• Published 23rd Feb 2016
  • 6,075 Views, 2,472 Comments

Crystal's Hopes - Crystal Wishes



Crystal Wishes finally found her happily ever after, but she never thought about what came next. The life of a military wife is not as easy as she hoped it would be.

  • ...
26
 2,472
 6,075

PreviousChapters Next
You're Not Alone

As the fog of sleep lifted, Crystal realized her side hurt. When she tried to lift her head to look at the offending ache, however, the world spun and the throbbing in her brain became evident. A groan rumbled in her dry, scratchy throat and she struggled to get her hoof aligned with her forehead to rub it.

Flashes of the night's events filled the dark space behind her eyelids. Velvet ordering shots after shots, Golden dancing on a table for bits, and Crystal—"Oh, sweet Celestia," she murmured with horrified realization.

Crystal had been the one who had been tossing bits at Golden's hooves in between downing the little glasses of burning alcohol. Which was a literal adjective in one case, where the alcohol had actually been set on fire.

She wasn't sure if she was going to be sick or bust out laughing, so she reached out a hoof to push herself up from the floor only to discover there was nothing there. Her eyes snapped open and though she was in the apartment she shared with Winterspear, there was something wrong: she was on top of the bookshelf.

The yelp of surprise she gave was like a hammer to the skull, and Velvet's voice from down below seemed to feel the same.

"If you make that sound again," Velvet practically growled, "I will end you."

Crystal glanced down to see that Velvet was strewn half on the couch and half on the floor. Her head lolled to the side and her swollen, dark eyelids narrowed to a seething glare.

"I think we drank too much," Crystal whispered.

A chuckle came from the dining table. "You think so?"

With painstaking care, Crystal angled herself from atop the bookshelf to look over and spotted Winterspear sitting down, a mug of coffee held between her forehooves. She grinned and leaned back to nestle into her fuzzy blue robe.

"You three came in laughing like loons," Winterspear continued, pausing to sip from her mug. "Ate darn near everything in the house before declaring yourselves victorious. Scared Iridescence and me half to death when we heard Crystal fall on her first attempt up there." She gestured at Crystal's roost with one hoof.

Crystal groaned. She shifted and tried to reach a foreleg down to brace herself on a shelf, but her limbs felt heavy and unwieldy. So, instead, she dangled. "Wait, first attempt?" That explained how sore she was. "How many times did it take?"

"Three," Winterspear said in a tone that barely concealed her amusement.

Velvet snickered and groaned as her own noise vibrated her headache back to throbbing life. "Celestia's sake, Crystal, you're the worst drunk."

Crystal opened her mouth to snap a reply, but a muffled sound from behind the couch drew their attention away.

Winterspear cleared her throat. "Oh, and Golden is lodged behind the couch."

"Seriously?" Velvet was up on her hooves without so much as a groan or a stumble; surprise was a fairly good sobering agent. "Oh my gosh!"

Crystal looked over to see a plump golden rump wiggling in the air, two long legs kicking uselessly just a hoof's length off the ground.

"I'm stuck!" Golden called, her voice muffled by the furniture that trapped her against the wall.

Velvet snorted and sat down, her head tilted for a better view. "Yeah, you are."

There was a sound between an indignant huff and a petulant whine before Golden asked, "Are you going to help me?"

"I am helping." Velvet gave a wicked grin. "I'm supervising."

The dining chair squeaked against the floor as Winterspear stood up and walked over to the bookshelf. Her wings flapped to steady herself on two legs so she could grab Crystal around her middle, gingerly bringing her down to the floor. "There, now, while Velvet supervises Golden, we need to get some breakfast and coffee into you."

Crystal shook her head to clear the dizziness from how the room spun. She tested her hooves and found them to be unsuitable; they wobbled far too much to walk, so she plopped down right where she was. "Why?"

When Winterpsear didn't answer right away, Crystal's heart pounded through the haze of hangover. Silent.

"What happened?" Crystal asked, forcing herself to her hooves. Just as surprise and mischief worked for Velvet, the thought of Silent could pull Crystal out of anything. "Winter?"

She watched as Winterspear's wings tightened in to her sides before the mare turned to face her. "A letter arrived by courier this morning."

Crystal blinked a few rapid times. "A letter! That's good news, isn't it?"

"Is it?" Winterspear asked in a soft voice. "You tell me."

There was a long moment of relative silence that was otherwise filled with the sound of Golden's futile efforts to free herself. Crystal felt a chill seize her muscles when the slots clicked into place.

"Oh," she breathed. "No. I mean, yes! Yes, of course it's good news." Her gaze fell to the lone letter resting on the dining table. "It means that a part of him is still Silent Knight."

Winterspear strode forward and gripped the underside of Crystal's muzzle in one hoof. Their eyes met, determination boring into sudden uncertainty. "This is why I didn't want you to know. Listen to me, okay? When Dad came back from the war, he didn't just change on his own. He had to change because nopony could understand what he had done. What he lived through."

Crystal swallowed, unable to look away. "I—"

"All of him is Silent Knight," Winterspear continued in a voice that was somehow both stern and desperate. "You can't blame Dread Knight, because that means you're rejecting what Silent's doing over there to survive. You can't reject him. I don't want him to end up like Stratus—please."

The hoof gripping her started to tremble the longer Crystal didn't respond, so she raised one of her own to set over it and squeezed.

"I'm sorry, of course." Crystal offered a soft smile. "It's hard to imagine they're the same pony, but I'll try. It might take some time to adjust, but when he comes home, I'll be ready."

Winterspear's ears drooped and her gaze darted away. "When he comes home," she repeated, defeat seeping into her voice.

"Winter?" Crystal tilted her head to the side to try to make eye contact. "He will come home. He will. He has to."

"I know. I know he will. It's not that." Winterspear withdrew her hoof with a heavy sigh. "I just—it's going to sound so awful and petty, but I don't know how much longer I can wait."

Crystal's brow furrowed. "Wait?"

With the shy voice of a schoolfilly, Winterspear mumbled, "I'm ready to be married to Iridescence now. I want Silent to be there, but there's no telling how long this war is going to last. His letter to me didn't sound very hopeful." She ran a hoof over her face and groaned. "How long do I put my life on hold?"

On hold. Crystal bit her tongue; how long, indeed? Her head ached from all the thinking she was forcing through it, and she settled onto the nearby dining chair with a sigh. "Do you want my opinion?"

Winterspear just nodded, apprehension flashing across her expression.

"My friend, Horsey, was so eager to get married that she was terrified of a wedding. She found a perfect compromise: she got married in private at the courthouse and then later had the wedding." Crystal smiled up at Winterspear. "Get married to Iridescence. Silent wouldn't want you to wait. Then, when he gets back, we can have the wedding."

Velvet chimed in, "Besides, you two are basically married anyway." At some point, she had given in to help Golden—who was busy checking herself over for potential injury—and was now moving to sit beside Crystal. "As much as I hate him, I know Silent wouldn't want this for you."

Crystal winced and glanced over to see Velvet not looking back at her. Though they had been able to build a bridge with a night of alcohol and partying, the chasm still existed.

"You really think so?" Winterspear asked with a small but growing smile. "You wouldn't hate me for getting married without Silent here?"

"Absolutely not." Crystal returned the smile with twice the bright sincerity. "I could never hate you, and certainly not over chasing your happiness. I would, however, like to be at the courthouse with you."

Velvet shot up a hoof. "Me, too!"

From her spot on the couch, Golden sniffed loudly. "I see nopony is asking for my opinion on the matter."

Winterspear looked over at her with a grin that was lopsided with surprise. "I, uh, I'm sorry, I just—" She shrugged. "I didn't think this was the sort of thing a pony like you would care about." Her eyes went wide. "By that, I mean, a famous pony! A model! You know, insignificant lives of insignificant ponies?"

Waving a dismissive hoof, Golden tipped her nose into the air. "While I appreciate the adulation, I spent the night passed out behind your couch. The least I could do is offer my opinion on the matter." She folded her hooves neatly in her lap and looked across the room at them. "This war is an ugly and hideous thing. If you can manage to find something beautiful in the middle of it, then you should do everything you can to hold onto it." Her lips quirked into a smile. "Marry that mare, already."

The grin on Winterspear's muzzle blossomed into a full-blown smile. "Yeah." Her wings quivered and she started to trot for the bedroom. "Yeah, I will. I'll go, right now. I'm going to talk to her. Thanks, girls."

Velvet snickered while Crystal just smiled, then their attention shifted to the envelope sitting on the table. It illuminated in pink magic and levitated to Crystal's eye level, the letter slipping out from inside and unfolding in the air.

Celestial Wife Mine

We have arrived once more at Dreyri River and I am frightened. The core of my being insists that I turn north and fly away from this madness. We lost more ponies here than we did with the Harmony.

It was our greatest defeat. Our time to stand proudly against the aggressors and they swept us aside as if we were nothing. They used those awful weapons that they had before… well… they don't have them anymore. That well has gone dry.

I fear losing myself again. I can still hear the screams of the dying and feel the burning in my breast and shoulder. Our leaders call it the small victory in our defeat but I call it surrendering who I want to be. I'm not sure how much longer I can play this horrible role. I've grown sick of killing and yet I know I will kill many, many more.

Dread Knight. That was the horrible role—it had to be. Had she not known about the truth, perhaps she wouldn't have paid much mind to the idea of what killing actually meant, too relieved to receive word from him. But she did, and now the notion twisted her stomach into knots.

I'll kill them all though if that is what it takes to come home to you. That is what I swore before and what I will swear again. I will come home, Crystal. I don't know when but I will. I just hope that when I get to the other side of this river of blood you'll still know me and love me.

Her hooves trembled and she clasped them together to keep Velvet and Golden from noticing. All she could imagine was the stallion she loved with his white coat stained red. The after-action reports bubbled to the surface of her mind: confirmed kills, no prisoners.

Your presence is sorely missed. Your scent, warmth, and soft touch seem like the finest reward a pony could ever receive but not deserve for this business.

Tomorrow it is likely I will march to battle as I can't imagine we'll linger here long and allow the enemy to prepare. Think of me and look to the stars.

I won't say goodbye. I shall simply say see you on the other side.

Silent Knight

The feeling of bile crawling up the back of her throat was eased by his final words. Killing, death, blood—stars. Their love in the stars would always be there, bright and constant in the darkness. A smile started to cross her lips as peace settled in the storm of her mind.

He was still her husband, and she still loved him. It was the war that surrounded him in such horrible things, and while he had volunteered to go, he hadn't volunteered for this. This was not his choice. The only choice he had was to survive so he could come home, and that was what he would do.

And when he did, she would be waiting for him, hooves open wide. She would be ready to help wash the blood away.

"So, given that none of you have valets," Golden said into the silence, "which of you is going to prepare breakfast?"

Velvet snorted. "With that attitude? You."

Golden's ears perked upright. "I don't cook."

"Now's as good a time as any to st—"

They all jolted in surprise at a rapid knocking on the front door. "Crystal!" a familiar stallion's voice called. "Sorry to bother, but it's important!"

Velvet grinned, giving a small wiggle of her ears. "What's this? Crystal has a secret suitor?"

"Oh, please." Crystal flicked her tail in Velvet's direction as she walked across the room. "It's my agent." As she opened the door, the sudden light from outside felt like a blow to inside of her skull. In what she hoped was a voice that didn't bely the remembrance of a hangover, she greeted, "Sunset!"

Sunset Coffee looked no more or less disheveled than he usually did, but it seemed exaggerated as he ran a hoof through his mane. "You're going to be upset. Please don't be upset?"

Crystal blinked a few times. "Why don't you come in first?"

"Right, yes, that's proper, isn't it?" He brushed past her with a nervous hitch in his step. "Hello, hello." He nodded toward Velvet and Golden before whirling to face Crystal. "Reindom House wants a sequel."

"A sequel?" Crystal tilted her head.

"Yes." His lips pursed into a light frown. "A sequel to Desert Rose. They're offering to advance you five thousand bits if you agree."

With a small gasp of surprise, Crystal looked over at Velvet before returning her attention to Sunset. "That sounds wonderful! Why would I be upset?"

Sunset ducked his head. "Because they're very much set on the sequel centering on Fatinah finding love. It is, despite my urging otherwise, non-negotiable."

"Excuse me?" Crystal tried to keep herself from sounding as if she had just been slapped. "But—What! That defeats the entire purpose of the story!"

"I know. I know, and I tried to tell them that." Sunset sighed. "But they say it's what the market wants."

Crystal's ears flattened against her mane as she growled out, "Well, the market can shove it right up their—"

"Just write it," Velvet cut in, facing away from them. Her voice, however, told Crystal everything she needed to know what sort of face she was making. "It's what they want, like I told you from the beginning."

"No." Crystal stomped a hoof. "To Tartarus with the market and what they want! I am working on a different story, anyway."

Velvet glared over her shoulder, anger in her eyes. "Don't be a stubborn—"

Sunset cleared his throat. "Unfortunately, Crystal, Reindom has the power here. They will refuse anything except what they want. Desert Rose is hot, and they've set their mind to a sequel."

"But why does it have to be that kind of sequel?" Crystal shook her head, starting to pace back and forth. "I won't do it. Power or no, I can't write something I don't have an interest in."

"I know. And that's why I have a proposal." Sunset gestured at the couch, where Crystal reluctantly took a seat. "I've worked at Mares Monthly longer than any job I've had before. I don't normally stay at a place long because, well." He laughed, settling down on the couch beside her. "I just have so many ideas of things I want to do that I rarely sit still."

"But you like working with Crystal," Golden supplied, her brow arched.

Sunset looked over at her with a mix of surprise and amazement. "Yes! Exactly! How did you know?"

Golden rolled her eyes and leaned back like a petulant foal. "Because she has that unfortunate effect on me." A shadow of a smile crossed her lips before she smothered it.

"I see." Sunset chuckled and returned his attention to Crystal. "Well, the point is, I have an idea. I've had it for a while. I just don't have the resources to make it happen on my own."

Crystal tilted her head. "What is that?"

Sunset's eyes glossed over with a distant, wistful glaze. "My own publishing company. One that doesn't stoop to the dirty tactics I see in Reindom House and Mares Monthly, that isn't stuck under the hoof of Eminence like every other company in Manehattan. 'Pure Leaf Press', eh? Named for my Bouquet."

Warmth spread through Crystal's chest and she found herself giggling. "I can hardly ignore my favorite agent and his dream when he has presented it with such a romantic notion, now, can I?" She took his hoof in hers. "I presume by resources, you mean bits."

"And lots of it," Sunset muttered, his happy fugue fading away. "More than I know you can afford on your own. The equipment alone, plus advertising and, oh, the licensing fees!" His shoulders slumped. "It's why it's always just been a dream."

Golden huffed lightly, examining her hoof with a nonchalant expression. "I am not without financial means, you know."

"No," Crystal said, rising to her hooves. "I don't remember much of last night, but I do remember that part."

Golden's ear flicked. Tension rippled across her face. "And what is that?"

There was a long pause as Crystal swirled the words in her mind first, testing them out before she spoke them aloud. "You told Velvet and me about your struggle to find work without your father's influence."

Embarrassment turned the tips of those golden ears red. "That doesn't mean I'm destitute."

Crystal shook her head and started toward the door. "I have my own means, though I appreciate the offer." She flashed a smile at Sunset over her shoulder. "I promise that we'll make Pure Leaf Press a reality. Give me an hour, two at the most!"

"Oh, okay, we'll just entertain your agent in the meantime!" Velvet rolled her eyes, but waved a hoof nonetheless. "Have fun storming the bank!"

Crystal gave an inward sigh as she stepped outside. To herself, she muttered, "I don't think he'd like being called a bank."

She had to keep herself busy. Writing wasn't enough, and the Flower Foundation was too close to the war to be a distraction. She loved the work, of course, but this would be perfect. This would be something else entirely.

A publishing company. She couldn't help giggling at the thought. If she could make this work, then she and Sunset could realize the dreams of so many authors struggling to get their work into print.

It was a noble endeavor, but expensive, too. Without even knowing everything involved, she knew she would need help. Her hooves moved into a brisk trot to carry her faster with an excited gait.

The tall building that was her destination finally came into view as she rounded a corner: the headquarters of Jet Ventures. It had been a while since she had dropped by. The image of the battle-eager airships was still too fresh in her mind to consider visiting its birthplace before now.

"Hello, Mrs. Wishes," the receptionist chirped when Crystal walked through the front doors. "Who are you here to see? Mr. Ship is in his office, and Mr. Set is currently in a meeting."

Crystal bobbed her head in a polite greeting as she kept walking. "Mr. Ship, thank you."

The receptionist smiled. "You know the way! Have a great day!"

As Crystal moved, a pony would jump up to get a door for her, offer a cordial hello, or thank her for her Foundation work. Was this what being a celebrity felt like? She tried not to smile too much at the attention she received as she walked the gauntlet of desks until she reached Jet Ship's large, imposing office.

Her grandfather was behind his desk, poring over all sorts of documents. "Yes?" he asked without glancing up. "What is it?"

"Hi, Grandfather."

His ears perked and his head snapped up, orange eyes focused on her while a smile wrinkled their corners. "Crystal, what a surprise! So sorry. Come on in, sit down. What can I do for you, sweetheart?"

Crystal returned the smile as she settled down in the seat across from him. "I won't take up too much of your time, I hope." She folded her hooves in her lap and sat up with as much confidence as she could muster. "The Flower Foundation has been very successful. The charity drives continue to bring in more than we're currently spending."

Jet Ship nodded, mirroring her posture. So it was to be a power play. "Agreed. You should be able to afford a new location without even touching the reserve funds from my initial investment."

"Yes." She smoothed the hairs of her coat idly to look disinterested in the conversation. "So, on that note, I would like to discuss another venture."

His ears perked before folding back. "Another venture? Of what nature? Another charity?"

"No, Grandfather, not a charity. A pony I know is looking to start a publishing business. Obviously, as a writer, this is something that professionally interests me." She sucked in a breath, hesitating a beat too long and inwardly cursing herself for it. "I have my own funds to invest, particularly with how well the Desert Rose film has done, but I need more."

"More," Jet Ship repeated, moving his folded hooves to rest on his desk as he leaned in. "And how competent is this 'pony you know'? How much experience do they have? What is the market like for new publishing companies? Have you done any business analysis at all?"

Crystal's ear twitched despite her willing everything to remain stoic. "I trust this pony."

"Trust! You trust them? Oh, well, if I simply gave money to every pony I trusted, I would be bankrupt." He snorted and shook his head. "Come back to me with a proper proposal and I'll consider it."

"Why?" Crystal spat out before she could stop herself, froze, and then gave in entirely. "Grandfather, you're beyond rich! You would hardly notice the loss if this completely failed. Haven't I proven to you with the Foundation that I can do this?"

Jet Ship narrowed his eyes and set his jaw. "A war-focused charity during war is entirely different from a publishing company. The need for the charity was obvious. You have to be responsible with your investments, dear. You don't stay 'beyond rich' by tossing a few bits here and a few bits there until it's all gone."

"But—" Crystal tried not to sound as frustrated as she felt. "The risk to you is so little. I'll take on as much of the risk as I can and put all of my royalties toward it, and—"

"See? All of your royalties! What nonsense!" One hoof raised to rub his temple. "I'm sorry, but I need you to understand good business sense before you take over."

That stopped Crystal's mind in its tracks. "Take over?"

There was a long pause before Jet Ship released a heavy sigh and settled back into his seat, looking suddenly tired. "I'm not a young stallion anymore, Crystal. I'm not as sharp as I once was. Running Jet Ventures requires more than I've got to give these days."

He looked up at her with a sad smile. "This has been a family business since it started, and you're the sole heiress. Unfortunately, it will fall on your shoulders soon. Your father was groomed for it starting when he was a foal before he walked away from the responsibility. I don't have as much time with you."

Crystal's mouth flapped open and closed a few times as she sputtered through attempted responses. What could she say? What should she say?

"Don't be ridiculous," her father's voice came from behind her, and the both of them jolted before looking at him. "She's not a Jet." A crooked smile was on Jet Set's muzzle.

Jet Ship's expression darkened. "She's the only option I have."

Raising a hoof to his chest, Jet Set gave a look of mock offense. "I can't believe you wouldn't even ask me first."

The dark shadows in Jet Ship's face faded with surprise. "You mean—"

"Of course." Jet Set cocked his head. "I assumed that was a given when I came back to work here."

Jet Ship rose to his hooves and walked around the desk to approach his son. "I assumed it was still off the table," he murmured as if speaking to a dream. "You'll really take it over?"

"Of course," Jet Set repeated, bowing his head. "It would be my pleasure."

With a deep laugh, Jet Ship hooked a foreleg around his son's neck and pulled him in for a half-embrace. "Splendid! Then all of this was for naught!" He looked at Crystal with a broad grin. "Dear, of course you can have this little publishing company of yours."

Crystal sputtered again. "I—Really? Just like that?"

He nodded with enthusiasm. "What use is having all these bits if I can't spend them on my only granddaughter?"

Crystal's gaze flickered between him and her father, who simply winked at her. Hope started to flutter in her chest. "Does this mean I don't have to fill out anymore forms?"

"Of course!" Jet Ship chuckled. "I only wanted you to be conscious of every bit you spent. Now that Jet Ventures will be in your father's hooves, I have no agenda. You just tell me how much you need, and it's yours."

"I, um, thank you, Grandfather." Crystal felt a smile growing on her face. "I'll still use my own bits for as much of this as I can, because it wouldn't feel right if I didn't. But thank you."

Shrugging, Jet Ship returned his attention to Jet Set. "So, my boy, when will you be ready?"

"I hadn't really thought much about it, but..."

While the two of them carried on, Crystal sneaked out of the office—after taking a butterscotch from the dish on the desk, of course. It was a lot to take in: one moment she was burdened with the responsibility of a company she didn't want, and the next she had her grandfather's entire funds at her disposal.

Perhaps the sudden shift would feel right once she told Sunset and they could dive into planning the next steps. At the very least, sucking on the candy helped everything seem better. That and the knowledge she'd never have to fill out one of those ridiculously long forms again.

Author's Note:

And when your hope crashes down, shattering to the ground
You, you feel all alone
When you don't know which way to go
There's no signs leading you home
You're not alone


This story is a part of the Crystal's Tales series in the Quill & Blade universe.


PreviousChapters Next