• Published 22nd Aug 2015
  • 4,939 Views, 178 Comments

Double Sun Daze - Albi



Meet Sunset Shimmer... now meet Sunset and Shimmer. They don't play well together.

  • ...
14
 178
 4,939

Woohoo, I Win!

If I got any consolation out of this beating, it was that Sunset felt it too. Yes, it was a tiny consolation, but I take what I can get. I’m an optimist; sue me.

Wham!

“Ow!”

“Ow!”

Wham!

“Ow!”

“Ow!”

Wham!

“Owwwwiieeee! Are you done hitting me yet?”

“Are you done being stupid?”

“I’m not gonna answer that; it’s a trick question!”

Sunset put her hoof down and grunted. “Good answer.” She sat down and nursed her own shoulder, trying to keep a straight face, but I could see the pain in her eyes. The big meanie deserved it.

No she didn’t, that’s mean to think about.

No wait, she did. She hit me!

I sat up and rubbed my bruised shoulder. It wasn’t too bad, but it would be sore in the morning. Well, after that little experience, I felt I deserved the muffin I had tried to offer Sunset. It sat forgotten on the carpet, miraculously undamaged from the scuffle. Just as I reached for it with my magic, Sunset snatched it up and took a large bite out of it, giving me the evil eye all the while.

I scrunched my face momentarily before taking a calm breath. She could have the muffin. I just had a lovely breakfast with Cadence, and the muffin was supposed to be a peace offering. Judging by the look in her eyes, however, I could only see the sparks of war.

A mad, blood filled war with foals screaming for parents that would never come… endless agony and despair while fire rained from the heavens…

She blinked, setting me free from her hypnotic trance. Separated or whole, we had some issues to work out.

I smiled politely at her. “Soooo, how was your lesson?”

Sunset set the muffin on the dresser and gave me her hateful war mongering eyes. “You have half my magic. I want it back,” she said in a low, even voice.

“That doesn’t answer my question.” I flinched when she stormed up to me, growling like a junkyard dog.

“It was fan-freaking-tastic! I juggled tap dancing cats while solving Star Swirl’s Time Paradox, then Celestia and I had a big heart-to-heart and cried into each other’s shoulders!”

“Really? That sounds—”

The second she drew her hoof back was the second I realized she was being sarcastic.

Wham!

“Ooooowwww!” both of us hollered.

“Miss… Sunset, are you okay?” Saber Shine asked.

Sunset opened her mouth, most likely to verbally assault him, but I wasn’t about to let her ruin my new friendship. I shoved my hoof into her mouth, ignoring the teeth biting into my skin. “Yep, I’m fine! I just… dropped a book on my hoofiiieeeee!” Sunset’s teeth dug deeper, almost drawing blood.

“Are you sure you’re okay?”

“Never better! I appreciate your concern—ah, ah! You’re a great poniiieee—stop that!”

“Sunset?”

“Talking to a bird! Go back to your post! I’m peachy keen!” There was a moment’s hesitation before I heard his hoofsteps retreat from the door. I pulled my hoof free from the vicious cavern that was Sunset’s mouth, appalled by the amount of saliva on it. A fine imprint of her teeth decorated my ankle.

Examining her, I found she had none of the marks or bruises I had, but was still clutching her hoof close to her chest. All the while, that vitriol glare never left her face.

“Never. Do. That. Again.”

“Only if you promise to be nice to other ponies,” I said, stubbornly.

Her horn took on a teal glow, and charged electricity danced around the tip. My air of confidence blew away faster than the north wind, and I huddled against the carpet, bracing myself for divine retribution.

“Listen, you saccharine, cheap knock off, in case you haven’t noticed, I don’t do nice. I hate everyone. Unless your name is Celestia, I’m not going to even try to hide my disdain for you. The faster you understand that, the less of a beating I’ll deal you, understand?”

“But you get hurt too!”

“I’ll tolerate it!” Her horn powered down, and she let out a tired grunt. “But, if all goes well, I’ll only have to deal with you for a day at most.” She trotted over to the bed and picked up the spell book.

My ears folded against my head. If we merged back together, what would happen to me? We’re the same pony, but this is the first time I’ve felt so… aware, so independent, so like Sunset Shimmer since I was a foal. It’s hard to explain. But if we became one again, I knew Sunset would be the dominant one. I’d be reduced to the angel on her shoulder that she ignores.

“All right,” she said, “Hopefully this is the reverse spell. It’s going to take me a while to translate it, but once I’m finished, I’m going to need you to help me.” She narrowed her eyes. “That’s not a request by the way, you’re going to help me whether you want to or not.”

I rested my chin against the carpet. “Okay,” I said dejectedly.

“Good replica.” She was about to get comfy on the bed when a hoof rapt gently against the door.

“Sunset, it’s Cadence. Did you still want to go shopping?”

If looks could kill, I’d be dead. No, I’d be deader than dead. Is there a word for that? Super dead? Mega dead? I’ll come back to that. The point is, Sunset’s death glare showed me all the horrible things waiting for me in Tartarus. I didn’t know I could be so intimidating.

Well, no, I did. I guess you just don’t know how intimidating you are until you intimidate yourself.

“You didn’t,” she hissed.

“I did,” I whispered with a sheepish grin.

“You’re dead.”

“I know.”

“Sunset?” Cadence asked with another knock.

“Just a second,” I squeaked.

Sunset marched across the room, gnashing her teeth. Her horn lit up, and tossed me into the far corner where I landed on my back.

I don’t know what it was, but in that moment, I knew I couldn’t let Sunset talk to Cadence. What would ensue would be worse than the flailing she would have given Saber Shine. I finally had two friends, and even if Sunset and I did have to join together again, I wanted to keep them as long as possible.

I don’t like violence, but in that moment, I wasn’t above it.

Before Sunset reached the door handle, I lifted her in my magic and dragged her to the back of the room. I jumped over her and ran for the door. Her own magic locked my legs in place, and she kicked me in the side as she passed me. I undid her binding charm and tackled her. It was so weird. I was on top of her, but then, it felt like somepony was on top of me. I would have laughed if Sunset wasn’t trying to strangle me.

“What the hell do you think you’re doing?” she asked, her whisper lethal.

“Making sure you don’t hurt Cadence in any way!”

“What part of ‘I hate everyone’ did you not get?”

“That’s why you can’t talk to her! I like her!”

“You’re dead to me!”

“I can live with that!”

… Why did I make a joke? It only got me a punch to the nose. Thankfully, it didn’t draw blood.

“Sunset, is everything all right in there?”

“Yep!” I said as chipper as possible. “Just, erk, cleaning up a little!” Sunset kicked me off and rolled to her hooves. She fired a bolt of magic that just missed me and hit the carpet, setting it on fire. I quickly stamped it out while reflecting another attack. It reversed and hit Sunset in the chest. Both of us doubled over and wheezed, but I recovered first.

I grabbed Sunset in my magic and flung her into the closet, locking the door behind her.

Woohoo, I win!

She pounded the door once, then fell silent. Even then, I could feel the waves of hatred radiating from the tiny room. It’s a good thing we didn’t share any sort of mind link. I could only imagine the vulgar expletives being thrown at me.

I straightened my mane and opened the door, finding Cadence with a very concerned look. “Are you okay? I thought I heard noises.” She got a better look at me, and her pupils dilated. “Sunset, what happened to you?”

“Oh this?” I waved a hoof and laughed. “It’s no big deal, really.”

“You’re covered in bruises! And is that a bite mark?”

“Yes… I bit myself.”

“Why?”

“I do that when I’m studying.”

Cadence formed her mouth into a thin line. “Do you also beat yourself up?”

I was starting to sweat now. Lying used to be so easy. Kinda wish I was good at it right now. “No. That was… A bird.”

Cadence raised an eyebrow. “A bird?”

“Yes. I summoned a bird.”

“You summoned a bird?”

“It was a big bird!”

“You summoned a big bird that punched you?”

“It was not happy to be summoned.”

Cadence stared me down for what felt like forever. Even Saber Shine was giving me a skeptical look from down the hall. I had to hand it to Cadence, for only being here for a short while, she was getting pretty close to Princess Celestia in harnessing the power of the ‘I-know-you’re-lying-but-I’m-waiting-for-you-to-tell-the-truth-on-your-own-because-I-believe-you’re-a-good-pony’ look.

“Sunset—”

“So, about that shopping!”

Cadence hung her head. “Are you sure you don’t need to go to the infirmary?”

I waved a hoof again, regretting it was the one Sunset had bit. “I’ll be fine! Can’t even feel it!”

Cadence raised a hoof in hesitation, like she thought I would bite her. I smiled reassuringly at her, and she gingerly rested it on my shoulder. There was still a look of protest in her eye, but she said, “Let’s at least get you a little cleaned up so ponies won’t think someone mugged you.”

I nodded. “That sounds nice.”

She led the way down the corridor. “Spa and shopping it is! I can’t wait until you meet the family I sit for. Shining and Twilight are the best! I hope you don’t mind I invited them.”

“Oh no, the more the merrier! I can’t wait to meet new ponies!” I said that both in honesty and to scorn Sunset. Guess I could be a little vindictive if I still wanted to be. It left an unpleasant feeling in my tummy though.

“Have a good afternoon, ladies,” Saber Shine said with a bow.

“Thank you, Saber!” He’s so nice. So was Cadence. Everyone in the castle was really nice. So why did I come out so mean?

Well, I decided to enjoy this day of being not mean and having friends! It was probably going to be the only one I got!