• Published 16th Nov 2014
  • 5,457 Views, 562 Comments

X Steps Through The Portal - Tennis Match Fan



Now that the link between the human world and pony world is constantly open through Twilight's magic, students (whether by accident or on purpose) will wander to the other side.

  • ...
19
 562
 5,457

1. Rarity

Author's Note:

NEW READERS, PLEASE READ!

Welcome to X Steps Through the Portal! :pinkiehappy: I hope this is worth your while. If not, please tell me where I went wrong and how to improve future chapters, instead of just leaving with a downvote! :twilightsmile: Thanks for reading, and enjoy!

Rarity stretched her arms and yawned as she walked out of the front doors of Canterlot High. She was the last student out for the day, having stayed behind to fix some makeup in the bathroom (and forgetting how time flies when you're reapplying mascara).

"What a day!" She exclaimed lazily, stopping to observe the autumn sun, already beginning its descent across the horizon. "All those tests- and, of course, Rainbow Dash's antics in Physical Education." Her mood darkened slightly as she recalled the soccer disaster.

"I'm sure my hair will never be perfect again," Rarity muttered as she shifted her backpack onto her right shoulder. She resumed her steady pace.

As Rarity passed the marble statue in front of Canterlot High, she paused once more.

"I don't suppose it's still open is it?" She asked herself curiously. The details of the ordeal escaped her. Had Twilight closed it, or did the portal to an alternate dimension remain open?

"I suppose it couldn't hurt to check," Rarity told herself, approaching the base of the statue. Tentatively, she reached our with her left hand. To her surprise, Rarity's fingers slipped through!

"I guess it is open, then!" Rarity exclaimed, wiggling her fingers. Although the image in the mirror was a white hoof, she could still feel her fingers. Rarity slipped off her backpack and laid it on the ground beside the portal.

"This whole thing has got me curious," Rarity said, withdrawing her hand. "I wonder if it would be alright for me to- no, no, no!" Rarity shook her head, as if to shrug off her idea. "A lady does not just wander through a portal on whim!

"But then again," she reasoned with herself, "I look awfully adorable with those pony ears and ponytail! Just imagine what I'd look like as a pony! Like a little marshmallow!

"No, Rarity," she argued. "Ponies are filthy creatures! They don't even wear clothes!

"Do you just assume Twilight walks around in the nude?" Rarity scolded herself. "Besides, I would be a pony. I would be covered in fur! And Twilight seems perfectly fine. As does Sunset Shimmer, and they are both from their pony world!"

Rarity froze as a grey-skinned boy walked by, his light blue dog in front of him. As boy and his dog walked past, they gave Rarity a questioning glance. Rarity blushed, and waved. He shrugged, and continued walking, beginning to whistle.

Rarity, still red, turned back to the portal.

"Stop stalling!" She snapped. "Just go! One! Two! Three!" Before Rarity could think twice, she jumped into the portal.

"Baaaaaaaaaad ideeeeeeeeeeeeeea!" Rarity screeched as she spiraled through neon lights, which was apparently what lay between dimensions. Rarity briefly wondered if she was being torn apart, but decided not to dwell on that perspective. She felt like her body was pulled in every direction. In what Rarity assumed was her forehead, a headache began to form. Rarity shut her eyes and prayed it would be over soon.

After half a minute, Rarity became aware the spinning and the headache had stopped. She peeked an eye open. She was lying on a cold, blue surface.

"An I there?" Rarity groaned, struggling to sit up. As she did, she became aware that she had no feeling in her fingers.

Oh no, Rarity thought. She slowly lowered her gaze. On the ground in front of her were two pearly white hooves, which exactly matched her skin tone back at home.

"I'm a pony!" Rarity cried, scrambling up. She whipped her head around, searching for a reflection she could look at. Fortunately, the entire room she was in seemed to be made of crystal.

Rarity peered at her reflection in an amber-colored crystal wall. She was a pony now; no doubt about that! Rarity's purple hair curled off her head into a wave on the left side of her head. But right in front of that was a white horn! Rarity gasped in delight.

"Nopony told me I was a unicorn!" She gushed, taking a wobbly step forward. Rarity hadn't expected it to be easy to walk on for hooves, but it wasn't as hard as she had anticipated. It reminded Rarity of the time she had needed crutches when she was eight. She just needed to find a rhythm.

Rarity turned around to admire the rest of herself.

"What's this?" She exclaimed, gaze on her back. Three blue gems adorned her butt- almost identical to the ones on her skirt back at home.

"No, it's not a 'butt', Rarity," she reminded herself. "The proper term is- what? Flank? Yes, flank. That sounds about right!" Rarity admired her diamond flank for another minute before turning to the rest of the room.

"It looks like a castle of some sorts," she marveled, walking up to a bookshelf in the corner of the room. "Probably Twilight's, hmm?" Rarity cocked her head and stared at the spine of one of the books. Legends of Equestria: Your Guide to All Mythical Beasts and Legends.

"Not interesting." Rarity shrugged. She turned her attention to the matters.

"Twilight!" She called, walking up to a staircase on the other side of the room. "Twilight, dear, are you here?"

"Rarity?" It wasn't Twilight's voice that answered her. It was a familiar upbeat, perky tone that was used by Pinkie Pie.

"What are you doing up there, silly f- Hold on a minute!" A pink pony with a curly fuchsia mane stopped at the base of the stairs, eye wide in shock. Rarity lifted a hoof up in a feeble attempt to wave.

"Um, Hi?"

"You're not pony Rarity!" Pinkie Pie exclaimed, hopping up the stairs. "Let me guess- you came through the portal, right?"

"How did you-" Rarity began in shock, but Pinkie waved a hoof.

"So easy! I'm house-sitting for Twilight today. Nopony's supposed to be here but me! And I know there's a portal to Canterlot High up here!" Pinkie giggled. "Wait, what am I doing? This is your first time being a pony!"

Rarity could barely believe her eyes when confetti, balloons, and cake appeared around her almost instantaneously.

"Happy Coming-to-Equestria Day!" Pinkie cheered, placing a party hat on Rarity's head.

"Pinkie, dear!" Rarity giggled. "It's so exciting, but I won't be staying long. So, while I'm here, why don't you tell me about yourself?"

"Okay!" Pinkie Pie bounced around Rarity.

"But have some cake first!" She added. Pinkie gave Rarity a slice of cake before launching into a story.

"I live in Ponyville with my five best friends which are Pony-You, Twilight Sparkle, Fluttershy, Applejack, and Rainbow Dash! Oh, and Spike too! I'm an apprentice baker and I love to throw parties and also go on adventures! Like one time I cloned myself!" Pinkie beamed. Rarity beamed right back. She took a bite of her strawberry cake. Since Rarity had no knowledge of magic usage, she just scooped some up in her hoof and licked it up.

"That is so similar to my Pinkie!" Rarity responded cheerfully. "She planned the entire school dance! But I bet Twilight already told you that, didn't she?" Rarity winked.

"Actually, no." Pinkie frowned. "She hasn't told us much about our counterparts. And that reminds me-" Pinkie scrunched up her pony nose in concentration.

"Oh no!" Pinkie suddenly bounced straight up in the air, startling Rarity.

"What is it, dear?" Rarity asked, concerned.

"Twilight told me that if I was to meet anypony across the mirror, I was to send her back right away!" Pinkie's blue eyes grew round as she leaned into Rarity's face.

"Oh dear. Well, Pinkie Pie, it has been fun to meet you, but if those are Twilight's rules, I wish to comply," Rarity responded, disappointed. Pinkie frowned.

"Wait! Hold on, I'll be right back!" She rushed downstairs, leaving Rarity alone. She was back in a moment, a book in her hooves.

"What's this?" Rarity asked, twisting her neck to read the title. "'Popular Foal's Tales'?"

"Yup!" Pinkie exclaimed, pushing it into Rarity's hooves. "So you can remember this world, in case Twilight's silly rules don't let you visit again!

"And one more thing! Show the Pinkie Pie in your universe the last page, please!"

"I will," Rarity promised her.

"I'M BACK, PINKIE!" Twilight's voice rang out from downstairs. Panic flashed across Pinkie's face. She grabbed Rarity in a giant hug.

"Bye, friend!" She whispered. "No go, before she finds you!" Pinkie released Rarity, who stumbled back to the mirror.

"PINKIE?" Twilight called again.

"COMING!" Pinkie responded. Turning around, she winked at Rarity before returning downstairs. Rarity smiled, clutched her book, and faced the portal. Rarity shut her eyes and jumped.

When she opened her eyes, Rarity was lying on the sidewalk in front of Canterlot High.

"Well, wasn't that the adventure?" She murmured, flexing her fingers. "Still it's good to be back to myself!" Rarity traced a finger on the book's cover.

"I'm reading this as soon as I get home," she promised herself, standing up. She grabbed her backpack and began to walk to her car.