• Published 16th Nov 2014
  • 5,487 Views, 562 Comments

X Steps Through The Portal - Tennis Match Fan



Now that the link between the human world and pony world is constantly open through Twilight's magic, students (whether by accident or on purpose) will wander to the other side.

  • ...
19
 562
 5,487

37. Lemon Zest

Lemon Zest zipped up her pale green hoodie. Her long yellow and teal-streaked hair was tied back in a long braid that reached to her waist. She wore knee length shorts of a turquoise color, as well as striped pink and blue socks.

The only thing left to do was put on her blades.

Lemon Zest tied up her green rollerblades like she did whenever she would go out. All ready. Lemon Zest opened the door and stepped into the cool night air. She breathed in its fresh scent.

I love nighttime, Lemon Zest thought as she skated down the sidewalk. Especially spring nights like these. Spring was Lemon Zest's favorite season. After being cooped up all winter, she could finally go outside and rollerblade!

Rollerblading was Lemon Zest's passion, besides being her gig during the Friendship Games. When she was zooming down the road, Lemon Zest could forget all her troubles. She felt free.

Lemon Zest turned a curve and zipped across the street. Lemon Zest smiled as she thought about how Sugarcoat might've reprimanded her.

"'Lemon, don't rush into crossing the street. It's dangerous!'" She mimicked her friend's concern perfectly. Right now, Lemon Zest wasn't too concerned with the rules.

"What a shame," Lemon Zest murmered as she bladed through a particularly forested neighborhood, "that nobody's out on such a nice night!"

Lemon Zest was on a mission. Not only did she want to escape the dull routine of her family, at least for the night, but she wanted to find the portal Sour Sweet had informed her about.

Lemon Zest quickly ducked under some low-hanging branches.

"What did Sour Sweet say?" she muttered, trying to recall. "She was pushed by Pinkie Pie back into the statue? Seems legit." Lemon Zest smiled before she realized something.

"Oh, shoot!" she cursed. "I forgot to put my lipstick on!" Lipstick was a priority. She was no diva, but Lemon Zest wanted to look her best if she was ever invited to a flash mob.

"I wonder if there'll be a flash mob at the portal," Lemon Zest mused. "Eh, probably not. Sour Sweet didn't tell anyone else, did she?"

Lemon Zest considered a blessing and a curse that she lived relatively near CHS. On one hand, she didn't have many excuses for being late. On the other hand, the distance allowed for late night escapades like this one.

"Here we are!" Lemon Zest zoomed right across the street and onto CHS's grounds.

I wonder if this could count as loitering. Or breaking the law. Or will get me in trouble, Lemon Zest mused as she bladed up to the statue.

The statue, the one of the stallion, was intimidating in the dark. Exaggerated shadows were cast onto the walls of the school. As Lemon Zest skated around into the shadows, she felt like she was walking on the dark side of the moon.

Lemon Zest unlaced her blades. She dipped two fingers into the statue. The marble surface rippled at her touch.

"Woah," Lemon Zest breathed. She was completely taken by the notion of dimensional travel.

"No regrets," she muttered, right before she jumped into the portal.

~

Lemon Zest blinked her eyes open. Everything was silent. Even the faint sound of cars screeching in the distance was gone. Moonlight fell on her

"Crystal," she muttered, gazing at the familiar material beneath her. Lemon Zest ran a hoof over the flo- She ran a hoof.

Lemon Zest's orange eyes widened as she stared at the hoof in the bright moonlight. Of course, she had been prepared to become a pony, but she was a pony. A pony.

The moonshine provided just enough light for Lemon Zest to observe her reflection. Her braid was still in. Now sitting, Lemon Zest's braid sprawled out on the floor next to her. Nestled in her lemon mane was a pink horn.

"I'm a unicorn!" Lemon Zest gasped in delight.

"Okay, so I'm a unicorn, what now?" Lemon Zest asked herself quietly. She carefully stood up on her hooves. The moon was still overhead; what could she do while it was still night?

Lemon Zest's new, sensitive pony ears suddenly pricked. The sound was faint, put she could distinctly a song playing downstairs. A catchy song, at that. What the heck is that?

As if in a trance, Lemon Zest cautiously walked down a flight of stairs. With each (wobbly) step she took, the sound became stronger. She could even make out lyrics!

"When you walk into the roooom," sang out a girly voice. Lemon Zest wrinkled her nose.

"Sounds like one of those old 80s songs they play on the radio," she remarked. Still, it was catchy. Who was playing music at this hour?

Lemon Zest turned another corner to find a doorway lit up with light. Her eyes widened. This was where the music was coming from! Lemon Zest turned the corner.

Her mouth immediately dropped to the floor.

"In this world we're just beginning..." Twilight Sparkle, the studios girl who had just joined Sour Sweet in the archery division, was dancing along to a song in the middle of the night! Twilight FREAKIN' SPARKLE!

"Twilight?" The name popped out of Lemon Zest's mouth before she could stop it. She backed away into the shadows.

Twilight immediately froze.

"Spike?" she asked tentatively.

That's Twilight's dog, Lemon Zest remembered. Is he still a dog here?

Back to the matter at hand, er, hoof. Lemon Zest cautiously backed up. Maybe Twilight would go back to her dancing?

Twilight popped her head out the doorway.

"Eek!" Lemon Zest squeaked, stumbling away.

"Come back here!" Twilight shouted. "You're not stealing my record player like Sunset Shimmer did!"

Lemon Zest paid no attention. She was too busy running for her life!

The music was still playing as she stumbled up the steps that led to the room she had arrived in.

"Hello!?" Twilight shrieked. "Where are you?!"

"Twilight?" a masculne voice asked.

"SPIKE! There's an intruder in our house! We must install a security alarm!"

"Calm down, Twi-"

Lemon Zest didn't stop to hear the rest of the conversation. She dove straight into the portal.


"Lemon Zest? W-what are you doing here?" Lemon Zest looked up to see a familiar classmate with a clipboard and pen in her hands.

"Twilight?" Lemon Zest jumped to her feet. "What are you doing here?"

"Studying this portal- I mean statue!. Erm, where did you come from?"

"Vandalizing the school in a fit of teen angst," Lemon Zest replied, trying to sound casual. "See ya around, Twilight."

"Don't let anybody steal your record player!" she called over her shoulder.

Author's Note:

I was heavily inspired by music in this chapter. :derpytongue2: