• Published 26th Dec 2014
  • 13,883 Views, 1,938 Comments

Three Gems and a Scooter - RaylanKrios



For Rarity, what starts as a simple quest to help her sister turns into an unexpected journey of what family really means.

  • ...
24
 1,938
 13,883

Why not?

Despite sleeping in for a good hour later than she was accustomed to, Rarity still woke up groggy. She was also, apparently, awake before Scootaloo, judging by the lack of sound coming from upstairs, or anywhere else for that matter.

The boutique was usually quiet on Saturday mornings, and today was no exception. Rarity only opened for a few hours on Saturday afternoon and even then she had been known to forgo that business opportunity. Early in her career, she made it a point to be open as much as possible in an effort to attract anypony she could, often waking up at the crack of dawn. But now that she had an established clientele, she no longer felt the pressure to get everypony possible to walk through her door. Her taking Saturday mornings off was a measure of pride, a symbol that she did enough business to be able to afford to close when she wanted to.

In her solitude Rarity thought hard about last night. There was a lot that was troubling her, but as the memory of Scootaloo crying alone in a darkened room flashed through her mind, the most troubling part was just how incongruous Scootaloo looked in her guest room.

Rarity liked to think of the Carousel Boutique as a bastion of order, in a way. Yes, it could get messy, even chaotic, but it was never random. Her ribbons might end up strewn about the parlour room during the course of designing a dress, but the cinnamon ribbon would never land anywhere near the faded pearl fabric—that would be absurd. As so it should be with Scootaloo; regardless of her mood, she looked out of place surrounded by the floral prints favored by Sweetie Belle. Therefore, Rarity reasoned, her first goal needed to be transforming her guest room into a place where Scootaloo looked like she belonged.

And that shouldn’t be too hard to do, she reasoned. Her guest room was already furnished; it just needed some cosmetic treatment. Rarity prepared some oatmeal for the two of them to eat for breakfast as she contemplated exactly what she envisioned as the new color scheme to her guest room. Of course Scootaloo would have some say, but that didn’t mean Rarity couldn’t lend her own aesthetic viewpoint. Soon, Scootaloo came down the stairs, wearing the same melancholy expression that Rarity was trying fervently to eliminate.

“Good Morning, Scootaloo,” Rarity said with a smile, sliding a bowl of oatmeal over to her guest.

Scootaloo hopped up on a stool near the kitchen counter and corralled Rarity’s offering.“Hi,” she said quietly searching for a spoon.

Rarity levitated a spoon from the silverware drawer and placed it near Scootaloo’s right hoof. “I was thinking that we might pick out some new dressings for your bedroom,” she said as Scootaloo began to eat her breakfast.

Scootaloo stopped eating, instead staring intently at the bowl in front of her. “You don’t have to do that for me, it’s not like I’m staying. The way it is now is fine.”

On one hoof, Scootaloo seemed to be making an effort to be polite; on the other hoof her insistence on being miserable was counterproductive. “That is sweet of you to say. But a pony’s domicile should reflect who they are. For the time being, this is your living space; it should be an expression of who you are. Unless you feel that you are being adequately represented by flowers and hearts.” Scootaloo quickly wrinkled her nose and shook her head, as though the very idea that Sweetie’s choices suggested anything about her was an anathema. Rarity giggled softly.“Then that’s settled. Would you like to come with me?”

“Umm, I was kinda planning on crusading today. Could we go tomorrow?” Scootaloo asked, her cheeks turning a light pink as she asked for the small favor.

“We could.” Rarity was about to suggest that they plan on going shopping tomorrow after lunch when a different thought popped into her head. “Or you could trust me to pick out your dressings for you. I’m thinking something with lightning bolts and rainbows,” Rarity offered cautiously, eager to see if Scootaloo would extend her the courtesy of trusting her judgment.

Scootaloo appeared to consider the offer, looking toward the ceiling. She didn’t seem enthusiastic, but she also didn’t say no. “That might be okay,” she mumbled, before returning to her oatmeal.

It was a reluctantly given, almost insignificant, gesture of trust, but a gesture of trust nonetheless. “Wonderful!” Rarity exclaimed, barely able to suppress her enthusiasm for shopping as well as the small victory she had just won. “And if you really dislike my choices, I’m sure we can return them.”

The idea that she wouldn’t be stuck with whatever choices Rarity made seemed to put Scootaloo more at ease. She didn’t say anything else, but she looked just the tiniest bit happier as she finished her breakfast, or so Rarity thought.


Despite its name, Quills and Sofas sold more than just writing implements and living room furniture. They endeavored to be one-stop shopping for any home furnishing project, and for the most part, they succeeded. While they lacked the individual variety of specialty shops, they made up for it with an impressive selection across all room types. One section was dedicated to filly-appropriate bedroom adornments. That was where Rarity found herself trying to balance her own artistic taste with what little she knew about Scootaloo’s proclivities.

There were lots of bed sets with a rainbow theme, but Scootaloo wasn’t a fan of rainbows—she was a fan of Rainbow Dash, and apparently Equestria’s seamstresses had yet to see fit to sew Rainbow’s multicolored lightning bolt onto any comforters. After some thought, Rarity settled on a Wonderbolts comforter, replete with the Wonderbolts insignia, and some generic unisex sheets that had various modes of transportation on them, including a few scooters. She also picked up a pair of cyan curtains to replace the floral prints currently adorning the windows. Satisfied that she could use what she brought to redecorate her guest room to Scootaloo’s liking, she headed back to the Boutique eager to get started.

Rarity hadn’t gotten more than halfway home when she spotted a familiar multi-hued tail dangling from a cloud. She hadn’t intended to confront Rainbow Dash today, but looking down at her purchases immediately drew her thoughts to both their intended recipient and their purpose. No matter how much she dressed up the Boutique, Scootaloo would never consider it “home,” and that’s what the little filly needed and what Rarity had promised to find her. And whether Rainbow Dash liked it or not, she was undoubtedly Scootaloo’s first choice for the parental figure she craved.

There was simply no sense it putting it off. It wasn’t as though Scootaloo was going to change her mind about wanting to live with Rainbow Dash; and it was equally unlikely that Rainbow Dash would reverse her position on her own accord either. She’s the Element of Loyalty, and though she can be a bit egocentric, she’s never been known to turn away a friend in need. Surely if Rainbow realized how important this was she’d be willing to give Scootaloo a chance, and once Scootaloo was afforded that opportunity surely she’d worm her way into to Rainbow’s heart.

“Hello, Rainbow,” Rarity called up to the cloud, hoping Rainbow wasn’t completely unconscious.

After a moment or two, the Rainbow tail disappeared to be replaced with a cyan snout, peering down at her with half closed eyes. “Hey, Rares, whasup?”

“I was wondering if we might talk for a minute.”

Rainbow’s eyes opened further and Rarity counted her blessings that Rainbow didn’t seem to be perturbed from being roused. “Sure, ya need me to come down from my cloud?”

“That would be preferable, yes.”

Rainbow flapped her wings a few times propelling herself off of the cloud, and landed in front of Rarity, kicking up a small cloud of dust as she did. “Okay, so what’s so important that you had to interrupt my nap?”

Rarity paused for a moment to shake the dust from her coat. There was no tactful way to approach the conversation and she couldn’t think of a different topic that would conceivably lead to talking about Scootaloo. So any races coming up? You know who loves races? Scootaloo, have you thought more about adopting her? “It’s about Scootaloo,” Rarity said, opting to be direct.

Rainbow balked slightly, evidently remembering the last conversation Rarity had tried to have about her number one fan. “Squirt? This isn’t about adopting her again, is it?”

“As a matter of fact it is,” Rarity said calmly, hoping to keep the conversation on an even keel.

A look of concern flashed across Rainbow’s face which Rarity construed as a positive sign. “You said she was moving to Baltimare. What happened with that?”

“She is staying with me until she can find a place in Ponyville. I thought it best if she wasn’t forcibly removed from her friends, as well as the only town she’s ever lived in.”

“That’s great!” Rainbow said, and her joy appeared to be genuine.

Rarity waited for Rainbow to ask any sort of follow up question, such as So what happens now? but she was met with a blank stare. She pressed onward. "However, I'm only able to keep Scootaloo until I can find her a permanent guardian."

"Okay," Rainbow Dash said, raising an eyebrow. An uncomfortable silence hung in the air as Rainbow fidgeted in place, absentmindedly scratching her left foreleg.

"Yes and I... I was wondering if you would reconsider your previous position.”

Rainbow shook her head. "I already told you, Rarity. I can't adopt her."

Rarity gritted her teeth and fought to keep her voice level. “As a point of emphasis, you can adopt her. You’re an adult, you have a stable job, and you own your own house. Furthermore Scootaloo adores you, you’d be approved instantly. So, if we are being honest with each other then you can adopt her—you just won’t.”

Rainbow ignored Rarity’s frustration and just rolled her eyes. “Okay fine, Rares. You’re right. I won’t. But it’s not cause I don’t like the kid. I’m just not ready to take care of a foal.”

“Well, sometimes life throws us challenges, whether we are prepared for them or not!”

Rainbow stomped her right hoof and snorted.“This isn’t one of those times! I didn’t get drunk and do something stupid. I didn’t volunteer to be Scootaloo’s godmother, and I didn’t promise the kid she could live with me. I don’t have what it takes to take care of a child. Heck, I barely manage to keep myself clean and fed most of the time.”

“She worships you, and she’s profoundly unhappy. You can help her, Rainbow Dash,” Rarity replied, her voice just shy of pleading.

“You need me to spend some more time with her? I can do that. Want me to teach her all about how to preen and that kind of stuff? I can do that too. Want us to enter the Sisterhooves Social? I’ll be first in line at the registration table. But you can’t ask me to adopt her, that’s not fair!”

Fair? Fair! What wasn’t fair was an innocent child feeling unloved. What wasn’t fair was being abandoned by your birth parents without knowing why. And what wasn’t fair was choosing the most stubborn, self centered, egotistical pegasus in all of Equestria to be your idol. “Life isn’t fair!” Rarity shrieked. “Why should it be unfair to her over you? Give me one good reason why you can’t adopt her!” Rarity challenged, her glare doing its best to drill a hole straight through Rainbow Dash.

The two friends were yelling at each other in earnest now, and it was only that there was no one around to hear them that they weren't causing a very public scene. “Because I have plans!” Rainbow fired back. “Being a Wonderbolt, touring Equestria, maybe even The Griffon Kingdoms, and none of those includes dragging a kid along with me.”

Rarity seethed not so quietly, drawing sharp breaths through her teeth. “Some Element of Loyalty you turned out to be,” she growled.

“Oh, fuck you, Rarity,” Rainbow snarled back, before promptly flying off to a cloud higher in the sky, where she could nap without having her life choices questioned.


Rarity spent the rest of the morning angrily decorating Scootaloo’s room. It wasn’t just the profanity that had rattled her. It was the thought of Scootaloo crying all alone, while Rainbow refused to do anything to help. Okay that’s not entirely fair, and maybe I shouldn’t have brought up her Element, but she is just so selfish! And that train of thought process continued unabated until Rarity had finished her task.

She stepped back and leaned against the door frame so that she could admire her hoof work. Scootaloo’s bed was now covered in a lightning bolt ornamented down comforter, and beneath that, what had once been hearts, was now a more Scootaloo-friendly, transportation themed bedsheet. In addition, Rarity had taken down most of the flowers that Sweetie Belle had put up, but chose to leave the vines, giving the room an aura more reminiscent of an ancient ruin than a flower shop. Finally the curtains were now cyan so that, when they were closed, the room was bathed in a soft blue light, and when open they still evoked the feeling of that selfish jerk. The walls were now relatively bare, but that could be easily fixed. A bit spartan perhaps, but it’s a start.

As she was admiring the results of her efforts, she heard a small voice from behind her.

“Whoa,” the voice said. Scootaloo’s small figure gently pushed past Rarity and the orange filly strained her neck trying to take in all the new features.

“So, what do you think?”

“It’s awesome. I’ll bet this looks just like Rainbow Dash’s room when she was a filly,” Scootaloo said as she fluttered her wings and happily bounced around her new room.

Rarity winced at the mention of Scootaloo’s idol. It wasn’t just the reminder of the ugly things they had recently said to each other, it was the way Scootaloo said the words. Scootaloo said Rainbow Dash with the same tone Rarity used to say Manehattan when she was Scootaloo’s age. They were words that were always uttered with a sense of longing. Rainbow Dash wasn’t just a pony to Scootaloo, she represented an idea, namely the thought that someday she might have a home of her own, specifically with a pony who loved her and cared for her.

Looking down at Scootaloo, who appeared to be as happy as Rarity could remember seeing her, Rarity was torn between the conflicting notions of wanting to be honest with her and protecting her from the truth about Rainbow’s lack of interest in becoming her guardian. Allowing her to hold onto false hope might end up hurting worse in the long run and after their fight, Rarity certainly felt no obligation to protect Rainbow’s image. But she just couldn't bring herself to crush Scootaloo’s spirit like that, and Rainbow was still her friend, even if that friendship was currently on very thin ice.

“Maybe,” she said with as sincere as smile as she could muster. “Why don’t you ask her about it the next time you see her?”

Author's Note:

An extra huge thanks to my editors for making this chapter significantly better. If any of you prefer to work solo, I'd argue you have no idea how much a helpful second (and third) opinion can help your story. Suffice it to say if you enjoyed this chapter HMXTaylorLee and DemonBrightSpirit are probably why and if you didn't it's probably my fault.

And now it's self promotion time. Words to Live By is a story written by yours truly that hasn't really generated much traffic. It's a Spike fic so I understand that turns some people off, but if you haven't read it and don't hate Spike, maybe go give it a chance? And then tell me what you liked or didn't like about it.

Most authors love feedback