• Published 2nd May 2012
  • 1,054 Views, 19 Comments

Purpose of Harmony - Rapthorn2ndform



The Elements of Harmony. What are they? Who made them? And why?

  • ...
0
 19
 1,054

Chapter 6: The Calm

The mares were amazed at the sight of Luna’s room, amazed at how normal it was. They had expected opulent jewels and cascading gowns. It looked a lot like Twilight’s room back in Ponyville only scaled up. Rainbow couldn’t hep but squeal when her eyes landed on a signed ‘Wonderbolts’ poster. Luna seemed to have a fondness of posters; she had dozens, Wonerbolts, Daring Doo, Ironmare, even DJ PON3. The girls relaxed, Luna seemed less like an unapproachable godly monarch and more like a normal, down-to-Equestria god. Pinkie’s eyes fluttered over each poster until she jumped into the air after seeing DJ PON3.

“OH, I should write my sister!” she chirped, bouncing to the tall desk “It’s been way too long, I haven’t written her in ages”

“Where did that come from?” wondered Applejack

“Pinkie’s older sister, Octavia and Vinyl Scratch have been ‘together’ for about a year,” explained Rainbow Dash as she took a seat in the most comfortable chair she had ever sat in “How do you think Rarity got such a famous Dj for her little fashion show?”

“Yeah, it was too bad she couldn’t stick around” said Pinkie with her head buried in a drawer. She emerged with a notebook and quill. “I hope the princess doesn’t mind me borrowing some paper?”

She brought the pad over and took a seat between Rainbow and Applejack. She flipped to the back to find a blank page, to see a perfectly drawn picture of the statue from the underground city. They were amazed by the attention to detail; it looked as if it were actually in front of them. However there was one major difference between the picture and the statue they had scene, there was a third, male alicorn. If they assumed that the young Celestia was the same size as Luna is now, the new stallion stood over a two feet taller then Celestia is now. He stood in contrast to the two alicorn princess, he was heavily muscled and his main was short and very unkempt. Even though he could have passed for a homeless pony, he still exuded the same poised, regal atmosphere as the princesses.

“Wow, did you know the princess could draw like that?” asked Rainbow

Pinkie flipped the page revealing, to their confusion, the exact same picture. She flipped several more pages all the same, until they noticed the noticed a dark object up near the top of the page. Flipping more pages, the object, which the figured out was a large blanket, covered the stallion statue.

“OOH, this must be a flip book!” squeaked Pinkie, returning to the first image “Let’s watch from the start.”

As the pages mover rapidly, the image flowed. The blanket covered the male alicorn, ropes and chains wrapped around it, and slowly the statue fell to the ground, shattering. The images then slowly zoomed in on the face of the younger Luna, showing a tear in the statue’s eye.

“Pinkie, ah think we just looked at somethin’ private” said Applejack somberly “Ya should probably put it away.”

“Yeah” sighed Pinkie, her hair straightening slightly

The uncomfortable feeling returned, stronger than ever. They felt as if they had just watched one of Princess Luna’s most painful memories. That must have been what went through the princesses head when Applejack had mentioned the statue.

They waited in silence, guilt hanging in their hearts. The silence was finally broken by the arrival of Fluttershy. “Oh, I’m sorry…i…hope I’m not interrupting”

Eveypony in the room jumped in surprise; Applejack, Rainbow, and Pinkie by the sudden arrival of their friend and Fluttershy by her friend’s reaction.

“Well, this room isn’t nearly what I was expecting” said Rarity as she entered “I guess Princess Luna hasn’t grown to have her older sister’s tastes yet”

“Well howdy Rares,” Applejack said “Ya’all just get here?”

“Um…no, we stopped into the medical wing” whispered Fluttershy “They told us about Twilight, she should be up here and a few hours.”

“Yes, poor Twilight” said Rarity “her teleportation spell completely exhausted her. But let’s change the subject; do you have any idea why we’re all here?”

Applejack was hesitant, but she eventually relented and restated the story once again. Rarity and Fluttershy were stunned silent. Nopony spoke after the words Canterlot will burn. Applejack thought it would be a good idea to leave out Luna’s breakdown.

“Well…you’re camping trip sure was eventful.” Said Rarity after a long silence “so, How about we ask a guard to bring up some food, I am starving.”

The mood lightened considerably, the guards brought up food fit for royalty. The pressure lifted and the friends returned to their carefree attitude. The girls were grateful tor the real food, Twilight’s cooking left much to be desired.

Not long after they had finished eating Luna and Twilight joined the others within the bedchambers. Luna silently conjured additional seats for the other ponies. “Now that I have had time to prepare myself” she said with a sigh “Do you need a moment to tell your other friends?”

“No yer magesty, we told em while we waited” responded Applejack “We left off when we saw the statues, do you want to take if from here Twi?”

“Sure, you left off at the alicorn statue, right?” Twilight asked, Applejack nodded “Okay then, Rainbow had pointed out a secret passage, and following the powerful mystic aura, we descended deeper until we came to a door.”

Luna looked shocked as she thought to herself “It was there, all that time looking and it was hidden where I spent all my time thinking about where it could be.”

“Beyond the door was a very large unicorn working a forge, there was a blinding black light, and the unicorn left. We rushed in and took the element and hurried out” explained Twilight

“Did you see what he was working on?” asked Luna. Twilight cowered, it hadn’t occurred to her to see what the stranger had been making, she shook her head. “That’s too bad, it may have provided some insight into the situation, I apologize for interrupting, please continue.”

“We got a ways up the stairs, before he confronted us,” Twilight continued “apparently he knew we were coming and set a trap…”

“Forced meeting” corrected Pinkie adamantly

“He had taken the element to lure us down there, all to deliver a message, a threat to you and Princess Celestia.”

The group of elements froze; they knew the message well and dreaded Luna’s reaction. The alicorn pleaded “Twilight, I must know?”

Twilight took a deep breath and said the words she whished she had never heard “They have eight sun cycles to return the Elements to where they belong, or Canterlot will burn”

Luna fell to the ground sobbing. Nopony knew what to do. Twilight moved forward and wrapped her hooves around the devastated royal. “Princess, I’m not sure what we can do but maybe if we knew where the elements of harmony came from, we could help you make the right decision.”

“Perhaps you are right” the midnight monarch said as she attempted to halt her tears “But even f we wanted to return the elements, we couldn’t. They belong with the pony that created them and he…” she paused to avoid more crying “isn’t with us any more”

“Who was he?” Twilight asked inquisitively

Luna looked at the six mares in front of her, although they may not know it, they were her closest, no, her only friends. Perhaps trusting them with this would help, if not with the outcome, then at least with Luna’s own emotions “He was…my father”