• Published 26th Dec 2014
  • 13,904 Views, 1,938 Comments

Three Gems and a Scooter - RaylanKrios



For Rarity, what starts as a simple quest to help her sister turns into an unexpected journey of what family really means.

  • ...
24
 1,938
 13,904

Feather Drift

Scootaloo’s dance recital was next Friday, and in between school, dance practice and her now weekly visits to Dr. Sunshine, Scootaloo didn’t really have time to dwell on the ticking clock counting down the days til either Rarity inevitably kicked her out or she became officially adopted.

Somewhat to Scootaloo’s surprise, Rainbow had followed up her declaration and made a concerted effort insert herself into Scootaloo’s life, even if said life was a little busier than usual. First, her big sister-ish took her out for ice cream. That was pretty okay— after all, everypony likes ice cream.

And then the next week Rainbow had taken her flying, which again was fun. Perched on Rainbow’s back, the wind coursing through her mane, her wings spread wide; with her eyes closed, it was easy to imagine that she was the one soaring through the air. But both of those experiences were strangely unfulfilling. Scootaloo wasn’t sure why, but both times she felt slightly more hollow afterward then she did before.

However, right now, none of that mattered. It was a Friday night, there was no homework to be done, and she didn’t have to wake up until noon tomorrow. After a late afternoon of crusading, she quickly hurried upstairs to drop her stuff off and have a quick shower. Freshly scrubbed, a light hunger began to gnaw at her, which meant a trip to the kitchen was in order.

Upon reaching the bottom of the stairs, she found Rarity wearing a sequined blue evening gown, levitating different pairs of earrings up to her ears.
.
“Why are you all dressed up?”

“I have a date tonight,” Rarity said proudly.

“With a colt?” Scootaloo scrunched her snout. “Yuck”

Rarity could only laugh. “Just wait til you're older.”

“Whatever.” Scootaloo shrugged. Not being of any use in answering questions of the “How do I look?” variety, she scurried into the kitchen intent on finding a snack to fuel her night of dance practice and horror movies.

Rarity spent the next five minutes fussing over her mane in the mirror before the doorbell rang. After giving herself one last check in the mirror, Rarity trotted over to answer the bell. She tugged the door open with an air every bit as tantalizing as her ensemble. On the other side of the door stood a yellow-coated, green-maned stallion, wearing a black satin bowtie.

Primping her mane, Rarity drew his attention to her most fabulous features. “Well, don’t you look quite dashing,” she said by way of a greeting.

“And may I say, you look lovely,” the stallion, Feather Drift, replied with the faintest hint of a cocksure smirk.

“I would be hurt if you didn’t,” Rarity answered, not missing a beat. “So, tell me, where will we be dining this evening?”

Feather Drift rested a hoof on the doorframe, leaning in. “I made reservations at Olive’s Garden. They’re not easy to get, but you’re worth it.” The smirk he continued to sport was more than a little off-putting but Rarity let it slide.

Before Rarity could suggest they begin their evening, Scootaloo came sprinting out of the kitchen. “Bye, Rarity,” Scootaloo called out with a wave as she scampered up the stairs.

Rarity waved back and turned her attention back to her date. “Who was that?” he asked. His tone less friendly than Rarity would have preferred.

“Oh, she’s my daughter. Her name is Scootaloo and I’d have invited her, but I thought a nice candlelight dinner for two would be more romantic,” Rarity said, fluttering her fastidiously mascaraed eyelashes.

Feather Drift stepped back to a more comfortable distance. “I, uh, I didn’t know you had a daughter” he stammered, his confident attitude and smirk long-since gone.

“Yes, well, I’m sure there are lots of things you don’t know about me. That’s why we’re going to dinner is it not?” Rarity said, with what she hoped was an inviting smile.

“Oh. You know what, I just remembered that I have to, well there’s this thing with my buddy and I really just forgot about it and he’d be hurt if I didn’t show up and yeah....” Feather Drift’s voice trailed off as he furtively looked around for the quickest path away from the Boutique.

Though Rarity was practiced at hiding her emotions, even she couldn’t conceal the sting of rejection. Though Feather Drift’s chances of a second date had been dwindling by the second ever since he opened the door, Rarity still felt her chest tighten. “Oh, I see. Perhaps we could try this again some other time?”

“Yeah, I’m pretty busy over the next month actually, but well, I’ll write you a letter when I’m available.”

“Sure,” Rarity said half-heartedly. Closing the door, Rarity banished the stain that was Feather Dust from her eye, though the action did little to assuage her wounded pride.

Hearing the door close Scootaloo came bounding down the stairs only to find Rarity staring crestfallen at the now-empty foyer.

“You’re still here?”

“It would appear that I am,” Rarity said with a forlorn sigh.

“Why?”

“Would that I knew the answer to that, dear.” Rarity sighed again, ruminating on why there seemed to be no good stallions in Equestria. “If you don’t mind, I think I’d prefer to be alone right now.” Rarity took one last look at the now closed door and began to trudge over to her parlor room and its mini-freezer full of ice cream that was soon to be in dire need of restocking.

Scootaloo shrugged. She was too young to understand the pain of heartbreak, but she did know what a sad pony looked like—she knew the one in the mirror well.

Then, somewhat to her surprise, she got angry as she processed the chain of events as she knew them. Rarity was planning on going on a date, she was talking with some guy who probably was her date, now he was gone and Rarity was sad, which meant that he probably made her sad. That wasn’t fair. Some random jerk shouldn’t get to make her...Rarity...upset.

Scootaloo trotted over and gently hugged Rarity’s forelegs. “I’m sorry,”

Rarity smiled before lighting up in earnest. As Scootaloo pulled back, Rarity raised a hoof and ran it through Scootaloo’s ever-messy mane. “Scootaloo? Would you like to go to dinner?”

Her brow furrowing, Scootaloo tilted her head just a bit. “Huh?”

“I believe there is a reservation at Olive’s Garden, and it would be a shame to let it go to waste.”

“I don’t really like Itallineighn food.”

“They have things other than spaghetti, dear.”

Scootaloo considered the offer. She was looking forward to practicing her routine and then watching Nightmare Night 1 and 2, but Rarity’s offer was so tinged with hope that it felt cruel to say no. She remembered what Rarity had said about families not being perfect. Sometimes they fight and maybe sometimes they did things they didn’t really want to do.

“Okay,” Scootaloo said with a shrug.

Rarity’s smile brightened. “Splendid! Though you will have to put on a dress, I’m afraid.”

Scootaloo wrinkled her snout in disgust. “Ugh, really?” she groaned.

The childish antic elicited a quick laugh. “Yes really. Come, I’m sure there must be something in your closet.”

After a brief deliberation, Scootaloo selected a yellow sundress that she generally didn’t hate. Looking at the pair of them in the mirror, Rarity was struck by the marked difference between their body language.

Rarity didn’t so much wear her dress as much as she allowed it to hang off of her body. Half of fashion was confidence and Rarity’s gait led to the conclusion that the dress she was wearing should be so fortunate to be her ensemble for the evening.

In contrast, Scootaloo retreated into her dress, using it as a shield between her and the rest of the world. The way she slumped her shoulders and stared at the ground practically screamed: “Isn’t my dress nice? Pay no attention to the pony who's wearing it.”

Rarity gingerly pushed Scootaloo’s shoulders down and lifted her chin up. “The key to fashion is confidence,” she began with her mini-lecture. “No matter how you’re actually feeling, you should act as though you are the most glamorous mare in the room.”

“But what if I don’t feel like that?” Scootaloo said, tilting her neck and trying out her new stance.

“Ah, but they,” Rarity gestured to an imaginary audience, “don’t know that. That, my dear, is the key to confidence.”

Scootaloo studied her reflection in the mirror and for the first time since she could remember she didn’t feel so bad about the reflection staring back at her. She offered mirror Scootaloo a smile.

“Well, let’s go then. We wouldn’t want them to give our reservation away.”

Author's Note:

Yes, it's a short chapter but I'm back in the writing saddle. I had a couple weeks where I just didn't want to write anything, especially not this. But I like this story, I know that it's my most popular work here and it deserves an ending. Thanks for sticking with me. I promise not to make you wait so long for the next one.

Olive's Garden is a shout out to HMXTaylorLee. Readers of Scootaloo and the Cabinet of Seers will get the reference.

Special thanks to ChudoJogurt and DemonBrightSpirit for their work editing this chapter and making it better.

I know Feather Drift is a stupid name, but I just needed a pony name.

And of course Rarity's date was destined to go poorly, Raylan is her one true love.