• Published 16th Nov 2014
  • 5,463 Views, 562 Comments

X Steps Through The Portal - Tennis Match Fan



Now that the link between the human world and pony world is constantly open through Twilight's magic, students (whether by accident or on purpose) will wander to the other side.

  • ...
19
 562
 5,463

36. Sassaflash

"You know what I see when I look up at the sky?" Sassaflash asked her best friend, Sea Swirl, as they sat on the bleachers.

"What?" Sea Swirl answered, looking up.

"Fairies there-" Sassaflash pointed to a group of cirrus clouds. "And cupcakes over there!" She waved her hand at some thick puffy clouds to their right.

"Uh, I don't see fairies, per say..." Sea Swirl trailed off, wrapping her hands tighter around her torso as wind blew in. "Gosh, this track meet is so long!"

"We have to support Dizzy Twister!" Sassaflash countered. "And she doesn't run for another half hour!"

"I don't see why we couldn't have brought along some cheeseburgers while we waited," Sea Swirl grumbled.

"I actually don't know why," Sassaflash admitted. Sea Swirl rolled her eyes.

"Look, there's Caramel." She nudged Sassaflash as one of the track competitors approached the finish line.

"Go, Caramel!" they called, cheering as Caramel crossed the finish line.

"His hair is so cute!" Sassaflash sighed, watching as he high-fived his teammates.

"...I regret pointing him out to you now." Sea Swirl looked around for something to occupy herself.

"Hey, Sea Swirl? Don't you just wish you could fly into the clouds and live there?" Sassaflash stared up with a dreamy expression on her face.

"Actually, it would be funner, I mean, more fun, to be a unicorn," Sea Swirl decided. "No more work! I could use magic for everything!"

"But you'd never be up in the sky." Sassaflash leaned back and closed her eyes, imaging an expanse of white fluff in front of her.

"I shouldn't've worn a crop top," Sea Swirl muttered, hunching down in her seat. "This wind is h-"

"Sassaflash!"

"Aaah!" Sassaflash and Sea Swirl jumped out of their seats when Pinkie Pie popped up between them.

"You scared the c-"

"I've got a deal for you, Sassaflash!" Pinkie Pie interrupted Sea Swirl once more.

"What is it?" Sassaflash queried.

"How would you like to live in the skies for one day as a pegasus?" Pinkie asked excitedly. "I checked with my double in the pony world. You're a pegasus, and this is totally possible!"

"Woah, really?" Sassaflash's carrot orange eyes lit up in excitement.

"Well, not a day, but I've enlisted the help of my good friend Pinkie Pie's counterpart Rainbow Dash to help you!"

"OHMIGOSH!" Sassaflash fangirled in a squeaky voice.

"I'm not following," Sea Swirl remarked. "You're friends with yourself, Pinkie?" Pinkie nodded vigorously, her pink curls bobbing along.

"I'm totally accepting!" Sassaflash told Pinkie. "When do we go?!"

"Just follow me!" In the next moments, Pinkie was skipping away, leaving Sassaflash to scramble after her.

"Hey!" Sea Swirl got up, half attempting to follow. "What about Dizzy?"

"This is way more important!" Sassaflash called as she hopped over a bench. Sea Swirl sat back down, bewildered.

"She's as unpredictable as the wind," she commented. "I swear, the cloud watching has gotten into her head. Now, about that cheeseburger..."

"So I just go through there?" Sassaflash asked, prodding at the portal. Each time, her finger slid straight through.

"Well, hold on a minute." The tip of Pinkie's tongue extended out of her mouth as she scribbled furiously in a book. "You can go through right about... in thirty seconds!"

"Thanks, Pinkie," Sassaflash responded. "This is gonna be awesome!"

"No problemo!" Pinkie chirped, tucking the pen back into her hair. "You can go now!"

Sassaflash nodded and took a breath. Without a second thought, she jumped in.

~

"Pinkie, seriously, who are we waiting for?" A familiar voice was the first thing Sassaflash heard when she was on the other side of the portal.

"I told you, Sassa-Oh my gosh she's here!" Sassaflash opened her eyes just as Pinkie Pie finished talking and bowled into her.

"Pinkie!" Sassaflash gasped.

"Sassaflash?" The pony version of Rainbow Dash scratched her head, confused. "Pinkie only told me I needed to help someone. I never guessed it would be you."

"Sassaflash here has always dreamed of flying with the clouds!" Pinkie chirped, extending a hoof. Sassaflash grabbed hold and pulled herself up.

"I don't get it." Rainbow was clearly confused as a traveler caught in a thick fog. "You've been able to fly your whole life, Sassaflash!"

"This is really cool!" Sassaflash ignored Rainbow's comment and flexed her new wings. "I can't wait to feel the wind through my hair! I mean mane!"

"Wait, are you from the world with hands?" Rainbow realized. Pinkie and Sassaflash nodded.

"But you can't tell Twilight!" Pinkie added. "She doesn't know!" Rainbow blinked.

"Right. Your secret's safe with me, as long as this doesn't become a regular thing."

~One Half-hearted Flying Lesson Later

Rainbow groaned. "Pinkie, why can't you take her up in a balloon? Newbies just can't fly as high as Sassaflash wants to go on their own- unless, of course, they're as awesome as me. But still!"

"Couldn't you just carry me?" Sassaflash asked. Rainbow's lesson in flight had helped somewhat, and she was hovering several inches above the floor currently.

"Yeah, Dashie!" Pinkie added. "Carry her!" Rainbow groaned again and ran a hoof through her mane.

"Do I have to?" she whined.

Time to call in backup, Sassaflash decided. She widened her orange eyes and pursed her lips in a small pout.

"What?" Rainbow's eye twitched as Sassaflash's ear flipped up and down.

"Pwease?" she asked in an adorable squeaky voice. Pinkie joined in, and both ponies dropped to their knees.

"Argh!" Rainbow backed away. "Must resist Diapinkies and Sassabetes!"

"Pwease?" "Pweety pwease?" "Wit spwinkles on top?" Sassaflash and Pinkie only continued to increase their adorable levels.

"FINE!" Rainbow yelled. "I'll carry you, Sassaflash!"

"Yay!" Sassaflash cheered, jumping into the air.

Pinkie and Rainbow Dash led Sassaflash outside.

"Ready?" Rainbow Dash asked, grabbing Sassaflash right under her forehooves.

"Ready!" Sassaflash replied, giving Rainbow Dash a salute. Rainbow pulled Sassaflash up, into the blue into the blue skies.

"Have a nice trip!" Pinkie waved from below. "See ya next fall!"

"Higher! Higher!" Sassaflash chanted.

"I'm flying, I'm flying!" Rainbow Dash protested. As they passed a cloud, Sassaflash took a kick at it.

"Woah!" she exclaimed when the cloud dissolved.

"You're like an overgrown foal!" Rainbow groaned. "I'm never gonna have foals! Anyways, let's just get you to this clo- Would you stop kicking? It doesn't help, at all!" Sassaflash, who had been kicking left and right, stopped and looked sheepishly at Rainbow Dash.

"Sorry, Dash," she apologized. "Why do we need to get to a cloud?"

"So I can stop carrying you and you can stand on it," Rainbow answered. "Almost there!" With one final push, Rainbow flew up to the cloud and dropped Sassaflash onto the fluffy mass.

"Oh my gosh!" Sassaflash gasped, immediately digging her hooves into the cloud. "It's so soft!"

"This is what I work with everyday." Rainbow leisurely fell back into the cloud. "Sometimes I need to fight to stay awake."

"This is so amazing!" Sassaflash sighed, gazing down at the ground. Pinkie was a pink blob in a sea of green grass. The crystal-ly palace place was several yards below them. "Thanks for taking me up here, Rainbow Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa-" Sassaflash was suddenly thrust forward into the sky. Rainbow Dash's cackle echoed in her ears

"HELP MEEE!" Sassaflash screamed as she plummeted towards the ground.

"Use your wings!" Rainbow Dash yelled. Sassaflash shut her eyes and-

Suddenly, the falling sensation stopped, and Sassaflash opened her eyes. Her wings were spread wide. She was gliding!

"Go, Sassaflash!" Pinkie cheered. Now that Sassaflash was closer to the ground, Pinkie was no longer a pink blot.

Rainbow swooped down to join her.

"My unusual teaching strategy worked!" she laughed. "Pushing you off the cloud was hilarious!" Sassaflash beamed.

"I didn't get killed, so I'm not mad at you!"

"Good!" Rainbow nodded.

"In fact!" Sassaflash continued, "I've decided to stay here in your pony world!"

Rainbow froze mid flight.

"Pinkston, we have a problem."

Author's Note:

"