• Published 23rd Apr 2015
  • 430 Views, 3 Comments

Portals: Not Crazy (Portals Short) - The Derpy Doctor



A short on the portals story, to help illustrate one of my favorite fan works: "Double Rainboom" in a heartwarming light.

  • ...
4
 3
 430

Crazy?

Pinkie looked down at her hooves. She didn’t feel any different after drinking that “talent enhancer” that Twilight had given her. After all, how was she supposed to feel? Pinkie concentrated on the task at hoof. She had to use whatever abilities the potion had given her to find Rainbow Dash. Evidently she used the double Rainboom to travel to another dimension. What dimension was that, though? Pinkie rubbed her head to try to see where Dash was.

“Where’s Dashie?” She asked herself.

Her mind skipped over Equestria and she could see the whole of the universe before her eyes. She saw every cartoon from every network. She saw characters that looked a little like her only tan and fleshy. Among that strange crowd were especially fleshy ones. They didn’t have hooves. Their arms split off into five appendages, each bent in different ways than a hoof. It was disgusting.

Pinkie saw over all of the odd things, realizing that they met the description that Twilight had once described. They were humans. These were the strange things that Twilight spoke of.

Pinkie took her time looking at the figures before remembering the task at hoof. She moved on to the next dimension, staring through several other worlds to finally find the mare in another colorful universe.

Pinkie used her newfound powers to grab the multi-colored pegasus and bring her back to her own world.

Pinkie looked back on the event shortly after everything had been sorted out. She considered what would happen if she went back to the human world. She probably still had some of the talent enhancer left in her system. Pinkie closed her eyes and saw through the whole of space.

Pinkie looked at her friend’s old home. The humans all went to school with a lot more people than ponies did and brought many different devices that ponies don’t have.

Pinkie watched as the humans opened up the most mysterious of devices. The invention had a rough lower surface with many buttons. The other part stood perpendicular to it and glowed with many words and images. It was like nothing Pinkie had ever seen before.

The fingers of the strange creatures tapped on the buttons the devices and brought up many pages. She saw images of the humans wearing different clothing, singing strange songs and even some pictures that moved on the screen.

Pinkie examined the device closely, watching many people throughout the world press all sorts of different button combinations and the device would return with several articles and images.

“What else can it do this with?” Pinkie thought about the bent-plate structure before her.

Pinkie used her new abilities to look into the strange invention and see all of its contents.

Kevin nodded as Twilight finished telling him what happened with Rainbow Dash and how they all got her back from an alternate dimension. How Pinkie had used the same potion as Rainbow Dash to travel through space to find her. Twilight had prepared a message to Celestia to tell her about what Rainbow had learned about the entirety of the experience.

“Where’s Pinkie now?” Kevin asked.

Twilight sighed. “I think she went home to Sugarcube Corner.”

Kevin shrugged as he went off to check on Pinkie. It seemed a large change to be able to see everything everywhere upon drinking a potion. Even if it was Pinkie Pie-in which case it seemed sensible one could be granted such an ability- it didn’t seem healthy that she should be able to do so. It could be a torturous experience to see everything in the universe.

“Pinkie?” Kevin shouted as his head became visible at the top of the stairs leading to Pinkie’s bedroom.

He cocked his head right to see if the mare was still alright.

The mare sat towards the center of the room with her mane positioned downwards. Her face appeared as though on the verge of tears, but would not let herself come to that point. Kevin was shocked to see the pain behind the sour expression, but to see that the gleeful pony had been holding back all of it. Almost all of it.

She gave the clear indication behind her eyes that she was in great pain, but only let a bit of it show on her depressed face.

Kevin walked the remaining few feet to the top of the stairs and then finally began to realize that he should say something.

“Are you okay?” he asked staring blankly at the mare with his easy to answer question.

“They… they think I’m crazy!” she said, still holding back an expression with enough pressure building behind it to break Hoover Dam.

“Who thinks you’re crazy,” Kevin responded before it hit him. Back in his world, everyone would make memes of Pinkamena and call her insane. It’s humans that think that she’s crazy.

Kevin gulped. He couldn’t help the opinions of others.

“Humans. They think that I’m crazy. They think I killed Rainbow Dash. I risked everything making sure we all stayed alive, and they think I was the one that did it. Pinkie sniffled, one tear fell from her eye.

The amount of pain still lingered behind her face, but the tear having fallen out, didn’t seem to release any of the building stress of her painful expression.

Pinkie began toward the stairs, completely ignoring Kevin before the window to her room crashed open.

“Sorry!” came an immediate response from the blonde mare across the room.

Quickly, though Derpy got up and rushed towards the two, which if each were to share the amount of pain between them, each would be about ready to cry.

“Guys, we need to go, quick! Bellus is…” She started shouting before being interrupted.

“Derpy, we need to carry this conversation out for a little bit. Pinkie, please, you’re not crazy, we all know you’re not. Don’t believe them,” Kevin spoke.

Derpy finally caught on to the conversation at hoof and pitched in.

“Yeah, Pinkie, I’ve been called stupid, and screw-up and… all sorts of hurtful things, but you can’t let it get to you, you need to trust yourself that you know you are who you are.”

“Yes, but how can I help it, if they think I’m crazy?” She responded, greatly whined.

“That’s not a problem. Most of them love you. I understand it can be hard to just take that those people hate you, but the far majority of the people in that world that know about you think that you’re great! You’ll see, just look!” Kevin exclaimed at Pinkie.

“I can’t, though. The potion wore off just before I saw anything beyond that,” Again came the denial of the pink mare.

Kevin was flustered, before he finally managed his reasonable response.

“Well… then... whatever they say doesn’t matter. We love you and we think that you’re the best a friend could ask for.

Pinkie smiled, and let her tears fall, before giving each of the pegasi before a hug. The tears ran and soaked into the two ponies’ coats.

The door to sugarcube corner burst open on the main floor, and a tired looking, sweaty doctor rushed up the stairs and saw the scene at hoof.

“Derpy! I sent you here to tell them about the…”

He paused, deciding to tell them in a more pleasant tone.

“Tell us what?” asked Kevin, backing out of the hug.

The Doctor swallowed hard.

Author's Note:

Based on “Double Rainboom” by: FlamingoRich

Comments ( 3 )

Nicely done! I'm . . . not sure why you gave this fic a romance tag, but . . . okay.

Good ending. I'm a little sad that the story wasn't able to build enough to lead to your usual "mind-blowing, recalibrating world-view, rethink my whole life" type of an ending, but still good.

Short but really good wish there was more though.

5973930 Thanks, there was a book before this. I remember you commented on the original. Thanks:raritywink:. Other than the first book in the series, there's two others if you wanted to take a look at those.
Thanks, though.

Login or register to comment