• Published 26th Dec 2014
  • 13,899 Views, 1,938 Comments

Three Gems and a Scooter - RaylanKrios



For Rarity, what starts as a simple quest to help her sister turns into an unexpected journey of what family really means.

  • ...
24
 1,938
 13,899

Ice Cream

Rainbow Dash and Rarity stayed at the foot of the stairs for a few more moments, both of them sneaking a furtive glance toward the guest room.

“She’s really hurting, isn’t she, Rares?” Rainbow said, finally breaking the silence.

“Yes, Rainbow, she is.”

Rainbow sighed, “Why do you think she hasn’t found anyone who wants to adopt her? She’s an awesome little filly, I can’t believe that there’s no one in Ponyville who has room for her in their lives.” Verbalizing the idea of how lonely Scootaloo must feel made her wince and she turned her attention back upstairs.

As Rarity sat listening to her friend’s pondering, it occurred to her Rainbow didn’t talk much about her family; she mentioned her dad on occasion but never her mother. She didn’t want to pry so she never pressed the issue, but her own private theory was that Rainbow was so steadfastly loyal precisely because she knew the painful sting of being let down by someone you placed your trust in.

In another situation Rainbow finally realizing what she had been struggling with would have given her some small measure of satisfaction. As it was, Rarity could only place a gentle hoof on Rainbow’s shoulder in an effort to sympathize. “I know that wasn’t easy for you dear. Thank you for talking with her.”

“Yeah sure. Hey listen, I know we haven’t exactly been on the best of terms lately—”

Rarity scoffed, “That’s an understatement.”

A quick glare from Rainbow silenced her and Rainbow continued. “Yeah, well look, if there’s anything I can do, I want to help. I just… I hate not knowing what to do! There's gotta be something I can do to help fix this! Maybe—maybe I can help cheer her up somehow? What if I take her flying tomorrow?”

Rarity paused to consider the offer; under normal circumstances she would have agreed that going flying with Rainbow would cure whatever ailed Scootaloo, but these were anything but normal circumstances. “While I appreciate the thought, I’m not sure that’s the best idea right now.”

“So what am I supposed to do, just leave her hanging? That’s not my style.” Rainbow waved a hoof two inches in front of Rarity’s snout. “Hello, Element of Loyalty here!”

In response Rarity batted away the annoying intrusion into her personal space. “I am acutely aware of that. But, I think that right now, she needs some time to digest everything. She's been through quite a lot today. We all have.”

Rainbow could only sigh in agreement. Rarity wasn’t wrong, and that infuriated her. She was used to solving her problems instantly, mostly by kicking them. Not that there was an Element of Patience, but if there was it definitely would not have gone to her.

“You should go get some sleep dear. I'll make sure she is taken care of tonight. I do thank you for all of your help today.” Rarity said, interrupting Rainbow’s train of thought.

“Are you sure there’s nothing else I can do?”

“Yes dear, I’m sure.”

Rainbow studied her friend for any hint of deception, but finding none she was forced to concede that she was pretty worn out from the day’s events. “Alright,” she said, reluctantly walking to the door. One last thought hit her before she left. “You're a lot better at this taking care of kids thing than I am.”

“ I... thank you,” Rarity stammered, visibly taken aback by Rainbow’s statement.

“No problem, Rares. Let me know when she's feeling better, okay?”

“You’ll be the first to know,” Rarity said, regaining some of her composure.

With one temperamental pegasus in her life temporarily taken care of, Rarity went upstairs to check on the other one. She gently knocked on the door to Sweetie's room; after hearing a small shuffle, she opened the door slowly. The room was perfectly still; the only hint that there was any occupant was a small tuft of purple mane protruding from a lump underneath the blankets.

Sweetie’s—Scootaloo’s—the guest room felt cold. Despite all the windows being closed there was a distinct chill wafting through the air, Rarity thought. “Scootaloo?” she whispered, lest she wake up a sleeping filly. Her question evoked no response, but the silence led her to believe Scootaloo hadn’t quite fallen asleep. “If there's anything you need, please don't hesitate to let me know.”

There only response was the unmistakable sound of Scootaloo's stomach growling.

“When did you eat last?” Rarity asked gently.

Finally Scootaloo poked her head out from under the covers. She shrugged her shoulders but offered no words.

“How about some ice cream?” Rarity offered, remembering her thought back in the cave. Scootaloo still didn’t say anything, but at the another growl of her stomach prompted her to climb out of bed.

The pair made their way wordlessly to the kitchen. Almost everypony knew that Rarity was an expert in fashion. What significantly fewer ponies realized was that she was also an expert in using ice cream as an emotional balm. The psychologically restorative properties of ice cream were not, in fact, universal across flavors, Rarity believed. For disappointment one should seek comfort in the satisfying familiarity of chocolate ice-cream. For minor aches and pains such as a friend canceling plans, some form of vanilla was most likely in order. And for heartache the levels that Scootaloo was feeling, only the inherent joy of chocolate chip cookie dough would do.

“Would you like to talk about it?” Rarity asked after she had given Scootaloo a few minutes to seek solace in a bowl of ice cream.

Scootaloo tightened her grip on the spoon while refusing to look at the mare sitting next to her. “About what?” she asked hoping her false naiveté would work in her favor.

“About what's bothering you?”

“Nothing is bothering me,” Scootaloo said through gritted teeth, clenching the spoon so hard her hoof started turning red.

Scootaloo’s deflection evoked numerous memories of Sweetie making similar protest and in her case they were almost always followed with a “but-”. Instead of retorting that Scootaloo was liable to break the spoon if she squeezed it any harder, Rarity ignored the obvious lie and just waited for Scootaloo to recant.

Hearing no response the little filly looked up for a second before turning her gaze back to her bowl of ice cream. She sighed and let go of her spoon. “Rainbow doesn’t want me,” Scootaloo sniffled; those words hung in the air until she spoke again. “Whenever I had to leave I always told myself it didn’t matter because someday I’d move in with her and then my life would get better.” Another painful silence passed. “I just thought for sure that Rainbow Dash would want to adopt me. I thought that as much fun we have together, she would say yes... I mean, we're already sisters.”

“Being an honorary sister is one thing, but a caregiver is an entirely different role altogether,” Rarity answered, careful to try and not sound condescending.

“What about you and Sweetie Belle?” Scootaloo asked, looking up at Rarity with a heartbreaking sense of wanting clearly evident on her young face.

“What do you mean dear?”

“She stays here with you a lot. Aren't you kind of a caregiver then?"

Rarity balked and jerked her head back in surprise. She had never thought of herself as Sweetie Belle’s caregiver. Babysitter maybe, sister, absolutely, but not a caregiver. Nevertheless she couldn’t find fault with Scootaloo’s argument. “Well, I mean—yes,” she stuttered. “But it's just for visits or for when mother and father are on vacation,” she quickly added for clarification.

“What if something happened to them?”

“Scootaloo!” Rarity snapped. “That is a terrible thing to say.”

Scootaloo cowed her head. “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean it like that. I just...if you had to take care of Sweetie Belle, like a parent, would you?”

“Of course I would, but—” Rarity said in a much more measured tone.

“It must be nice to have someone who would do that for you,” Scootaloo said sadly.

Rarity couldn’t think of anything to say in response, and that thought troubled her as much as Scootaloo’s pain. So instead she borrowed a page from the Rainbow Dash school of confrontation, changing the subject.

“I was thinking maybe tomorrow we go and find you a dance instructor?”

Scootaloo shrugged. “It’s not like it’s going to matter. No pony is going to adopt me because they like my dancing."

“I should certainly hope not, that sounds like an absolutely awful reason to adopt somepony,” Rarity said, hoping to lighten the oppressive pall that had been cast over the room.

Scootaloo titled her head and looked up at Rarity, who merely smiled warmly. She opened her mouth like she was about to add something but it turned out only to be a half hearted sigh. “Sure, whatever,” she muttered before letting out a rather large yawn.

“I think we could both use some sleep. It's been a long day, hasn't it?” Rarity said, stifling a yawn of her own.

“Yeah.” Scootaloo looked down at the brown syrupy remnants of her frosty treat. “Lemme just drink this.”

The request was followed by a loud slurping sound the creamy treat, which left a large white splotch on her muzzle.

“Oh, dear, you've got something- here, let me-” Rarity reached for the splotch, napkin in hoof. She preemptively paused as she anticipated Scootaloo's flinching and obligatory protest that she would “take care of it herself." Much to her surprise Scootaloo stayed still letting Rarity wipe her snout free of ice cream.

“I'll take care of these dishes. Go brush your teeth and I will be right back to tuck you in.”

This time Scootaloo’s independent streak did assert itself. “I don't need anypony to tuck me in,” she said rather defiantly.

“Very well then.”

Rarity quickly rinsed and dried the dishes with an assist from some very practical unicorn magic. Scootaloo brushed her teeth with a similar efficiency minus the magic, and the pair reunited upstairs to the guest room at roughly the same time.

“Is there anything else you need?” Rarity asked from the doorway as Scootaloo climbed back into bed.

“No.”

“Sweet dreams, Scootaloo. I will see you in the morning,” Rarity said with another smile.

As she turned to leave Rarity heard a small voice call out to her. “Rarity?”

“Yes?”

“I’m sorry I made you run around all over the place today. And getting you muddy and dirty and stuff…”

Rarity turned around so that Scootaloo could see that she was sincere about her next statement. “It’s quite alright dear. I’m just glad you're safe.

Scootaloo didn’t say anything else and Rarity again took that as her cue to leave. Before she could close the door the small voice again called out.

“Rarity?

“Yes?”

“If you really wanted to, you could tuck me in…I guess.”

Rarity opened the door, flaring her horn slightly so that it might serve as a nightlight as she approached the bed.

“Of course, dear.”

Author's Note:

No authors note this time