the risk of disagreeing with her and getting on her bad side.

But tell me, foal.” Nightmare eventually began again, more calmly and collected. “What has your sister done to earn your hatred?

”Well, she is an idiot to begin with.” That got Nightmare to chuckle. “But she’s done a lot of things. She’s destroyed many projects I’ve worked hard on, She’s beaten me up, set me on fire, poisoned me, exposed me to germs, exposed me to lethal amounts of electricity, irradiated me, lied to me, stolen from me…” Dexter slowly trailed off, hesitating to continue his list when he noticed the look up surprise Nightmare was giving him. “-Umm, heh. Uhh… She’s done a lot of things.”

Nightmare merely stared at the child, hardly able to believe what she had just heard. She thought she had a reason to hate Celestia, but this colt had arguably better reasons to hate his sister than she did.

Did your sister really do those things to you?” Nightmare asked, for the first time sounding a little concerned. However after a few moments of critically looking over the colt she grinned. “I guess she must have… the hatred within you is powerful indeed.

You will become an excellent child of the night,” She nuzzled the colt. “When you’re a little older, you’ll go to sleep one night and have no trouble waking up again… and then you will be one with the nightmare forever!

But I assume your petition is to have your sister dealt with,” Nightmare assumed, her voice turning cold. “Consider it done. I’ll find her in the dreamscape and deal with her personally.

“Umm…” Dexter began hesitantly. He had a good idea what Nightmare meant when she said ‘dealt with,’ and Dexter was pretty sure he didn’t want that. But considering the fact that Dee Dee was on another planet, a thousand years in the future, the colt wasn’t actually too worried about her safety.

“T-that wasn’t what I wanted…” Dexter hesitantly replied.

Oh?”

“I-I was hoping that one of y-you could bring Princess Luna back…” Dexter didn’t need help playing the part of a frightened child at this point. There was no doubt in his mind that ‘Nightmare Moon’ was off her rocker in more ways than one. He could only hope that the changelings’ intuition was right, and that whatever part of Luna that was in Nightmare Moon might be responsive to a child.

Fear not, child.” Nightmare dismissed. “I am Princess Luna.

“No, you’re not…” Dexter retorted quietly, deciding it was now time to press on. Though he felt like he was stepping through a minefield, not knowing when he would say something that might cause Nightmare’s fury to explode. “You can’t be. Princess Luna bore three elements of harmony and helped defeat Discord. She did good things.”

“But you, you’re an evil monster.” Dexter finished.

Do not speak of what you do not understand, child.” Nightmare dismissed. “I may be evil but I am rectifying many wrongs, correcting the injustices perpetrated against me.

“How so?” Dexter challenged. “By causing suffering and death across Equestria? Torturing ponies in their dreams? Betraying all, even your own family.” He motioned toward Celestia. However, the moment he did he was pulled up in Nightmare’s magic to eye level with the dark alicorn.

Celestia betrayed me first!” Nightmare roared. “I am not the betrayer but the betrayed!

“Perhaps…” Dexter glanced at the white alicorn. Celestia watched the scene before her with wide eyes. Frozen still as if she were holding her breath. “But you did betray all the others. Princess Celestia may have done something wrong to you, but the others didn’t.”

Yes they did!” Nightmare sneered. “They and their sun-loving faces connived with Celestia to rob me of the love and respect I deserved, casting me as nothing more than a tool to be used, forcing me to be nothing but the mare that lives in Celestia’s shadow! Choosing the sleep away my beautiful night and living only by her repulsive day!

“Are you trying to convince me of that, or yourself?“ Dexter retorted. “Betrayal requires intent. Many ponies may have failed to appreciate you, many of them may have favored the day over the night. But their choice to sleep during the night wasn’t one made out of hate for it.”

“And you, being the mistress of dreams, the one who interacts with ponies during the night and when they sleep, would have easily known that. You would have seen what you say is not true.”

“They didn’t betray you. And even if they did wrong you, they never intended it. And if they didn’t betray you, then it is you who betrayed them…”

“Which is why you cannot be Princess Luna. She was the Element of Loyalty.” Dexter finished hesitantly, watching the now trembling Nightmare Moon.

Shut up! Shut up!” Nightmare seethed, shaking her head at the colt as she bared her fangs. “You know nothing, you moronic child. Too young and inexperienced to know the meaning of half of what you say…” Nightmare shook her head dismissively. “Now be quiet before I decide to do something… unkind.

Dexter glanced back at Celestia. The white alicorn returned the gaze, pleading silently for the colt to stop. She must have recognized his voice by now, and knew what he was trying to do. But that didn’t mean she wanted him here. She knew the only way she could protect him would be to fight Nightmare Moon, something she seemed still unwilling to do.

“You know…” Dexter eventually began again, no longer bothering to portray fear. He had long since decided it was time to get brave, otherwise he wouldn’t have come nearly as far. “You seem so focused on turning everyone into ‘children of the night,’ but you’re the last person on the entire planet who should have any children.”

Shut up foal.” Nightmare commanded.

“Mothers work tirelessly for their children, even if the children seem ungrateful.” Dexter shook his head, remembering the reprimands his own mother had given him in his short life. “And they do so out of duty and devotion, if not love. It is a simple fact any parent should expect.”

“And any person capable of being a parent, anyone capable of being a mother and having children would have known that.” Dexter pressed on. “But you didn’t, did you? You can’t handle serving your subjects while waiting for them to become grateful. So you’ve turned on them.”

You’re an injudicious brat who knows nothing! You’re life is merely a blink of an eye compared to mine, on what wisdom does a foal like you judge me?!

“And now you want to call some of your subjects children?!” The colt ignored Nightmare’s retort, raising his hoof after pointing an accusatory hoof at the dark alicorn. “What happens the next time you feel unappreciated? Will you hurt them again?”

“There shouldn’t be any ‘children of the night’ because you shouldn’t be a mother of any kind!”

“Even if you were to have a foal of your own, it should be taken from you because you’d end up abusing it!”

Nightmare shook the colt furiously. “I COMMAND YOU TO BE SILENT!

“You’re a monster! And you don’t deserve to have a dog let alone a child!” Dexter nearly shrieked the last of his words, finding himself now unable to speak due to Nightmare’s tightening grip. Her forelegs’ grasp on his barely had become so hard he was starting to have trouble breathing, despite the added protection his hidden suit provided.

Nightmare, however, continued to tremble in sheer fury, scowling at the colt in the mercy of her grasp. She brought the colt’s face to close to her own. “I think I see the problem now. You have a sun-loving face!” She sneered, violently throwing the colt across the throne room. He bounced across the stone floor a few feet before finally skidding to a halt.

By the time he could look up, Nightmare had already risen from her seat and was descending the stairs before her. The air around her seemed to darken as the air in the entire hall dropped to freezing. Celestia too had risen from her seat, now looking more panicked than ever.

“Luna, you’d never hurt a child, no matter how angry you got!” Celestia pleaded.

Nightmare froze at the bottom of the stairs, her horn glowing in the growing dark. She continued toward the colt; however now each step seemed hindered as if she was struggling against a growing force with each step.

No…” Nightmare hissed, finally stopping once more after failing to take another step. She thrashed her head back and forth, stumbling backward. “Don’t… Don’t stop me now!

She jerked her head once more, drawing a large breath before huffing. Her head snapped toward the wall, letting her gaze drift toward her reflection in a nearby window. “Don’t get in the way!” Nightmare rasped.

He deserves this!” She shouted toward her reflection. “The runt has a sun-loving face!

“I won’t be party to this…” Nightmare said quietly, in a voice not quite as deep.

He has no love for the night!” Nightmare spat. “And he could never be a child of it.”

She thrashed once more before staring into her reflection. “I won’t harm a child.” She retorted.

We’ve already hurt many children. You may have spared them from the nightmares, but we have orphaned all those whose parents couldn’t become children of the night.” Nightmare stomped, leaving a crack in the stone floor. “Why not just take the next step?

“I won’t do this; I won’t let you do this.” The other voice countered, straining as it fought back. “If I hurt him, it would only prove everything he said was right!”

He will never be a child of the night,” Nightmare shouted. “And when he grows up, I will torture him to death in his sleep.” Her furious glare shot toward the colt. “Why not let me get started early and save us all some time.

She ripped her head back towards the window, glaring into her reflection. “I will NOT be a foal-killer!”

“You can’t make me do this, Nightmare.” She declared, wrestling against her trembling fury. Nightmare lashed a hoof at the window, shattering it with a crash. “I don’t want this, which is why you cannot get me to do it. I truly don’t want this…”

The dark alicorn stood silent, panting while she slowly drew her foreleg from the shattered window.

Nightmare drew a long breath, before slowly opening her eyes and turning toward Dexter.

By now the colt had risen to his hooves, having assumed a defensive stance. He was no longer acting the part of a defenseless foal. He was on a hair trigger, ready to send the neural commands to his suit to power it up.

Since he didn’t have any of his weapons, he doubted he could really defend himself from Nightmare Moon. His only option would be to flee, something he thought he had a good chance at should he activate his cloak.

Though that would prove unnecessary.

“Do not be afraid whelp…” The dark alicorn eventually spoke, far softer than Dexter expected. However, what surprised Dexter the most was the fact that the dark alicorn’s eyes were no longer cat-like, having returned to their normal round and pony-like shape. The fangs in her mouth seemingly disappeared. Though she retained her black coat and tall stature. “I will not hurt you. I would rather die than be a foal-killer.”

Dexter couldn’t help but take a hesitant step back. Despite her words, he had more than enough reason to believe her to be a tad bit unstable.

Possibly prone to explosive anger.

“I do not expect a child like you to understand, and I can see that a foal would think of me as a monster.” Luna admitted. “But what I am doing is right, and it is for the best. I know you don’t understand, and I cannot explain it to you. I can’t explain it to myself… but I know it is right. It feels right.”

“I did not mean to hurt you, child.” Nightmare took a step toward the colt, prompting him to take another step back. “Come to me so that I may apologize and heal any injury I caused you…”

Fat chance.

Instead the colt took another step away before casting a brief glance at the other alicorn.

Celestia appeared dumbstruck. Her jaw hang agape, her mind was a swirl of confusion, shock and fear at what she just witnessed in her sister.

A part of Dexter felt relief; maybe Celestia now understood the depth of Luna’s madness. There was nothing like arguing with your reflection to convince onlookers that you're a schizo. However, she was spurred into action when she glanced at the colt, noticing him returning the gaze.

Celestia rushed to Luna’s side.

“Luna,” Celestia placed a hoof on her sister’s shoulder. “Luna, please listen to me.” She pleaded. “I don’t care who is better, I don’t care about whatever differences that have come between us. I love you, please stop this.”

Celestia continued to plead with her sister. She hoped that now, after whatever just happened to the dark alicorn, she might be able to reach her.

However, the more Celestia spoke the colder the dark alicorn’s gaze became. Eventually Luna closed her eyes, starting to tremble as a scowl grew on her face.

Eventually the scowl grew large enough for Dexter to notice a pair of fangs appearing among the dark alicorn’s teeth.

That’s when Dexter remembered: Celestia was the focal of Luna’s hate.

“Celestia, you moron, shut up!” he pleaded.

Unfortunately, his warning came a little too late. Luna had opened her eyes once more to reveal a set of cat-like slits for pupils. “Yes sister, do as the little colt says and stop talking.

Nightmare turned to the white alicorn, seeing her head in an aura of magic before slamming it into the stone floor. The impact left a small crater which grew with repeated blows. “Fight me,” Celestia had slammed into the floor again. “Or be silent.” Another slam. “Don’t talk.

Nightmare released the white alicorn, allowing her to fall to the floor where she would writhe in pain as he wounds healed.

Flee.” Nightmare commanded, facing the colt with a deadly glare.

He didn’t need to be told twice.

---

Author's Note:

Thanks to the proof readers/editors for this chapter: GearworksPrime, Crescent Quill, Mimic Kairatta and Thardoc. As always they did an awesome job.

OKAY NOW GO COMMENT BEFORE YOU READ THE REST OF THIS. I want to know what people are thinking about the story.


I would like to thank Bumblebee Tuner for his awesome art:

Also, I would like to address two issues that came up from the last chapter. First, being the response everyone gave to my question.

Most of you seemed to think that the seal containing Discord was weakened in season one of mlp because the elements of harmony transferred from Cele/Luna to the main 6. (In fact, Celestia says as much when the main travel to canterlot to confront Discord.) Unfortunately that doesn't work because the story states that the elements of harmony disconnected from Luna the night she was banished - transferring entirely over to Celestia.

If the act of switching bearers is what weakened Discords seal, then the seal should have been weakened the night Luna was banished to the moon.

... and yes, according to what I've read (and according to many readers who think Celestia is best pony, best princess, and couldn't take it sitting down when Dexter called Luna more powerful in the chapter 'Herbal Substances') the transfer of the elements to Celestia did take place. Princess Celestia was the only person in the entire show to bear all SIX elements at the same time - during the night of Luna's banishment.

So Discord's seal should have been weakened (resulting in his escape) much sooner than it did.