• Published 8th Jan 2015
  • 915 Views, 11 Comments

You Hurt Me - jl7895



Octavia and Vinyl have a talk a year after their relationship ended.

  • ...
8
 11
 915

I Am Octaiva

Vinyl missed her. She missed her more than she has ever miss anyone before. There was nothing Vinyl Scratch would love more than to hold her close again and give her the biggest kiss anyone has ever given anyone else. She missed the days when they would just hold hands and stay up all night talking. She could just listen to her beautiful voice all day. She even missed her playing the cello. Normally, Vinyl couldn’t stand classical music. If she had her way, Vinyl would remix every single classical song out there and add in her own kick. Her music was different. It was the only music that can make her smile one note and cry the next. Vinyl would give anything to get her back.

Tonight, however, was her chance to see her again. Octavia was going to be on Tonight in Equestria, a pop-culture news show that Vinyl would usually stay away from. Octavia was going to play a few songs and do an interview on national television. Vinyl couldn’t wait until eleven tonight and nothing was going to stop her from watching the program. She cleared her schedule, turned off her phone, and made sure that no one was going to bother her.

10:58. The show was going to start soon. Vinyl opened a soda and took a seat on her couch. Normally, she would have to be at least buzzed when she Octavia made her watch these shows, but she wanted to be completely sober when she heard that beautiful sound. She was almost shaking with anticipation. Finally, after a long year, she was going to see the woman she loves again.

“Tonight in Equestria,” the show’s narrator said, “model, Fleur de Lis gives us her secrets to the perfect figure. Party planner extraordinaire, Cheese Sandwich’s top 10 party must haves. Sexiest man alive, Trenderhoof tells us what’s hot and what’s not. And finally, musician and song writer, Octavia Melody sits down with us as she prepares to release her first album.”

“God, I need a beer,” Vinyl said to herself.

The show was just as awful as she remembered it. It was just a bunch of people in heavy amounts of make-up talking about shit no one cares about. Vinyl didn’t need to hear about the “secrets to the perfect figure”. She could throw an amazing party without Cheese Sandwich’s help. And Trenderhoof is the most pretentious piece of shit there is.

“How can Tavi sit through this sober?” Vinyl asked herself. She was tempted to run to the fridge and grab a beer, but the narrator said Octavia was coming up after this commercial break. Just five more minutes and she gets to see her again.

The commercials were the best part of the hour. At least some of them were entraining or laughable. Her favorite was the Jack in the Box commercials. They were usually clever and could always make her laugh. In fact, after watching the one for the Philly cheesesteak sandwich, Vinyl would go around the house shouting “Yo, Tavi!”

“Ladies and Gentlemen,” the host of the show said to the camera, “here is Octavia Melody playing her song I am Octavia.” The audience clapped as Octavia stepped into a spot light.

She was just as beautiful as she remembered. Her lovely, long, black hair looked perfect. Her cute little nose and small mouth made her look all the more beautiful. Her skin looked as soft and pale as she remembered it. The most beautiful part of her was her eyes. She missed waking up every morning to see those mulberry eyes watching her. She missed how expressive they were and how happy they looked when she smiled. She wished Octavia was smiling right now instead of the somber look.

Vinyl considered muting the TV. She knew the song was about her and it killed her to know that she hurt Octavia that much. She really screwed up that night and wished that she could go back and change it. She should have just blown off Neon Lights and gone straight to her show. She still plays that phone call in her head. She constantly thinks about all the different things she should have said.

“That was beautiful,” the host said. Vinyl didn’t realize that she missed the song.

“Thank you very much,” Octavia said with that beautiful voice of hers.

“I have to ask the question that is on everyone’s mind. Who is that song about?”

“Out of respect for that person, I will not reveal their name. They do know who they are and I hope they know how they feel.”

“Okay, fair enough. Can you at least tell us what made you want to write the song?”

“Of course. I was about to preform one of my biggest shows in Ponyville. There were reporters and talent scouts and agents. This was the show that could have made me. I called this person to ask if they were coming to the show. They made it apparent that they would rather be at work when I really needed them there. I tried to keep myself together for the show, but I was an emotional wreck after the show. This person meant so much to me and they abandoned me. Then I just heard the lyrics and I could not make the song.”

“Wow. Are you sure you do not want to name this person?”

“Like the song says, I was born with class.”

“A lady all the way through. How did you make it here to Canterlot?”

“A friend of mine helped me. She gave me a home here and gave me the number for and agent. It turns out that agent was at the show. He loved me, but wanted something a little more. I played him the song and he got me in front of an audience within a month. I honestly owe everything to Twilight Sparkle.”

“What can we expect to hear on this album?”

“Some of it is instrumental and some of it is my own work. They were all songs I felt like I needed. If anything, this album is for me, but I do hope that everyone enjoys every song.”

“Well, I’ve listened to every song in the sneak preview your agent gave us. I love everything about it and I can’t wait for the rest. Thank you for coming and you are always welcome back here.”

“Thank you for having me,” Octavia said with a smile.

“That will do it for us here. Good night and have a pleasant tomorrow.”

Vinyl was in tears. She knew that she hurt Octavia, but she never knew she hurt her that much. She had to see her. Not on TV, in real life. Vinyl jumped from her couch and ran to her laptop. A quick Google search and Vinyl had a train ticket to Canterlot.

**********

Octavia was sitting in her green room. She had a smile on her face. The interview went way better than she expected. She honestly thought they were going to try and make her look like some sort of sex object or ask her about her love life. For once in a long time, everything was going her way.

Maybe breaking up with Vinyl was the best decision she has ever made. True, she cried for about a day when it happened, and yes she thought Vinyl was perfect for her, but everything has gone right since that night. Octavia is making her music and is having a great time doing it. She’s happier than she ever was with Vinyl and she’s even met someone new. He’s a new barista at a small coffee shop. They haven’t done anything yet, just smiled at each other, some idle conversation, and probably stared into each other’s eyes a bit too long.

“Excuse me,” an intern said poking his head into the room. “There is a Miss Twilight Sparkle here to see you.”

“Let her in please.”

Twilight and Octavia have become close friends since the incident. It started the day after the show. Octavia didn’t really know where else to go except for the one person she thought could help, Princess Celestia’s most trusted student. She came into treehouse looking for a shoulder to cry on. Twilight, who was ill prepared for this, was willing to listen. When Octavia said she had to get out of Ponyville and away from Vinyl, Twilight offered the house her family inherited from a distant relative. While hesitant at first, Octavia took Twilight on her offer and moved to Canterlot. After doing some research, Twilight got into contact with an agent that attended Octavia concert. She told him about Octavia’s new situation and he said he was interested.

“You were amazing,” Twilight said as she walked into the room Octavia stood up and gave her new friend a hug.

“I cannot thank you enough for everything you’ve done,” Octavia said as she let go.

“It was nothing,” Twilight said. “I’m sure if I was crazy talented musician who just broke up with her girlfriend and was looking for some place to stay, you would do the same.”

“Either way, this is long overdue.” Octavia walked over to a coffee table in the room and picked up an envelope. She handed it to Twilight, who was shocked to see what was in it. Inside was a check for a large amount of money.

“I can’t take this,” Twilight said trying to give the check back.

“It’s the least I could do. If I did my calculations right, this should be about a year’s worth of rent.”

“This is way too much for just a place to live.”

“You did more than just gave me place to live. You helped me get my career off the ground and I can never truly repay you for that.”

“Well, I guess I could give the money to my parents. Thank you, Octavia.”

Octavia’s phone suddenly went off. She glanced it and then put it back down with a look of disgust. It was a text from Vinyl. Octavia hasn’t said two words to her since that night. She didn’t have anything else to say. Everything she had to say, she said that night. Granted, she didn’t let Vinyl get closure, but she didn’t deserve it.

“What’s wrong?” Twilight asked.

“It’s her,” Octavia said. “She texted me.”

“Do you mind?” Twilight asked, sticking her hand out for the phone. “This is the first time in months that she’s contacted you. It could be important.”

“I guess someone should.” Octavia handed Twilight her pone and she started to read the text.

“‘Octavia,’” Twilight read out loud. “‘You were amazing tonight.’ I guess she watched the show. ‘I’m hoping you’ve forgiven me enough to at least read this. I’m coming to Canterlot tomorrow and I would really love to see you. Can we please met up? Please text me back.’”

“No,” Octavia said. “I never want to see her again.”

“You should at least give her a chance,” Twilight said. “She seems like she really wants to try and at least be friends with you.”

“Then why did it take her five months to try and contact me again. She obviously didn’t delete my number, so she had plenty of chances.”

“Maybe she was trying to get money together to come here. She did buy a train ticket just to come and see you. Might as well at least meet her half way.”

“I can’t Twilight. You saw me after what she did. I was crying so hard I could barely talk. Seeing her again is just going to bring up all those emotions.”

“Octavia, you got all the closure you need. You got the last word in your relationship and got everything off your chest. She probably needs closure too. Please Octavia.”

“Fine,” Octavia said after a sigh. “Tell her to meet me at café near my house at noon.”

“Thank you,” Twilight said as she started texting Vinyl back.

“Can you be there? I don’t want to do something I’ll later regret”

“Of course”

**********

Twilight and Octavia waited outside the café for Vinyl to show up. They had met earlier that morning, went to a diner to get breakfast, and walked to the café. The barista gave Octavia a kind smile and stumbled over his words. In return, Octavia blushed and giggled in the cutest way. With coffee in hand, the two women waited for Vinyl at a table outside the café.

“She’s ten minutes late,” Octavia said.

“She’ll be here soon. From what I’ve heard, this is the norm for her.” Within seconds, Vinyl showed up at the café.

“Hi Tavi,” Vinyl said, but Octavia didn’t say anything in return. “Hi, I’m Vinyl,” she said to Twilight.

“Twilight Sparkle,” Twilight said.

“I don’t mean to be rude, but can I talk to Tavi in private?”

“No,” Octavia said. “I asked Twilight to be here so I wouldn’t do anything stupid.”

“Okay. You look good, Tavi,” Vinyl said as she took a seat at the table.

“What do you want?”

“I wanted to tell you I’m sorry. I should have put you first and I will for now on. I just thought that the breakthrough Neon Lights and I made would have made me loaded. We could have bought a house, I would have gotten you a ring, and maybe enough to start a family. Everything I was doing was for us.”

“Is that it? That was just a bunch of excuses and you never said you were sorry. You just said you wanted to say you’re sorry.”

“I am sorry. I just wanted to make sure we had a future. I was going to go to all of your other shows and you know that.”

“No I didn’t Vinyl. You blew off so many of my shows and you knew how important this one was to me. I could forgive every other one, but not that one. And if you were going to come to all of the other shows, why didn’t you? I did a few shows in Ponyville and I didn’t see you at any of them.”

“I was working on something with Neon Light,” Vinyl said quietly to herself. “Octavia, I need you to understand that everything I do is for you. I wanted to make sure that you never had to work a day in your life. I wanted you to just play your cello and not worry about getting paid. Please Octavia.”

“I do understand that Vinyl, but I can’t forgive you. I don’t know how many times I told you how important that night was to me. I told you that I needed you there more than anyone else. I didn’t care if none of the agents or talent scouts came to the show. I just wanted you there. Listen to track six on my album. That song was going to be for you, but you never showed up. It’s about how much I loved you and how I never wanted to be with anyone else. I wasn’t going to put it out, but then I met someone else.”

“You met someone else?” Vinyl asked in a panic. “Who is she?”

“Hi Octavia,” the barista said as he approached the table. “I don’t mean to interrupt your conversation, but this is important. Do you want to get dinner with me tonight?”

“I would love to,” Octavia said with a smile and a hard blush.

“You know she’s a lesbian, right?” Vinyl said to the barista.

“Vinyl!” Octavia said. “I’m bisexual, not a lesbian.”

“Since when?”

“I’ve always been bi. I told you that on our first date and you said you were okay with it.”

“I think I would have remembered if you told me you were bi,” Vinyl said with some anger.

“I’m sorry,” Octavia said to the barista. “Could you please give us some space?”

“Of course. I have to go pick up some groceries, so I’ll pick you up at seven?”

“That sounds lovely,”

“He’s just wants in your pants,” Vinyl said when the barista was out of ear shot. “He’s probably one of those creeps that whacks it to little kid shows.”

“Vinyl!” Octacia shouted in disgust. “First, he’s a sweet, intelligent guy who takes care of his little sister. Second, why do you always have to do that? Anytime anyone showed me even the slightest bit of interest, you called them a pervert.”

“That’s because every man only wants you for your body. I’m the only person who truly wants you for you. We were made for each other and I want you to remember how you felt when you were with me.”

“At one point, Vinyl, I thought the same thing. I thought that we were meant to be together and for the longest time, I never thought about life without you. But now, that’s all I can see. I don’t think you understand how much you hurt me. I was a wreck after the show and I am Octavia is about me getting over you. I’m glad it became a hit because it give me strength. The more I hear it, the more I realize how we should have never been together and the first place.”

“You don’t mean that,” Vinyl said on the verge of tears.

“I do. I’m done talking to you, Vinyl. You have said nothing that makes me believe you’ve changed and I don’t think you ever will. We don’t to choose if we get hurt, but we do get a say in who hurts us.”

“Octavia…” Vinyl said with tears streaming down her face.

“I don’t have anything left to say,” Octavia said as she stood up. “Let’s go Twilight. For the last time, good bye Vinyl.”

“Wait Tavi. I love you,” Vinyl said through her sobs.

“You had your chance, Vinyl.”

Author's Note:

I don't really know why I wrote this. I was listening to songs on my phone, and then this happened. I was up all night writing it (because who needs sleep). The story was written in the course of four to five hours and my Octavia plushie was sitting in my lap the entire time.

I hope you enjoyed this and this and thank you for reading. If you didn't, then go ahead and tell me why. If you have come grammar/spelling issues, I would prefer if you sent them to me in a pm.

Comments ( 11 )

Always feel bad about Vinyl/Octavia break ups... cause they're one of my favorite pairings. But a good story you have here.

No offense to the person who wrote this but... Octavia is a bit of a bitch in this one. Has she ever been alone on new years eve? Nope probably not. Her boyfriend is fucking g pervert too and is a pick for knowing damn right that he's hurting vinyl by being together with octavia. Tavi and whoever the hell that other dude is are both douchbags in this one! That's all I like too say. I would say more but my tablet is being sort of an ass right now so.... ya

5481516
What the fuck are you even talking about? First: don't call someone a bitch. It's rude and demeaning to women. You could have said she was rude or nasty and it would have the same effect. Second: what does the new years thing have anything to do with the story? The author never mentions new years so what the hell? Third: how is the other guy a pervert? According to Octavia, he's a nice guy that looks out for his little sister.

Yes, Octavia was being rude to Vinyl, but Vinyl really hurt her. She wasn't being rude just for the sake of being mean. She was upset with her. And the other guy had no idea that those two were a thing. And if he did, then it's obviously over. If you had read anything else he has ever done than you would know that he trusts the reader and expects the read to look into what he's saying. Try it next time.

Okay first of all u dumb prick! I wasn't even talking to u. Plus I'm only 13 so maybe u should think about u say next time dumb ass! I'm a woman too u sexist basted! I can say the ever the hell I want so don't tell me what to do, and it's a joke! Can't u take a joke bitch huh?! Plus this and my anger management issues isn't helping either! Why would I hate this story so much if I gave it a fave and it a place on my bookshelf. Plus octavia is a bitch in this one! She could've given vinyl a second chance?! Opinions are like asses. Everybody has one! So shut the fuck up and mind ur own damn busses next time! K bitch!?

5490674

Really you idiot? You think just because you're a woman, you're excluded from sexism? It's that kind of thinking that will land you in a shit storm. And I'm not going to watch what I say, if you don't. When I was 13 my parents would have beaten me if I even thought about saying bitch. And how am I supposed to know you liked it? There isn't a button on here that doesn't tell people who gave what story a thumbs up. I'm going to let some things slide because you're 13, but let me tell you something: If your significant other hurts you so bad and you've given them chance after chance after chance, you're not want that person in your life.

5492480
5490674

Can you guys please not do this here

Sorry for doing this but, Ur the dumb ass here! And I can cuss if I want to! Ur not my parents nor the boss of me! This is the kind of person that Pisces me off! I don't have to do what u say, just because u got close to beaten by ur parents just Cuz u even thought of even saying bitch. Again if u don't like what I say, than suck it! My opinion shouldn't appeal to u if u don't like it! And calling me an idiot is offensive Cuz I have a mental sickness of which I don't want to talk about due to personal reasons, but if u get into people's businesses and think that only ur opinion matters than get ur head out of ur ass Cuz u one day ur gonna say the wrong thing to the wrong person and they're gonna get physical on ur ass so mind ur busses u dumb idiot!

Okay I'm ending this.


5493037
Even if he's being a prick, still be respectful to elders. I'm telling you now, there is nothing more insulting than being less mature than the person you're insulting. Also, you're 13, please stop using "bitch". It's extremely rude and does not make sound more mature. Your parents might be a little more liberal when it comes to using swear words, but that doesn't make it okay. And don't lightly swing around things like mental disabilities to win arguments. People won't respect you for doing and the're probably going to use it against you. For that matter, stop looking for excuses to use certain words or exemption from others. If you start a fight, then get ready to shrug off a few punches.

I like to think this story is about perspective (don't take this as what it really means authorial intent is crap). People who have never been hurt the way Vinyl hurt Octavia can see Octavia as being nasty. She wasn't listening to anything Vinyl was saying and just had no interest in her. However, if someone has been badly hurt by a significant other, than Tavi was justified. All the good times you had with that person are gone and all you can see is that one event and you can never forgive them for that. That's just what I thought, dig a little deeper and tell me what you think.


5482533
Stop being an ass. There are plenty of different ways to say everything you said. This person is 13. Be more respectful. Try and think if you had a kid that was 13 years old. Would you say anything that you just said to this person. Have a little more respect for other people in the community. It doesn't matter what they say to you, be respectful. There is no need to call others an "idiot" or even cuss at them. All you're doing is proving how immature you are.

That is exactly my point. And even though I should tone it down, my mom said that no matter how old the person is, that I should always fight back. Also my parents can decipher if I can cuss or whatnot. I didn't even state my mental issues, and if u think that that's excuses that I'm making up,than that's what's wrong with society today. Plus that dude is sexist basterd!

This story has a twist I'm not used to in OctoScratch fics, an ending where it doesn't work out perfectly with sunshine and rainbows and make up sex and whatnot? My preconceived notions says no, but the rest of me says yes. I'm glad there are writers drifting from the norms of this ship. I'm glad you've made these characters more relatable by making them imperfect. You've taken the incorruptible ship and made its characters real, with anger, worry, depression and unperfect endings. Let it be known I look forward to more of your work, you've taken the story with the already overly cliche ending of Vinyl and Octavia getting back together and flipped it on its head, challenge more of the norms, but dot stray too far, for you have seen the wrath of those dedicated to this ship.


On a less pseudo intelligent level:
Vinyl is desperate, and very,I like this change from her usual slightly depressed self loathing self into a selfish and more realistic version of somebody who's realized what they've lost. Octavia is more realistically portrayed post breakup too, without the trope of her being successful yet unhappy in her love life you've pushed in a darker and more real direction of love, its ups, downs, how bad you can really hurt somebody when you get close, and how hard and sometimes impossible it is to forgive them.
Please forgive me for my long reviews, you've got some serious things in this story, I think it needed a serious review.

:fluttercry::fluttercry::fluttercry::fluttercry::fluttercry::fluttercry::fluttercry::fluttercry::fluttercry::fluttercry:

But...Why?

Login or register to comment