• Published 28th May 2012
  • 2,758 Views, 56 Comments

Chrono Crusaders - Series One - OriginalGinger



The CMCs Invent a time machine! Can the timeline survive the wrath of three hyperactive fillies?

  • ...
0
 56
 2,758

Episode Five - A Link In the Chain of Destiny

“Time, my little ponies, time is a strange and complex thing. To any one individual, time appears to march ahead in one direction, forever charging forward. This, however, is only partially true. Each choice we make, no matter how trivial, has the potential to send time on a differing path, and many millions of parallel paths may exist at any one time. Nonetheless, fate will periodically intervene, merging all of the paths towards a single point once again. In this way, time is like a chain, and these meeting point are it's links.”

Princess Luna knew that not everypony to whom she spoke would full grasp what she said, though she hoped that her explanation would be sufficient to at least allow them a preliminary understanding. “The spell that we shall cast causes the path we are on to skip one of these links, to bypass the joining of the time line that is meant to occur at the moment of young Apple Fries' death. In this way we shall circumvent destiny, and allow her to survive.”

“What happens at the next link, Princess?”

“I cannot say that I know for sure, Twilight Sparkle,” The Princess answered, “There is a chance that the time line will right itself then, rendering our efforts for naught, though I do not believe this shall be the case. What I believe will happen is that the time line will adapt, it will make allowance for the individual who does not belong, and continue otherwise unheeded.”

Luna paced a wide circle around the eight ponies gathered in the clearing near the abandoned tree house, mentally double-checking her course of action to be sure she was not overlooking any important detail. “I have chosen the eight of you to aid in our tasks, because I believe each of you shall have an important role to play. Twilight Sparkle, You shall assist me in creating the break in the time line, merging your magic with my own.”

Twilight nodded in understanding, but did not speak, instead allowing Luna to continue.

“Sweetie Belle, I have taught you two spells which you shall simultaneously. The first is a spell to connect your mind with your younger counterpart, the second a support spell, designed to help hold together the magic that Twilight and I shall perform. Young Sweetie Belle, you allow your older counterpart's knowledge to enter your mind, and use that knowledge to cast the same spell as your counterpart.”

“Yes, Princess,” both Sweetie Belles said.

“Young Apple Bloom, Scootaloo, and Sweetie Belle, your task is to protect Apple Fries during the course of the spell's duration, no more than one of you shall leave her side at any one time. You must observe her carefully even in her sleep, for although we shall remove her from destiny's grasp, it will not exempt her from danger, fate may still attempt to end her life. You are not to let that happen. Apple Bloom, Scootaloo, and Sweetie Belle, you are to assist your younger counterparts in this task, and again, no more than one of you shall leave young Apple Fries' side at any time. This shall give her a minimum of four guardians at any moment.”

Both trios of ponies nodded in understanding, silently considering the task ahead, and knowing that the life of Apple Fries will lie squarely in their hooves.

“Pinkie Pie, you have expressed an ability, one that to my knowledge is unique to you. Somehow you have been blessed with the gift of foresight, your 'Pinkie Sense,' as you have so fittingly named it. Your task will be one of early warning.” The Princess gestured to Pinkie with her hoof, beckoning the pink pony to stand before her. “If you would please step forward, I wish to cast a charm upon you, one that shall link you with young Apple Fries, and hopefully increase the chance that you will be able to detect any eminent danger.”

Pinkie Pie bounced from her seat, and landed directly in front of Luna, a huge grin pasted on her face. The Princess's horn lit up and within moments, Pinkie Was surrounded by a pale blue glow. For a brief second her hooves lifted off of the ground and her eyes shone white. Once the charm was complete she slowly descended until her hooves gently made contact with the ground.

“Wow, Luna, that felt super-duper weird! Oh my goody goodness, I can feel Apple Fries! It's like she is all up inside my brain and stuff, its really ultra bizarre, but pretty awesome too!”

“That is very good, Pinkie, exactly what I was hoping for. It is nearing nightfall, so we must make haste. My magic is most powerful just after moon rise, so I wish to cast the spell then. Please, Apple Bloom, fetch your daughter and bring her to the path at the center of the farm. It is there that we shall perform the ritual.”

The elder Apple Bloom quickly headed toward the farmhouse, while the rest of the group departed in the opposite direction, bound for the center of Sweet Apple Acres. Upon reaching their destination, Twilight Sparkle moved to a level portion of the path, and began magically etching a ritual circle in the course dirt. The ground lit up with purple fire, etching first the shape of a perfect circle, then traced a nine-point star inside. When the shape was complete, the purple fire died out, leaving the shape on ground below, glowing with a pulsating light. By the time the magic circle was complete, Apple Bloom had returned with Apple Fries, and Luna began to speak.

“Young Apple Fries, you must listen to me carefully. What I have to tell you will be shocking and frightening, though I assure you we are all here to safeguard your well-being. You life is in grave danger, young one, destiny has chosen you to be taken from us. However, I believe that this terrible tragedy can be prevented. Tonight, once the sun had set, we shall perform a ritual designed to spare your life. Do you understand?”

Apple Fries' eyes were wide with shock at what the Princess had told her. She stood still as a statue for a moment, though eventually gathered the wits to slowly nod.

“Young Apple Fries, please step into the center of the magical circle, and stay there. Try to stay as still as possible. What happens may be frightening to you, as we will be casting a very powerful spell. I assure you that you will feel no pain, and be in no danger. However, if you resist the spell, it may not be effective. You need to relax and accept the spell's effects.”

Apple Fries hesitantly moved to the center of the circle, and sat down in the dirt. “Very good, please remain there. Everypony else, please take your place at the point of the star where I direct you, and remain in your place until the spell is complete.” Luna sent each pony to their assigned place one by one, and soon every point of the circle save one was occupied. Luna took her place in the final spot, facing across the circle and towards the sunset.

“I shall first raise my moon, then I must arrange my sky to aid our task.”

The moment that sun dipped below the horizon, Luna's magic surrounded her, and she began the ritual, beginning with the raising of the bright full moon.

The nine ponies watched Princess Luna with great interest. Of them, only Twilight Sparkle had ever actually witnessed Luna raise the moon, and even she had never seen the Princess alter the stars. The magic that flowed from the alicorn was thick in the air, surrounding her as she hovered several feet in the air above the apple orchard, swirling and weaving around her form. Her magic was not made of light, but of darkness, stealing the light from Luna's surroundings, simultaneously beautiful and terrifying. The moon rose above the horizon, and the stars drifted slowly across the sky. The familiar constellations would not be present this evening, the stars instead formed cryptic magical symbols that would assist and enhance the spell to soon be cast by the Princess of the night and her companions.

Once the moon found it's place above the horizon, and the stars finished their dance, Luna locked eyes with Twilight Sparkle, silently signaling to the aging unicorn that the time to cast was upon them. Luna and Twilight both began to chant as one, speaking in an ancient and magical tongue, first quietly, then gradually louder, until their voices seemed to echo from everywhere at once.

“Spiritus tenebrarum noctis, commoda nobis virtute succurre nobis potestatem ut ista continuatio vinculis solvere fata. A iuvenes vita pendet in statera hoc nocte, dirige nos ut contendunt ad ius hoc terribilis iniustitia.”

Spirits of the night and of shadows, lend us your strength
May your power aid us as we break this link in the chain of destiny
A young life hangs in the balance this night
Guide us as we strive to right this terrible injustice.

As she spoke these words, she and Twilight merged their magic, a beam of energy shooting from each of their horns. Where the magic met, the beams wrapping around one another in a spiral, hooting towards the sky together and forming a glowing orb high above. Luna gave another silent signal, and the horns of both of the Sweetie Belles lit up with lavender light, their beams merging with the others, casting a brilliant light across the orchard. Although neither fully understood what the words meant, they both instinctively joined the chant, the four voices merging as one in a strange and powerful harmony.

“SPIRITUS TENEBRARUM NOCTIS, COMMODA NOBIS VIRTUTE SCUUURRE NOBIS POTESTATEM UT ISTA CONTINUATIO VINCULIS SOLVERE FATA. A IUVENES VITA PENDET IN STATERA HOC NOCTE, DIRIGE NOS UT CONTENDUNT AD IUS HOC TERRIBILIS INIUSTITIA.”

The energy of the spell reached it's critical point, and the spell separated from the horns of the four casters. The pulsing orb of magic hovered high in the sky, hanging for a few moments before breaking into nine separate strands, three at a time, in groups of three. The first set struck the elder Sweetie Belle, Scootaloo and Apple Bloom, and the second hit the younger three. The final set struck Twilight Sparkle, Pinkie Pie, and Luna, and the magic coursed through the nine ponies, causing them to raise into the air and hover.

All at once the magic exploded forth from them, merging on Apple Fries, and she too began to glow and hover. The magic burst outward in a ring, radiating from the group and moving across the orchard. Released from the spell's hold, the ten ponies fell to the ground, and watched as the ring first grew outward then folded up into the sky in two great arcs, forming a dome above the farm, then slowly fading until nothing of the magic could be seen.

“It is done,” Luna said between panting breaths. “The spell is cast, though our task has just begun.”

o:O:o

Applejack sighed as she finished arranging the barn. Along the walls were sixteen mattresses. Six for the elements of harmony, who all had come to Sweet Apple Acres, either to assist directly or provide moral support. Six more for both trios of Crusaders, both young and old, and finally one each for Apple Fries, Big Macintosh, Featherweight and Princess Luna. Pinkie Pie had worked with her for the majority of the day, decorating the barn for what she called a 'Super Wonderful Kicking Fate To The Curb' party. Of course, Pinkie had assisted with with baking, cooking, and drink mixing as well, before departing to do her part in the spell. Now that Applejack's task was complete, she stepped out into the night, knowing that soon her friends and family would be arriving. No sooner had she settle in her chair, then she saw Luna and her group approaching from the east, and Rarity, Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash approaching from the south.

The Apple family farm had not seen a party of this caliber for at least ten years, the merrymaking lasting well into the night. There was strong cider all around, and even Apple Fries and the Crusaders were each allowed a weak cup of an apple juice and hard cider mix. Finally, at after three, the last of them fell asleep, leaving only Luna awake to stand as a sentinel in protection of Apple Fries.

The morning came far too quickly for the slumbering ponies, though they all awoke with little argument when the Princess beckoned them to rise. “Thank you all for being here. I know each and every one of you is here to support our cause. I assure you that your concern is greatly appreciated. Aside from those of us assigned to tasks on this day, I ask that you carry on with your business as well as you can, and that you do not interfere with those who are active in our cause. The spells effect will last for three days, and provided that nothing happens to young Apple Fries in that time, our task will be complete.”

Luna turned towards Apple Fries, and met her eyes. “Please do not separate from your guardians. They will do all that they can to protect you. Other than remaining by their sides, please try to go about your life as you usually do. If anyone has questions, now would be the time to inquire. I grow weary and must retire soon.”

“Just one, miss Luna,“ Apple Fries said. “Why me?”

“I am not sure I understand, young one.”

“I mean, ponies die all the time, why am I so important that you'd go to all of this trouble for me? Not that I ain't super happy that you are.”

“Ah, a valid question, but not one easily answered. Part of it is because you are so young, for a life to be extinguished so soon is something that breaks my heart. Also, you are close to those who I would call life-long friends, I have known your mother since she was younger than you, and your aunt Applejack for even longer. There are also selfish reasons, I must admit. I was present when the fate of Equestria was sealed on the peak of Mount Fortuna. I wish to test the boundaries of that spell.”

“I get it, I guess. Well, I am awful glad you are helpin' me. Thank you Princess.”

“It is I who should thank you, young one. Motivated largely by my wish to change your destiny, I have spent two and a half decades honing my magical skills. I am finally as strong as I once was, in the times before the Nightmare. Now, if there is nothing else, you all know what your part shall be. Good luck to all of you, I must rest now, then travel back to Canterlot this evening to perform my duties, though I intend to return on the morrow. I shall see you come morning.”

Those present posed no more questions, so the Princess of the Night took her place on a mattress and quickly fell into a deep slumber.

o:O:o

“Alright, now. Lemme make sure I get y'all. You are actually my momma from the past?” Apple Fries was rather surprised at this strange piece of information, yet at the same time it somehow made perfect sense.

“That's right,” Apple Bloom answered.

“So, Sugar Swirl is Sweetie Belle, and Epic Thunder is Scootaloo?”

“That's right.”

“That's pretty nutty. No wonder I thought you were an Apple, you are one!”

Apple Fries was assisted in her chores by the younger versions of all three Crusaders, who were helping her work in the orchard, while their older counterparts were relaxing under the shade of a tree nearby. The four fillies were having a glorious time discussing the hows and whats of their lives. Sweetie Belle was rather surprised that her older self was the singer and bassist for a rather popular local rock group called The Muffin Tops, and was in utter shock to find that, during her twenties, her older self had fronted a very aggressive band called Switchblade Sugar High, that had a few top ten singles on the Equestrian metal charts, before they broke up due to the drummer's rampant salt lick abuse. Her older counterpart had refused to let her listen to any of the records from either band, saying that it might influence her future creative endeavors.

“So, now that we got all that identity junk worked out, I was wondering, what is the plan after we finish all of this?” the younger Scootaloo asked, as she stacked a bushel of golden delicious on the cart.

“Well, we got a whole mess of apples in the kitchen that need to be bagged up for sellin' at the market.” Apple Fries said.

“And I gotta take these here apples to Sugarcube Corner,” the elder Apple Bloom explained.

“After that, Shinespark and Mornin' Glory are meetin' us at the lake. We are gonna try for our scuba divin' cutie marks,” Apple Fries added.

“Aww. We already tried scuba diving,” Sweetie Belle said, “but swimming is pretty fun anyway, so that's okay by me.”

Apple Fries stacked the final bushel on the cart and kicked off the safety brake. “Oh, dang! We parked the cart, right on the top of the hill.” She turned and trotted down the hill towards her mother, who was sitting in the shade of a large tree. “Momma! Think you can help us up here?”

The apple cart began rolling down the hill, right towards Apple Fries. “Look out!” the elder Scootaloo yelled, and sprung up, flying as fast as her wings would allow toward the cart. The younger Apple Bloom took her cue and ran towards Apple Fries. At the exact same instant, Apple Bloom rammed right into her future foal, sending them both tumbling down the hill, and the elder Scootaloo slammed into the cart, digging her heels into the ground. The cart screeched to a halt, and Scootaloo kicked the brake back into the locked position, then slumped to the ground with a sigh. Her shoulders would hurt later, but she knew it was well worth it.

“Yay! You did it!” Apple Bloom cheered, and soon, her older self, and indeed all the ponies present joined in on the small celebration.

Bagging the apples had been an uneventful experience, but with all the hooves involved, it took less than half an hour. Happy that the work was done for the day, the elder Apple Bloom embarked on her delivery to Sugarcube Corner, while the other six ponies headed toward the lake on the edge of Ponyville to meet up with Shinespark and Morning Glory. They decided it was best for the Crusaders to stick with their pseudonyms while with the other fillies, and to not mention the spell, or the danger to Apple Fries.

“Hey, you're finally here,” Morning Glory said as the group approached. You brought our friends too!”

Hugs and smiles were shared for only a brief moment before all six fillies were in the water, and the two adults took their places on the bank, making sure to keep a watchful eye on not only Apple Fries, but all six of the young ponies. Even then, it all happened far too fast for either of them to react.

When Apple Fries went under, Scootaloo learned that wings were good for more than just flying and powering a scooter. It was a strange emotional conundrum, being both desperately panicked by Apple Fries struggling to surface, and thrilled by the sensation of her wings thrusting her through the water at speed she had never know she could achieve. She reached Apple Fries just after Morning Glory, and wrapped her hooves around the drowning filly's waist. Morning Glory took the lead, swimming backward toward the surface while holding Apple Fries' front hooves, while Scootaloo pushed forward with powerful wing beats. Breaching the surface, Morning Glory thrust into the air, “I'm gonna try to keep her above water, I need you to get us to the bank!”

Scootaloo did as she was asked, and soon the reached dry land. “Oh, Celestia, she's not breathing!” Scootaloo cried.

Morning Glory had of course learned life-saving techniques as part of her flight training, and immediately took action. The moments dragged on for what seemed like an eternity as Morning Glory performed the resuscitation, and for a grueling thirty seconds, she desperately breathed for her friend. Finally with a cough, Apple Fries hacked up a worrisome quantity of water, and though light-headed and disoriented, she was thankfully breathing under her own power.

The nerves of all the ponies present were spent after that incident, so it was decided that it was time to head back to the farm. The evening passed peacefully, with no further danger or excitement.

o:O:o

Pinkie Pie awoke with a start. At first she was unaware of the reason for her sudden waking, though it became clear mere seconds later when it happened again. In quick succession, her left hind leg jerked forcefully, barely missing Gumbelina's head, then her head twitched to the right, causing her neck muscle to stretch just a bit too far and sending a shooting pain up to her head, and finally her whole body shook violently vibrating her clear off of the bed.

“Oh no, oh no, oh no! Gotta hurry, hurry, hurry, before it's too late!” She sprang to her feet, and barreled through the upstairs window of Sugarcube Corner, paying no heed to the several small cuts she suffered from the shattering glass. She hit the ground running, and in a pink blur, raced to Sweet Apple Acres, praying that she would make it in time, and literally kicking herself for not insisting that she stay at the farmhouse. She decided then and there that she would sleep in the clubhouse, or even in a tree if she had to, no matter what Applejack said.

She was almost to the farmhouse before she noticed the torrential rain and near gale force winds. She pushed herself harder, forcing herself not to slow down, and with a mighty bound, crashed into the window of Apple Fries' bedroom, sustaining several more cuts from shattered glass. Pinkie scooped the sleeping filly in her front hooves and quickly spun backward, breaking the bedroom door off of the hinges and slamming into the hallway wall.

Apple Fries awoke from the sudden motion and impact, her eyes snapping wide as she and Pinkie Pie watched the wind tear a hole in the roof of her room, sending shards of wood and shingles down onto her bed, followed an instant later by all three Crusaders crashing out of the bedroom in panic.. A moment after the initial collapse, the largest support beam cracked and fell, tearing through the mattress. It had impaled the bed at the exact place where Apple Fries' neck had been a moment before.

“Thank you Pinkie Pie,” Apple Fries cried, just before the tears burst forth from her eyes. Pinkie Pie held the filly in her arms, gently stroking her mane as the rest of the house's inhabitants rushed to investigate the sudden noise. Pinkie Pie barely noticed the stream of thank yous, her mind too busy registering her own numerous minor but painful injuries.

An hour later, the sun slowly rose, bathing the front deck of the Apple family home is warm light. All six Crusaders, both young and old were present, as well as Apple Fries, Big Mac, Featherweight and all six elements of Harmony. Fluttershy and the elder Apple Bloom were busily attending to Pinkie Pies wounds, methodically disinfecting and bandaging her patient, and so they didn't even notice Princess Luna swooping down to meet the group.

“Greetings, my little ponies. From the looks of things, I would guess that you have much to report, I see all are alive and well.” She looked at Pinkie Pie for a moment, and quickly amended her last statement. “Alive at least, perhaps not entirely well. Please, tell me what the previous day has brought.”

They reported the events of the last twenty-four hours to the Princess, who listened with a growing expression of caring concern. Finally, the story was told, and the Princess considered what she had heard.

“It seems that fate is quite insistent. This endeavor is indeed proving to be difficult. I shall forgo sleep today in order to help keep watch over young Apple Fries.”

o:O:o

As it happened, the Princess was nowhere nearby when danger was once again upon Apple Fries. The morning was as uneventful as could ever be expected, full of pleasant conversation and peaceful relaxation. The Crusaders and Brigadiers played together in the lawn near the farmhouse, enthusiastically, but unsuccessfully trying to earn their kickball, foot racing and cow milking cutie marks. When lunch time came, Luna decided that her presence wouldn't be dearly missed, so without a moments hesitation, she accepted Rainbow Dash's invitation to nap with her and the Scootaloos on a fluffy cloud a short distance away.

Apple Fries eagerly went straight for the food that she was named after when Applejack announced that lunch was ready, filling a large bowl full of the oblong cut treat, and rushing to the picnic blanket in the front lawn.

“Mmm... these are so good! You made 'em with empires today, auntie Applejack, my favorite!

“Empires are my favorite too,” Apple Bloom declared, and her older self expressed her agreement from her place on the deck.”

Sweetie Belle, Shinespark and Morning Glory all stole a fry from Apple Fries' bowl, and they too agreed that they were quite delicious.

“I told you,” Apple Fries' said, and nopony makes 'em better than auntie Applejack.” She dove face first into her bowl, and filled her mouth with a massive quantity of fries. Her face instantly turned from one of glee to one of terror, and she began making the motions of a cough, though no sound escaped her mouth. At first her companions didn't notice, too busy with their own meals, so Apple Fries swung a hoof at Sweetie Belle, who happened to be the closest pony.

“Hey what was that for... Oh, oh my!” Sweetie Belle's mind raced. Rarity had taught her what to do if somepony was choking, so she quickly placed herself behind Apple Fries. and wracked her brain for what to do. “Okay, just, um... Just try to stay calm, okay. You three! Go get help!” Apple Bloom, Shinespark and Morning Glory rushed towards the deck, while Sweetie Belle wrapped her forelegs around the choking filly's chest, and thrust inward. Nothing happened. Her panic rising, she repositioned her hooves and tried again. Finally on her fifth try, just as her older self dove onto the picnic blanket to take over, she compressed her friend's chest just the right way to send the half eaten apple fry out of Apple Fries' throat and directly into her older self's eye.

o:O:o

Rainbow Dash had lost some of her speed, but none of her daring in the past decades, as was evidenced by the bizarre and dangerous sport that she was participating in with the elder Scootaloo, and Princess Luna. They had set up a triangular course in the sky above the farm, two hundred yards on each side, long straight strands of stratus clouds marking the boundaries. In each corner were numerous small black storm clouds, the ammunition for the competitors. The rules were simple, every pony for herself, each time you tag an opponent with a bolt of lightning, you gain a point, first pony to ten points wins. The six fillies watched with interest as the two pegasi and the royal alicorn buzzed about in the sky pushing around clouds, and aiming the built up static electricity at one another with carefully directed kicks.

Scootaloo followed closely on Luna's tail, readying her strike. Seeing her opportunity, she turned around and kicked hard with both back hooves. The bolt tagged Luna right on the backside, popping loudly as it made contact.

“Ha! That’s six points!”

“Touché, Scootaloo! Though I am still in the lead!” She swooped up and stole the cloud right out of Scootaloo's hooves, and punched it forcefully. The bolt's mark was true, contacting Scootaloo's shoulder. “Ha ha! Now I am ahead by two points!”

Mildly angry at the Princess, Scootaloo chose not to react when she spotted Rainbow Dash taking up an offensive position behind and to the side the alicorn. She angled her cloud towards Luna's flank, and spun around to make her attack. An instant before the bolt was released, Luna caught sight of her assailant and quickly dodged. The unnecessarily large blot grazed the Princess, missing by a hair, instead striking a tall apple tree. The tree exploded in a fireball, the mass of the shrapnel heading directly toward the group of spectators.

With no time to think, Shinespark threw up the first spell she could think of, and one of only a few that she knew. Luckily it was the right spell, though an instant too late. The green disk of magical energy was still opening when a branch reached them, so instead of stopping it, the shield instead only defected the flaming shard a few inches to the side. The fiery projectile spun in the air, and struck Apple Fries in the exact spot that Rainbow Dash had aimed for on Princess Luna. Apple Fries winced in pain and the burning end of the stick tore across her flesh, leaving a long gash as a trail of singed fur along her flank.

“Rainbow Dash! Scootaloo! Luna! Get your sorry tails down here this instant, or I swear to Celestia, I will find a way up there!” Applejack's voice yelled from the far end of the orchard.

The three ponies flew down and landed in front of a very angry Applejack, and an even angrier Apple Bloom.

“Now, what the buck were you thinkin'?” the adult Apple Bloom began. “I got half a mind to buck all three of you into next Tuesday. I don't give two bits that you're a princess, or my best friend.” She looked both Princess Luna and Scootaloo in the eyes as she said this. “And as for you, miss Rainbow Crash, ain't you a mite too old for this kind of nonsense? Now you three go apologize to my young'un, and make darn sure she is okay, before I send all three of you to meet your maker.”

It wasn't often that the Princess was scolded, especially so harshly, but she stood and took it, never once retuning the anger or attempting an excuse. It was Apple Fries' mother and aunt whom she stood before after all, and in hindsight, she should have known better, and put a stop to the risky sport, rather than become an active participant.

When they arrived to Apple Fries' location, the elder Sweetie Belle and Fluttershy were already treating the wounds.

“Oh, um... Hello, Princess, Rainbow, Scootaloo. You three should really be more careful. If Shinespark hadn't been able to get that magic shield up so quick... well, um. It could have been much worse.”

“Dear Fluttershy, indeed it is my actions that caused this. Young Apple Fries, please accept my humblest apology for my mistake. I shall make this up to you in any way you wish.”

“Aww, Princess, it ain't nothin I ain't had before. I get busted up all the time. A little scrape and a bit of burn can't stop me, nohow.”

The elder Sweetie Belle gasped. “Just a scrape? I'm afraid that you need stitches, little one. Come on, let's get you into town and to the clinic to get fixed up.”

“Please, allow me,” Luna said, and lifted Apple Fries onto her back with her magic. Making sure to secure her with a magical strap, Princess Luna took to the sky, rushing towards Ponyville Medical Center.

“Come on, Apple Bloom, hop on,” Scootaloo said to her dear friend, “I know you're mad at me and all, but you need to be with Apple Fries, so let's go.” She crouched low to allow Apple Bloom to climb on her back, and once her rider was safely on board, she took to she sky, following the Princess and the injured filly. Rainbow Dash flew alongside Scootaloo and the Crusaders and Brigadiers took to hoof, running towards town, while Applejack went back to the farm to gather the others.

o:O:o

“A sphinx! I was not aware that they still existed, we must assist the townsfolk!” Luna cried when she saw the chaos in Ponyville.

“What about Apple Fries?” Apple Bloom asked from Scootaloo's back.

“Her injuries will not be fatal. The bleeding had subsided, though she does need care as soon as possible. Rainbow Dash, please take young Apple Fries to the others, then gather the elements and bid them to make haste, I shall need the assistance.” Luna swooped to the ground, and let Apple Fries off of her back, Scootaloo landed as well, allowing Apple Bloom to dismount. Once free from her rider, Scootaloo took flight again, joining Luna in the charge toward their newly discovered foe, as Rainbow Dash lifted Apple Fries and took flight in to opposite direction.

“Scootaloo, flank her from the left and attempt to distract her, I shall approach from the right and attack.”

“You got it, Princess!” Scootaloo charged full speed toward the huge creature and began taunting her with close flybys. “Hey, there ugly! Catch me if you can!” The Sphinx jumped atop a house and began swiping at the pegasus with her great hand, though each attack missed the mark, but only by a few feet.

Luna landed among a group of terrified ponies, her horn already glowing, preparing for an attack. “Citizens of Ponyville! Have there yet been injuries?” Luna released a bolt of dark magic, striking the creature's chest as she asked this, then turned her attention to the ponies around her.

“I don't think so, Princess. It only got her a few minutes ago, please help us!” a blue pegasus mare answered.

“Good. All of you, find shelter, we will take care of the threat,” Luna said, and took to the air with a powerful beat of her wings. She swooped around behind the sphinx, while Scootaloo dove in front of it, effectively continuing her distraction. The Princess grabbed the creature her magic and lifted it into the air. With a flick of her neck, the creature was sent slamming onto the street below. Luna could see a sizable group of ponies approaching from the direction of Sweet Apple Acres. “Scootaloo, fly to them, bring the Elements of Harmony here, I will keep her busy!”

Scootaloo flew as fast as her wings would carry her toward the group. The sphinx lifter her head, obviously seeing the grand banquet heading her direction. She quickly rose and ran toward them before Luna could react. Her speed was stunning, and within seconds, she was upon them. “Protect the young ones,” Luna yelled, though it was a moment too late. The Creature had caught the scent of fresh pony blood, and immediately went for Apple Fries, Scooping her up in her huge fist before any of the surrounding ponies could stop her.

Twilight and Luna reacted simultaneously. The purple unicorn teleported to a roof that she knew the creature would pass, and loosed a bolt of magic from her horn, striking the creature directly in the face. A the very same instant, Luna conjured a magical spear, and pierced the foul monster in the ribs. The cry of agony was deafening, though she did not release her captive.

“Help me! Please!” Apple Fries screamed, “Princess! Twilight, please help me!” She struggled with all of her strength though she could make no progress in escaping.

Applejack, Big Mac and Apple Bloom were the next to attack. They galloped full force toward the sphinx, and rained blows upon the creature, livelong experience with apple bucking ensuring powerful strikes. The Sphinx lashed out with her free hand, and swatted Big Macintosh away, then did the same to Applejack on the return swing. Both farm ponies went skidding across the pavement, sustaining painful but nonlethal injuries, though it was enough to take the aging earth ponies out of the fight.

“Rainbow Dash, Scootaloo, prepare to catch Apple Fries, I am going to try and force the monster to release her. Twilight, aim for her hand.”

Twilight Sparkle shot a bolt of purple energy towards the creature, and at the moment the spell connected, Luna seized the creature's fingers in a telekinetic field, and attempted to force the weakened had open. The creature resisted and pulled back hard against the magic. The combination of forces caused the creature to release Apple Fries as she swung her arm back, sending the terrified filly sailing over her shoulder.

Of all the ponies, it was Fluttershy who reacted fastest. The yellow pegasus became nothing but a blur as she took to the sky, blazing right past the creature and towards Apple Fries. Fluttershy rolled in the air, and caught the filly just before hitting the ground. She wrapped all four hooves around Apple Fries, and slid across the grass on her back, traveling several yards before skidding to a stop. The rescue was nothing short of miraculous, and everypony present knew it.

Now that the creature held no captive, Luna took her chance. With a powerful burst of magic, she wrenched to spire from atop town hall, and aimed it toward the sphinx. “Stand clear!”

She sent the spire at amazing speed, her aim devastatingly accurate. With a nauseating crunch, the makeshift spear shattered the monster's sternum and penetrated it's heart. The sphinx bellowed loudly and stumbled for a moment before falling to the earth.

o:O:o

Princess Luna stood hidden among the tall apple trees, watching the young family enjoying their evening together. Luna marveled at how beautiful Apple Fries had grown to become in her adulthood, and marveled at the sheer adorableness of her three young foals. These past fifteen years, not a week had gone by that she had not checked on the mare's well being, it was this mare that had show her that the plan would be possible after all. As far as Luna was concerned, Apple Fries was the single most important pony to ever come into her life. With a smile, she turned towards the far edge of the farm, taking her time as she strolled toward the stone bridge that crossed the stream marking the boundary of Sweet Apple Acres.

Her eyes moved up to the dark overcast sky. The rain would begin any moment, and Luna felt that now would be the ideal time to put her plan into action. She felt the first drops fall just as she reached the stone bridge, bringing a gleeful grin to her face. Indeed, she knew now that without a doubt destiny was not written in stone, the past could be changed.

She stood on the peak of the bridge for many minutes, gathering her magic. It would take a great deal of energy to travel so far back in time, but it would be well worth it. Forty years she had been preparing for this day, and finally the moment was upon her. It was four decades to the hour since she had received the letter from Twilight Sparkle, asking for her assistance in changing the future of the doomed filly, and as fate would have it, the moment was perfect for the spell to be cast.

As her horn shone with a massive light, Luna closed her eyes and released the spell. When she opened her eyes, her heart soared, she had done it, she had traveled twelve hundred years into the past. This was the first day that she could recall having that terrible feeling of jealousy inside of her. Now that she knew fate could be changed, she knew she had to stop it.

She spread her wings and flew toward the castle in the center of Everfree, ready to do anything that was necessary to stop Night Mare Moon before she could ever come into being.



Hurray! It is finally finished! I hope that you enjoyed my first ever My Little Pony - Friendship is Magic Fan Fiction! This also happens to be the longest story I have ever written, by far. Thank you to everyone who read this story, you seriously rock. The magic spell is Latin, at least in theory, what I have is what Google Translate told me the translation was, so it is probably inaccurate. Also, the sphinx in the second image is my first attempt at a vector. I am pleasantly surprised at how it came out.

As always, please let me know if you see any mistakes, so that they can be fixed. Also, since this is the final part, it would be super awesome if you would leave a quick comment and let me know what you thought.



I have a few ideas for my next story, if any of them sound like something you want to read, let me know. I am still deciding which I want to start first, so any input is very welcome.

Idea 1 - A side story to Chrono Crusaders - Series One, detailing the day that the Cutie Mark Crusaders spent with the Blank Flank Brigade, and the morning they spent having breakfast with the gang before being made to head home by adult Apple Bloom. - Singe Chapter / One-Off / Supplemental story

Idea 2 - The Crusaders go to the distant future, after the end of pony civilization, and encounter the last remnant of Equestrian society. - Single Chapter / One-Off

Idea 3 - A multi-chapter story detailing the events of a single day in Ponyville, from the eyes of several background ponies. Each chapter would be the story from the point of view of one pony or group of ponies (ie. Chapter 1 from Derpy's POV, Chapter 2 From Lyra and BonBon's etc.) from morning until night, with their tales intertwining. - Six to Eight Chapters


Illustrations created using the following sources
Apple Bloom by Kooner01
Sweetie Belle by CptOfTheFriendship
Title Card Dash asn Scootaloo by NightmareMoonS
Twi and Pinkie by TheDarkestDayDream
Dash and Scootaloo by MrLolcats17
The End Luna by Alex4nder02
Battle Luna by DraikJack
Big Mac and Apple Bloom by Tatsumaru-Ishida
Rarity and Pinkie by delectablecoffee
Title Card bakground by BronyB34r
Sphinx Battle background by Trotsworth
The End Background by MLP-Vector-Collabs

Holy Celestia, that is a lot of links! Hopefully I got them all, and didn't mislink anything.

All other logos and image edits by me, using screen shots from the show, fonts from DaFont, and images found on google. Images created using Photofiltre. Sphinx vector created by me using Inkscape.

Comments ( 11 )

771485 Actually, I threw in a few lines of dialog in the first chapter of them deciding on a name, and gave you a credit in the notes of chapter one. I guess I forgot to tel you that I had done it :derpytongue2:

I will definitely have more stories soon, already have a few in the works, in fact.

Thanks again for helping out, and for all the comments!

hooves gently made contact with the ground.
Everyone else, please
If anyone has questions,
She decided than and there
set up a triangular course int the sky above the farm
Rainbow Dash, Scootaloo, prepare to catch you Apple Fries,

1. Extra closing quotation mark.
2. Everypony.
3. Anypony.
4. Then and there.
5. In.
6. Extra word.

[nergasm/theory]Apple Fries is alive but now... Luna... My mind is thinking that if she DID change the further past she would also change the future where saving Apple Fries might, MIGHT not be needed... I do not know but the possibility is there[/nergasm/theory]

Yes you can probably figure out that I love stories like this... heck I like to think... but not too much... Am I overthinking my sentence?:pinkiecrazy:

772068 Thank you for the corrections, as always!

Exploring what happens when Luna goes back to stop herself from becoming Nightmare Moon, and how that effects the future may become a story later , but that is gonna take some planning. It would be a fundamental change in the history of Equestria, with far reaching consequences, probably both good and bad, so if I do take on that particular story, I will want to treat it with respect.

Anyway, thanks for the read, and for commenting on my story. You were my first ever commenter if I am not mistaken!

772113 Seems like I was, but that was saying I put this onto my to read list:pinkiegasp:

I like ideas 2 and 3. :twilightsmile:

Luna, you realize that stopping NM's creation would cause SO.MANY. PAIRS OF DUCKS!!!:raritydespair:

The Repercussions of your success are (almost) UNIMAGINABLE!!!:pinkiegasp: And did you forget what happens should you FAIL?!

It's gonna look real nice, an immortal alicorn goddess without ANY magic whatsoever.:facehoof:

All in all:static1.fjcdn.com/thumbnails/comments/The+other+ponies+are+laughing+because+they+don+t+think+its+_99a8c5c2641782963387ff1f4b647d0f.gif

I hope that you attempt this in the forseable future. I desire LOLs.:derpytongue2:

:rainbowdetermined2: i've got an idea, since they can go anywhere in time, how about changing the timestream of when queen chrysalis was a filly and alter her own personal timeline :pinkiesmile:

I'd want to read the story of how Nightmare Moon not coming into existence causes too many problems. And a year after the original chrono crusaders, apple bloom creates an anomoly detection system that makes her and the cmc the only ones who know about Luna's plan. After which, they have to do everything in their power to stop Luna from stopping herself.

The time magic has subsided! Yay

I love the part of the ending where Apple Fries lives, but I don't not the rest where Luna tries to stop NM. The reason is that from Apple Bloom's perspective(young) she hadn't died yet so she can still change HER/APPLE FRIES'S future, but Luna has already done NM and as the old saying goes, the rest is history. I believe you can change the future(no matter how hard), but the past is 100% fixed or else you get a paradox. That's technically how Physics works if time travel were to happen and it's all a matter of perspective. If the past Celestia was a good sister or Luna decided to not accept the Nightmare on their own then time would change for them, sort of like MCU time travel

Login or register to comment