• Published 3rd Mar 2015
  • 2,958 Views, 224 Comments

Not another Pony in Equestria - Admiral Biscuit



A collection of short, random, vaguely comedic stories, for when an idea isn't worth a thousand words.

  • ...
7
 224
 2,958

I Wasn't Prepared for This!

I Wasn't Prepared for This!
Admiral Biscuit

It was fall in Ponyville.

It was also fall in the rest of Equestria.

Many ponies considered autumn to be the best season. It really had a lot going for it. The days were still long enough for fillies and colts to tire themselves out playing before the sun set. For adolescent ponies, the cooler evening temperatures improved the quality of snuggling. The final fruits of farmponies' labor were harvested, feasted upon, and stored for the winter. Festivals abounded, from the Harvest Festival to the Running of the Leaves, and culminated in Nightmare Night festivities. The air was crisp and cool, and the prospect of snow was greeted with enthusiasm rather than apprehension.

For a young mare of Twilight's age, the fall brought another blessing: the end of her estrus cycle for a few blessed months. The cycle itself wasn't particularly annoying; rather, throughout the spring and summer, Twilight Velvet would hint in every single letter that perhaps it was time for Twilight to produce a grandfoal. (She had gotten a brief respite when she ascended, but two months later, the pointed hints were back.)

That minor blessing was only slightly offset by yet another biological change which struck all ponies during the fall: the Winter Coat.

When she had lived in Canterlot, the Winter Coat was promptly trimmed to a normal length. Spas and salons kept longer hours, and clothiers stocked their display windows with the latest in hat and scarf fashions. One's appearance, after all, was one of the first things a pony noticed, and being fluffy was a sign of poor hygiene.

Her first winter in Ponyville had posed her with a quandary.

The spa, of course, offered grooming services, and she and Rarity had spent hours there. None of her other friends had; by the time the pegasi had begun the Winter Snow Festival, Twilight came to the realization that A: most ponies in Ponyville didn't trim their winter coats, and B: she was bundled up in a hat, scarf, and padded saddle, while most of her friends wore nothing . . . and she was the one who was cold.

The next winter, despite Rarity's protests, she had let her coat grow naturally.

And now she was on the cusp of making a new discovery, she was sure. It was her understanding that as an alicorn, she embodied the strengths of all three tribes, and thus she could experience for herself how a pegasi felt the cold. True, her data points would be skewed, but any change would be significant.

She'd asked her pegasus friends, but she knew as well as anypony that personal opinions and feelings weren't particularly scientific. There was no way to quantify if the cold felt the same to Rainbow as it did to Applejack. Here, at least, she could observe if there was any difference.

Her left wing twitched, and she tilted her head back. She nibbled gently at the itchy spot, then her eyes widened in shock as a dozen lavender feathers dropped to the ground.

Twilight galloped down the stairs to her washroom and spread her wings in front of her mirror—there was a bald patch on the back of her left wing, and the corresponding feathers were loose on her right.

• • •

"Moulting?"

"Um. . . ." Fluttershy nodded. "It's perfectly natural. Your feathers need to be renewed." She took a sip of her tea. "Lots of birds do it, right after mating season. When food is still plentiful, since it takes a lot of energy to grow new feathers. You must have just come off your last cycle."

Twilight smiled weakly. "I thought I had caught feather flu."

"That's more of a summer disease."

“How long does it last?”

“Well, until all of your feathers have fallen out and you’ve grown new ones.”

“What!?!” Twilight looked back at her wings, where—she swore—another feather had come askew just to mock her. “You mean I’m going to have bald wings?”

“No, no.” Fluttershy reached forward and pet Twilight’s head with her hoof. “If you lost all your feathers at once, you couldn’t fly. You’ll lose them in patches. Some will fall out, and then they’ll grow back, then the next group will fall out, and so on.” She sipped her tea. “It’s not like when a snake sheds its skin.”

“Rragh!” Twilight reached back and grabbed the offending feather in her teeth and yanked it out of her wing. It hurt for a second, and then the pain was replaced with blessed, non-itchy relief. “Ptah.” She spit the feather on the floor. “How long does that take?”

“Oh, it’s usually over by Hearth’s Warming.”

“That’s almost four moons from now.”

Author's Note:

Story notes here.