• Published 8th Feb 2015
  • 269 Views, 3 Comments

Books over coffee - silentrock



Night loves his everything about his job except all the mares that pester him. But one mare may very well change his view on mares and maybe even the world.

  • ...
6
 3
 269

A chance meeting

Something about the café made Nightwave smile. Maybe it was the quiet of the customers, or maybe it was the smell of coffee. Coffee was one of his favorite smells rivaled only by the smell of fresh new books. The job also made sure he could always get the newest books whenever they came out. This job was perfect for night. Suddenly with a tinkle of the bell above the door and a chorus of mareish giggles made him cringe. Well almost perfect

“Hey night I think you have some visitors”, Latte the cream colored stallion smirked. He jerked his head toward of the group of mares. Night shot Latte a pleading glance. “Sorry night they come here to see you not me” latte jeered.

Night looked down in defeat and trotted over to the table with all the mares. ”Hey night glad I got my favorite server “Jade flashed her smile in a futile attempt to woo the stallion. Night would yell at her if he could but resorted to his only means of communication.

I’m not interested older mare now what do you want? Night scribbled on his note pad.

"I'm not sure what to get, any suggestions?" Jade batted her eyes in a blatant attempt at flattery.

Night rolled his eyes. Why me? The pen scrawled out the words onto his notebook, 'How about some water since you're so thirsty?'

Jade scoffed at night “How dare you if you’re going to be like that than me and my friends will just take four coffees with cream and sugar, to go

Night was more than happy to oblige as he brought the order to the counter. If only mares were more like books.

As night took the order to latte he shot a hoping glance at the clock. Half an hour until he could leave work and go and get the new Harry Trotter book from that little book store right around the corner. There was almost always a hundred ponies and the clerk at the store rarely said a word to night but was a complete and total slob it. But I was the only place that Night could afford to by the latest books the prices were cheap enough so that even a café worker could buy the most expensive book there . It was even worse the time they were selling that new Fifty Bales of Hay book. Night shuddered at the memory

“Night get you head out of the gutter and get those orders to your fan club” Latte jerked his head at the group of mares impatiently. The only thoughts that were on nights mind as he trotted was the new book he would be getting soon.

As he set the coffees down on the table he heard the groups of mares utter an insincere thank you. There rude attitude and no tip didn’t affect night to much. Nothing could ruin the anticipation of getting a brand new crisp book.

Night saw a hoof wave him over, as he walked towards the customer; out of the corner of his eye he saw three things. One Jade tripping, two a vintage copy of the first Harry Trotter book, three Jade’s coffee headed towards said book.

For a split second the world around night was slowed as he ran to stand over the book and protect it. If Night’s vocal cords worked he would have yelled in pain as the coffee cascaded over his back the heat singing his coat. He looked below him and saw the book was unharmed. That made the pain a little more tolerable.

“Oh my Celestia are you ok” a voice suddenly pounded against Night’s ear drums.

Expecting Jade night looked up but to his surprise there in front of him wasn’t jade but it was a Lavender alicorn. She seemed to be genuinely concerned so night shook his head yes as he saw jade and her friends leave the café.

“ Thank you so much sir I was just leaving and forgot my book” the lavender alicorn levitated the book out from underneath Night.”Oh my where are my manners my name is Twilight sparkle”

Night bowed than used his magic to grab his notepad and write My name is Night wave I am a mute that’s why I write in case you were wondering.

A small blush appeared on Twilight’s cheeks “ y-you don’t have to bow to me I’m just like every other pony” Twilight shook her head and the blush disappeared “Is there anything I can do to thank you for saving my precious book”

Night scribbled on his note pad Be more careful with your books

Some ponies might have been offended but Twilight let out a small giggle “I can certainly do that oh and if you ever need any books I run a library that has all sorts of books. If you ever swing by my library I will let you keep a new and fun book for free, which reminds me we are getting the latest Harry Trotter book today. I need to hurry”

Twilight stuck out her hoof for night to shake. Night grasped her hoof and shook it firmly as she walked out of the café.

“Forget it dude she is out of you league. Don’t go for the princesses many stallions try and get their hearts broken” Latte chuckled

A flame suddenly lit up in Night’s cheeks as he quickly scribbled; I’m not trying to get with her I only care about the books.

“Sure Night sure” Latte held back a large grin.

A familiar chime echoed to let Night know that it was time for him to get off work. As he hung his apron up he made sure to grab his time card and punch out.

He waved to Latte as he walked out into the crisp evening air and began to trot home. He then remembered Twilight’s words. Her library wasn’t too far away so Night began to trot towards the library, a new book and maybe just maybe a new friend

Author's Note:

Thanks to Bluegrassbrooke for helping me with the beginning and even writing these lines

"I'm not sure what to get, any suggestions?" Jade batted her eyes in a blatant attempt at flattery.
Night rolled his eyes. Why me? The pen scrawled out the words onto his notebook, 'How about some water since you're so thirsty?'

Also updates will random thanks for reading.

Comments ( 3 )

Decent start at a story. However, there is a mighty need for a proofreader and editor. The lack of quotation marks where needed, lack of capital letters to start a sentence, and the beginning of the story randomly going place to place made reading the story a bit hard. If you haven't already, you should read works by Pen Stroke or BronyWriter; they're pretty good at what they do.

All-in-all, not a bad plot from what I've read so far, but you should work on the kinks of grammar and spelling.

May you write on in the future! ~ Unstable Imagination

You need to proofread your story before posting.

The enter key is your best friend.

Login or register to comment