• Published 11th Jul 2015
  • 1,298 Views, 12 Comments

She's Like The Wind - lupinepoet



Big Mac sneaks away to watch Princess Luna raise the moon.

  • ...
3
 12
 1,298

Her Highborn Kinsmen Came and Bore Her Away From Me

Author's Note:

Yes, more poetry in the title :twilightsmile: This time, the line is from Edgar Allen Poe's poem "Annabel Lee." If you like the poetry based titles, please let me know. I know they can be a bit long, but I hope they add to the emotions and the tension of the overall story.

As always, comments and criticism are always welcome. I want to make this tale the best I can, and that comes with your help and ideas. Stay tuned for the next chapter tentatively called "The Moon Never Beams Without Bringing Me Dreams," and as always, I bid you peace.

The castle door opened with a loud creak. Twilight Sparkle stood in the doorway. “Princess Luna! I'm so happy to see you!” Twilight moved towards the other princess.

“Shh!” With a wisp of night air, Luna slipped around Twilight and into the castle. The door glowed with Princess Luna's magic just long enough to close the door silently.

“Princess Luna? Is...is everything okay?”

“Yes,” Luna responded instinctually. “No.” The princess bowed her head. “We do not honestly know.”

Twilight fumbled for the right words to say. “I see.”

“Is there someplace we might talk?”

At this Twilight perked up. So Princess Luna does need help and advice. “Of course! Follow me.” Twilight led the way to her private library and study. Here, several cushions, chairs, and couches gathered near Twilight's worktable and close to the fireplace. “Have a seat anywhere, Princess.” Twilight fueled the fire and put on some tea to brew. Princess Luna allowed her cloak to dissipate before she sat down on a velvet-covered cushion. The princess of friendship moved a matching cushion across from Luna. “How can I help, Princess?”

Luna motioned for Twilight to sit. The younger mare obeyed. “Can we trust you to be discreet?”

“Of course you can!” Twilight perked up for a moment. Her face blushed. She slumped forward just a bit. “I'm sorry, Princess. It's just that I knew there was a problem when I saw your note...”

“It is not so much a problem, per se.” Luna chewed her lip for a moment. “We have a situation we do not know how to respond to. Tia would be all aloof and practical, and Cadance would misunderstand. Many ponies still do not trust us, and few would be able to keep their silence.” The tea kettle whistled. “We do not know where else to turn.” Twilight poured the hot tea into two cups. She offered one to Luna, who smiled her thanks and took a sip. “There is – well, there is a stallion we have come to care for.”

Twilight gasped. “Are you in love?” She placed a hoof in front of her muzzle and hid behind it briefly. “Sorry.”

“We – I do not think so.” Luna sat her tea on the work table and stood up. “I feel that I need to talk to him, but I do not know how.”

“What do you need to talk to him about?”

Luna paced slowly across the room. As she did so, she told Twilight about what Big Mac said to her earlier that evening. Then she explained Big Mac was forced to take on a role he felt unready for and unworthy of -- maybe even resented taking on. The princess of the night was careful not to mention Big Mac or Sweet Apple Acres by name. Instead, she referred to them as “a stallion” and “the family business.” When she finished her story, Princess Luna plopped back down on the cushion.

“Wow...” Twilight studied Princess Luna. “What do you want to say to this stallion?”

“I do not know. He does not want any pony knowing it, but he is lonely, sad, and scared. And he knows I hide the same shames.” For the first time since she arrived at the Castle of Friendship, Luna looked at Twilight Sparkle. “I do not want to feel alone. And I do not want him to feel alone.”

“Then you've come to the right place, Princess Luna!” Twilight perked up. “You just need some lessons in friendship!”

“Are you sure that is what we need?” Luna arched her brow.

“Of course. You need a friend, someone who sees you as more than a princess. He needs a friend to help him feel sure and secure. As the princess of friendship, I think I can help you make that happen!”

“If you are sure about this, Twilight...”
***
Princess Luna walked through the open field. She attempted a nonchalant canter, but her nervous eyes kept watch for Big Macintosh – and to make sure Twilight did not follow her in secret. It took nearly an hour of debate and a near Canterlot Voice to ensure Twilight stayed behind. We can do this, Luna told herself. All we have to do is say hello.

“Princess Luna?” a shocked voice caught her ear. She turned to her left in time to see Big Macintosh bowing low. “Sorry, Princess. Didn't expect t' see ya here.”

“Please, Big Macintosh. You have no need to bow before us.” Princess Luna felt her cheeks turn red. “We are honored to talk to you.” She bowed slightly.

Big Mac's eyes widened. “You are?” his normally strong voice was a near whisper.

“Of course. Your wisdom, your strength, your determination has not only kept Sweet Apple Acres doing as well as it ever has, but your confidence and your heart give you sister and her friends the power they need as the Elements of Harmony. You are indeed an impressive stallion.” Luna slowly closed her muzzle. Where had all of that come from? She was just going to say hello...and calling him impressive. What was she thinking? Not that he's not impressive...

“Uh, Princess Luna? Are you okay?” Big Mac took a cautious step towards her.

“We are fine why do you ask?” she replied rapidly. She pleaded with her cheeks, hoping they wouldn't turn any redder.

“Well, ya just stopped talkin' suddenly and ya look a bit flushed is all.”

Luna took two heartbeats to compose herself. “We – I apologize. I did not mean to worry you. I am just happy and surprised to meet you like this.”

Big Mac scratched his mane with a forehoof. “I'm a bit surprised m'self. Ya don't usually visit durin' the day, and when yer here, ya come through town, not alone in th' fields.”

“It is you I have come to see, Big Macintosh.”

The farm stallion gulped. “It is?”

“I wanted you to know I heard your message last night.”

“Ya – ya did?”

“Yes.” Princess Luna stepped bravely forward. “You are right. Many ponies still fear me, and many more see me as weaker and less important than Celestia or Twilight. Even Cadance has her kingdom and serves as the embodiment of love. To them, all I do is raise the moon and step into an occasional dream.” She sat in a patch of dry grass and motioned for Big Mac to join her.

The stallion sat slowly, careful to still keep some distance. “Eeyup.”

“What about you, Big Macintosh. What do ponies see when they see you?”

Big Macintosh plucked up a stray strand of hay and chewed it for a moment. “They see a simpleton. A pony only good fer farmin'. Granny's got her stories to share. Applejack's always off savin' Equestria. Even Applebloom and her friends'r off helpin' ponies. An' there's good ol' Big Mac, buckin' away at trees.”

“If it helps any, I never see you in that light, Big Macintosh.”

“An' I know yer more'n a moon raiser n' a dream fixer.”

A loud trot towards them stalled the conversation. They turned to see a pegasus from Princess Celestia's guard. She bowed. “I'm sorry to interrupt, Princess Luna, but Princess Celestia needs you back at Canterlot to help with a problem.”

“What problem does she need our help with? We have seen no problems.” Luna's hair bristled.

“I don't know, Princess. I was just told you need to come with me.”

“Our apologies, Big Macintosh. Duty calls.”

“'S'alright, Princess.” The stallion stood up so he could bow. “Thanks fer stoppin' by.”

“Perhaps when the harvest is over and this problem is solved, we can talk again?”

Big Mac grinned. “I'd like that, Princess.”

“Farewell, then.” With a flurry of wings, Luna and the Pegasus dashed off into the afternoon sunlight.
***
The moment Princess Luna arrived at Canterlot, she walked right into her sister's court. Ponies around her bowed and gave their greetings. Luna paid them no heed. “Sister, what is this problem you need our help with?”

Princess Celestia gave a gracious wave of her wings. “My apologies to all, but I must speak to my sister alone. Court will resume in one hour.”

With a shuffling of papers and confused mutterings, the guards, scribes, and courtiers left the room. When they were alone, Princess Celestia looked down at her sister from the dais. “Luna, love, I don't think you should see Big Macintosh any longer.”

Comments ( 2 )

This is good, look forward to more.

Love the story, and I cant wait for more chapters

Login or register to comment