• Published 2nd May 2012
  • 1,054 Views, 19 Comments

Purpose of Harmony - Rapthorn2ndform



The Elements of Harmony. What are they? Who made them? And why?

  • ...
0
 19
 1,054

Chapter 9: The House Call

A loud chime echoed through the night air of Canterlot, Twilight Sparkle awoke from a nightmare she couldn’t remember. She looked over to the clock on her nightstand “Not even 3 am?” she groaned, it would be over half a day before she got any answers. She would never admit it but it was driving her crazy.

She tried to fall back asleep, but no luck. She decided that, if she couldn’t sleep, there was no point in laying there. She quietly got out of bed and crept past the sleeping Applejack. She wondered if anypony else was having trouble sleeping. She walked over to the door, snuck out into the hall and *SMACK* fell to the ground as she bumped into a brown earth pony.

“Oh, I’m sorry miss, are you alright” he said helping Twilight to her hooves “Well, it really was more your fault but that’s neither here nor there.”

“I’m sorry I really should have been paying more…Doctor?” Twilight said in surprise as she realized just who was helping her up. There was no pony other than Pinkie, who could frustrate her quite like that particular brown earth pony. In their first meeting, he just walked up to her and spoke like he’d known her for ages. A few days later, he acted like that conversation had never happened, but thanked her for the cupcakes…that she hadn’t given him. He was horribly confusing. However, Twilight knew from their meeting she knew one thing, he was extremely smart.

“Are you all right?” he asked “you’ve been staring for quite a while.”

“Oh, I’m fine.” lied Twilight

He turned and to walk away saying “Alright, have a good night.”

Twilight glared, and said indignantly “Wait, you’re just leaving!?”

“Yes…OH! That’s wot you meant.” He realized trotting back to continue the conversation “Sorry, I forgot, when a female says that they are ‘fine’, wot they really mean is ‘I’m not fine, please, ask me wot’s wrong’”

She scowled “That’s a horrible thing to say!”

He turned to leave again “Okay then, I’ll just leave.”
“No, wait.” Twilight sighed “Sorry Doctor, I just have a lot on my mind. For every answer I get, I find three more questions. Does it ever end? What in Celestia’s name are you wearing?”

“Yes, in one of two ways” replied the Doctor somberly “With either omnipotence or death, and I assure you the latter is far more common. I never give advice, no, but I might just say this to you. Always search for truth, live your life, one day a time…and it’s a fez” He adjusted the crimson hat on his head “Fezzes are cool.”

Twilight laughed a little, her heart lightened and mind put at ease “Thank you Doctor, the past few days were just so…but I feel a little better”

“Not at all, it has been a pleasure meeting you but I don’t think I caught your name” the Doctor smiled “As you know, I’m the Doctor, and you are?”

“You…WHAT!” Twilight snapped, another question! “But, you, name, met, WHAT!”

“OH” the Doctor stepped backwards; he had made a critical error. With every step he retreated, the lavender mare advanced. A searing lavender blast of magic shot straight at the brown earth pony, he quickly ducked but not in time. His fez was ruined. He turned and ran, with a parting look at his beloved hat, he though “Why is it that my headwear is always being blown up by CRAZY WOMEN!

Another blast scorched past as he rounded the corner, Twilight followed quickly so not too lose sight of the brown earth pony. She chased him, down stairs and out in to the court yard, she finally had him. He had turned down a left down a path; Twilight knew that it was a dead end. She slowed and strengthened her magic, there was no escape. She looked down the path too see the dead end, empty.

She franticly scanned the area, to find exactly what she saw, noting. As far as her magic could tell, nopony was here, nopony teleported, flew, even dug out of here. Her head spun, she was dizzy from magic exertion and exhaustion, the fact that she had just been in a high speed chase didn’t help either. She calmed down and sat.

“Did I just hallucinate that whole thing?” she asked her self genuinely distressed “I hope so, if not I owe him an apology, I completely overreacted.”

“Owe who an apology?” asked the Doctor from behind her.

“The Doc…YOU” she wheeled around in shock.

“Oh ‘allo Ms. Sparkle, it’s been a while” replied the Doctor with a grin “I accept your apology...though I do wonder wot for, anywho, how have you been?”

“A WHILE!?” she shouted angrily, though not trying to blast him to smithereens “You know EXACTLY how I’m doing! I just chased you all around the palace, only to have you VANISH from right in fromt of me! AND NOW YOU REMEMBER WHO I AM!?”

“Oh…so it’s that time” he muttered to himself, and returned his attention to Twilight “Feeling any better?”

“Why would I…actually…yeah.” She was so focused on the Doctor that she had forgotten her worries. She laughed “Did you plan this?”

“Yes” he lied, handing her a book “but this is what I came here to do.”

“A book?” She examined the gorgeous wooden cover. It appeared ancient, the ink had faded leaving the only the indentation to reveal the title “Irrefragabiles Murum: In Profundum Defensionem Darminibus? This is ancient equestrian!”

“Yes, it doesn’t seem to translate so you’ll need to do that the hard way.” He replied “You left that a while back, I’ve been meaning too but, so many things so little time.”

Twilight flipped through the aged pages, examining the intricate diagrams carefully. Her hear skipped a beat when she read the last line on the last page. “Scriptum Stella Torquent in Barbatus?!?! STAR-SWIRL THE BEARDED! DOCTOR I…Doctor?”

He was gone again. More questions. Twilight smiled, daunting questions aside, she had learned not to look a gift pony in the mouth. She returned to her room, still unable to sleep. This time though, from anticipation, rather than fear.

Comments ( 1 )

I always loved how the Doctor meets people out of sequence.
First. :yay:

Login or register to comment