• Published 2nd May 2015
  • 334 Views, 8 Comments

Dance for the Roses - xx-Carcass-xx



Everyone knows Octavia is an extraordinary cellist, but that's not her only talent…

  • ...
1
 8
 334

Dance for the Roses

Octavia grumbled as she rolled over, emerging from the warm velvety cocoon of her bed. Through her thin gray curtains, Celestia's work gave a glow that slowly crept across the bedsheets as it rose up into the canvas of a sky. She mumbled something under her breath before punching the alarm clock that read 6:47 AM. She got up and walked to the bathroom and washed her muzzle and eyes. She yawned and combed her mane and tail into her signature "Straight 'n' Swirl, with a Pompadour'd forelock." Octavia smiled, then trotted off to the kitchen to fetch herself some oats.

She thought about what happened last night. She had an encounter with Luna at the cafe she was playing for...


"Hello, Octavia." Luna said, emphasizing her Royal Canterlot voice.

"Greetings, Princess." Octavia said in reply. Her tone was formal, as always.

"Magnificent work, I see."

"Thank you. I've been working on my higher notes to perfect that crisp shrill you heard tonight."

"Mhmmm. That reminds me. Celestia had this for thee."

Luna magically retrieved a gold sealed envelope from the castle and gently passed it to Octavia.

"Go on, open it. But please, I ask that thou shalt not act of sudden surprise."

Octavia lifted an eyebrow and slowly tore open the envelope, pulling the letter sealed within out from its covers.

Dear Octavia Sharp Melody,

You have been invited by I, Princess Celestia, and my sister, Princess Luna, to play your cello at the 278th annual Grand Galloping Gala as part of the Royal Orchestra.
We admire your work as a traditional musician and feel you will blend in well with the rest of the musicians playing.

Best Regards,
Princesses Celestia & Luna

Octavia's mouth gaped open, her eyes the size of dinner plates.
"Are you serious?" She asked, trying not to scream.
Luna nodded, and smiled. "So, are you up for this challenge?" she powerfully exaggerated.
Octavia nodded, and fixed her collar. She puffed out her chest, and stood in her professional stance. "I very well am."

She grinned. "I'm seriously going to be playing at the gala." she said, then humming the ridiculously catchy song the elemental beholders sang before their grand entrance a few years back as she walked to practice her cello in her candle-lit practice room.


After Octavia played her classical pieces, she had some fun and played some contemporary music on her cello. The music gave a bit of character to the music roomthat was normally quiet and blissful when she played her classical pieces. She only played modern music occasionally, mostly when she was gleeful.

Some time later, she set down her cello into its leather case and walked out of the acoustic-tuned concerto room. She stretched her hind legs, as her hocks felt a bit sore from standing.

Octavia snorted.

"I wonder if I need anything to wear. Will the Princesses have a uniform? There wasn't an indication on the letter..." she wondered. "Maybe I should simply ask Rarity to sew me something. Maybe I should ask her for something I can d—"

Octavia stopped herself. "Why would I? I've never actually… shown anyone…"

She sighed.

"What am I doubting? Why am I so afraid of it?"

She paced back and forth.

"Because, you were meant for playing the music, not…"

She stomped her hoof, her tendons rattling a bit at the impact.

"No. I go to Rarity, ask for a dress that I can easily move around in, and done."

And so she set off to the local dressmaker to order the piece that she would wear to debut her hidden ability.


After Octavia had reached Ponyville, she trotted down the paved road. Ponies waved to her as she passed the grocer, and Applejack stood by her cider stand at the Farmer's Market. Octavia held her chin up and continued to move along.

A few minutes later, she had reached Rarity's glistening cottage. As she grasped the golden handle, a bell rang inside. She quietly opened the door, peeking in.

"Hello, my darling! It's been so long…" Rarity gasped, her tone breathy.

"Hello, Rarity." Octavia replied.

"What brings you here?" Rarity asked. "You aren't a regular customer…"

"Oh, I just… need a dress… for the Gala…"

"Lovely! What kind were you looking for?"

"Simple and elegant, and easy to move around in. Nothing exaggerated..." Octavia said.

"I believe I have just the thing for you…" Rarity replied. "Right this way."

Octavia followed Rarity up the stairs to a room full of mannequins.

"So, what will you be needing this for?"

"Well, uh… you see, I—"

"You're playing aren't you?" Rarity said, prancing excitedly.

Octavia nodded. "Yeah."

"I know what you need." Rarity turned to a set of mannequins with simple dresses on them.

She walked up to a silk gray gown with a white underdress. Pale gray hoof-gloves were slipped on the front legs of the mannequin.

"Oh…my…" Octavia gasped.

"Do you like it?"

"Yes, I do, very much…"

"Oh! I have the perfect accessory to go along with it. Wait here."

Rarity turned and walked to a closet and pulled out a small box. She opened the case and carefully picked up a necklace with a treble clef trinket dangling from it.

Rarity placed the necklace on the mannequin.

"How does that look?"

Octavia stared at the outfit. It reminded her of her mother at her first concert...

"Ma! Ma! Hurry, we'll be late!" Octavia excitedly squealed as she packed her viola into its case, slinging the pack over her shoulder.
"I'm coming, Octavia." her Mother had said.
They walked to the park, where there were some foals having picnics with their parents.
"Are you sure you want to do this, Octavia?"
"Yes mother."
She got her instrument out of its case and blew her forelock out of her eyes. She grabbed the bow, and cleared her throat.
Some of the ponies looked at Octavia.
She began to play a simple nameless piece composed by her.
As she slid the bow up and down the strings, the notes flowed out to the people playing.
Her mother stood by the tree, wearing a dark gray gown, watching her play for these random ponies she didn't even know. Standing there, supporting her.
Her mother...

"It's-it's-its beautiful." she stuttered, the memories so vivid.

"Glad you like it!" She slowly took the dress off the plastic pony and walked down the stairs.

Octavia went ahead and bought the dress, and it wasn't as expensive as she had thought. Rarity had given the necklace as a gift.

She carried her purchase out of the boutique. "This should do nicely." Octavia cantered back to her cottage.


Octavia fumbled around with her hooves as she paced around. Her dress looked stunning on her. "Oh my gosh, the day's actually here..." She stared at her cello's case. Her mane was tucked up under a white headband, making it look short to keep it out of her face. She stretched and exercised her muscles a bit, as they were tense.

"Oh, come on. You've been playing in front of crowds for ages! Get it together!" She scolded herself.

"Yeah, but never at a Gala!"

She snorted.

"I'm only nervous because of the dance."


"Hello, and welcome to the two hundred and seventy eighth annual Grand Galloping Gala! If I could please have everyone quiet down?" Celestia ordered.

The room went from coversational mumbling to silence.

"Thank you. It is my honor to present, the great and talented orchestra!"

The audience clapped and stomped for a minute, then the noise died down.

The conductor cleared his throat. He began waving his baton at the violin section to begin the song.

Octavia knew this piece by heart, Moonlight Sonota by Beethooves.

The conductor then added in some pianists and a little bit of clarinet.

"Almost there..." Octavia whispered, barely enough for her to hear.

Then the conductor pointed her way. She began to move her bow across the strings, creating a sound that gently ricocheted across the entire ballroom. The two other cellists began after her, following the song's rhythm.

Some of the trumpets and flutes were added in, and for the finale they all played at a harmonic forte tone to end the song.

Once the last note was played, the conductor bowed, and each musician in the orchestra dipped her head. They took their instruments and left the stage, Celestia thanking them.


After Octavia had put her cello back in its case, she walked to Vinyl, who was on her mix table, playing the music that night.

"Hey, Scratch?" she whispered.

"Tavi!" Vinyl gasped, and came around the table to hug her friend. "I saw you playing! So cool!" She said.

Octavia nodded. "Yeah. Hey, um, I have a sort of big request from you, but I need to ask it in private…" she said, trembling. The moment was near. She was going to shatter this glass she had built between her talent and everyone else.

"Okay...." Vinyl replied, clearly confused. Octavia pulled her to the side of the room and explained her plan.…


"Ladies and Gents, can I puh-lease have your attention?" Vinyl said. The room got quiet as she cleared her throat.

"Please clear the dance floor, my friends."

A few whispers were heard, along with murmurs. The Princesses looked around, confused.

The lights dimmed, then shone on Octavia, who hid herself under a large cloak to cover her dress and her face. She walked to the center of the the ballroom's floor, halted, and dipped her head in a salute, signaling Vinyl to start playing the music.

The intro to the song, which was simply a violin melody, began to play.

She trotted forward, turning right and trotting down the side of the floor. She then sped up into an extended trot, her legs moving elegantly with the rest of her body.

Octavia cut across the floor and switched directions, slowing into a collected trot to prepare for her shortened gait.

She picked up her knees and trotted, stepping high and proud.

She then went back to an extended trot, picking up the pace to match the song's chorus.

Octavia sped up even more, preparing for a canter.

She hopped into a fast paced canter as she made a lap around the floor, her stride elegant and powerful.

Octavia could hear murmurimg from the crowd saying "Who is that?"

She picked up her pace into a gallop. Her hood was secured nicely onto her dress to that it wouldn't dare fly off.

Octavia slowed back down into a working trot and circled at the end of the floor. She slowed down to a walk, beginning to start a pirouette.

She slowly turned in a tight circle, her hind legs staying stiff as she side-stepped with her forelegs to form the small turn.

She then walked forward, her head high as she shortened her trot gait again.

The audience gasped. "What? Huh? Who?"

She then went back to a trot, but faster and faster until she lept high into the air, her legs stretched far behind her as she tucked her knees into her chest, momentarily flying.

She landed and continued to trot onward.

The song was nearly over. She trotted up the center of the floor, then halted in the exact middle of the ballroom, her legs square. She slowly lifted her trembling hoof up to the hood to unbutton it. She shook it off her shoulders and revealed herself, and bowed down humbly to the floor.

The spectators gasped, and the room went silent for a moment, then Vinyl let out a whistle or approval and began to applaud, causing the rest of the room to do the same. Everyone began to stand up and stomp and clap and whistle, tossing her roses. Octavia stayed in her position, then smiled and sobbed with happiness. She stood up and looked at the room. Even the Princesses were applauding.

She looked at Vinyl, who winked at her and smiled. Octavia bowed once more, then left the floor, joyful tears streaming down her face.


Author's Note:

This is my first ever MLP fan fiction on this site and I am super excited to show it to everyone.

The plot idea was entirely thought up by me, written by me, and proofread with the help of a few amazing people.

I thank you for reading my story, and I'm glad it caught your attention.

Best Regards,

C


Special Thanks To
NixWorld for proofreading and giving me advice, step by step. :heart:
Theponycipher for also proofreading and helping to fix those little errors. :heart:

And to anyone else who helped me along the way, many hearts for you.
:heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:


If there are any words that are too advanced for your vocabulary, message me for the definition. I used a lot of real horse terms in this story.

Comments ( 8 )
Comment posted by Theponycipher deleted May 3rd, 2015
Comment posted by xx-Carcass-xx deleted May 3rd, 2015
Comment posted by Theponycipher deleted May 3rd, 2015
Comment posted by xx-Carcass-xx deleted May 3rd, 2015
Comment posted by Theponycipher deleted May 3rd, 2015
Comment posted by xx-Carcass-xx deleted May 3rd, 2015

Don't delete my edits, they will think it to be a comment graveyard

Login or register to comment