• Published 26th Jun 2015
  • 583 Views, 2 Comments

When You Stare Into The Abyss - Dai Kirai



Twilight comes to visit Celestia in Canterlot. To show off a new artifact. Nothing could go wrong with that

  • ...
3
 2
 583

When You Stare Into The Abyss

The throne of Canterlot Castle cast a deep shadow through the room. Illumination only came from Luna’s moon and the twinkling stars. The light would wax and wane as clouds passed between the large sphere and the castle windows. The world was utterly quiet and serene. Shadows gracefully swept across the floor as gold inlaid marble columns blocked the light, the throne at the back completely engulfed in shadows.

Celestia’s body rested on the cool marble inches on front of her throne, an expanding pool of blood coalesced beneath her. She struggled to stand, futilely moving her legs, wings too weak to even unfurl. The only real movement the shaking of her body. Her magenta eyes desperately searched the room, unable to find their target, unable to see. Breath thready as it gurgled past the slit in her throat, blood seeping out to join the pool that stained her fur. Unable to speak, to plead, to beg. The golden crown now sat by the large oaken doors.

Finally, a spark of life returned to her searching eyes as they landed on her student sitting so close by. A weak smiled played across the white alicorn’s lips as she tried one last time to speak. It lasted only a second before her head collapsed to the hard floor with a thud. Two or three more futile breaths were all Celestia could grasp before that too stopped. Her chest ceased its gradual rise and fall, all tension in her body released as nerve signals stopped being sent out. Muscles slackened, she seemed to deflate sitting there, no longer a Regal Princess, just a thing to be removed.

Her ethereal mane slowed to a gentle breeze before stopping altogether, the magic supplying the effect faded. The red flames cooled as the fire of novae died, deprived of sustenance. It returned to muted pastels, then faded to a somber fuchsia. The transition was gradual, moving from the tips to her head, the raging fire of the sun died to be like that of a foal’s. Her most faithful student watched the entire process with respect, head bowed while seated by Celestia’s side.

Luna’s whole frame trembled by the oak door, eyes wide on the body. Her entire world crumbled. How could she rule by herself without even the hope of seeing her sister again? She took a step back, flank hitting the door. The doors behind her whumfed from the impact. Her heart skipped several beats, it felt like it would leave her body on the slightest breeze. The Princess of the moon had no weapons or armor, just like her sister. She had magic, potent magic, some of the strongest in Equestria; so had Celestia. Maybe if she could gather her wits, start gathering the energy for a spell, but all Luna could do was stare at the two alicorns. At what she had witnessed.

Twilight’s ears twitched and moved like small radar dishes as she was finally broken from her trance. A small carved blade six inches in length was held afloat by her violet aura. Her head twisted as she stared at the blade in contemplation, its surface sheathed in the crimson blood of her mentor.

Luna got a long look at the dagger as the young alicorn wiped off the blood. The dagger glowed a deep green through the runes etched across the blade and handle as Twilight wiped it against Celestia’s white coat, crimson now obscuring her cutie mark. The edge glinted in the pale moonlight as the runes faded.

The lavender mare inspected the knife once more, only a few specs of blood remained. Princess Twilight Sparkle, happy at the inspection, stood onto four stolid hooves and turned to see the other alicorn. There was no rush as her violet aura covered the doors and windows, sealing them as surely as welded steel. Her lavender coat splattered with arterial flow, blood over her face. Warring emotions flew like physical waves from her glittering eyes; grief, hate, love, sorrow, determination.

The blood in Luna’s veins ran cold as the purple mare strode toward her with slow, deliberate, steps. She felt for a weakness, any weakness in the walls, there was one behind the princess of friendship, she would have to wait for the right time to move.

Twilight’s pupils narrowed to slits, smiling with sharp serrated teeth reminiscent of NightMare Moon’s. A smoky black miasma seeped from her body and over the ground she walked. Taking the journey step by easy step. Her mane began to undulate in an invisible breeze, stars winking into existence. Black sinewy wings spread from her open lavender ones and covered the windows, arching for the alicorn of the night.

Luna gathered her magic as she glanced around nervously; there was no place she could escape to. The midnight blue alicorn let loose a powerful blast of pure magic, the kind desperation fueled to new power; only to see the construct disintegrate against the dagger. The blast should have been able to destroy mountains, to even topple the castle they stood in. Nothing like that weapon had ever existed, the enchantments were still fresh, made in the past week using Twilight’s own powers. Her signature emanated from every rune and inscription.

Twilight pulled back her lips and ran her tongue along her incisors. The muscles along her jaw quivered. Each step careful, dagger glowing in anticipation.

Luna felt the door at her back. It had to be a nightmare.

Twilight had calmly walked into the throne room saying she had found a rare artifact. As Luna was leaving the room from her own meeting with ‘Tia when the door had slammed shut. The sound echoes and bounced off the stained glass windows. Luna turned around only to Twilight raise the enchanted dagger and slide it across Celestia’s throat?

Luna yelled at herself to wake up, to get away, for some kind of aid, trying to call on her ancient power as the Mare in the Moon. Nothing came. Her wings refused to move, it wouldn’t matter though as the black wings had already engulfed the windows and the light of her moon. Illumination came only from the glow of their manes.

Step by careful step. Twilight moved forward. Knife held at neck height. Ready to lash out. To spill blood. To end life.

With Twilight still fifty feet away, Luna turned and banged on the door and tried to scream for the guards. Nothing. No sound. The midnight blue alicorn turned back around. Twilight’s hoofsteps were quiet as well. The gold shod hooves utterly silent as they hit marble.

Luna could smell her sister’s blood on the younger alicorn. The bitter tang caused her eyes to water. Rage and fear fought over her heart. She had one last spell, one designed to kill an alicorn. It had been developed solely to kill Celestia a long time ago, when Luna had become the NightMare. The midnight blue mare closed her eyes, focused on those old spells, built them up, and interconnected the strings of magic.

Luna looked down to see Twilight standing there, maybe five feet away. Dagger nowhere in sight. This pony looked just like when she had come in. Bright clever violet eyes, slightly shabby mulberry coat, at least in the light cast by their manes. Shadows still crossed the space, one fell squarely across one half of Twilight’s face. The eye cloaked in shadows retained the dragon’s pupil surrounded by a deep magenta. Around that stood an ink black sclera, it was entrancing and mesmerizing. Her coat was soaked in blood, more than just Celestia’s. The grin deepened.

Luna felt something cool against her chest and looked down as the dagger slid between her ribs in the same violet aura. The runes thrummed with power, their light growing in intensity. She felt it pierce her heart, and every beat of the racing organ caused more damage. The magic she had prepared began to fade, the energy disappearing. Slowly the knife retracted from the wound. Luna felt warmth spread down her chest. She slid down to the floor in exhaustion; there was no pain outside a chill spreading through her body. Magic too far away to reach.

There was nothing left for Luna. Everything she had was gone. Everything she had cherished destroyed. Her mind was the first thing to fog, looking around the midnight blue alicorn saw vague shadows, and a special pony outlined in golden light. In an instant all the shadows had dissolved, the light of her moon stood bright in the sky. Luna forgot what had been troubling her, but this smiling unicorn would surely help. Help. Help. That was her last thought. That Somepony would come along to help.

Author's Note:

The challenge I gave him and wanted to try myself as I was bored. In 1000-1500 words, write a story about Twilight dealing with the death of Celestia at her own hooves.

This was a challenge. A dark story in 1000 to 1500 words is no easy feat. And I wanted to do it without dialogue. Now I have to do a cheery, bright, and happy slice of life story with the same limits.

Comments ( 2 )

i thoroughly enjoyed luna's expression throughout this.

6352964 Thank you. Always happy to hear from readers.

Login or register to comment