• Published 22nd Aug 2015
  • 4,949 Views, 178 Comments

Double Sun Daze - Albi



Meet Sunset Shimmer... now meet Sunset and Shimmer. They don't play well together.

  • ...
14
 178
 4,949

Like A Sack of Dumb Puppies

“Concentrate, Sunset.” There it was again. That heavenly voice tempered with a thousand years of patience and wisdom.

I hated that voice with a burning passion. Not quite as hot as the sun itself because I hate irony, but still pretty hot.

“I’m trying,” I managed to say between gritted teeth. I kept my eyes closed, mostly to keep Celestia out of my view. My horn glowed in teal majesty, with a similar glow surrounding the potted plant just in front of me. Currently, it was nothing more than a sprout, but by the time I was through with it, it would be a beanstalk!

At least, that was the plan.

Something was wrong. I shouldn’t have been having trouble with something so easy. Accelerated growth was foal’s play. But my magic seemed… distant. Pushing it to its limit only seemed to give me a headache, which in turn made me even more frustrated, which made me pour even more magic into the spell, which made my head hurt…

Some might see this as a bad cycle. But I believe in, if at first you don’t succeed, try hitting it harder. That applies to magic as well.

“You can do this, Sunset, just focus your energy.”

Mind your business, you overbearing hag! It was a true fortune that I was gritting my teeth so hard, otherwise, I would have vocalized those thoughts. Of course I was focusing! What, did she think I was imitating somepony passing a kidney stone for fun?

I pushed my magic as far as it could go, but it still felt like it was only halfway to its…

Halfway.

“Celestia-dammit!” The pot exploded, sending shards of pottery and dirt flying all over the room. A dirt clod hit me right in the cheek and slid onto the floor. Contained in it was the sprout.

If it was any consolation, I had made it grow about… half an inch.

I looked up at Celestia, covered in dirt and small pieces of the brown pot. She sighed, an action that still managed to carry eternal grace and patience. What would it take to break her?

My eyes darted over to the window curtains. She probably wouldn’t act so graceful if she was suffocating.

The thought was driven from my mind when she used her magic to push the debris to the side of the room. She then looked at me, her loving eyes filled with motherly concern.

I wanted to gouge them out.

I’m extra violent today.

“Is something the matter, Sunset? That’s an intermediate level spell; you normally have no trouble with those.”

Her flowing mane, her long legs, her elegant wings, her spiraled horn. Princess Celestia was the picture of perfection. All of it was only complimented by her grace, wisdom, sincerity, and love. On a normal day, whenever I was mad at her, I felt bad about it shortly afterwards. She was the mother I had never known.

Now, without that wretched thing that called herself Shimmer, I only felt loathing and disdain. And I liked it.

Still, she was the Princess and my mentor. I had to mind her, otherwise I’d lose my standing. So, I swallowed my vulgarities and tried to smile at her. “No, Princess, I just… didn’t get much sleep last night.”

She smiled. “Another long night of studying?”

Oh, you have no idea. And if I have it my way, you never will. “You know me too well, Princess.”

Her smile never wavered as she stepped closer and draped a wing around me. I locked up at the physical contact, and had to forcefully restrain myself from sitting her on fire. In hindsight she’s probably flame retardant anyway.

“Sunset, you know I love your dedication to your studies—”

My eyes bulged and my ears begged me to rip them off. Dear moon above, here it comes again!

“—but you must understand there’s more to life than books and spells. Why not go out and spend some time in the city? Or, perhaps you could set up a tutoring service for your fellow peers? That way, you can keep to your studies and possibly make some new friends.”

This time, I couldn’t fight the annoyed growl rising in my throat. It escaped and practically sang its freedom. I knew there was no sense in playing it off, so I followed through and met Celestia’s concerned face with a deadpan glare.

“I don’t want to.” Short, simple, to the point.

“Why ever not, Sunset?”

Apparently, she isn’t as good at reading ponies as I thought. What, did my death glare not give a clear enough message that I hate anyone who isn’t me?

… Actually, that’s not even true anymore. I hate Shimmer… and she’s technically me. Barely. The point still stands though!

“Why should I waste my time helping others because they’re too dumb to understand basic lessons?” Out of all the responses in my head, that was the least malicious.

To my satisfaction, it broke the calm mask Celestia wore so tightly. I bit the inside of me cheek to stop myself from grinning as her eyes narrowed and her mouth formed a thin line.

“Sunset, I’m growing concerned with this arrogant attitude you’ve been displaying as of late. Not everypony is as gifted at magic as you.”

“I’m not seeing how that’s my problem. I appreciate the compliment though.” I liked this game.

Celestia withdrew her wing, to my immense satisfaction. “Sunset Shimmer, it’s time we had a talk about your behavior.”

Ooooh, she was using her ‘angry’ voice. It wasn’t really angry, it was more of ‘I’m so disappointed in you’. A day ago, I might have wilted under it, but again, I was just trying to keep myself from bursting out in laughter. Seeing Celestia’s look of displeasure sent a shiver of delight down my spine.

“What has gotten into lately, Sunset? This is not how I expect my personal student to act. Yes, your gift at magic is great, but you need to show more humility with your abilities.” Celestia took a pause and sighed. “I understand your desire for solitude, but I implore you to go out and make a few friends. Perhaps it would curb this sudden bout of rude behavior.”

Oh, the things I could have said in response. But I had probably poked the dragon enough today. Besides, I had more pressing matters I needed to attend to. That damnable replica had half of my magic! I needed to get it back before Celestia learned that a lack of sleep was not the reason my abilities were hindered.

So, I gave her a sad smile and nodded my head instead of launching into a tirade about how she needed to stop treating me like a foal and give me what I clearly deserved! “I’m sorry, Princess. Looking back, that was very rude of me. I guess it’s the lack of sleep. And maybe you’re right, maybe getting out of the castle would be good for me.”

Celestia gave me a critical eye. I wore my false sincerity quite well if I do say so myself. She finally relented and released some of the tension in her shoulders. “Well… why don’t you run along and take a nap. Afterwards, I insist you go out and spend some time with Cadence.”

I blanched. “What?”

“Sunset, you’ve been avoiding her ever since she came to the castle. It’s high time you acknowledged the fact that she’s going to be in your life for quite some time.” She sighed again. “I’m sorry I sprung her on you out of the blue, but she isn’t taking away anything you’re working for. Just go spend some time with her, get to know her.”

Once again, I failed to hide my grumble of displeasure. I could easily fake going down to the city and spending time with the commoners. But spending time with Cadence? Celestia was playing dirty now.

“Please, Sunset. For me.”

Ha! That wasn’t going to work. I took the bait, however, just to get out of this situation and get back to my room. I’d figure a way to weasel out of it later.

“Okay, Princess.” I stood to leave before she could ask me to donate a kidney or help feed the homeless. She didn’t say anything as I walked through the door, but I could feel her eyes on the back of my neck. If she knew I was lying, she didn’t say anything.

I carried myself down the halls, feeling an emptiness in my stomach. Perhaps some food would have been good for me. I shook my head. Translating magic first, food second.

Yes, I had my priorities straight, thank you very much!

Of course, I began to doubt whether or not I could pull off the reverse spell that would bring me and Shimmer back together with only half of my total magic. The diffusion spell had put me beyond my absolute limit. Likely, we would both have to cast the spell.

Down the last corridor to my room, the guard on duty gave a little wave and said, “Hello, Miss Sunset, how was your lesson?”

I stopped and turned my head, arching an eyebrow. “Excuse me, who gave you permission to speak?”

His conversational smile melted off his face. “W-well, technically speaking, no one, ma’am. But you—”

“But nothing!” I snapped. “Just stand there like the good wall decoration you are and keep quiet. Celestia doesn’t pay you to gab.”

He sighed, looking dejected and pitiful. “Yes, ma’am.”

Oh, how I loved to kick ponies into the dirt. It helps that I can’t remember his name. Polish Shield? Shine Sword? Eh, who cares?

I entered my room and shut the door behind me. “All right, Shimmer, here’s…”

The room was empty.

I sprinted over and stuck my head under the bed, then checked the closet, and was even desperate enough to look under the rug. Of course she wasn’t under the rug! I was just that desperate!

I stood in the middle of the room, eye twitching in fury. “I’m going to drown her,” I said softly. “I’m going to drown her like a sack of dumb puppies.”

Yes, I’m not above doing that!

It was actually a soothing thought, listening to them gurgle in the bag while they feebly struggled—my maniacal laughter just barely covering their last whines.

Yesterday, I might have sought professional help. Today, I was enjoying these morbid thoughts.

Two voices floated through my door, and I pressed myself against the wood to see who it was.

“Hi, Saber Shine!” a disgustingly chipper voice sang. So that’s his name. Like a good guard, he didn’t respond. “What’s the matter?”

“Ahem, you uh… told me not to speak, remember?”

“I… oh… uhhhh… I’m sorry, Saber, I was just hungry. You know how grouchy I am when I’m hungry.” The stupid clone gave an unconvincing laugh. “But, I just teleported to the kitchen and got some food, so I’m all good now!”

“Well, I’m happy to hear that, ma’am.”

“Just call me Sunset. Or Shimmer. Or Sunset Shimmer. But none of that ma’am, or, milady thing. I want us to be friends.”

“Heh, if you say so, ma—ahem, Sunset.”

“There you go!”

My mind continued to conjure up ways to kill her. Drowning was too good. So was anything that would be quick. Unfortunately, that took out the iron maiden as well.

The doorknob turned, and I quickly hid behind the frame to keep out of view. Shimmer walked in, and I slammed the door behind her.

“You had one, simple, job,” I hissed between my teeth. “Stay. Here. And you couldn’t even do that right.”

She flinched and turned around. “Umm… well…” She held out a muffin. “Hungry?”

I lunged at her.

Author's Note:

So, on a scale of one to Vesper Radiance, how evil do you think this Sunset is?