• Published 28th May 2012
  • 2,758 Views, 56 Comments

Chrono Crusaders - Series One - OriginalGinger



The CMCs Invent a time machine! Can the timeline survive the wrath of three hyperactive fillies?

  • ...
0
 56
 2,758

Episode One - One-Point Twenty-One Jug-O-Whats

The idea had been spinning around in her head all night, and as a result, Apple Bloom had gotten very little sleep. She finally gave up on rest and headed out an hour before sunrise, determined to put her plan into action. Gathering all of the required supplies and carrying them to the Cutie Mark Crusaders' clubhouse had been a grueling job, but Apple Bloom knew it would be worth every second.

It had been nearly two weeks since school let out for the summer, and though they had been crusading almost every day, Apple Bloom and her two best friends still hadn't earned their cutie marks. This day would be different, her idea was far too good not to work. The epiphany had come when she was reading a book she had borrowed from Twilight's library, A Trottingham Stallion in Princess Luna's Court. Apple Bloom knew in her heart that if building a time travel device did not earn cutie marks for herself, Sweetie Belle, Scootaloo, then nothing would.

“Hey, Apple Bloom,” Scootaloo said as she entered the clubhouse, Sweetie Belle following close behind. “What the heck is all this junk?”

“It ain't junk, its a time machine, or at least it will be soon. We need more stuff though, I ain't got everything we need here on the farm.”

“Really, a time machine?” Scootaloo said. She smiled brightly for a moment before her expression turned to confusion, “hold on, how do you know how to make a time machine?”

“Well, this book I got talks a little about how to make one.” Apple Bloom rummaged through her pile for a moment until she found her book, and the plans she had sketched, handing them to Scootaloo, who immediately tossed them aside. “The book ain't got everything we need to know in it, but I bet we can figure the rest out as we go along.”

Sweetie Belle picked up the crude crayon drawing and began to examine it, a skeptical expression drawn plainly across her face. “I don't know about this, doesn't it seem a little dangerous?”

“Oh, don't be such a wuss, I think its an awesome idea,” Scootaloo said. “Apple Bloom, show me what all you got so far.”

Apple Bloom had gathered various lengths and gauges of electrical wire, three folding lawn chairs, two wall clocks, an electric fan, a green marker, some copper tubing of varying sizes, a gas generator, three gallons of gasoline, and a whole slew of random metal parts she had either found, or liberated from the family's farming equipment. She also had a bag of tools, several planks of wood, and plenty of screws, nails, hinges, nuts, and bolts. She showed each piece to her friends, who were visibly becoming more excited as each new item was presented to them.

“We still need three cookie sheets, and as much plutonium as we can get our hooves on,” Apple Bloom said. “I was kinda hoping Twilight might help us. She did some magical time travelin' a few months ago, remember?”

“Wait, so if you can time travel with magic, what's the point of the time machine?” Sweetie Belle asked, confused.

Apple Bloom considered this for a moment before answering. “Well, only unicorns can use the magic, for one, and I think that only goes back in time, and only for a minute or two, this will let us go anywhere in time, for as long as we want, even to the future!”

"It does sound fun to travel trough time,” Sweetie Belle admitted, “maybe we will even get our time traveler cutie marks.”

“That’s the spirit, Sweetie Belle! Let's go get Twilight, and find all the rest of the stuff we need,” the pegasus filly exclaimed.

The three fillies, extremely excited and resolute in their plan, literally jumped out of their clubhouse, bypassing the steps completely. Scootaloo pulled Apple Bloom's wagon from under the wooden building, and attached it to her scooter.

“What the heck is plutonium, anyway?” Scootaloo asked.

“I dunno, but I'm pretty sure we need it.”

Sweetie Belle climbed carefully into the wagon, and strapped her helmet on, “Well, what is it for?”

“We gotta have one point twenty-one jug-o-whats of power,” Apple Bloom explained. “We gotta build something called a flex compactor, and put the plutonium inside, that’s what makes it work.”

“Well, how the heck are we gonna find plutonium, if we don't even know what it is?”

“Maybe Twilight knows. We should head to the library first,” Apple Bloom said, putting on her helmet and taking her standard seat in the wagon.

“Good idea, Twilight knows, like, everything,” Scootaloo replied, as she strapped on her helmet and saddle bag, mounted her scooter, and took off towards town.

“CUTIE MARK CRUSADERS TIME MACHINE BUILDERS! YAY!”

o:O:o

Sugarcube Corner was nearly empty when the Crusades arrived, populated only by Pinkie Pie, and, to Scootaloo's glee, Rainbow Dash. They had to pass by the bakery to reach Twilight's Library, and couldn't resist a quick cupcake detour. The five ponies shared in an abundance of confections, and talked talked happily, the smell of sugary sweets and freshly baked pies keeping everyone in high spirits.

“Pinkie Pie, can we ask you a favor?” Apple Bloom asked. “We need some cookie sheets. We are building a time machine.”

“What the hay do cookie sheets have to do with time machines? Where did you get a crazy idea like that anyway?” Rainbow Dash asked.

“They are for the flex compactor. We need them to shield us from radiation,” Apple Bloom answered, matter-of-factually.

“You didn't say anything about radiation, Apple Bloom,” Sweetie said, “that sounds really dangerous.”

“No way, you have to be exposed for like ten minutes before it starts having any lasting effects,” Apple Bloom explained, “and at least thirty as long as we have the shielding. We won't be exposed for nearly that long.”

“I don't know, I still think it sounds dangerous” Sweetie Bell said, an obviously nervous tone in her voice.

“I can TOTALLY lend you some cookie sheets! We have like a bazillion of them here, I bet Mr. and Mrs. Cake won't even notice!” Pinkie said, and disappeared into the back room of the bakery, appearing an instant later carrying three cookie sheets, and three filly sized radiation suits. “Here you go girls, I had this radiation gear laying around, and I though you guys might like to use it. You don't want to be growing any extra heads, or mutating into weird freak trolls or something, radiation is nasty stuff. I used up all my plutonium experimenting with glowing cupcakes though, too bad you didn't tell me you need it last week, it would have been TOTALLY fun to go on adventures though time with you three.”

“Wait, are you saying those glow in the dark cupcakes were... radioactive?” Rainbow Dash asked, a horrified look on her face.

“Of course they were, Dashie! How the heck else would I make them glow green? Duh!”

“Wow, does that mean you are radioactive now, Rainbow Dash?” Scootaloo asked, “Are you gonna become a super hero or something, that would be SO COOL!”

“Oh, man,” Rainbow said, visibly shaking, “I need to go see a doctor, right now.” With that, she raced out of the window, and was out of sight in seconds.

“So, do you know where we can get the plutonium or not?” Apple Bloom asked.

“Plutonium? What are you talking about? Why in the world would I have any clue where to get plutonium?”

“But Pinkie Pie, you just...” Apple Bloom said, “Oh, never mind. Let's go, maybe Twilight will know.”

o:O:o

The quarter-mile trip to Twilight's library went as smoothly as could be expected. They only crashed twice, once into a tree that Scootaloo swore had jumped right out in front of her, and once into a crate of oranges that Scootaloo said she sincerely believed that she could clear. Apple Bloom had an urge to tell Scootaloo exactly what she though about her excuses, but resisted for the sake of avoiding unnecessary arguments, crashing was pretty much par for the course anyway.

They asked Twilight about plutonium the moment they arrived, and Apple Bloom immediately regretted it. She really should have foreseen the inevitable lecture about the radiation, and the properties of the various radioactive substances. However, as boring as it was, she had to admit she did learn a few useful facts. The first useful fact was that plutonium is actually less dangerous than she has assumed, something about half-life and gamma something. It was still dangerous, but as long as they wore the radiation suits, it would be fine. The second fact was far more discouraging. Plutonium, it seems, is exceptionally rare, and extremely expensive. Uranium, on the other hoof, is supposedly much cheaper and easily acquired. Apple Bloom didn't know if uranium would work, but she figured it was worth a shot.

“... so in conclusion, university studies have shown that nuclear power will be the next great innovation in energy production, reducing the cost of electricity as much as tenfold, and allowing widespread adoption of powered appliances and battery-operated vehicular transportation. Any questions?”

“Yeah, where do we get some of this uranium stuff?”

“Well, Apple Bloom, it is a highly regulated substance, and you must be licensed to handle it,” Twilight Sparkle replied. “Now that I think about it, you girls really shouldn't play with volatile elements. You never told me why you think you feel you need uranium, or plutonium for that matter, either.”

“We're building a time machine!” the Crusaders said in unison.

“A what?”

“A time machine!” the girls answered, again in perfect unison.

“I think that might be a little over your head girls. The science involved would be extremely complex, I doubt a team of the best scientists in Equestria would be able to pull it off.”

“But that book you lent me said all we need to do is build a flex compactor, and channel one point twenty-one jug-o-whats of energy into a rift in the time-space thing-a-ma-do,” said Apple Bloom.

“Yeah, sounds super simple to me,” Scootaloo added.

“Sounds super scary and dangerous to me,” Sweetie Bell said.

“It's called a flux capacitor, and the energy unit is a gigawatt,” Twilight said.

“That's what I said, flex compactor and jug-o-what. The whole thing sounded really easy to build when the book told about it. I bet we can do it.”

“Girls, that is just a story, though I believe I have some books here that will give us more information on the time-space-continuum, and the various theoretical circumstances in which one might go about manipulating it.” Twilight began pulling books of of various shelves, quickly amassing a large stack that appeared to be in danger of toppling over.

“That's alright, Twilight, we ain't got time for all that today,” Apple Bloom said. Twilight made no reply, apparently already deeply absorbed in a large brown tome. Taking the opportunity for escape, the Cutie Mark Crusaders slowly inched toward the door, and exited silently, their bookworm host giving no sign that she noticed their departure. “Alright, Crusaders, time for us to find us some uranium.”

“CUTIE MARK CRUSADERS URANIUM FINDERS! YAY!”

o:O:o

“Alright girls, my contact says that this wagon is headed to Canterlot, we ain't got any second chances in this operation, so be careful.”

The three fillies were dressed in black ninja gear, and wearing matching black saddle bags. Hiding in the shadows of a closed vegetable stand, they waited for the opportune moment. Each filly had told their respective guardians that they would be spending the night at one of the other's houses, in order to facilitate their mission to the Canterlot University Science Research Institute. They knew that it was do or die. If this operation was a failure, not only would they miss their best chance at obtaining any radioactive fuel sources, they would also face at least two weeks grounding each, if not more.

Apple Blooms contact was Dinky Doo, who had heard from Sunny Daze, who had heard from Starburst, that Bon Bon's cousin, Radish Runner, delivered vegetables to the Canterlot University cafeteria every Sunday evening. It hadn't taken long to identify the grey earth stallion packing the wagon as Radish Runner, Pinkie Pie had been happy to point him out. Apple Bloom watched him closely, waiting until she was sure that he was distracted before she gave the signal.

“Now,” she said, just as Radish Runner tuned his back to speak to a sea foam green unicorn mare. Apple Bloom leaped onto the wagon and under the blue tarp with astounding grace and precision, Scootaloo following close behind.

“Come on Sweetie Belle,” Scootaloo whispered, and held out a hoof. Sweetie hesitated for a moment before finally jumping up and grabbing pegasus's hoof. Scootaloo pulled her up, and the two disappeared under the tarp an instant before Radish Runner turned back to face the cart.

“Alright, looks like we made it,” Apple Bloom began. “Like I said, we ain't got no second chances, so I need everypony to be on their A-game. Now here is the plan...”

The stowaway Crusaders discussed the plan as quietly as they could muster as the vegetable wagon began it's trip toward Canterlot. They would sneak out of the wagon once they arrived, and stealthily find their way to the nuclear energy research laboratories. Once there, they were to dress in the radiation suits that they had stowed in their saddle bags, find a way into the hazardous materials storage, and acquire as much plutonium and uranium as they could carry. When that was accomplished they would return to the wagon and ride it back to Ponyville. It would take an hour for the wagon to be unloaded, re-loaded with last week's empty barrels and crates, and begin it's return trip, so the Crusaders had complete their task in that time. It was a risky plan, to be sure, but if they were to get their time machine up and running, it had to be done.

o:O:o

“So far so good,” Scootaloo said, as she pulled the hood of her hazmat suit over her head. The first few steps of the plan had gone off without a hitch, and they had just found a maintenance closet near the laboratory entrance to use as a changing room. After a few minutes, all three were dressed and ready for the next phase of the operation.

“Alright, ain't no turnin' back now. Y'all ready?”

“I'm ready.”

“Very ready!”

“Alright, let's do this, Apple Bloom said as she opened the closet door, and stepped into the dimly-lit hallway, Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle following close behind. The hallway was extremely plain, with white walls and a grey and white checked floor. Glass doors leading to the various labs were placed at even intervals of about thirty feet, above each one was mounted a blue plague with white letters identifying the purpose of each lab.

They passed three doors, one on the left, and two on the right before reaching the target destination. Scootaloo was reaching for the door latch when something caught her ear. “Wait, do you hear that?”

Sweetie Belle's eyes widened in alarm.“Hear what?”

“Voices. I think somepony is coming, we need to hide!” The pegasus looked around in panic. Not seeing any hiding spots in the hall, she grabbed the latch on the door, and swung it open, diving into the room. “Come on!”

The fillies busted into the laboratory, and dove into an open cabinet under a large table with a metal top. Apple Bloom closed the slatted door once they were all inside, and the three friends huddled together in silence. The voices grew closer moment by moment, until they could hear two distinct voices entering the room. They pressed their noses against the cabinet door and peered through the slats.

Two gryphons entered the laboratory, each had several black bags, similar to the saddlebags the Crusaders had brought, and were talking quietly to each other. They moved to a large door on the opposite side of the laboratory, and the larger gryphon took several odd looking tools out of one of his bags, and began to tamper with the locks. Scootaloo couldn’t quite see what was happening, but she imagined that he was attempting to bypass some sort of security. After a minute or so, she heard a loud click, and saw the door swing open.

“Alright, Oscar, your move,” the larger gryphon said.

“Ten-four, Ned,” said the smaller gryphon. Oscar entered the room and began filling his bags with heavy-looking metal boxes, some marked U-235, others marked P-239. Every time he filled two saddle bags, Ned would take them, stacking them near the cabinet where the crusaders hid.

“I think that is the stuff we need,” Apple Bloom whispered. “They are taking it all for themselves.”

Scootaloo examined the contents of their cabinet for a moment, and realized that there were several boxes of similar size to the ones the gryphons were stealing. They were marked lead shielding, ”I have an idea,” Scootaloo whispered. “give me your bags.”

Scootaloo quickly and quietly filled the saddlebags with the boxes of lead, and resumed watching the gryphons, waiting for their attention to be directed away from the area the Crusader were in. She placed one of the bags on her back, and once both of their adversaries were inside the room beyond the security door, she stealthily opened the cabinet, and switched her bag of lead for one of the uranium and plutonium filled bags, rushed back to their hiding place, and gave the bag to Apple Bloom. Repeating the process again, she gave the second bag to Sweetie Bell.

“Okay, just one more,” the pegasus filly whispered, and watched the gryphons closely, preparing to switch the third bag. Once she believed the coast was clear, she carefully opened the cabinet, and dashed towards the pile.

“Hey, who are you?”

Scootaloo whipped her head around, and saw Ned coming right for her. “Run,” she exclaimed, “they saw me!” Scootaloo quickly grabbed a bag of radioactive fuel, before running out of the laboratory as fast as she could. Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle leaped out from hiding, and followed their friend, Ned close on their tale and Oscar not far behind.

“You have no idea who you are stealing from,” Oscar yelled. “You filthy little mules are gonna regret this!”

“You'll have to catch us first,” Scootaloo said, and blew a raspberry over her shoulder at the gryphons. The three fillies ran with all of their might through the hallways, past the biology labs, and into a large courtyard.

“Look, over there,” said Apple Bloom, gesturing over to a drainage trench along the far side of the courtyard. “there is a big pipe at the end of that ditch, they ain't gonna be able to fit in there, but we can.”

With hope of escape, the three fillies ran with renewed speed, desperate to lose the much larger, and slightly faster gryphons. Apple Bloom made it through first. “Hurry up ya'll, they're gainin' on ya!”

Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo ran side by side, still more than a dozen yards from the ditch, Ned tailing them mere feet behind. Scootaloo leaped forward and furiously fluttered her wings, just as the pursuing gryphon swung with his large foreclaw. His strike missed the pegasus, but he made contact with Sweetie Belle's tail just enough to yank out a chunk of hair and sending her into a tumble. Scootaloo, quickly grabbed her fallen friend by the mane, and yanked her into the drainage pipe, just as Ned took another mighty swing, missing both of them by less than an inch.

“The went in that ditch there, Oscar,” Ned said, sticking his head onto the pipe, but unable to proceed. “Look for the exit, maybe we can get them when the come out, or at least trap them at both ends.”

“Dang, that was close,” Apple Bloom said between exhausted breaths. “We better find a way out before they find a way in.” Her friends nodded in agreement, both still too winded to speak.

It quickly became dark as they proceeded deeper into the drain, and soon they were traveling completely blind, and knee-deep in water. After several minutes, Apple Bloom could feel a fork in the path where two pipes met. “Scootaloo, grab my tail with your teeth, and Sweetie Belle, you grab hers. We need to make sure we stay that way so we can stay together, it wouldn't do us no good to somehow get separated. There is a split here, we should take the left path, I think that's the direction of the cart we were on.”

They did as Apple Bloom asked, traveling that way for a short while when the earth filly lost her footing due to the pipe suddenly dropping into a steep descent. Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle tried to hold on, but couldn’t get traction on the slimy floor, and instead were dragged along and into a fast slide down the pipe. The Crusaders slid together, tumbling trough the pipe, knocking into each other and scraping along the rough concrete interior of the drain. Without warning, the pipe came to an end, opening up to another drainage ditch, only this time the pipe was several feet above the ground, and with a splash they landed in pile on the ground.

“Ow, that hurt,” said Scootaloo. “Everypony okay?

“I'm a little busted up, but I'm okay, How about you Sweetie Belle?”

“I think I'm alright. Where are we?”

Scootaloo looked around for a moment, hoping to see something she recognized. They were near a large building, and Scootaloo was about to suggest they see if they could find an entrance, when she saw the two gryphons come around the corner from beyond the building. “Quick, hide,” she said. “It's the gryphons.” The three of them jumped into some nearby bushes, and huddled together, trying to stay still so not to shake the leaves.

The gryphons searched the area for several minutes, covering the area in a regular pattern. The fillies were growing more frightened as the gryphons bared down on their position.

“They have to be here somewhere,” Oscar mumbled, and began sniffing the ground.

Oscar snorted when he noticed the drain. “Hey there is another ditch over here, the are probably clo-” The quickly raised up on his hind legs, “crap, there is someone coming.”

The fillies followed the gryphon's gaze, and saw the cart that they had stowed away on earlier rolling down the path, pulled by Radish Runner. The gryphons ducked back behind the building to hide, and the Crusaders silently agreed that now was the time to escape. As the wagon passes, they emerged from the bushes as silently as they could muster, they placed their bags on the wagon first, then each jumped up. Sweetie Belle again needed help to clear the needed height, but soon all three boarded the wagon and slipped under the tarp, just before the wagon passed the edge of the building, and into the sight of the watching gryphons.

“Holy, Celestia, that was close,” Sweetie Belle said.

“You're telling me,” Scootaloo replied.

o:O:o

Anypony who looked upon the bizarre contraption that stood in the clearing next to the clubhouse would have likely described it along the lines of 'hideous,' but for the three fillies who looked upon it at that moment, it was a thing of beauty. They spent the better part of a week constructing the ungainly machine, and what stood before them was a lopsided mass of wires and cables, held together with an unstable-looking copper frame. There was a control panel consisting of numerous knobs and dials, with two clocks mounted into the wooden face, and a slot-machine style lever mounted on the side. Three folding chairs were nailed to the plywood base, facing the control panel, and a large engine made up of a gas generator and various mismatched parts was mounted to the rear. On the side of the engine was the 'flex compactor,' as the Crusades called it, flashing with brilliant multicolored light, a funnel jutting from the top to facilitate the insertion of radioactive fuel.

“I think it's done, y'all,” Apple Bloom said, and pulled her friends into a tight hug.

“Do you really think that it's gonna work?”

“Of course it will, Sweetie Belle,” Scootaloo said, “what could possibly go wrong?”

"Y'all think we should give it a name? We can't go around just calling it the time machine all the time."

"It has to be something awesome," said Scootaloo. "How about Time Thrasher Two-Thousand?"

"We ain't trying to thrash time, just explore it and stuff. What do y'all think of the Timeinator?"

"That's um... good, Apple Bloom, but I was thinking something more like the Epoch."

"What the hay is an Epoch?" Apple Bloom asked.

"It means an important event thats starts a new period of history, or the time period named after that sort of event."

"Sweetie Belle, you really should have been born a dictionary instead of a pony," Scootaloo remarked.

"Well I think it's a dang fine name. It's settled then, the Epoch it is," Apple Bloom said. “So where do y'all wanna go, or I guess I should say when do y'all wanna go?”

“Let's go see the dinosaurs!” said Scootaloo.

“A billion years in the the future!” Sweetie Belle said.

“How 'bout something not so far. We can find ourselves as grown ups, and find out how we get our cutie marks,” Apple Bloom suggested.

“That's a great idea,” Scootaloo replied, “let's do it.”

The three fillies bounded into the Epoch, and Apple Bloom commenced fiddling with the dials for a moment, setting their trip to twenty-five years in the future. “Everypony ready?”

They looked at each other for a moment, all of their hearts pounding, before crying out at once.

“CUTIE MARK CRUSADERS TIME TRAVELERS! YAY!”

Apple Bloom pulled the lever, and the machine began to vibrate, shaking more and more as the moments passed, until the fillies felt like they were caught in a powerful earthquake. In an instant, a blinding light filled their vision, and they were violently thrown out of the time machine, landing in the grass several feet away. They slowly got to their hooves, and took a look around them.

Scootaloo was the first to speak. “Did it work?”

“I think it did,” Apple Bloom said, sounding a bit shocked. The other two turned to see where Apple Bloom was staring, and what they saw confirmed that they had indeed been taken somewhere. The clubhouse was there, but in a state of woeful disrepair, and in the distance they could see the sprawling apple farm, though it seemed to stretch out a bit farther now.

The three of them explored the farm, noticing various differences here and there, though it was still comfortably familiar. When in the orchard to the east of the barn, Sweetie Belle stopped as she glanced to the left, and pointed a hoof. “Apple Bloom, look!”

The earth filly turned to where her unicorn friend was pointing, and saw a collection of flower bouquets in various states of freshness, and a small memorial message carved into the trunk of a fallen golden delicious tree.

"Looks like we definitely made it to the future,” Apple Bloom said, her voice shaking.

TO BE CONTINUED IN EPISODE TWO
REVELATIONS AND PREPARATIONS

Thank you for reading, and I hope that you enjoyed this first episode of Chrono Crusaders.

Special Thanks to BraveHeartBrony for naming the Crusaders' time machine.

Note On Dating System - When Luna and Celestia defeated Discord, and took control of Equestria will be considered year 1. Any years prior to that date will be noted as 'BE' (Before Equestria) and counted in reverse, like BC is counted in our calender - Luna's Rebellion, and imprisonment on the moon will have taken place in June 612, and her release in June 1612 - Discord's defeat by the Elements of Harmony will have taken place September of 1613 - Princess Cadence’s wedding will have taken place March of 1614 - The Time Machine was built by The Crusaders in July of 1614.

These dates are pretty arbitrary, but I needed something, so that is what I came up with.

All logos and images by me, using screen shots from the show, fonts from DaFont, and images found on Google. Images created using Photofiltre.