• Published 16th Nov 2014
  • 5,461 Views, 562 Comments

X Steps Through The Portal - Tennis Match Fan



Now that the link between the human world and pony world is constantly open through Twilight's magic, students (whether by accident or on purpose) will wander to the other side.

  • ...
19
 562
 5,461

5. Rainbow Dash

“C’mon kick the ball! Kick it!!! Argh!!!”

Rainbow Dash screamed in the Canterlot High bleachers, squeezing her own soccer ball between her palms. The coach on the field was now yelling.

“Lame,” Rainbow muttered as the other team scored. "I mean, yeah, I was so much better than them when I was their age, but who cares?" Rainbow dropped the ball and began bouncing it on her knee.

The phone in her pocket suddenly vibrated. Rainbow bounced the ball one last time, and it neatly landed in her hands. Rainbow took her phone out.

"Hey Applejack. Sup?” Holding the phone up to her ear, Rainbow spoke up. "Helloo!?"

"Hey Rainbow! Jus' checkin' to see what you're doing!"

"I'm just watching some little kids play soccer!" Rainbow answered casually. "But I think they'll finish up soon."

“So you're free!" Applejack released her breath. "So, um, maybe later ya wanna stop by the farm? Ah could use some help with the harvest 'n such! Fluttershy'll come too!"

"Harvesting apples?" Rainbow repeated in uninterested disbelief. "You want me to do that?” Rainbow winced at her own words, imagining Applejack's feelings hurt. “Um. I mean, sure! I'd love to come!"

"That'd be great!" Applejack responded cheerfully. If she had noticed Rainbow's slip, she didn't mention it. "See ya later!"

"Bye!" Rainbow ended the call.

"Might as well leave now," she decided. Hopping down the rows of bleachers, Rainbow Dash waved to the members of the team as she left the field. Rainbow expertly dribbled her soccer ball as she headed to the front of the school, were she had laid her scooter.

"Oh yeah!" Rainbow landed an extra hard kick on the ball. It sailed upward, then came whizzing down. Rainbow watched in amazement as her ball bounced at just the right angle- right into the statue!

"That's a feat of awesomeness!" Rainbow pumped her first up in the air and ran to the statue. She was aware of the portal there, just as the rest of her friends were aware.

"Actually, I've been looking for an excuse to get in there." Rainbow Dash rubbed her hands in anticipation. "And this looks like the perfect one!

"I wonder if I'll have those epic wings on me like I did during the Battle of the Bands," Rainbow continued, whipping out her phone. "That would be so cool, I could fly high in the sky!" Rainbow opened up the camera app and put her left arm through the portal. She snapped a picture of it and grinned at the resulting image.

"Nobody's gonna call me a liar with this picture!" Rainbow exclaimed. "Now, enough talk. Let's get this on!" Rainbow Dash sprinted on through the portal.

It was like riding the Tilt-A-Whirl at the Spring Carnival. Rainbow felt nauseous as she spiraled through an endless multitude of colors.

"Geeeeeeeeet murderers ouuuuut ooooooooof heeeeeeeeere!" Rainbow screamed. She wanted to put her hands up to amplify the message, but they seemed glued to her sides. Rainbow had no choice but to continue helplessly on her path through dimensions.

When Rainbow finally passed into the next world, she flew straight out and into a wall.

"Oh!" she cried. Rainbow hung there, upside down, for a moment, until she fell flat on her face.

"This world isn't too kind to me, is it?" Rainbow asked, rubbing her head.

"Wait- I have hooves!" Rainbow exclaimed, noticing with what she was rubbing her head. Rainbow had felt the sensation before- she knew that there was a pair of sky blue, feathery wings on her back.

"Oh yeah!" Rainbow exclaimed. "This is so cool!" From previous experience, Rainbow knew exactly what to do. She flapped her wings, and she slowly rose into the air after a few beats.

"Look who's the best athlete ever!" Rainbow crowed, flying around the room. "This girl- er, this pony!" Noticing the stairs, Rainbow flew straight down them, skimming the steps as she flew. Totally oblivious to her surroundings, the new Pegasus was in her element. She soared out of whatever building she was in and up into the clear blue skies.

"I can see the entire world!" Rainbow exclaimed. She could see everything for miles. The building she had been in looked like a crystal castle. A little town was nestled between miles of trees. In the distance, Rainbow could see the ridges of hills and steep mountains.

"This is the best day of my life!" Rainbow's voice rose to a squeak by the last word. Never before had she enjoyed such an experience!

"Rainbow!" Rainbow's wings stopped flapping for a split second. Someone was calling her name!

"Uh, yeah?" She asked feebly, looking around for the source. A wisteria-colored Pegasus flew up to join her.

"Rainbow Dash, we've been looking all over for you!" She exclaimed. "Raindrops lost the weather schedule. What are we due for right now?"

"Um, clear skies?" Rainbow guessed. "And, uh-"

"Yes?" The mare asked, raising an eyebrow in suspicion.

"Tell Raindrops to be more careful," Rainbow finished. Internally, she kicked herself. You can do so much better, Rainbow!

"Actually, wait!" Rainbow straightened up as best she could. "It's not entirely clear skies. Near the west, put some cirrus clouds. You know? Make it look pretty for sunset!" The mare nodded.

"That's a good idea, Rainbow," she answered." Rainbow nodded proudly.

"It comes naturally, uh, Rainbow," she took a stab at naming with the mark on the pony's flank, a rainbow with three stripes. The pony rolled her eyes.

"I told you, it's Rainbowshine, not Rainbow on its own," Rainbowshine answered. "I'll send your reply back to the weather team. Thanks, Rainbow!" Rainbow crossed her forarms in satisfaction.

"All in a day's work!" She answered as Rainbowshine flew away.

"Now, let's see how fast I can fly!" Rainbow exclaimed, grinning like she was plotting to steal a body. Aiming for a specific spot on the ground, Rainbow began to flap her wings faster. Wind rushed in her ears as she dive-bombed the spot! Her mane rushed back. Rainbow had never felt more exhilarated. Even soccer didn't compare!

She was going so fast, Rainbow barely noticed the ground rushing to meet her. Right before she hit the ground, though, she pulled up.

"That was a close one!" Rainbow exclaimed, landing on the grass nearby. She watched as a bunny darted across the clearing. A sudden yawn caught Rainbow off guard.

"Who knew dive-bombing in an alternate universe was so exhausting!" She joked. "I guess I'd better get back to my world- however amazing this one is!" Rainbow began to flap her wings again, and she was mere inches above the ground on her track back to that crystal place.

By the time she reached the front doors, Rainbow had had enough flying. She dragged her hooves as she walked up the stairs to the portal. Out of the corner of her eye, Rainbow noticed her soccer ball sitting at the bottom of the stairs.

"Gotta get this!" She yawned. Tucking it under her wing, Rainbow returned to the room where the portal to her world was.

"Just one more thing," Rainbow decided. She gently plucked a feather from her wing. On the crystal wall, she etched the message, "Rainbow Dash was here!".

"There," she murmured. "Perfect." Rainbow's eyelids drooled as she entered the portal.

On the other side, Rainbow lay on the sidewalk, half asleep. She was wearing her regular clothes again, and her soccer ball was at her side.

"Let me just... oh, come on!" Rainbow Dash angrily pushed buttons on her phone. "That stupid picture didn't save!" Rainbow closed her eyes and heaved a tired sigh.

"I will lie here forever."