• Published 6th May 2012
  • 751 Views, 8 Comments

Why We Fight - Shysoldier94



Equestria is under attack and Lightning Jackson will soon learn the effects and concequences of war.

  • ...
 8
 751

All Is Forgiven

Why We Fight
Chapter 2- Decisions With A Consequence
Edited by: LuMe

May 8

The sun began to shine through the curtains illuminating the room. I slowly opened my eyes and lifted my head when I noticed that I was on the floor of my bedroom. I slowly rose to my hooves and examined the mess on the floor. My beating bag was on its side a few hooves away along with the chain from when I lost control last night.

I took a few steps and a slight sting emanated from my front hooves. Taking a quick look at them I realized that they were scuffed rather badly and noticed a few blood patches.

I sat on my haunches and rubbed my eyes. A slight pain began to arouse from my neck.

“I did this for us!..... why don’t you understand?..... of all the ponies in the world I thought you’d be proud of me and understand why I did this!...”

Those words…those damned words that flown through my mouth at such high volume towards Summer began replaying in my head like an old record player.

I attempted to shake off the thoughts and rose to my hooves. I started to head towards my door slowly as the muscles in my legs and neck began to ache.

I stepped into the bathroom and turned on the shower. Once the water turned warm, I stepped in. Immediately I bent my head under the stream of warm water and allowed it to run down through my mane and down my back. Sitting on my haunches I adjusted my position to let the water flow over the rest of my body. I unfurled my wings and soon began to feel my muscles relax.

After what seemed like an eternity, I turned off the shower head and began to dry off. I soon began to notice a scent of what seemed like pancakes emanating throughout the bathroom. It traveled around the room with such radiance that it made my stomach began to sound like the growl of a Manticore.

I exited the bathroom and headed down the stairs and into the kitchen. I noticed my dad in his usual spot on the end of the table reading his newspaper with a plate of pancakes in front of him.

He lowered it and met my gaze. “Mornin’ son.” He said

I didn’t say anything but just lightly waved my hoof and sat down on in a chair next to him and lowered my head onto the table.

“Rough night, huh?” He said.

I nodded.

He sighed. “We got a call from Summer’s parents. They said they heard you yelling really loudly and when they went downstairs, you were gone and Summer was crying her eyes out.”

I raised my head slightly; my mane hiding my vision.

He folded his newspaper and set it onto the table. “We could also tell by the way you came home last night that something was wrong. We also heard you pounding really hard on your beating bag. Tell me what happened, son.”

I sighed deeply. “I went over to Summer’s house and told her that I enlisted in the Mareines like I said I was gonna do. And well I told her parents first and they went up to her room to tell her for me and she came downstairs and slapped me. I tried to tell her that I did this to protect her family and mine but she kept asking why did I do it and I just… lost it.” I lowered my head in shame and pressed my forehooves to my face.

I felt my father put his hoof on my shoulder. “Look son, I understand why you lost control but what you did wasn't the way to go. Believe me.”

I nodded. Even last night I realized that what I have done may have jeopardized what Summer and I had.

“Summer’s parents aren’t angry at you if that’s what you’re thinking but they do suggest that you go to her and talk to her.” He added.

I looked up and met his gaze. I felt a sudden reassurance from his eyes. I rose to my hooves.

“I’m gonna go talk to her.” I said. He nodded as I began walking towards the front door. “Oh and dad?” I said before I
continued any further.

“Yes?”

“Thanks for this; for giving me reassurance.” I said.

“That’s what I’m here for son. Now get on outta here, you have a young mare waiting to surprise.”

I smiled and headed for the door. I leaped off my cloud home and headed for Summer’s.



I landed softly on Summer’s cloud front porch and tapped the doorbell. A few moments later Mr. and Mrs. Wind answered the door.

“Oh, morning Lightning.” Mr. Wing said as he and Mrs. Wing stepped outside and closed the door.

“Mr. and Mrs. Wing, I don’t know how I could say how deeply sorry for the way I acted towards your daughter last night. I was under a lot of stress and I hoped that she would've understood why I did this and I just lost control..” I said and lowered my head.

“We understand, Lightning. We understand why you did what you did. It may have not been the good thing to do but we understand.” Mrs. Lightning explained.

“And you don’t have to apologize. But the only person you should apologize to is Summer. Ever since you left, she has cried nonstop. She has just stayed in her room and held onto the photo of you two.” Mr. Wing added.

I sighed. “Permission to go speak with your daughter?”

“Yes, go on ahead she’s in her room.” Mrs. Wind said as she motioned for me to go inside. “We’ll be heading to town to give you two some privacy.”

“Thank you..” I whispered. I turned to the door and opened it. When I turned around to close it, I saw Mr. and Mrs. Wind take flight down towards Ponyville Market Square.

I closed the door and stared at the top of the stairs to my left. I took a deep breath and slowly made my way up the narrow case as my heart began to pound faster and harder as each step I took.

Once at the top, I turned to the right toward her bedroom door. Before I could knock, I began hearing muffled sobs inside. It’s what I couldn’t stand hearing was my fillyfriend crying.

I gathered up any courage I had left and lightly knocked on the door.

“Go away..” I heard her say softly.

“Summer it’s….Summer it’s me. Can I come in?” I asked almost in a whisper.

Silence. After about thirty seconds I lightly opened the door and peered inside. I caught sight of Summer sitting beside her bed holding a picture frame.

I walked inside and closed the door behind me and began walking slowly towards her.

“Summer please, I just wanna…” I began but stopped when she moved slightly to avoid eye contact.

I sat on my haunches just a few hooves away from her.

“Summer I’m sorry. What I did… I never should have done it. The stress of all of it just got too much for me and I just lost control. I’d understand if you didn’t want to talk to me ever again..” I said. She continued to remain silent.

I gently lay my hoof on her shoulder. I was expecting her to attempt to shoo it off but she allowed me. I felt a tear in my eye as it fell down my cheek. I rose to my hooves and began walking back to the door.

“I’m sorry too.” I heard her whisper. I turned around and noticed that she still remained in the same spot. “I shouldn’t have hit you.. I just couldn’t believe that you would want to do such a dangerous job like that. Especially with what’s going on right now in Manehattan. I was afraid that if you are sent off to fight… you might never come back..” She said as she began sobbing.

I quickly sat down by her side and wrapped my hooves around her shoulders. “No no no, you know I wouldn’t let that happen to me. I will return back and we’ll be together like we’ve planned.”

She sniffed. “I’m just afraid I’ll lose you.”

She lay her head on my shoulders. “You won’t lose me, Summer….. you won’t lose me.”

I let her cry into my shoulders to relieve the pain she was endearing. I couldn’t blame her. With what’s going on in Manehattan, and depending on how bad it is, I’d never know if I’d even come back home. But I decided not to say anything more on the subject.

I sat with her in silence while she cried. It was about ten minutes before her sobs subsided. She slowly leaned up and hugged onto the picture frame she had been holding.

“What’s that?” I asked.

She sniffed. “It’s that picture we took last year at the Summer Sun Celebration.” She lightly chuckled as glanced back at it. “We are so adorable in this picture…”

I glanced at the picture. It was indeed Summer and I at the Sun Celebration. It was the photo of when I snuck a kiss on her cheek before she took the picture. She had the most adorable smile.

Summer turned and looked at me for the first time since last night. Her eyes were red and puffy from a long time of grief. Although we had forgiven each other, I still felt terrible for what I did.

“So… when do you have to leave?” She asked.

“In a few weeks. Steel and I have to leave June 15 and we stay at a hotel for a night and then we go on a train to boot camp and arrive at 2 a.m. in the morning on June 17.” I replied.

“Oh.” She replied.

“Don’t worry. Steel and I will watch over each other. We’ve decided to do this together because we made a vow.”

She kissed my cheek. “I believe you. I’ll miss you while you’re gone.”

“I won’t be far away. I may not be with you physically, but I’ll be here in your heart. Always.” I replied.

We gazed into each other’s eyes and I noticed her eyes tearing up.

“I love you, Lightning.” She said.

“I love you too, Summer.” I replied and gave her a reassuring kiss that showed her that everything will be alright.

It will be only a few weeks before Steel and I will be going through hell in boot camp.

Comments ( 2 )

It has been a long time but I was finally able to start working on this. I hope everyone enjoys because later on the story will get much much deeper and darker. :twilightoops:

Keep writing, PLEASE!!!!!! I love this story so much! I can't wait for the next upload! :pinkiehappy:

Login or register to comment