• Published 16th Nov 2014
  • 5,465 Views, 562 Comments

X Steps Through The Portal - Tennis Match Fan



Now that the link between the human world and pony world is constantly open through Twilight's magic, students (whether by accident or on purpose) will wander to the other side.

  • ...
19
 562
 5,465

14. Gilda

A low growl formed in Gilda's throat as she drove her convertible down the city streets. Her hand tightened on the steering wheel.

Rainbow Dash had ditched her. Her best friend since Cloudsdale Junior High, one of the most loyal kids Gilda knew, and when the two had agreed to meet at the mall on Saturday, Rainbow Dash had never shown up.

Gilda had no idea what was going on with Rainbow Dash. The two had been spending less and less time together, Rainbow always off with friends at her school, Canterlot High. And that was why Gilda was cutting class on a Wednesday morning. If Rainbow wouldn't meet with her on the weekends, Gilda would meet with Rainbow during the week.

Seeing the school a few hundred feet ahead of her, Gilda pulled over her convertible. She parked it under an oak tree with leaves turning from green to all shades of orange. Gilda stepped out of the car, stretching like she usually did. Sitting in one spot was one thing Gilda didn't like to do.

As Gilda began walking towards the school, she was aware of her brown army boots loudly clomping down the sidewalk. They matched her aviator jacket and tan cargo pants. One other thing Gilda didn't like to admit was how awesome she felt in her outfit. Gilda felt like she could command armies with her outfit.

"Now to find what that ditcher is up to," Gilda muttered as she pulled out her phone. She punched in Rainbow Dash's phone number and waited for her "friend" to pick up. Fortunately, the wait wasn't long.

"Gilda?" Rainbow asked. "Why are you calling? Normal people just text."

"You know I prefer to do stuff head-on," Gilda responded, staring up at CHS. "Hey, can you come outside for a moment?"

"Wait, are you outside my school? Your skipping class?" Gilda found it hard to believe that the shocked voice on the other end of the phone belonged to hardcore Rainbow Dash.

"Yeah, so what, Dash? It's all good. Just come on out." Without waiting for a reply, Gilda hung up. She took out a pack of bubblegum. Tossing it into her mouth, Gilda began to work her jaws to mash it up.

A minute later, Rainbow Dash came jogging out of the school. From the expression on her face, Gilda knew she wasn't very happy.

"What are you doing here?" Rainbow asked angrily. "Come on, Gilda, I thought you were better than this!"

"And I thought you were cooler than to leave your friend and never show up at the mall," Gilda responded, chewing on her gum. "I had loads of fun pranks planned!" Rainbow opened her mouth to respond, then apparently rethought her answer. She shut her mouth.

"No offense, Gilda," Rainbow finally said, "but I have other friends now. And... I kinda think you've been going the wrong way with you pranks."

"Wrong way?" Gilda snapped, angry and insulted at the same time. "My pranks are harmless!"

"Yeah, like blaming shoplifting on another customer." Rainbow folded her arms, clearly unimpressed by the memory of the last time they had hung out together. "Hey, Gilda, no hard feelings, but I don't think we should hang out until your pranks are more..." Rainbow struggled to find a word.

"Uncool? Boring? Lame?" Gilda suggested coolly. Inside, however, she didn't feel nearly as cool. Gilda was smoldering from her friend's burn!

Or ex-friend, Gilda thought as Rainbow retorted, "No! I was going to say controlled."

"Yeah, well whatever, Rainbow Dash!" Gilda shoved her hands into her pockets. "If you're going to be like this, I don't wanna be your friend anymore."

"Wait!" Just as Gilda began to pass the statue outside of the school, Rainbow put a hand out to stop her.

"What is it?" Gilda asked, her voice void of enthusiasm.

"This." Rainbow grabbed Gilda's shoulders and shoved her against the statue.

"Hey!" Gilda cried as she braced for pain. Surprisingly, Gilda felt none. All she felt was a falling sensation. Rainbow Dash disappeared from view.

"Aaaaaaaaaaaah!" Gilda screamed.


Rainbow Dash watched Gilda fall through the portal.

"If anyone can teach Gilda the magic of friendship in a limited time, it's Twilight," she stated confidently. "When Gilda comes back, she'll be a new girl!"

Gilda sat up immediately, as soon as she felt solid ground beneath her.

"What the heck is wrong with Rainbow?" She asked herself furiously. "Sends me to- wait, where am I?" Gilda stared down at herself.

She definitely wasn't a human anymore.

"What am I?" Gilda cried, taking in the lion's paws that replaced her feet, the eagle's talons that took the place of hands, and a long, golden, furry tail that was sticking out from beneath Gilda.

A piece of information floated to Gilda's mind.

"A griffon is a mythological creature," Gilda remembered, "with parts from a lion and eagle." Gilda, who had been lying on her back until that point, rolled over. Now she could feel a pair of feathery wings on her back. Slowly, Gilda tried to unfurl them.

"Woah!" Gilda cried. She had not been expecting the wingspan of her brown wings to be ten feet long.

"I wonder if these babies can fly," Gilda wondered aloud. Smirking, she flapped. Fortunately for Gilda, the wings could function.

"Oh yeah!" Gilda hooted in delight, flying circles around the room. "This is the best!"

I wonder if Rainbow Dash could fly, Gilda thought as she brushed back the feathers on her head. Wrong thing to think about. The thought of her dis-loyal friend was enough to halt Gilda's circles.

"Maybe I can't bring my griffon powers back to CHS," Gilda thought aloud, rubbing her chin thoughtfully, "but I can find the Rainbow in this world and make her pay for ditching me." A cruel smirk appeared on Gilda's beak.

Gilda folded her wings against her side and walked down the stairs of the crystal place. It wasn't hard for her to adjust to the change. Gilda didn't stop to think about why it was so easy.

"Rainbow Dash?" She called out. "Hello?"

"Is that-" Gilda's response came when a lavender unicorn peeked into the room. Her purple eyes widened.

"Gilda!" She gasped. The shock on her face, however, quickly dissolved into distaste.

"I'm sorry, but you aren't welcome here," Purple told her crossly. "Please leave."

"No way!" Gilda snorted. "I'm just looking for Rainbow Dash. Do you know her?"

"Know her? Know her? Rainbow's my best friend!" Purple exclaimed, clearly annoyed. "And she certainly does not want to see you." Gilda walked up to Purple. She wasn't intimidated by the pony's pushy attitude.

"Rainbow Dash is a jerk," she stated. "Now, where is she?"

"You're crazy!" Purple replied, backing up a few paces as if Gilda had threatened to eat her. "Rainbow isn't a jerk! She's one of the most loyal friends I have!" Gilda found the irony hilarious.

"So ironic!" She laughed out loud. Now Purple looked really nervous.

"What are you babbling about?" She asked. Gilda ruffled Purple's indigo mane.

"You know?" She asked. "You made me realize I shouldn't be wasting my time on Rainbow Dash. I have Giselle and Gertrude for company! We can do even better pranks on our own! Thanks, Purple!"

"It's Twilight," Purple muttered. "Please leave."

"Sure thing." Gilda spread her wings and flew back upstairs.

"Wait, what?" Twilight shouted. "Where are you going?" Gilda paid no attention to the question.

"I totally can't wait to tell my real friends I became a griffon!" Gilda laughed before she stepped back through the portal.

When Gilda emerged, Rainbow was waiting for her with an expectant look on her face.

"Well?" She asked hopefully.

"Yeah, I'm leaving now, Rainbow Ditch," Gilda told her smugly. Rainbow's mouth dropped open.

"Wait, what?" Gilda paid no attention to the question.

Twilight climbed the stairs and looked around the floor. The only things in the room were some bookshelves, a window, and the portal.

Twilight sucked in her breath. The portal. Was that where Gilda had come from?

"No way," Twilight assured herself. "You're just over thinking things, Twilight." She took one last look, then trotted back downstairs.