• Published 7th Jun 2015
  • 220 Views, 0 Comments

Legacy - Little Kaiser



Luna and Terra learns about their past, and the importance of good upbringing.

  • ...
 0
 220

The Only Chapter

The middle of springtime brought forth many joyous occasions for ponies all across Equestria. Lush floras that had previously been dead during the harsh and frosty winter, had had the time and sustenance it needed to revive itself. Flowers were now visible on the earth, the grasslands had become green and abundant once again and the trees donned healthy, green leaves anew. And if all that wasn't enough to attest to that fact, then the animals and insects roaming freely through the woods or open fields in the lukewarm flow of air should give that missing piece of the 'feeling' puzzle. Equestria was indeed waking up from a very deep and cold slumber.

Outside her cottage, Fluttershy watched some gigantic blooming tulips in a special flowerbed. Besides her, Angel was kicking some tiny stones on the ground, probably bored but not having anything else to do besides that. The pegasus had been cautiously tending to the spot during the whole wintertime, making sure that it wasn't too damaged in any way. As an extra security measure, she even heated, watered and fertilized that small patch of land during the wintertime so that it wasn't in any way spoilt. It may have seemed unnecessary, but Fluttershy had her reasons for doing so: she had been waiting all year to finally grow a rare breed of tulip. Granted, there wasn't much surprise in watching any ordinary flower bloom. The petals open up, and nothing else happens. But this one packed a surprise that no other flowers could give.

She watched as the huge flowers unfolded themselves, slowly revealing the stamens hidden inside the protective petals. 'Okay, I just need to prepare a steady breeze,' Fluttershy thought to herself. She readied her wings, and started to flap them, creating a soft breeze. In front of her was a large cube of white ice with a hole protruding right through the center, out to the other side. The stream of air passed through the tunnel, cooling down, and washed over the plants. She kept the steady breeze going until the petals suddenly stopped unfurling and became stiff, freezing altogether, creating makeshift flower cups. The colorful blades began to shrink and closed any gaps that existed.

"Yes! It worked!" Fluttershy said in moderate joyfulness, jumping over to the frozen plant-turned-container. Inside the frozen flower, the stamen became wrinkled. The gardener took a jug of liquid--most probably sugared water--and poured in into the cup. The tiny appendage dissolved into the fluid and turned it a strong tint of orange. She left the mixture to settle.

"I'll have a cup for myself," Fluttershy said. She plucked the flower she had filled and drank the beverage. "Do you want some Angel?" The bunny refused, stating his disinterest in whatever Fluttershy was doing. "Hmmm, this could be better, perhaps it needs some more... ummm... sugar."

She proceeded to adjust the concentration, then poured the mix into all of the flowers. "These tulip syrup will be great for today's picnic, don't you think so Angel?" The bunny, though protesting to the drink a moment earlier, had taken a cup for himself. As he finished his portion, he threw away the flower and shook his head, his visage painted with denial. His caretaker knew all too well that as brick-walled as he was, even he couldn't resist some tulip syrup. "I can't wait to share these with everypony else!" Tucking the colorful cups away inside a basket, she covered them with a cloth. "I better get to the rest of the brunch." The yellow mare trotted inside her cottage and closed the door.

The atmosphere returned to a silent calmness, as if the area was a still life. Save for the white ice block, which thawed slowly in the late morning sun. The temperature difference of the ice and the atmosphere surrounding it produced steam, which snaked it's way slowly into the air and was swiftly whisked away by the lazily moving air. Little by little, it thawed, its energy going to waste. It had served its purpose, so there was really nothing left to do but slowly melt away. And neither animals nor ponykind were offering it any help out of the situation.

A white unicorn (one could say albino for certain) approached the chunk. It looked sorrowly at the wasted amount of ice. "What a shame." The pony lifted the block of ice with it's magic, and in an instant, it vanished into thin air. "Maybe it shall serve a better purpose up in the North."

Satisfied with her action, she began scanning the area that was Fluttershy's cottage. "If only Canterlot was as natural as this..." the pony said as it sat down to nuzzle some hyacinth, relishing in the powerful fragrance that it emitted. "This is good. That pegasus has cared for them well."

"Her name is Fluttershy, possibly the best caretaker of these lands I have seen yet," a greyish dark blue pegasus said.

"Could we possibly meet this said pony, dear sister?" a dull azure-green pony said. She scratched her chin. They didn't exactly plan on meeting anypony: they only planned for a stroll around Ponyville. Having their covers blown would mean somepony would know who they were, and that would always ultimately end with them having to visit Princess Twilight: something she dreaded.

"Only if you promise to not rant about how you could coax the earth into becoming a mountain or make trees grow from a tiny seed in less than ten seconds."

"Oh, do not worry about me, I can handle myself," the green pony said.

"For the sake of my mind's integrity, I pray that you do," the indigo one replied, hesitant.

"I'm sure it'll be fine. I too must meet this pony," the white unicorn added in assurance.

"Alright, I'll see to it." The blue pegasus made her way towards the cottage door. She readied her hoof to knock when all of a sudden, she felt a prod on her right hind leg. Looking down, the sight revealed an unimpressed Angel, crossing his arms and tapping his foot, like a tiny bouncer.

"Pardon me, little creature. I must meet your mistress." Angel signaled something with his fore paws that translated to something like 'get off the crib, or I'll hurt you'.

"I'm not fazed, little creature." Luna lowered herself to face the critter muzzle to muzzle. Angel accepted the challenge, and returned the stare. She burrowed into the bunny's eye, boring deep into his being. "I'm only here to see your mistress." Angel felt all of his anger subside, and he became a compliant little bunny, even giving a sweet smile to the princess. He gestured her to the door. "Thank you, little cute one." She pecked his cheek, and the lapin fell over in lovely ecstasy, twitching erratically. "Maybe I overdid that," she mused, "No matter, he'll wake up soon enough."

The pegasus proceeded to knock on the door. The sound of scrambling and panicking could be heard, along with a momentary silence and the door opening after a few hoofsteps. "Who is it- Oh... hello. Ummm... can I... ummm... help you?"

"Good day, Miss. Pardon me, but I was just strolling by these parts, and my friends would like to meet you," the blue one said.

"Oh... ummm... your friends... wanted to meet me?" She nodded. Behind her, the two ponies approached.

"Young Miss," the white one said, "I would like to give you my compliments. I am impressed by how much care you have given to these lands."

Fluttershy blushed at the comment. "Oh... I... It's nothing, to be honest. I mean... I love to take care of the flora and fauna. It's my special talent, really," the yellow pegasus said timidly yet with a little hint of confidence.

"Talent for the earth, you say?" the green one blurted enthusiastically, her smile wide and somehow threatening.

Fluttershy hesitated to say the next words "Ummm... uhhh... yeah, sort of."

Without her permission, Fluttershy was lifted and flailed around, much like what one alicorn did with her during one certain Nightmare Night. "OH JOY THIS IS WONDERFUL A PONY WHO LOVES-"

The earth pony's outburst was cut short when her blue pegasus friend tore the poor, shy pegasus from the bonecrushing grip of her sister with her magic. "I told you to be discreet, Sister!" she scolded.

"You don't understand, Lulu. This is great news! Tia should elect her to be Minister of Environment-"

Luna stuffed her hoof into her sister's mouth. "Don't say that, or she'll know who we really are!" Luna voiced out, only to then realize what she had said. She had the urge to facehoof, but decided not to. Instead, she lowered her head with a sigh, and slowly turned to face a terrified yellow pegasus.

"Are you alright, Fluttershy?" Luna asked. Fluttershy was trying to calm herself down, breathing progressively slower and slower, until she gave a final sigh.

"I'm... I'm alright, Princess Luna. I... I didn't know it was you," she said.

"Yes, our apologies for being in our supposedly obscure, lesser form. Though I must say, you have seen me like this before," the sovereign pony replied.

"Oh, excuse me... I must've forgotten." Luna released her magical grip and lowered her to the ground.

"I apologize for my sister's outburst. She is very fond of ponies who love the Earth," Luna said.

"Oh, it's ok... I didn't know Celestia was that fond of the environment."

"Celestia? No no, this is not Celestia. This is-"

Luna was pushed aside by the earth pony mare. "I am Princess Terra, Regent of Equestria, eldest of the three sisters. Pleased to meet you, fellow odd-yet-still-appreciated earth-loving pegasus!" Terra said, her regard enthusiastic yet menacing.

"Oh my... I didn't know you had another sister, Princess Luna," Fluttershy said, surprised.

"She does! And I am most honored to meet a fellow pony who cares so much about the Earth. You did such a good job managing the grasses, and flowers, and trees and plants and that little stream running along this path and- oh I don't know, there're too many things to note!" Fluttershy backed away, taking the preemptive cautionary measure to avoid being turned into pulp by the amazingly strong earth pony as she approached with every point she stated.

"Gee... thank you for the compliments. I mean... it's not really a big thing."

"I demand that you come with me to Canterlot! There, we could do wonders in the gardens together! What say you?" the earth pony said out of nowhere.

"C-Come with you to Canterlot?" Fluttershy asked, receiving a optimistic, vigorous nod from Terra. "I'm flattered at your offer... but... ummm... I don't really want to leave this place-" the yellow pegasus said before Terra cut her, sounding offended at her refusal.

"What?! How is it possible for you to disobey a princess' order! I order you to-"

"Terra, enough! Leave Miss Fluttershy alone," the white unicorn ordered.

"But Mother! She-"

"I said enough!"

"Alright," Terra said, feeling despondent.

"Forgive us, Miss Fluttershy."

Fluttershy gaped. "You mean- Oh- my-"

The queen sighed. She had feared that being known in public at this moment was the worst of choices; a long lost figure who had practically been erased from modern history altogether was now present again, rendering general knowledge a bit off. "Yes, young pony, you may have understood the point." Fluttershy bowed down her deepest of bows. In the presence of such an ancient being, she had to. And although Galatea was used to it, she could do with casuality in this situation. "Rise, young mare. You do not need to be formal in these times. We are equal citizens."

Fluttershy rose up from her worship, avoiding eye contact with the monarch. "This meeting has been too much for you to comprehend. I believe an introduction is due. My name is Galatea, a mother of three daughters, two of whom are with me today," the queen said.

"Oh... I... see, ummm... my name is Fluttershy."

Galatea smiled. "Fluttershy. A very delicate and graceful name. It suits well with your very character," she said.

"Oh... well I think so, too." Not wanting to be rude in front of what was possibly her ancestor, she struggled to think of something in order to break their conversation; she had a picnic to prepare for. "Ummm... excuse me Your Majesty, but I have... urgent businesses that I need to tend to."

"By all means, please do. We do not wish to interrupt you any longer." Fluttershy bowed again in respect.

"Thank you, and ummm... have a good day, Your Majesty."

Galatea chuckled. "Alright, Miss Fluttershy, perhaps another time."

"And Fluttershy, we would appreciate it if you didn't tell Twilight Sparkle of our presence in these parts." Luna said. The pegasus nodded, and went back inside her cottage. Galatea stood there, looking at the door. Her gaze was reminiscent of times long gone.

"Such an adorable and polite young mare. A very caring one. Had either one of you been stallions," Galatea giggled, "I would have already wed you with her."

Luna coughed violently, having choked upon some imaginary dust. "Mother! I- why would you even suggest such a thing!" The queen turned her back on the lunar pony, apathetic.

"You have yet to learn about the values of a good offspring, Luna."

"Good... offspring?" Luna asked, puzzled at where her mother was going with the discussion all of the sudden.

"Yes, a good child, one that would soothe the eyes and hearts of their mother and father. One that would be a great bearer of their legacy. One that would change their world for the better," Galatea said, her voice stricken with sadness. Luna stood silent. Terra was completely detached from the situation and had opted to isolate herself and sulk, instead of paying attention to everypony else. "You do not know what life was like when I was just a filly. Compared to this, I daresay that I am in heaven."

The moon princess didn't know what to make of the situation. What was the queen hinting at? Some old regrets? Or was she telling her something important? "Mother, is something the matter?" Luna asked.

Galatea kept silent, not wanting to share any of her misery and spoil the mood for a good trot. She decided that it would be a story for another time. "No, I'm alright. Come now, let's continue," she said. Luna followed her mother for a few steps, before noticing that Terra hadn't move from the original spot she sat on after being reprimanded.

"Rara, hurry, we're leaving," she called out, but the elder sister kept silent still. "Rara, please, you can't be like this every single time Mother scolds you! It was just a small mistake!"

"No! I'm not going to move!" Terra shouted. One could tell sure enough that she was indeed sulking to a level even Luna couldn't comprehend.

"Rara, I know you are upset because Mother made you look bad in front of other ponies, but you can't pretend like you are still a foal. Now come."

The green pony shook her head. She shifted her position and curled up into a ball. "Leave me alone, Lulu," she said. Luna rolled her eyes in annoyance. She was getting to the limits of her patience, and could blow up anytime soon.

"Let me talk to her," Galatea whispered to her, having turned back to inspect the situation.

"Please do so, Mother. I might just pound her if this continues any longer."

Galatea approached her daughter who was still lying on the ground, curled up into a disc. Although Terra was the eldest sister of the three siblings, her soul was softer and more delicate than Celestia. Where the eldest was expected to be a role model towards the younger, Terra only succeeded on the positive emotional side.

"Terra, dear," Galatea said. She sat down next to the sorrowful pony. "Terra, sweetheart, listen to me." Terra only curled into a tighter ball. Galatea stroked her daughter's mane. "Terra, please, hear me out." The time passed by idly, until finally, the daughter decided to give her mother a chance. She lifted an ear and turned it towards her, signalling her willingness to hear her appeal.

Galatea came closer to her. "Terra, sweetheart, I'm sorry if I had hurt your feelings. I love you so much, but things cannot always be the way you see it. You have to respect your fellow citizens. I'm proud of you, my daughter, and I want you to become a better pony. Do you understand?" Terra nodded in her curled-up form. "Now come, sit properly." Complying to the request, she slowly unfurled and sat down to face her mother, although her visage was still pointed towards the earth.

"Do you promise not to intimidate other ponies again?" Terra shuffled her hooves, rubbing one with the other.

"Yes, Mother. I promise not to intimidate other ponies again." She put a hoof on her chest, symbolizing an oath.

"That's my daughter," Galatea said as she nuzzled her. Terra squirmed, trying to escape the tender moment, but her mother had her in a tight hold. A final kiss on the cheek made Terra disgusted. Galatea smiled. "You used to enjoy that when you were young," Galatea said.

"Well, Mother, I am much older now," she replied, trying to defend her maturity.

"No matter how old you become, you are still my beloved daughter." She smiled cheerily. All that mushy act and the overall tender atmosphere successfully lifted her mood.

"I love you too, Mother."

The trio continued their stroll, making their way towards the park.


"So Twilight, when are you getting married?"

Twilight coughed violently. "What?! Why all of a sudden?" the purple alicorn blurted, obviously caught off guard by the question. Rarity was amused at the reaction of her young alicorn friend. She decided to have some fun in annoying her.

"Well, you know, since dear Fluttershy here is getting married soon and... well, I believe you are the next one in line of maturity after her-"

"Excuse me, but am I not considered mature enough?" Rainbow Dash interrupted Rarity in her speech, offended by the fact that she wasn't second in line. Being promoted to squadron leader in the Wonderbolt Academy, she had considered it a rite of passage into a more adult phase in her life. Yet it was clear that she still has a lot of work to do before getting second place in a contest of wisdom and experience.

"I don't mean to offend you, Rainbow Dash dear, but you clearly can't behave properly in a formal dinner without me tying you down to the chair."

"Hey, I can! It's just that somepony never invites me to it!"

"Reason all you want, Rainbow Dash, I'm hardly convinced."

"Girls, can we lay this off, please? I'm not getting married anytime soon," Twilight said. These days, marriage somehow became a hot topic between the four friends. Ever since Fluttershy announced that she was getting married, their topic of conversation almost always included the terms 'date', 'stallion', 'marriage' and... the rest that comes with it. It was somewhat expected: after the commotion with Tirek, life had been quite stable and uneventful, save for a few little kinks now and then. Mares do get lonely during those times.

"Though I admit, Rares, that is a good question. I mean, not that I'm worried that Twilight here is going to be the last of us to get married, but I don't really see her eyeing any stallion in town I know of," Rainbow said.

"Rainbow, for the last time, I said that I'm not getting married anytime soon. I'm still young and I honestly prefer my privacy over caring of some stallion." The other unicorn perked up at the last words of the phrase.

"Too young? Oh no no no no, Twilight dear. You can never be too young to get married. Why, my mother wasn't even 21 when she got married."

"That was long ago, Rarity. Now time's have changed, and I can't be expected to follow some old customs," Twilight rebutted.

"Fine, fine. I'm just saying," the white unicorn replied, "Though the idea of you having a soul-mate is just... ohh!" She moaned, eliciting worrying glares from her friends.

"Right... let's just eat now," Rainbow said. She produced a basket full of bread and pansies.

"Wow, you really picked a nice choice of filling. They're huge!" Twilight exclaimed. Rainbow Dash scooped a flower and laid it on the bread.

"What can I say, I know what the ponies like. To eat a lot."

Twilight had only brought some pastries she tried making in the morning. It was on the tip of being burnt, but the dark brown color wouldn't spoil the good, buttery taste anyway. Rarity had some tomato salad and a honeydew which had yet to be cut into pieces. "Fluttershy, you ok?" Rainbow Dash asked, noticing that her yellow friend had been keeping silent throughout the entire time. "Shy, you there? Picnic to Shy, picnic to Shy, do you copy?"

It took several seconds for Fluttershy to register Rainbow's pings. She sharply snapped off from her zoning-out. "What? Oh... sorry, I didn't notice you," the shy pegasus said.

"Didn't notice me? My muzzle was practically in your ears, Shy," Rainbow exclaimed, pointing to her ears.

"Is something the matter, darling? You look like you've been watching out for some timberwolves all morning," Rarity asked.

"Oh no, it's nothing, really... I must've dozed off... I do that a lot sometimes," she replied.

"Is it Discord? Is he planning to crash in on us and turn my bread into cloud again?" Rainbow asked, vigilant of said draconequus.

"No, it's... it's nothing, really... don't- don't worry about it." She shuffled, just to get the tension out of her system: sitting down too long had proven to be stressful.

"I can't bear to eat anything right now knowing my friend is preoccupied with some problem. Come on, you can tell us. We'll keep it secret too, if you want," Twilight offered.

"Yeah. Cross my heart and hope to fly, which I already can, stick a cupcake in my eye," Rainbow said.

Fluttershy pondered at the sentence she was going to say. "Well... I... was just wondering about the... family I will be having."

Rarity cocked her brows. "The family you will be having? I don't see where you're going dear," she said.

"Well, I expect to have some foals. What would they be like? Are they going to be... timid and shy like me-"

Rainbow Dash interrupted her, "That's not gonna happen. Some ponies told me that the offsprings don't necessarily take on their parents' behaviors. At least not all the time."

"She's right, Fluttershy. Who knows, maybe they'll become as outgoing as Pinkie someday!" Twilight added. The pegasus winced at the thought of her children being as energetic as Pinkie Pie: what would that look like in real life, with her as the mother? Not wanting that reality, she shook the thought out of her head.

"Maybe not. But that thought kind of nagged me all morning, right after Lu-" She quickly shut her mouth.

"Right after what, darling?" Rarity questioned.

"Oh, nothing. It's nothing." She mustered a poker face.

"I swear that you're becoming a tad bit odd these days around, Fluttershy dear. I'm certain it's the wedding." The pegasus laughed hesistantly.

"Yeah, it must've been that."

"Well, whatever the reason, I believe that you will make a great mother," the white unicorn said.

"Really?"

"I kid you not. You are the most motherly of all mares I have met in my whole life. I have no doubt that you will raise fine children. You know more about caring for creatures than any of us."

Fluttershy blushed. "Thank you, Rarity."


"The old castle," Galatea said, "Oh what memories this brings." She approached the gates. Twilight had been taking care of it since about a year ago, although it has yet to be inhabited. For now, it was just an edifice that meant little to other ponies save the royal family and a few inhabitants of Ponyville.

"You may not know it, Lulu, but when I was young, from this castle onwards, in any direction you point, there wasn't a single tree. We used to call it the Everfree Meadows. Ponies of all kinds would run into the distance during the day, to destinations unknown and only return by nightfall," Terra said.

"A plain that stretched on infinitely, I cannot fathom such an idea. I can't look into the distance without a shrub of mighty trunks blocking my vision," Luna said, her gaze deep into the distance, trying to see Ponyville.

Of course, Canterlot was visible from all corners of Equestria.

"I'm not sure why there are so many trees now. Maybe some pony had sown some greywood tree seeds in the past," Terra said, scratching her chin.

"Neither am I. Though I have yet to study the history of the Everfree Forest. Alas, the library doesn't have an extensive collection of tomes discussing that topic."

Galatea knew exactly why the empty grassland suddenly turned into an eerie wood. It was none other than the might of the Dark Heart of Terra, who was imprisoned not far away from the castle. As she descended into the ground, it split open, creating a large crevasse surrounding the palace. When she finally reached the lowest point, ghoulish trees started to sprout in the surrounding area, concentric with respect to the madmare's position.

"Mother, what was Equestria like when you were young?" Terra asked. Galatea snapped her attention to her daughter.

"Why do you ask?"

"I have a feeling that maybe what happened long before could have brought about the growth of these trees."

"Well, back then..." Galatea said, before trailing off. Almost five millennium of history to tell, where should she start? Equestria had experienced so many things; each one contributing to the story in it's own way. Times of prosperity, disaster, rebuilding, destruction: every piece made the puzzle more complete.

"Come, let us find a suitable patch to sit down. I will tell you a story or two."

"Oooh, storytime! Mother always tell the best stories! The story about the young draconequus is the best one so far," Terra shouted in excitement, despite her age of almost two millennia and a half.

"You don't mean a certain draconequus who is the spirit of chaos and disharmony, do you?" Luna asked.

"I don't remember, Lulu."

They sat down under the shade of the castle. Once all three ponies were planted down on the ground, cozy and relaxed, Galatea began to recount the story of her life. "This may all seem normal to the eye," she said, pointing out towards the horizon, "but when I was just a young filly, the world was a cruel place."

"Cruel? How so?" Luna asked.

"Ponies were not as civilized a being in the past. Every animal existed as tribes, clans that do not treat each other as friends or allies. There were many atrocities committed between them. Us being plant-eaters, we were often preys of meat-eaters. Tigras, lyons, manticores, dragons, they've killed many of my brothers and sisters. And yet, even in those harrowing times, ponies chose to be separate, living their own collective lives apart. How odd it was, that ego becomes desirable over life itself."

"Mother, I didn't know..." Terra said, now feeling guilty about what she had asked earlier.

"It's alright, Terra. It was all in the past," she said. "Although survival was still the goal of many, some pony clans did view life differently, seeing unity as the key to a more prosperous life. Thus, we began to unite with each other. Unicorns, earth ponies and pegasi from different bloodlines came together, intermingling between themselves. Each race provides the other with means to live a better life: the unicorns defended the group against large threats with their magic and invented many things, the pegasi protected the skies and helped to govern the cycles of the cloud, and the earth ponies worked the land and produced food for everypony. The first Equestrian Generation was thus born. In due time, the intermingling brought forth many new races: the alicorns being one example."

"So that was how we came to be," Luna said, "This was never recounted in any history book," she added.

"It was only common sense at the time. All ponies lived long lives in the old days. Any race could outlive the other with ease. One of your uncles was older than me by a century, and yet he was a unicorn," Galatea said. "There were many bloodlines, each one representing a single tribe. I come from the Varhorse clan, already an alicorn by birth. Your father, however, was a unicorn of Luminidian descent. He was," Galatea paused to chuckle, her visage yearning, "he was such a timid and gentle one."

"Father was a unicorn? How did he become an alicorn then?" Luna questioned.

"Yes, he was. And he was the first to be transformed into one. The story, though, wasn't something I like to remember, let alone tell."

"Not everypony approved of our marriage. Luminids and Varhorses were considered incompatible back then," Galatea paused, then continued, "but along came I and your father. On the day of our wedding, my own kind tried to assassinate me, but your father sacrificed himself in order to protect me. He-" Galatea sobbed, trying to stifle her emotions in order to continue her story. Luna and Galatea approached their dear mother. "He died in front of me." Galatea lowered her head into her hooves, staying there for a moment. Once she was certain of her stability, she raised back up again. "It broke my heart to see him die, when it was supposed to be the merriest day of our lives."

"But Luminid unicorns were very special indeed, for their source of life was a common light that emanated from every one of their hearts. The whole clan came together to give their lives to revive a dead unicorn, and transformed him into another being."

"Your Father became an alicorn that day, at the expense of every single Luminid unicorn. It didn't fare well for him, but I tried to comfort him and in time, all was well," Galatea said, "The second Equestrian Generation went by idly, until the day of the Grand Cataclysm."

Terra shook her head. "Grand... Cataclysm?" she asked.

"The day every life was quenched from this planet. It happened in an instant; nopony had expected it. The skyrocks crashed into the planet, obliterating everything there was the eye could see. Everything turned to ash. We were looking for food at the time. Your Father was able to protect himself with magic, but I wasn't so lucky. I faced the full blast."

"What!?"

"I didn't understand it at first. It was beyond deathly agony. But at the same time, my being didn't yield to the heat or scorching wind. Where a fellow pony would have been turned to ashes, I only suffered burns. I spent years finding out why, but I could only come to one answer: that it was what I am. After the catastrophe had ended, we tried to find other survivors. Sadly, there weren't many: only some twenty families out of the hundreds of thousands were left alive. For a century, the lands were inhabitable, and ponies migrated elsewhere in order to sustain themselves. But in times like then, there wasn't much hope of sustenance when all that there had been was only ashes. But perishing wasn't our fate: eventually we found a single patch of land that wasn't destroyed, the Garden of Hope."

"It was there, that any surviving creature sought refuge for a hundred years, waiting for the rebirth of the land." Galatea paused, looking at the grass beneath her. "Eventually, everything returned to how it was. The trees grew back, the grass sprouted and covered the land, and with the help of the remaining flyers, we restored the cloud cycle. And it was only centuries after that, that we settled here, on this very patch of land. Equestria." She looked and Terra with a warm smile.

"Then, you were born. Our very first daughter," she said, messing up Terra's mane with her hoof.

"Mother, please," Terra retorted.

"Our life had been a series of misfortune, and I was starting to think that I may not have a peaceful life at all. But you, dear Terra, proved it all wrong."

"But then, I lost you. I lost you to a curse that we all bear. All three of us are Varhorses by blood, and since time immemorial, our lineage has a curse, a disease that goes on from generations to generations: the Dark Heart. Although we are a strong breed, capable of facing a dragon's Flare or a skyrock's blast, that strength comes with a price."

Something familiar ticked in Luna's mind about what her mother had said. "Does that explain why I sometimes become jealous of Celestia?" she asked.

"Indeed. The Dark Heart corrupts with greed and desire. And having so much power, one could easily do what one wishes."

"Mother, what happened to me? Why was I gone for so long?" Terra asked. It was a delicate situation for the queen. The revelation may prove burdening to the oblivious mare, and she might just risk her emotional stability. But trusting the fact that Celestia had gotten rid of the plague, she decided that revelation might be a good way to continue.

"You were taken over by your Dark Heart, and you became a monster. I... I was forced to seal you away underneath the Earth until you recover." Terra stood silent.

"But it's alright now. Celestia has found a way to finally cure the ailment. You see, the essence of the Dark Heart is selfishness. What extinguishes it, is simply generosity."

"Then, does it mean that whoever bears the element of generosity could cure us?" Luna asked.

"Luminidians are known for their generosity. But that alone is not enough. It also requires an inverse magical base, for the Dark Heart is indeed a magical disease. And only the unicorns of light-origin possess the kind of magic that could shatter the barriers. We are grateful to have Celestia, for she is of Luminidian bloodlines," she replied.

"That explains many things," the blue pegasus said.

"In the millennium that passed by, civilizations began to grew. The Griffon Kingdom, the Empire of Draconia, Zebrica, Empire of the East, animals came together to build a better nation. Equestria was no exception. We started out here, in the Everfree. In time, ponies began to migrate to other towns, towns that exist today."

"But with civilization, comes conquest. Equestria had not been peaceful at times. Other nations had tried to invade us, and some times, they almost succeeded. But ponies weren't powerless. We fought to defend ourselves. Had it not been for Magister Sombra, there wouldn't be an Equestria-"

"What does Sombra have to do with the upbringing of Equestria?" Luna asked, shocked.

"Magister Sombra was a Darkovian unicorn, the unicorns of darkness. I was never fond of their shady bloodlines, but Varhorses didn't mind a good competition. During the Griffon Siege of Equestria, he had defended the Northern frontlines, protecting ponies of the Crystal clan. He was a hero in the eyes of the Crystalians," Galatea said.

"I can't believe it! That tyrant was... never mind, Mother, please, continue."

"The campaign lasted for half a century. The griffons found allies in their invasion, and they almost annihilated the entire pony civilization. That was where I played my part. A part that I shall tell of, so that you may understand that with great powers, come great responsibilities." Both daughters strained their ears to listen carefully.

"It was the dawn of what was to be the final day of the siege. There were a hundred thousand griffons rushing in to deliver the final blow. Everypony was exhausted, defeated in mind and body. Most were willing to die after 50 years of fighting. But I wouldn't have any of that. So I stood up, and summoned my Dark Heart. What happened next, nopony knew for sure, but the entire army vanished. Not a single trace was left."

"Some say that they were blown away into the Outer Space, some say the beam of light turned them into dust. I do not know, but it was atrocious." Galatea winced, imagining what it had felt to be in the line of sight.

"Listen to me, Terra, Luna: what we are, we cannot change. But what we will be, and what we will do, we can decide for ourselves. And we shall be the protectors of ponies," Galatea said. "After the war, life became tranquil again. That was when I had Celestia and you," she said whilst grabbing Luna with her hoof. "And the rest, you know."

"Mother, can you... show us... your powers?" Terra asked.

Galatea hissed at her daughter. "Have you not understood what I've been telling you?!" she scolded.

"Yes, I have. But I only wish to understand further, so that I may actually be convinced."

The queen backed down, unsure about her request. Although Celestia did a damage to it, Galatea was never fully sure the Dark Heart was gone. But she decided to trust in her daughter's action. "Very well, I will show you. But you must try and fight the feelings in your heart. Do not let it consume you, too." Terra nodded, and Luna sat cautiously.

Galatea stood up, stepping back far away from the two. Once satisfied with the distance, she began to concentrate, tapping into the might that their bloodline has granted them. The breeze turned into turbulent wind, and without any charge, she fired a beam into the air. It was silent. "Is that al-" Terra was interrupted by an ear-splitting boom high in the sky. The castle walls shook and some parts of it even crumbled. There was no doubt that that would be heard even by the Crystalians. "Ooo..." Terra managed.

"Any Varhorsian unicorn could do that," Galatea said, "the destruction that ensues is... despicable." Terra sprung into the air and stomped on the ground, causing a significant quake that continued to destroy the fort even more.

"Are you mad?! You could have destroyed the castle!" her mother chided.

"I just wanted to try and see for myself!"

"Enough. We shall not have any more of this," Galatea ordered.

"One more, Mother," the daughter said, as she disobeyed her mother and summoned a stone pillar from beneath the crevasse, colliding with Galatea. She fell on her back, but quickly recovered.

"That is it!" Galatea cast a cage to contain her, but she escaped via tunnel, and emerged from beneath her, hitting her with a huge boulder.

"Mother!" Luna screamed. Her sister had gone mad. Again.

She flew and flapped her wings, sending a compressed blade of air that threatened to saw the crazy earth pony in half. Terra was quick to block it with a pillar. "Nice try, Lulu, but you won't get to me that easily."

"Then I'll just try again!" She dashed towards her sister, boosting her speed and headbutting her in the torso. They landed heavily on the ground, shattering the rocks below. "That'll teach you to-" Luna was cut short by a beam of light hitting the left side of her visage. She flinched and fell to the side.

"How dare you hit your sister like that!" Galatea screamed as she brought herself to face Luna.

"Mo- Mother, why-"

Luna didn't get to finish her sentence as she and Galatea was launched into the air by another pillar. The two of them fell down with a sickening crunch. Terra quickly approached them like a predator, and turned the ground into a quicksand-like viscosity, quickly sinking them into the ground.

"Terra! Stop it!" Luna cried, her body fully submerged, leaving only her head above the earth. Galatea, however had been completely buried. "Terra! Please stop!" Luna tried once again to persuade her sister.

"This is so amazing! So much power!"

Galatea shot a beam from six feet under, hitting Terra in the head before bursting out of the ground, sending rocks flying in all direction, even Luna's. She wielded an enormous magical sword. Silent, she rushed in to strike her elder daughter, trying to chop her in half. The earth pony retaliated by summoning her own sword from the solid rocks beneath, blocking her mother's attack. The two continued into a duel, swords clashing with each other. Luna tried to break free from her tomb, but was unable to.

She teleported herself out of the ground, only to bring herself and a large chunk of rock around her, still encasing her form. "Damn it!" Unnoticed by her, Terra was sent flying in her direction, colliding and shattering the boulder like a supersonic projectile, along with Luna. The blue pegasus laid on the ground, no longer moving.

"Are you proud of killing her, Mother?" Terra asked, taunting her.

"She is not dead yet. Do you really think it's that easy to kill us?"

Terra took her sword and stabbed Luna's body, right where her lung was. "Now she is."

Summoning another sword, the earth pony swooped in to strike her mother, aiming for the neck. Galatea dodged and landed a slash on her daughter's forehoof. Terra didn't fall back and continued the assault, catching her mother off-guard and striking her side. Blood began to stream down their wounds, but it didn't stop them. They continued to spar, landing blows and drawing blood. Neck, flank, hooves, shoulder; gashes, lunges, slices, stabs; red liquid was pouring and staining their bodies.

Galatea dived in to strike Terra's neck. Her daughter ducked and slashed her belly, causing a long wound from front to back, before thrusting the sword into her mother's stomach. Galatea fell down, writhing and twitching in pain as she slowly pulled the sword out with her magic. Terra limped over to her mother, summoning yet another sword. She rested the blade on her mother's neck. "Any... last... words... Mother?" Galatea looked at her daughter with a hateful glare. The pained unicorn struggled to form her sentence.

"Yes... I do..."

"Say... it..." Terra said weakly. Galatea panted heavily, still pulling the sword out of her abdomen.

"I'm... not done yet!"

She yanked the blade out of her and drove it into Terra's torso, making sure she was aiming at her heart. But the move wasn't a free gift: Terra reacted by jabbing her sword into Galatea's neck, going straight through. Both mares fell down, trying to dislodge the weapon stuck in their bodies. Galatea was choking, and Terra coughed out blood.

Eventually, both mares stopped moving all together, lying down and dead.

The three corpses laid on the ground. A milk white unicorn littered with cuts and stained with dirt and blood facing a pastel green earth pony, also in a similar condition. Further away from the two, was a greyish blue pegasus, who was not as dirty as the other two. They all laid there like a dead body would, unmoving and still, complying to the law of nature on losing too much blood and choking on air due to a blocked throat or a punctured lung. But their twitching hooves and constantly shaking frames were challenging said law.

The three dead ponies shot up, as if summoned by a necromancer. Steadily supporting their own weight by putting one hoof after the other, they managed to stand. Their wounds began to close as they cough and spatter the remaining blood that had pooled inside them. Within a few moments, they looked like as if nothing had happened to them. "What is- going on? Why am- I, alive again?" Luna asked, confused. She knew her bones were shattered during the impact, and she felt the sword piercing her. She knew she had died.

"I- told- you, we are a- strong- breed," Galatea said, coughing all the while.

"I knew that. I didn't- think we would be- this strong," the blue pegasus said.

"That was enlightening! We should do this more often!" Terra said in joy, attempting to stomp her hooves on the ground. Galatea quickly slid a hoof to trip the pony, preventing her from causing another earthquake.

"I hope that both of you understand better now. We can be a threat to Equestria. Varhorses are renowned for their family feuds, and most end up in bloody fights. But your Father... He taught me that even if I inherited that bloody legacy, I still have the right to change. And that is why I make it my life's mission to change the world for the better. I want both of you and Celestia to be better ponies. Teach your children noble values. Make Equestria a better place." Both daughters nodded.

"Although it might be a while before any one of us finds our mate," Luna said.

"Nonsense. There are ponies everywhere you look. You just have to find the right one."

"I find this one stallion guard very attractive, the one with the blu-"

"As for you, Terra, you shall remain in your chambers till I forgive you."

"What?! But Mother-"

"I do not want to hear another whimper, lest you be banished to the far end of the Outer Space. Do you understand?" The daughter nodded, keeping shut as to avoid being sent to whoever-knows-where. "Come, let us retire. I feel we have quite a panic to calm down back in Canterlot," Galatea said.

"Mother, can you tell me about Luna?" the green pony asked. "Rara, don't you even think-"

"Luna? Well when she was young-"

"Mother please!"

They trotted in the direction of Canterlot.

Author's Note:

[AN]

Hello everyone, Little Kaiser here, reporting for another fic.

This is yet another stub from some ideas I had.

At first, I wanted to just write the battle scene. But that wouldn't be interesting. So I added more story to it, and included a little part of (my own version of) the history of Equestria.

As I wrote this story, it felt VERY off due to the classic 'Mary Sue'-type narrative, especially in the end, but all that idea was stuck in my mind, and I had to get it out in order to continue. That, or maybe I'm just finding an excuse to 'procrastinate' from my other stories.

I wasn't too proud of this one, but I think that'll be enough attention to give it.

Hope you enjoy this one,

Little Kaiser, signing out.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment