• Published 11th Mar 2015
  • 27,690 Views, 2,191 Comments

I Am Going To Save And/Or Destroy Equestria! - Bucking Nonsense



In an Equestria where Celestia and Luna have slain each other, a human is brought to Equestria in the body of King Sombra, in hopes that he might be able to save the kingdom from the fiends of Tartarus...

  • ...
91
 2,191
 27,690

PreviousChapters Next
Interlude: I Am Free To Map Out My Own Destiny

Author's Note:

Be warned, if you've not read Fiendship Is Magic, Issue 5, then you're going to get a couple of spoilers about the comic's origin on the changelings. Fair warning. Read on, or don't, but this character will be relevant later.

I have been called many things in my life, some of which cannot be repeated in polite company. In fact, there is a great deal of it that cannot be repeated, even in the most vulgar and obscene of company, to be honest with you. I have been called scum, dung, slime, freak, monster, vermin, fiend, aberration, abomination, and a thousand things far worse. The one I have heard the most often though, is 'changeling', and often in a way that is intended to be taken as an insult. It is a terrible thing, when the name of your own species can be made into a slur against your own species. It's even worse if you don't have a name to call your own.

I am a changeling. I was born because a squirrel threw a rotten acorn into a pond of polluted and foetid marsh water. Said pool was filled with the skeletons of ponies, unicorns in particular, and the tree that grew in that pool gorged itself on the mosquitoes which called that marsh home. Then, a wizard named Starswirl, while passing by, nailed a notice to keep away from the tree, suspecting that it was magical in nature. Had he been wiser, he would have used an axe, instead, and then burned the tree down to the roots. Instead, his nail cracked open the tree, and changelings were vomited out into this world.

I was not the first to come spewing forth from that foul tree. I was the last. Dead last. And that, perhaps, may explain why, unlike my siblings, I am different. Whatever foulness had inhabited that vile tree had run out by the time I had emerged, and instead, I was left, if not utterly uncorrupted, then less so than the rest of my kind. Perhaps I am wrong, and instead, there are others like me, and like me, they did not risk letting it show. Why? Because of our queen, may her black heart burst in her chest.

I will not tarry on the nature of the queen, for her flaws are the stuff of legend. She is vain, prideful, cruel, vengeful, and a thousand more things that I cannot put into words, as Equine has not the vocabulary to do her wretched nature justice. What I will say is that, if she were to suddenly keel over dead, right this instant, then the overall goodness of the world entire would be improved in a small, yet measurable, way. Instead, my kind is forced to follow her commands. And yet... as much as I despise her, I will not fault her for disloyalty: She may be the scum of scum, but she had watched over us, kept us fed. She leads from the front in battle, rather than watching from safety. Bah, I'll say nothing further. I despise her, as she is utterly despicable, but she was the only queen we had, and I suppose we could have had worse.

As I said, I am an aberration among a species of abominations: Where my kind are slavishly obedient, blindly loyal, and viciously cruel, I am perceptive. I am thoughtful, analytical, even artistic at times. However, that does not make me weaker than my kin.

My first memory, upon emerging from that black and twisted tree, was the face of another changeling. Before I could say or do anything, it hissed in my face with such malice that I had thought, for a heartbeat, that I faced a creature of a completely different species, a predator ready to lunge for my throat. My first instinct was to punch it in the face as hard as I could. This proved to be an appropriate response: There were, oh, about a dozen changelings who had failed the 'Hiss' test, and had, in fact, been so slain, their corpses left to fertilize the tree.

The queen's idea. She came out, dark, cruel, and hungry, and she wanted an army ready to follow her, a fierce and terrible army. She would accept no weakness, and anybuggy who was not ready to come out swinging did not deserve to live. I... suppose she might, in her own twisted way, have had the right idea: We were spewed forth into a world that did not want us. We were an abomination, an abhorred vileness to be feared and despised. The weak would not survive such an existence.

We do not age, we are absurdly resilient, and we do not sicken. Some among our number use this as proof that we are a superior species. I fear the truth is that not even death itself wants us. We exist outside the cycle of life, death, and rebirth, and when the sun finally goes out, when all other things have died, then we will be able to do naught but stare out at a dead and barren world until eternity's end, wishing for a death that will not soil itself with our ilk...

It was while nursing such black thoughts, a century and a score after my birth, and a few weeks after the sun and moon collided, that I first met... her.

The swarm and I were prowling through a settlement, hoping to find some vestige of life, a smidgen of love to feed upon. We were much too late, however: The fiends had come and gone, leaving ruin in their wake. Crunch the Stone Hound had been here, to judge by the statues we found, as had others, I suspect. It would be weeks, still, before Diretusk Subjugated the fiend, and in the meantime, the fiend did not hesitate to turn any pony he saw into stone. Even... even the foals, the colts and fillies...

I'm sorry, I need a moment... alright.

I had ranged far from the rest of the swarm, out on the outskirts of the village. It was quiet there, and if I looked away from the village, towards the forest, I could almost pretend I was alone, someplace peaceful. That is why, I think, I was able to hear her crying.

Surprised, I ventured towards the sound, and came upon a sad scene: A little filly, crying over a pile of stones. I quickly saw that these 'stones' were, in fact, the remnants of a group of petrified ponies who had been shattered. Likely, there had been an argument among the fiends, one that had come to blows, and in the fracas, the ponies here had become collateral damage...

She'd not seen me, thankfully, else this story might have gone much differently. I took cover, and considered my options...

If I collected her and took her to the queen, then the filly would be drained of love, and left weakened and defenseless against whatever else might come to the village when the sun went down. I might, I suppose, have received a reward from the queen, but that meant less than nothing to me. If I left her where she was, well...

I do, in fact, have a conscience. It was why, when in battle, I did my best to keep the harm I did to others to a minimum, and why I never took so much love that it left a pony crippled or permanently harmed. As a changeling, I had to do what I had to in order to survive. Life never gave us anything, after all. Still...

The idea of leaving a little filly, alone and defenseless, just did not sit well with me.

I took the shape of an earth pony, one whose overall appearance could be considered plain. A dull brown coat, a darker shade for my mane and tail, both unstyled and unadorned, but with bright green eyes, I looked like any mare in any village in the world. I noted a cloak that had likely come off of one of the ponies nearby, a bright green with a hood, with a clasp of silver, in the shape of an acorn. I took inspiration from that as I put it on, and gave myself an acorn cutie mark. I very quiety stole up to the little filly, and gently put a hoof against her mouth, holding her gently, but firmly, while stifling her cries.

"There are monsters in the village," I whispered in her ear, my voice gentle, and sweet, but not overly so, "and they may be upon us at any moment." I added, with a sincerity I did not have to fake, "I am sorry for your loss, but we cannot tarry hear. We must be away."

She relaxed, after a moment's hesitation, and then I felt her nod.

I whispered, "We're going to walk to the tree line over there, and then, as soon as we've passed out of sight, we run. Understand?"

She nodded, and we did just that.
--------------------------------------------------

Once we were far enough away from the village, we took a more measured pace until sunset, and then we made camp, although I insisted that we forego a campfire: The swarm avoided the forests these days, due to the slim pickings that we found there, but it was better to be safe than to be sorry. After all, the fiends might still be about.

As we laid down, and the little one snuggled under my purloined cloak for warmth, I asked her, "What's your name, little one?"

"Ginger Ale," she whispered. "You?"

"Acorn," I said simply. "Just Acorn." Changelings don't have names, barring the queen, and Acorn was as good a name as any. Besides, there had to be several dozen Acorns in Equestria: It is a painfully common name.

"Nice to meet you, Acorn Just Acorn," she whispered, and snuggled against me... then stopped. "You're hard," she said, surprised.

Sadly, changelings, when they change, can only project an illusion: We still remain an insectile thing on the inside. "Sorry."

"It's okay," GInger said, snuggling up again. "Mommy and daddy were soft, and that's why the mean doggy took them away." She sniffled, wiped at her nose, then said, "But the mean doggy won't take you away..." She paused, uncertain, and asked, "Will he?"

I smiled, and said, "He won't. I promise."

"Thank you." Ginger snuggled against me, and almost immediately went to sleep. I joined her soon after."
------------------------------------

We awoke to the sound of approaching hoofsteps. I felt a moment of panic, but it passed swiftly: Changelings would not have approached so quickly: For all our natural armor, we're surprisingly silent when on the prowl. There were also the distinctive wingbeats of a pegasus, and the ozone scent that follows a unicorn casting a spell. I looked up, and saw what appeared to be dozens of mares approaching...

"I told you that those were pony tracks," a unicorn said, brightly. She seemed familiar, and it took me a moment to realize why: She could only be Sparkling Sunset, Clover the Clever's apprentice. I, as did many changelings, kept up to date on current events, including potentially dangerous ponies. The apprentice of a powerful wizard almost certainly qualified as such. "And you said that there would be no survivors."

"Yeah," said a crystal pegasus flying beside her, "We only saw the filly's tracks. Why didn't we..." The flier paused, seeming to see me for the first time, and then focused her gaze on the clasp of my cloak. "Oh," she said, surprised, "A forester. That's why."

I'd not realized it before, but the cloak I wore had to have belonged to a forester, or at least the descendants of one: Foresters are rare these days, the ponies who venture into the deep forests in search of adventure and profit. A skilled forester can follow a dangerous animal for weeks, without being scented, and leave no trail when she walks, even in desert sand or swamp mud. Masters were said to be able to turn invisible in the forests, and could track a monster by the smell of its breath alone, even when it was upwind and a league away. As a cover, I suppose it worked.

I nodded, and said, "Aye. I came across Ginger's village yesterday," I said gesturing towards the little filly. "It was too late to save anyone else, and changelings were prowling the wreckage. We decided to run for it. I'm glad it's you who found us, and not Crunch or the bugs." I paused, and added, "But what are you doing here?"

The explanation was simple, and as soon as they mentioned their hope that, when Sombra was raised, he might be able to stop the fiends and fix the sun, I quickly became determined to join them in their quest: Unlike my kin, and my queen, I could look further than my next meal, and what I saw worried me greatly.

The sun, in its current state, could possibly go out at any time. The sun and moon colliding had never happened before, or course, so there was no telling how long things would remain as they were. No sun meant no food, and no food meant no ponies, or life of any kind. No life meant no love. I'm not stupidly evil like my kin, and while I am not, in all honesty, a good creature, I practice what I like to consider rational self-interest: Even if the sun wasn't at risk of going out, tt is a whole lot easier to gather love in a peaceful kingdom than it is in one like what Equestria was becoming. If Equestria was restored to peace and prosperity, then there would be love in abundance. Otherwise, even if the sun never went out, then the chaos, destruction, and strife that rocked the kingdom could render the land almost completely loveless. Changelings cannot die of starvation: An absence causes us to go into a state of hibernation instead. However, being hungry is no fun, and an eternity of starvation pains would not be fun at all. If I wanted to avoid that, I needed peace to return.

"I'll need to make sure you're a virgin, first," Sunset said as she pulled out a talisman from a small sack. In truth, it was a plain, colorless stone, but I could feel the magic in it. "Not that I don't trust you, but there was this one mare who swore up and down that she was one, but only because... well, you have to be pure in every way..." She blushed, embarrassed...

"The mare had been giving away 'Salt Licks' for five bits a pop," the pegasus, one Ladyhawke, announced in annoyance. "We had to sit her down and explain to her that, yes, in the mouth counts as well, even if you don't swallow. We need complete virgins, not technical ones." She blushed, but only slightly. If memory served, Lady had been a lieutenant serving under the famed Commander Hurricane until the final battle, and she had fled, under her commander's orders, the moment it became clear that the might of the Equestrian army meant nothing before the combined might of the fiends. Soldiers are an earthy lot, even the ones with wings.

I didn't have anything to fear in that department: Changelings, barring the queen, are neutral, neither male nor female.

"We... also have to make sure you're a pony," Sunset added nervously. "We had a diamond dog pretending to be a pony last week, using a disguise spell so she could join us. I didn't blame her for trying: The dogs have been having a harder time of it than most." Before I could raise any objections, Sunset quickly passed the charm over my head, and, as it began to glow green, she said, "Perfectly fine. My mentor turned this thing so that it would only glow for ponies who would qualify for the ritual. You're just what we need." Passing the charm over Ginger, and nodding as it glowed, she said, "It never hurts to check. So, if you two will come with us, we'll have numbers ninety-seven and ninety-eight. Ten more to go."

I suppose I was pony enough, and mare-ish enough, to qualify for the ritual. I nodded, and said, "I'm with you."
-------------------------------------

In the weeks between then and the performance of the ritual, I have been called many things: Forester, ranger, scout, seeker, friend, comrade, and in the case of one little filly, sister. I find that far more pleasant than anything else I've ever been called in my life as a changeling. I do not know how long this masquerade will last, but I have done my part to contribute. Sombra has risen, and as I watch him do battle with the fiend, I know that I did the right thing. A being with power like his could certainly set the world on its proper path.

I suspect, one day, the queen may notice my disappearance, and seek me out. Or perhaps not: She counts her subjects rarely, and shows little concern for individuals, looking more to our species as a whole. However, if she does seek me out, intent upon dealing out punishment, I will not be afraid. I will go to her with my head held high, confident that I have done at least one, no, two things that made the world a better place: I brought back King Sombra so that he can save Equestria, and I saved the life of a little filly. That is more than a changeling like I could ever have dreamed of...

And before Queen Chrysallis kills me, I swear to you, I will spit in that lanky nag's rutting eyes, and grin right in her face before she takes my head.

PreviousChapters Next