• Published 4th Feb 2015
  • 6,227 Views, 551 Comments

Friendship is Life - alejin



After managed to keep living, Alex is back to have more adventures in Equestria and try to find out if he wants to stay or not, welcome to Friendship is Life!.

  • ...
24
 551
 6,227

Chapter 23, I don't deserve a Happy Ending

After finishing writing in her diary, Lyra went to sleep. Oblivious to her, in the nearby hospital, her human friend opened his eyes. He stood up from his bed; he was feeling really good after the ponies had taken care of him during the past days. Luckily for him, nopony had noticed him working out. His body needed to be in good condition to do what he had planned.

After making sure nopony was outside his room, he locked the door from inside and made a rope with his bed sheets. He opened the window and started his way out. Using all of his abilities to hide himself in the dark, he had no trouble reaching his destination: Carousel Boutique.

He slowly opened the door and went up to his room. He was shocked at the sight of his room after opening the door; the place was clean and ready for its guest. His television, videogames and comics where there, clean and carefully placed inside the room. He walked in and noticed a mannequin wearing his armor; weapons and Metapendant where there. It was obvious that his friends had cleaned the place for him. He felt happy, but he had made up his mind already. He took some of his clothes and weapons and stored them inside his back pack. He grabbed his Metapendant and put it inside his pocket. After putting his armor on, he remembered there was one last thing he needed to do.

Carefully walking through the dark hall, he arrived at the desired room. He opened the door and saw her; peacefully sleeping, one of the most adorable and beautiful things in this world: his sister. He looked at her for a couple of seconds, careful not to make any noise, he smiled.

“Good bye sister” he whispered before leaving her room.

Alex went into the kitchen to take some apples and leftovers from the fridge. While looking at the food, he felt something touching his feet. Opal was looking at him with a tender look on her face.

“Hey beautiful!” he said in a quiet tone.

“Meow”

“Sorry I haven’t been around but some things happened and well, I’m afraid I have to leave Equestria.” Opal looked at him, her eyes were the ones of a sister telling his brother he was doing wrong “Sorry but I can’t, I just can’t here anymore. This world has no room for me…”

“Meow. . .”

“No, I don’t think we will meet again. Please take care of Rarity and Sweetie Bell for me, will you? They are very important to me!”

“Meow!”

“That’s my girl” He said before carefully placing her on the floor. He got out of the house. After a couple of steps, he realized something “For a second I believe I actually understood what that cat was telling me. I must be going crazy! ”

Again, he used the night to cover his way back into the Everfree Forest. According to Luna’s calendar, the next meteor shower was in two weeks. He needed to last long enough until the day he left, in order for everything to be fine in Equestria again. Just a few steps before going into the forest, he took a last glance at Ponyville.

“Good bye everypony. I am really sorry for stepping into this place. Please forgive me…”

- - - - - - - - - - -

The next two weeks were really hard for him. He had to move to a new location every day. Obviously the first place they were going to look for him was the Sister’s old castle. One day, the group arrived at the place, Rainbow Dash was close to tear the whole place down, Applejack brought Winona to help them but he managed to lose their track by crossing the River. He had to admit it, if not for his Manticores friends, the Sea serpent and Zecora’s help, it would have been possible for him to remain hidden during all this time. Convincing the first two wasn’t big of a problem, Zecora by the on the other hand was really difficult; but after he told her everything that had happened and seeing the desperation in my face, she agreed. However, she keeps telling him he was making a huge mistake.

Now he was there, inside the cave where he left his truck. Thank God it’s located in one of the most dangerous places in the Everfree Forest. Being honest, he wouldn’t be here if it wasn’t for the Manticores guarding the place.

After a good sleep and knowing it was almost time, he grabbed all of his stuff, said his respective goodbyes to his furry friends. The Manticores hugged him very tight and proceeded to go back to their homes. Alex started to run very fast, the last thing he needed was to attract any unwanted attention. After some minutes, he finally reached his destination: the Big Oak Tree. There was a peaceful feeling around it. He started to believe this was some kind of sacred place; he touched the tree and smiled.

“Here I am old friend, for a last time. I never said it and I don’t know if you can understand me but before I go, I want to thank you for bringing me here. Even after what happened, I have beautiful memories of this place; I really thought this could be my home, but I guess… shit happens. I came here alone and that is exactly how I’m leaving, except for the fact that my will is broken, along with my dreams of happiness. Damn it! I’m a broken man . . . a pathetic person. However, someone really important to me gave his life to keep me alive. So I’ll keep on living to show him my respect.”


Talking to a tree didn’t look very smart. However, it made him feel better.

“Well, it was fun to talk to you, now please take me home. I’ll handle the rest.”

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Alex waited for one hour. He knew it was almost time, he was ready; once the portal appeared, he would cross it and he would make sure to take the down the other tree in his world. He couldn’t risk other humans from finding this portal. Princess Celestia trusted him that information and he would be loyal until the end.

It was the correct date and time, but nothing had happened. He looked at his watch and started getting a little nervous “Why hasn’t it happened?” Another couple of hours passed “Damn it! It is her, why did I have to tell her!” Alex pulled his hair and started screaming:

“DAMN IT! YOU HAVE TO BE FUCKING KIDDING ME PRINCESS CELESTIA!”

He didn’t care about waking up the Timberwolves. He needed to let it out; screaming was making him feel better. Suddenly, he could hear some voices.

“Hey guys! I think it came from here! C’mon! Remember it’s our only chance!”

Alex immediately recognized the voice; it was Rainbow Dash “What is she doing here? How did she find out? Damn it! Of course! Celestia knew I would be looking for this place on this day!”

They were looking for him. Alex looked up he saw some Bat Royal Guard ponies and Sun Royal Guard Ponies flying above. There were dozens of them.

“Stupid! Stupid of me! She read me like an open book!”

Alex immediately ran away. The last thing he needed was for them to know where the portal was; he heard hooves coming his way and jumped into a bush, hoping for the best. After a couple of seconds, he saw them. The Mane 6, Spike and Princess Luna.

“What now girls? Has he escaped again?”

“Don’t worry Applejack, we will find him. Many Guards are surrounding the area. Shining Armor has casted his shield spell too, they’re covering almost one kilometer in every direction. There is no way he can escape! He will come with us, whether he wants it or not!” The group agreed, except for Fluttershy. She remained silent.

The group reassumed the search. Thankfully, they walked in the opposite direction. Alex got out of his hideout and ran away from them, he knew how strong Shinning Armor’s barrier was, but he had broken it before by using Darkness Stone.

After running for some minutes, he finally reached the barrier. He was expecting it to be pink like the other ones but this time, it was red. It didn’t matter, it was a magical barrier anyway; he put on his Darkness Stone knuckles and delivered a powerful punch to it. However, this time the barrier didn’t crack open. Alex broke his hand trying to break this barrier. He carefully looked at the barrier again, only to notice that there were two auras protecting it, not one.

“Of course! Shinning and Cadence casted this spell together, I’m an idiot for not noticing this before.”

Alex fixed his hand the best he could. There was no way he could climb trees like these. It seemed he had no option; it was only a matter of time for them to find him, he sat down next to the barrier.

“Well, there is nothing else I can do. I think it’s time for me to give up…”

He closed his eyes and couldn’t help the tears from coming out of his eyes. It was then when he heard the sound of hooves coming his way, he raised his head and saw her; his eyes widened, out of all the ponies, it had to be HER. Princess Celestia approached him without saying a single word. They were at inches away from each other.

Celestia’s horn glowed bright casting a spell on Alex’s hand and healing it immediately. She casted another spell, surrounding them both. He was expecting to be teleported where everypony else was, but they were remained in the same place.

“I casted a spell that will hide us from everypony else. You have fifteen minutes to talk.”

Celestia didn’t take her eyes off Alex, looking at her friend like this broke her heart. There was no hope in his eyes. He looked at her with a smile on his face and said:

“Ok your highness, what you want to talk about?”

“Your highness? Alex, you know you don’t have to refer like that. We are friends!”

“Friends? Why would you want to be the friend of a scum like me?”

“It seems you haven’t improved since you left the hospital.”

Alex looked down. The tone of her voice was strange “I’m just telling the truth.

“The truth, according to you. Alex, I need to hear it from you; why did you escape? Why did you try to leave Equestria without telling us?”

“Why should I tell you about everything I want to do?”

“Because I am ordering you to do so! If you are not talking to me as a friend then you have to answer my questions as I am the ruler of all Equestria!”

Alex felt the powerful aura of the Princess “Ok Princess, I did it because I finally realized there is no place here for me anymore. Many have suffered because of me; I brought death to this place. I’m pretty sure sooner or later somepony will die again if I stay. I don’t care about that stupid Minotaur; however, he had the last laugh. All the world hates me and they will hate anyone that stays close to me too, I can’t. I can’t put anyone else in danger. If I have to fall, I will fall alone, that’s why I want to leave this place and be away from all of you. It hurts so much to feel this way. But I have no other choice. I HATE THIS PLACE!”

Celestia was shocked; was this human the same one? She started to cry. She regretted her decision of asking him to compete in the tournament. She didn’t care about the things Bright Courage said; she knew Alex, she knew how kind, strong and loyal he was. But his human standing in front of her was different, he was broken and empty. She knew she had to choose her next words carefully:

“Alex, sometimes we don’t get what we want. You don’t want anypony to love you or care about you, that’s impossible! I love you, we all love you and you can’t stop us from doing so. I’d like to tell you this is the last time something painful will ever happen but that’s not how life works, you know that right?”

Alex was crying.

“Alex if it was in my hooves, I would bring you back to Ponyville and try to help you in any way possible, but I know that it would do nothing. You’d just escape again. Tell me Alex, what do you really want to do? What does your heart desire?”

Alex looked at her for a couple of seconds. He would have liked to say he wanted to stay in Equestria, but the pain was still inside him. Being honest, he didn’t want to see them, not like this. He knew very deep in his heart, he needed to spend some time away from them to get things right within himself “I want to go back to Earth, being here in Equestria is hurting me so much!”

Princess Celestia wasn’t surprised. Somehow, she was expecting this “Very well my human friend, let’s take you home…” Alex was surprised, there weren’t any sweet words or any attempts to try to convince him to stay “Really?!” was everything he managed to say.

“As I said, I believe staying here will do nothing for you. Friends are important, but there are journeys where you have to go all by yourself. All I can hope for is your return…”

“Princess Celestia, are you going to cast the “Back to the start” spell on me again?”

“No my friend, this time we’ll do it your way” The princess turned her face away from him.

“My way, what do you mean?”

Celestia took something out of her mane. It was a pendant; white, cyan and pink colored, just like her mane. She used her magic and the object floated on the air, landing on his hands. He looked at it for some moments before the Princess spoke again:

“That pendant has a big portion of my magic; remember you said that the portal needed a potent magic to be opened? I believe I don’t need to explain why I gave it to you.”

“Celes… Princess, are you giving me a “key” to come back to your world whenever I want to? I don’t get it, aren’t you afraid I might use for evil?

Celestia got close and surrounding him with her wings said:

“Yes I am but I’m willing to take the risk!”

“I don’t know what to say. However, I don’t know if I will ever come back here.”

“I am aware of that” she said “But we must never lose hope!”

Alex looked at the artifact again while wiping his tears “I really wish I could say goodbye to my friends…” A bright light made him close his eyes. When he opened them, a quill and a scroll were floating in front of him “use these” the Princess said.

…………………………….

After searching for many hours, everypony was exhausted. Luna didn’t want to stop, but the lack of sleep was starting to catch up. The group gathered in the indicated place. All of them looked disappointed because no one had been able to find Alex. After a moment, Princess Celestia arrived at the place.

“Sister!” Princess Luna said “Did you find him?”

“No, and I don’t think we will ever find him” She looked so sad. Everypony was shocked after hearing her words “What . . . what do you mean?” Princess Luna asked.

“Look at this” Princess Celestia gave her a scroll. Luna took it and started reading it.

“My beloved friends,

I found a way to open the portal without the Princesses help. By the time you read this, I will not be in Equestria anymore. I’m sorry but I have to act like a coward and run away, please forgive me. I’m too depressed and I really don’t want to make you waste your time trying to cheer me up, I know it’s wrong, I now this will disappoint you. But I ask you to please respect my decision.
Please tell Fluttershy I love her. But I am not good for her, I know somepony else will give her what she deserves.

Spike, keep training. I know it’s hard to listen to a coward like me asking it, but please do it. Sweetie Belle, I’m sorry for being a useless brother, I know I disappointed you but there was nothing I could do.

Celestia, thank you for making me an Equestrian, it’s the greatest honor a human could wish for.

I am truly sorry it all had to end up like this. I keep you in my heart and in my mind.

Alejandro

…………………………..


Nopony could believe the words they heard. Spike asked the Princess to give him the scroll in order to read it. However, Princess Luna wasn’t that convinced about this letter.

“It can be a fake! How can be sure he is back in his world?”

“Because, I found this next to it” Princess Celestia replied.

Celestia gave Luna one of Alex’s hidden blades. Everypony wondered how this was a proof that Alex was no longer in Equestria. Princess Luna tried to cast a spell on it but nothing happened, after trying for a couple of times she gave up and shared some tears “He is gone…”

“Why are you so sure about that Princess Luna?” Rarity asked. Celestia was the one to answer “Luna casted a spell that would make this object shine if the owner was still in Equestria… but as you see… He is no longer in this world.”


Fluttershy didn’t want to accept it. She couldn’t believe he was gone “Please show me how the spell works!” She asked. Princess Luna grabbed one of Spike’s weapons; after casting the spell, it started to shine. Fluttershy closed her eyes “I see…”

……….

The park was empty. Everything was dark, only the moon was shining bright on sky. Suddenly, something on the ground started to shine; brighter than the moon, the Oak Tree was glowing intensely. A door to unknown places was open and a human emerged from it. This human was holding a pendant in his hand. After coming out of the magical door, he put the pendant in his pocket.

He looked around and immediately recognized the place. Feeling guilty running away; but he knew this was the best for that beautiful world, the best for his friends, for his loved one, for everypony. He took a deep breath and started his way back home, his way to a boring life; he turned around and looked at the oak tree, one last time.

“Goodbye everypony, good bye Fluttershy… I, I love you.”

SEASON FINALE

Author's Note:

Well . . . we finally reached the ending of the first season, I hope you liked it. My editor and me will have a little break to relax and think of new ideas but I promise more will come.

I want to thank you all for your support and after so much hate in its start, my first story "keep living for friendship" reached 200 likes, thank you very much.