• Published 11th Mar 2015
  • 27,645 Views, 2,191 Comments

I Am Going To Save And/Or Destroy Equestria! - Bucking Nonsense



In an Equestria where Celestia and Luna have slain each other, a human is brought to Equestria in the body of King Sombra, in hopes that he might be able to save the kingdom from the fiends of Tartarus...

  • ...
91
 2,191
 27,645

PreviousChapters Next
Interlude: I Take Inspired Action To Keep My Creative Spark Alive

There are nine words that every pony in Equestria fears. They are words that have heralded nearly every great catastrophe that has ravaged the land, and some Equestrian leaders have actually tried to ban them from being spoken in public. They have been known to cause grown mares to faint, and the bravest of stallions to break down and cry. Alicorns have been known to turn pale at the merest whisper of these nine dreaded words. And yet, before the time of troubles began, they were words that were heard every other day in villages all across the kingdom.

"This is sure to get us our cutie marks!"

I never thought I'd miss the sound of those words, but it has been more than a year since I've heard them. In fact, it has likely been a year since any young group of colts or fillies have uttered that phrase. The death of our hope for the future has put an end to such things. The youth of Equestria currently have far greater concerns than finding out what their purpose in life is. Just staying alive these days is a trial. A year ago, I dreaded hearing those nine words, but now, I'd gladly rip the marks off of my own flanks and nail them to the wall to be able to hear them one more time.

My name is Petite Madeleine, and I am not a baker. Oh no, if you were to call me something as crass as that, I would take it as an insult. No, I am a pâtissière, a professional pastry chef... and I am, as some of my less refined comrades would put it, about as useful as a glass hammer. I've been able to do exactly two things to aid my fellow mares since I've joined the one hundred and eight: Bake bread and provide a drop of blood for the ritual needed to revive King Sombra. That's all, and I am sorry to admit that I'm not very good at baking bread with just the most basic of ingredients. I was a chef who cooked for the princesses themselves. Celestia herself complimented me upon my cakes, Luna once smiled while smelling the aroma of my financiers, and even Discord paused his shenanigans to try a bite of my gaufre. I have cooked for princesses, kings, and queens, and have crafted delights the likes of which most common ponies can only dream of. However, in order to work my culinary magic, I need a fully stocked kitchen, something that is woefully short supply these days. I can bake basic bread, but since it's not my specialty, my own contributions pale in comparison to that of those among our number who specialize in baking peasant bread.

Without a kitchen, I'm more or less just a pretty face. With a golden coat, pink mane and tail, and blue eyes, there were any number of stallions who would have pursued me. Now? Now I had nothing to offer except a drop of my own blood for what, at the time, I had thought an insane undertaking. I'd joined in, hoping that I'd find some sort of use along the way. Instead, the only thing I'd accomplished was baking bland bread...

A sort of slow despair had been creeping into my heart since the loss of the princesses. However, as the others examined the exhausted King Sombra, I began to feel hope once again.

"Are you sure he'll be alright?" Ladyhawke asked, concerned.

"His heartbeat is strong, he's breathing deeply and regularly, and he's not injured, at least as far as I can tell," Sparkling Sunset stated, raising her head from the sleeping king's chest. "He's exhausted, and with good reason, but he'll be fine after he's gotten some sleep, I think."

The archon, that faceless... thing that seemed to be the guardian of Sanctuary, said, "There are a number of sleeping areas that can be provided for his recovery. I will lead you to them."

I surprised myself by announcing, "And while you do that, I'll begin preparations for the celebration."

Lady and Sunset looked at me with matching looks of confusion, and asked, "What?"

"For the last year," I explained, "We've all suffered through hardships, watched our world get turned upside, and have been powerless to do anything about it. However, today, we've succeeded in our goal, the revival of King Sombra. We've secured Sanctuary, the fortress from which we will begin retaking our homeland. We've witnessed the defeat of a fiend, something that, before today, we would have all believed impossible. We've even seen Diretusk's army flee in fear. For the first time since the princesses fell, we have something worth celebrating. If there was ever a time to throw a party, it's now."

The two ponies paused, thoughtful.

"She's right," a voice said by my side, startling me. I looked over to see Acorn, the forester, who had somehow walked up beside me without making a noise. I'd make a comment about needing to put a bell on her, but that's been tried: She once, during our journey, had temporarily donned a jester's costume outfitted with over one hundred little jingling bells, and had proven to as stealthy with it on as she was normally. She can be so stealthy that I'd almost swear she wasn't Equine...

"Morale is important," Acorn continued, bluntly. "If we don't celebrate a victory like the one we've had today, then it loses its meaning. It's been a long, hard road, and we need to let everypony know, no, feel how important today was. A party is exactly what we need. Besides, even with this fortress up and running, it'll take a few days to get anywhere. I can't imagine anything better we could do with that time."

Sunset tapped a hoof against her chin, then nodded, and said, "Alright. I'll leave it to you to get it all done. How long will you need?"

"I'll need a few things to make a proper feast," I admitted, "and the rest of the day, and perhaps most of tomorrow, to get a proper spread prepared. Plus, our king needs time to finish his recovery. So, tomorrow evening, I think." I looked over at the Archon, and asked, "You said that there were food stores available?"

The archon nodded, and said, "After the King of Fools has been seen to, I will be free to bring you everything you will require, and I can also guide you to the kitchens."

Grinning, I said, "Good, thank you." I turned towards the assembled mares, I added, "And anypony who can cook, or just wants to feel useful, feel free to lend a hoof." Looking over at the fillies, I added, "And I'm sure there will be plenty for you little ones to do, as well."

The Archon nodded, and left, leading the other ponies bearing King Sombra away, leaving only myself and the cooking crew. When the archon returned, she led myself, and the other mares and fillies, to the kitchens. As we walked, I heard one filly whisper to one of the others nine words. Nine terrible, horrible, wonderful, beautiful little words.

"This is sure to get us our cutie marks!"

Perhaps our hope for the future is not as dead as I thought it was...

Author's Note:

Petite Madeleines are a baked sweet, known for a kind of seashell shape. Financiers are also baked sweets, shaped like a gold ingot, which is the root of their name. Gaufre are belgian waffles.

PreviousChapters Next