• Published 3rd Mar 2015
  • 2,958 Views, 224 Comments

Not another Pony in Equestria - Admiral Biscuit



A collection of short, random, vaguely comedic stories, for when an idea isn't worth a thousand words.

  • ...
7
 224
 2,958

Cherry Strudel's New Glasses

Liquid Diplomacy and Other Stories
Cherry Strudel's New Glasses
Admiral Biscuit

Cherry Strudel shifted in the uncomfortable chair while the optometrist leaned over him. He'd never had an eye exam before, even though he knew his eyes were pretty bad, and had been for a long time.

The whole thing had come to a head when his wife, Black Stone, had watched him walk into the back of a stopped wagon which he had mistaken for the saloon. He'd insisted it was an innocent mistake which could have happened to anypony; Stonie informed him if he didn't get glasses, that wasn't all he wouldn't be getting in the near future.

He capitulated immediately.

Luckily, Stonie's job with the railroad provided them with vision insurance, among other things. He'd seen all the paperwork, but the printing was too small for him to read, so he'd just nodded politely and said it was a great deal.

After suffering through the decidedly unscientific process of 'which looks better, this one or that one?' and eye drops which would leave him staggering home blinder than he'd been before, he was dismayed to learn that it would take a week before his new glasses would be shipped in from Canterlot.

But Stonie was happy, and in turn made him happy.

• • •

When the appointed day arrived, Cherry Strudel left work early to go back to the eye doctor's, where the new glasses were carefully fitted to his face. It was an agonizingly long process, made even worse by the brief tantalizing view he got of a perfectly clear, in-focus world, before the optometrist took the glasses back off his muzzle, made an adjustment, and then asked him if it was better than it had been.

Nevertheless, the process was finally complete, and Cherry practically skipped out in the street, admiring all the ponies he’d only known by their blurry outlines. He stopped in the middle of the street to read the signs on all the buildings—he knew they were there, but he'd never known what they said.

Corrected eyesight wasn't without its disadvantages, however. As he got close to home, he noticed that the paint on the picket fence surrounding their patch of dirt was peeling, something he'd never observed before.

A day's worth of work would fix that right up, though. He happily trotted into the kitchen. He could smell chilis cooking; no doubt Stonie was making him his favorite dinner.

He was halfway through the door when Black Stone turned around, greeting him with a broad smile. "I love your new glasses! How does it feel to be able to see the world clearly?"

Cherry blinked at Stonie. "Huh . . . I never knew you were a stallion."