• Published 30th Jun 2015
  • 367 Views, 1 Comments

Re-shelving Day - QueenCeles



Twilight and Spike stroll down memory lane while re-shelving Twilight's vast collection of books.

  • ...
2
 1
 367

000 - 009

Twilight lain in bed, wide awake and giddy with excitement. She glanced at the clock every other second.

4:58 AM

Groaning in frustration, she thought of ways she could speed up time to herself. Anything to make the wait for the morning to come just a little bit faster. She turned back to glance at the clock again.

4:59 AM

Twilight briefly considered sending a message to Princess Celestia politely asking her to start the day just a little bit early. The idea was quickly tossed aside as she considered the fact that, contrary to popular belief, Celestia was not a morning pony. Sighing, she turned back to the clock.

5:00 AM!

Almost immediately, Twilight jumped out of bed and started on her morning ritual.

Brush teeth: Check
Floss: Check
Shower: Check
Brush mane: Check
Toilet... uh... "business": Check

Now to go get Spike... who is still asleep.

"Spike... Spike... Spike, wake up!" she said while shaking Spike awake.

"Wha- Twilight? What time is it?"

"5:30 AM, so we're already behind schedule today," Twilight answered.

Spike stared for a few moments before he decided on his course of action.

"I'm going back to bed"

"But today is re-shelving day and we need to get started immediately!" Twilight told him in frustration.

"They're just books Twilight, they can wait a few more hours."

"I'm going to elect to ignore that comment, and not let it ruin this special day. Now get up!"

Spike just groaned.


It was another thirty minutes before Twilight and Spike arrived in the library section of the castle, ready for an exciting day of taking all the books off the shelf, cataloging them all, and then reorganizing them onto the shelves of the library. Twilight immediately got to work, casting a spell that levitated all the books at once, and placing them gently on the floor. They then moved into the piles of books and got started on the hard part.

It was a couple of hours until Twilight came across one book in particular: Honeycomb in Wonderland.

"Hey, Spike, look what I found!"

Spike stared at it for a few seconds in confusion.

"Uh, ok then Twilight. But, what about it?" he asked.

"You probably don't remember it since you were so young, but I used to read it to you before bed every night I could."

"Huh," Spike responded, "Did I like it?"

"Well, of course you did. I'm confident that me reading this book to you is why you love reading so much."

Spike grew nervous. He hadn't read an actual novel in a long time, preferring to read comics instead.

"Oh, of course. That's why I read so many books. Because I just love reading so much. Why, I'm reading a book right now. It's called uh, um, uh, um, uhhhhhh," Spike quickly looked around the room for anything he could use before settling on one book in particular, "....A Clockwork Orange?"

Twilight beamed. "Exactly!"

This new information processed in Twilight's brain for a full ten seconds, until she realized exactly what Spike had said.

"Wait, what?!"

"Nothinglet'sgetgoingonthebookssayTwilightwhatbookdidyourparentsreadtoyouasafoal?" Spike spat out as fast as he could.

"Well, I suppose if you think you can handle that kind of material, I won't stop you, but to answer your question, my Dad read Windy and the Chocolate Factory to me most nights. Occasionally, he would mix it up with some other books, but that's the one I remember the most."

"That sounds like something Pinkie would write," Spike joked.

"It honestly wouldn't surprise me if she did. That Wonka stallion is almost as out there as she is."

"Well, now I just have to read it to see what you mean."

"I'll let you borrow the copy we have here, but first we have to get done with re-shelving," Twilight answered him.

And with that, the two continued through the rest of the day, re-shelving books and occasionally striking up a conversation over whatever book they happened by next. Highlights would include Spike stumbling a book titled Foalcon, which Twilight quickly snatched from him and refused to answer any question about. Twilight discovering the first book series she ever read, A Series of Unfortunate Events, and immediately told Spike that he should read them after Chocolate Factory, despite the warnings of the author.


Finally, at 6:00 PM, they finished their long work day and could finally relax. All the books were properly cataloged and shelved into their proper places. At the final count, Twilight was in possession of nearly twenty thousand books, convincing Spike that the early start was worth it so he could at least have his evening. Spike checked out Windy and the Chocolate Factory, and as a reward, Twilight decided to go out to eat tonight. Spike took the book along to read while waiting for their food. Along the way, they ran into Pinkie Pie.

"Hey Twilight! Hey Spike! I see you've got the first book I ever wrote with you. I hope you like it, it's still my personal favorite out of the ones I've written. Anyway, gotta go!"

Pinkie sped off before either of them could get a word off. Twilight just stared with a blank look on her face that stayed for the rest of the night. As she crawled into bed, there was only one thought on her mind.

"But, how?"

On the other hand, Spike simply laughed at Twilight's confusion for basically the rest of the night, barely even paying attention to the book itself. As he crawled into bed, he had his own, sole thought on his mind.

"Called it."

Author's Note:

This was literally the first bit of creative writing I've done outside of school.

Comments ( 1 )

:pinkiehappy:

:twilightoops:

:moustache: called it

Login or register to comment