• Published 20th Oct 2014
  • 23,503 Views, 708 Comments

The Human And The Well - Zandar13



Just a normal day for our human Adrian when his curiosity leads him astray to a shimmering well. After falling into the well he finds himself in another world filled with strange multicolored ponies! What shall he do next?

  • ...
77
 708
 23,503

PreviousChapters Next
The Princess Of Love Meets A Human And The Study Of Magic

---------- 4 ½ Hours Later ----------

“OH! OH! OH! MY TURN!” Pinkie said as energetically as ever before she did a complete three sixty degree turn while looking around for an object and finally settling on one she said “OK! I spy with my little eye something green and purple!”

The rest of us began searching all over the inside of the train car and outside to try and find an object that was both green and purple, though at first we all thought it was going to be easy since there is not a lot with those two colors. But after a minute or so of searching we all gave up and asked what it was. Pinkie giggled first before saying “It's Adrian eye!” she pointed a hoof at said eye which caused us all to groan.

“That wasn't fair Pinkie, I can't see my own eyes” I said jokingly.

“I know but it was still funny! And I can't help but notice them, their so colorful and sparkly!” Pinkie said with a smile.

“Not to mention totally wicked and cool! Almost like me, but nothing can ever compare to me of course” Rainbow boasted.

“Rainbows boasting aside, I am wondering sugarcube why yer eyes are like that now” Applejack said.

“Actually we are not completely sure about that Applejack, that is one of the main reasons we are heading over to the Crystal Empire and researching. It might be something simple as his bodies natural reaction to magic and trying to compensate or it could mean something more serious and hurtful to himself and others” Twilight explained.

“Ah see! Well I hope nothings wrong with ya Adrian, would hate ta see something bad happen to ya” Applejack said to me.

“I appreciate that Applejack, but I am willing to bet that it is nothing serious and simply me reacting to magic. Though it could of done that without my hair exploding” I said with a pout as I ran my hand through my long white hair.

“Well I like it! It looks like you have a mane like us now!” Pinkie said before she crawled her way behind me and wrapped my hair around her like a cloak “Ooooooooh! And its super soft! What do you think girls? You like?” she asked as she let my hair rest naturally on her and posed like a supermodel.

“Shoot sugarcube, you actually look good with his white hair mixed with yer own Pinkie” Applejack said.

“Really?! SQUEEEE~” Pinkie said with a squeak before my hair fell in her eyes then she scooted back and latched herself to my back “And now I have the perfect hiding spot! A warm and comfy hiding spot heeeeee” I rolled my eyes before glancing outside and saw that it had turned into a winter wonderland outside and thankfully it was not snowing so I could see into the distance, though all I saw were white mountains and a few trees.

“So, is it always winter time up here?” I asked.

“Yes it is, the Crystal Empire is always surrounded by snow and ice but thanks to the magic of the crystal heart and the ponies love keeps back the snow and the cold and out of the city” Twilight told us.

“Ah, I see. Magic really is amazing. Hopefully I can learn how to control it and not pass out” I said with a laugh.

“Well that is why we are here after and we should be pulling in probably within the next fifteen minutes or so” Twilight said.

“Alright, quick question. Are there any special rules or customs I need to know about before we arrive?” I asked.

“Not really, but I would suggest that you do not talk or mention King Sombra at all. Most, if not all, of the crystal ponies are still afraid of him and don't like talking about him or anything related to him” she explained.

“Well that won't be a problem since I don't have any knowledge of him anyway” I said

“Excellent! Other than that, just prepare yourself for their reactions to you. I sent a letter to Cadence before we left describing our situation and a little about you as well as a current picture of you so she could inform the Empire and not have them freak out or anything” Twilight said.

“Wow, thank you Twilight. Your always a step or two ahead” I complimented her.

“Well it always helps to be prepared and take everything into account. One small lesson I learned from Celestia” she said with a beaming smile.

“So real quick, what are Princess Cadence and Shining Armor like?” I asked her.

“You'll really like them both! Shining will probably a little cautious of you at first since part of his guard training to is assess anything new and determine if it is a threat or not. Nothing against you of course!” she quickly added and I replied with a smile and a nod “Once he is past that he is really goofy and a bit nerdy, while in Canterlot Academy he had a small group of friends who loved to play a game called Oubliettes & Ogres. But he is also really kind and sweet and would anything for a pony in need”

“Cadence was my foal sitter when I was little and so we practically grew up together and she is the most kind and wonderful mare ever! She is also sweet and gentle and has so much love for every pony! She is amazing and I am so happy that she is my sister-in-law!” Twilight said with a smile a mile long.

I felt Pinkie climb up my back and whispered into my ear “Just wait until you see their special dance they do whenever they see each other” she very quietly said before sliding back down.

“Oh and since you don't know, Cadence is a pink Alicorn and Shining is a white and blue unicorn. She is a little bit taller than us but not quite as tall as Celestia. She is probably around Lunas height” Twilight explained to me.

I nodded and was about to ask something else before a brown stallion in a fancy coat came through “We will be arriving at the Crystal Empire in five minutes! All guests be sure to clean your area and pick up any and all personal items and luggage! Again! We will be arriving at the Crystal Empire in five minutes!” he yelled out before he walked through and into the next car.

“Oh I am so excited to be able to visit Cadence and Shining again! And to be able to visit the Crystal Library and study!” Twilight happily said as she danced in place.

“Unfortunately I will not be sticking around, once we arrive I have to get going to meet Octavia. She got us a dinner reservation at this fancy restaurant that she has been raving on and on about. If you have some spare time then you should totally meet her Adrian! Of course that is after I tell her all about you!” Vinyl said with a wink and smile.

“I would love to meet her, anyone who can learn to live with you is certainly a special pony indeed” I jokingly said but laughed when she playfully hit my arm.

“Though I will be leaving out some embarrassing aspects on my part, especially the ear scratch part” she said with a pout and I laughed again.

“Well like I said I would love to meet her and hear her perform” I honestly said.

“She would love that, actually it would probably boost her ratings having the only human in Equestria come and see her perform!” Vinyl exclaimed.

“Guess I can't refuse now” I said with a chuckle. After that we quickly exchanged info as she gave me another card that held her address for while she was in the Crystal Empire and a pamphlet for Octavias show with her writing down how to receive free tickets. The train eventually came to a stop and with a few stretches we gathered our things and got off the train and walked over to an empty spot.

“Well this is where I take my leave. I hope to see you girls around!” Vinyl said to the mares and gave them all a quick wave before walking up to me “And I better see you sooner!”

“I promise I will do my very best to come see you and Octavia” I told her as I placed my hand over my heart.

“You better! Now come here” She motioned with her hoof to come closer, so I kneeled down and she gave me a hug, to which I happily gave her one and decided to sneak in a few ear scratches. I felt her melt into me for a few seconds before she snapped back to reality and ended the hug but smiled at me while waving us goodbye.

It was about this time that I noticed something kinda strange, while the ponies around were giving me strange looks as they stared at me I noticed that the ponies were literally shining! It almost looked like someone carved a pony out of crystals and brought it to life. Guess that is why they are called Crystal Ponies. Breaking away from the new sight I turned to Twilight. “So, where are we meeting up with them?” I asked.

Twilight took a quick look around “Well we should be meeting them here at the station and I told them when the train was going to be pulling in. So lets wait here for a few minutes and then go from there” she told us all. Thankfully we did not wait long for we saw a figure heading towards us and going off what Twilight told me I was pretty sure this was her brother.

He was a strong looking stallion with body armor on, though he kept his helmet off. But I saw his eyes staring through me as he inspected me from head to toe, as though he was expecting me to carry a hidden weapon. Figuring the best thing to do was to show that I meant to harm, so once he stopped walking and stood in front of me I did a small bow and smiled while I held out my hand “Hello there sir. My name is Adrian Frost and it is an honor to meet you” I said to him.

He looked a little surprised at my greeting but after taking one more glance over he relaxed a little and shook my hand “Good to meet you Adrian, so this is what a human looks like” he said as he inspected my hand in his hoof. He finally let it down and he smiled wide as he spotted Twilight and the two ran to each other and embraced. “TWILY! It is so good to see you again lil sis!”

Twilight giggled but hugged him more “I am so happy to see you again BBBFF!” she said before they finally let go of each other and started small talking back and forth.

I turned to Applejack and quietly said “What's BBBFF?”

“Big Brother Best Friend Forever. Something they call each other since they were foals” she explained to me.

“So Shining, where is Cadence? I thought you both were going to meet us?” Twilight asked Shining.

“I told her to wait until I checked him out. I trusted your letter to us but I just wanted to see for myself before introducing her” he told her.

“I understand, so where is she then?” Twilight asked.

“Give me a moment” Shining said. He lifted his head and charged his horn before releasing a small red ball into the air before it vanished “I told her to wait close by until she saw that signal. She should be here any-” at that moment a flash of pink zoomed past them and slammed into me as I felt myself being crushed by a set of hooves “-moment. Cadence?!?” Shining confusingly shouted out.

“OH MY GOSH! HE IS SO CUTE!” the pink alicorn declared as she continued her hug while rolling us both back and forth on the ground, her wings wrapped around me and her face nuzzling mine. “He looked so adorable in the photo but he is even cuter up close! SQUEEEEEEEEEE~!”

The four mares and stallion had utterly confused looks as they witnessed me being hugged and squeezed by the giggling alicorn mare, and by this time my face was as red an apple. “C-c-Cadence! What in Celestia are you doing?!” Shining worryingly called out.

“Whatever do you mean dear husband?” she said to him with a blank face, as if he had just said something crazy and she was acting normal “As you can see I am welcoming our guest!”

“By hugging him and calling him cute?!” Shining said as he stared at us.

“Well of course! What else did you expect me to do if I see something cute! I was like this when we visited the pet store in Saddle Arabia and I saw those adorable tiger kittens!” she explained by snuggling me a bit more and her face turned into one of absolute joy and bliss while she ran a hoof through my hair.

“Yes but they were pets and animals, this is.....well.......not” Shining tried to explain before turning to Twilight “Right?”

Twilight stood there mouth agape before she registered that he asked her a question and shook her head to clear her thoughts “Y-yes. Adrian is a human being from another world” she said.

“GASP! Your from another world? Amazing! Well I guess that explains why your cute!” she told me before snuggling me even more.

“It does?” all five ponies said simultaneously.

“It does! His cuteness is out of this world!” she said in all seriousness before she nuzzled my cheek, my face felt like it was going to explode any second now and I think steam was starting to drift from my head. But right after she said that I heard four moans reply to her terrible joke but only one set of laughter, no need to guess which pony that came from. Pinkie.

“Um, Cadence?” Twilight finally spoke up which finally made Cadence release me from her grip as she made her way to Twilight.

“Twilight! Oh it is so good to see you!” the two hugged before they faced each other and started to do a little dance while they both sang “Sunshine, sunshine, ladybugs awake! Clap your hooves and do a little shake!” afterwards they hugged again and like Shining they engaged in small talk and tried to catch up with each other. I sat there dazed and confused as to what just happened.

Rainbow was the first to help me up to my feet but not before she snickered “Well, looks like you have a fan”

“I know! Which is good for you!” Pinkie Pie said which made the rest of us confused, especially Shining.

“How is that good?” said stallion asked.

“Its good cause all you need to do now Adrian is use your ear scratch on her and add her to your collection!” Pinkie happily said as she bounced around me but the look on Shinings face was one of confusion and slight horror.

“Collection?!?” he shouted as he took a step back and charged his horn but thankfully the girls came to my aid and shielded me from him.

“She didn't mean it like that Shining! Honest! It's just a bit of an inside joke is all!” Rainbow quickly defended me and after the others agreed he finally lowered his horn but gave me a scrutinized look.

“Well, what did she mean by that then?” he curiously asked.

It was at this did Pinkie happily smiled before she leaped and bounded over to me and forced me to sit down before taking her normal spot next to me and wiggled her ear. Finding I probably had no choice I reached over and began the ear scratch and turned her into goo which a silly grin “Theeeeeeeese ish what I meant by thaaaaaaaaat” she groggily said which in turn made the girls laugh.

Shining stared in disbelief but after a few seconds started to chuckle along as well “I-I see. Sorry that I misinterpreted this......action” he said while stifling his laughter “So how many others have you.....collected?” he asked.

Before I could speak Pinkie jumped up with renewed vigor and answered with “Well besides me, he also has the CMC, Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, Derpy, Vinyl, and even Princess Luna!”

Rainbow blushed before she pounded her hoof on the ground “I am not! Like I said I was just curious as to what all the fuss was about, that's all!” she said before she took to the air with an embarrassed look on her face.

Shining was about to comment before he was knocked aside by the same pink blur as before but she stopped right before me and stared at me “Did you just say you collected Princess Luna?” she asked.

“He sure did! Isn't that right Adrian?” Pinkie said which I responded with by rolling my eyes and petting her head which seemed to squeak under my hand.

“And you did this by simply performing an ear scratch?” Cadence asked.

“Well Princess Cadence, in Princess Luna's case it was The Royal Ear Scratch. With Pinkie and the others it was The Ear Scratch” I embarrassingly said.

“Oh please Adrian, just call me Cadence. I won't have a cute thing like you call me so formally!” she happily said which only made me blush “And if you don't mind, perhaps later you could also give me The Royal Ear Scratch?” Cadence pleaded to me with a sad pouty face and twinkling eyes.

“I-I-I would be honored” I finally made out which earned me another delightful squeak from her.

Twilight interrupted by doing a fake cough to catch our attention “That should wait for later, we should start heading over to the library so we can start our research” she told us all.

“Your absolutely right Twilight! Lets go do that right now!” Shining called out as he gently leaded his wife away from us and most likely in the direction of the library. She looked back at me with a sad face but continued walking and sighed. The rest of us slowly followed behind and after a minute I bent down to Twilight to ask her a question.

“Hey Twilight, did you say something to her while you two were talking?” I asked her.

“Mostly yes, I just told her not to be so........loving. I wasn't sure how comfortable you were so I asked her to ease up a little. Why? Did you already notice?” Twilight jokingly asked with that last question which made me give out a slight grunt.

“Implications aside, yes I did notice by the fact that she did not hug me again when she somehow learned about the ear scratch thing or beg me to give her one. That and look” I pointed at Cadence who was visibly shaking and her wings were extended and twitched nervously. “She looks like she is holding herself back”

Twilight saw this and sighed and was about to say something before she noticed that Cadence had stopped walking and simply stood in place and was shaking like a leaf, Shining was next to her asking if she was alright. No answer was heard so we all rushed up to her and saw her face which looked conflicted and in pain. I went to stand in front of her and I saw her flinch a bit but she bit her lip and began to sweat a little. Finally after Shining asked again we finally heard her say “I-I-I can't hold back for much longer”

Shining and the other girls, besides Twilight, were confused and Shining asked what she meant, to which she replied with “Urge to hug and cuddle.......ever growing” and with that I heard them all groan, except for Pinkie again who just laughed.

I smiled but shook my head at her antics before I looked over at Shining “With your permission?” I asked and after a mental debate he finally nodded his approval. I turned to face the trembling Alicorn and I opened up my arms “Come on” I said in a defeated sigh which was automatically met with her shooting forward like a cannonball and wrapping her hooves around me while nuzzling and snuggling me.

“OH THANK YOU! I could not bear to hold back from hugging you for much longer!” Cadence said as she hung from my neck “You are so kind and SO CUTE!” she told me as she wiggled around in delight.

Letting out a playful sigh I scooped her up in my arms and held her in a princess carry while she clung to me but gasped out in surprised when I did so. “Oh my! Kind, cute, and chivalrous! Lucky me!” Cadence happily sung as she swung her back hooves back and forth as we continued our walk. “Now, on our way to the library tell me everything about you Adrian! From both back home until now!” she excitingly said. So taking in a deep breath I began my tale.

---------- 30 Minutes Later ----------

“Oh you poor, poor thing!” Cadence said as she squeezed me even more in her warm, friendly hug. I had just finished telling her about myself, well I left out a lot of details about back home saying that I was not ready just yet to reveal so much since most of it was really emotional for me. Thankfully Cadence did not pry and just let me continue. I had concluded with the attack in the woods and the after talk and plan to come here to study, I left out the last part about Derpy since that will be a more private talk for later.

“I am very much surprised about all that, your very lucky to have survived that ambush especially with an Alpha involved!” Shining said. He only really payed attention to the battle and my bout with the Alpha against my magic. It was also around this time when I explained about Artemis did I notice that she had been really quiet and spent a few minutes searching for her and found her hunting a few stray animals and eating. Which led to another explanation of her not being dangerous and her being my pet.

Once everything was calm and the two accepted Artemis as my pet, we continued our walk to the Crystal Library. Suffice to say that with how our group looked, we got our fair share and more of surprised looks with me carrying their Princess bridal style, with an entourage that consisted of her husband, Princess Twilight, the girls, and a timberwolf pup. The staring on me was much more intense than those in Ponyville this time though, mainly because of my new look and I didn't really blame them for it.

But thankfully no pony did or say anything strange to any of us, well I guess I should say to me. Also thankfully Artemis was behaving very well which surprised me since this is probably the first time she had been around this many ponies outside the forest. But simply taking it as a good sign and not wanting to jinx it I let it be as I let Cadence continue to be a snuggle bunny in my arms, a fact that I was pretty sure led to Shining boring a hole in my head through his stare.

I was walking ahead of him since Cadence wanted to be out front to lead us while being carried and continuously calling me cute and other embarrassing and endearing terms. That was one thing that really confused me as to why she thought I was cute and was being really friendly, but never being really affectionate. But due to the name calling it led me to believe and feel her husbands stare into my skull.

I was brought out of my inner debate when I felt my long hair being played with, so I looked down to find Cadence twirling and fiddling with my hair in her hooves with a giddy look plastered on her face. “You have such a nice mane! And I really like the color, its really rare to see pure white colored hair. You and Fleetfoot are the only two I know of who have it. And your eyes” she raised her head a little to look into my eyes “They are really entrancing and magical looking. They are quite lovely” she said which made me flush red once again, to which she noticed and giggled.

“Awwwww! You are so adorable and cute with your blushing!” she excitingly said as she giggled in my arms. Sheesh, I think my face was going to have a permanent blush thanks to her. I groaned rather loudly which made her giggle again but when I looked down at her she looked at me like a mother would look at a child when they did something silly and smiled. I was really shocked to see her have a face like that and I felt my face return to normal as my lips formed a friendly smile in return.

After I returned her loving smile she reached up with her hoof and touched my cheek “I can tell that you don't have a special somepony in your life right now, but I sense that their may be one in the future. Whoever they are will be a really lucky mare to have you” Cadence seriously said to me in a mature tone, which stunned me to see the goofy mare a few moments ago suddenly say this. But after a moment to take in what she said I smiled and shook my head.

“No, I would be the lucky one to have them” I sincerely said to her. This made her smile more as her eyes seemed to study me “But in regards to that, I wish to speak to you later in private about this matter” which seemed to grab her attention.

“I would love to have that chat with you, so long as it isn't about you declaring your love for me. I already have a husband you silly human” she playfully giggled as she pretended to be bashful.

“Oh darn, you caught me Cadence” I played along with her but she giggled madly at this and soon I fell in line and laughed with her. “Unfortunately it isn't about you but another mare back in Ponyville. That's all I wanna say for now though until we are in private. I hope that is ok” I said to her.

She nodded her head “That is perfectly fine, matters of the heart are best done privately. Now hug me some more you cute and warm human!” she loudly said as she jumped in my arms and hung around my neck and forced me to twirl around. Seeing that she might fly off I grabbed under her front legs, but now she let go slightly and now it looked like I was swinging her around like one would to for their girlfriend or wife. I swear the side of my head was on fire due to Shining staring at me.

Once she got that out of her system she retook her place in my arms and pointed me in the right direction again and off we went. Very soon I felt her head plop against my chest and she began to nuzzle me which of course made me red once more, taking a deep breath I spoke up “Your a very different kind of pony Cadence, starting off silly to being all serious then right back to silly” I told her.

“Well, I am the Princess of Love and love works in mysterious ways so I change from time to time depending on who is with me and how their hearts feel and beat. For you I can feel a touch of loneliness and sadness and a bit of fear, but also the great capacity to love others and accept them with open hooves. I can't wait to see your heart bloom in others and in yourself” Cadence said as she smiled sweetly at me before nuzzling my chest more. I felt my heart skip a few beats during her talk just now, how she said it really struck me.

I was going to say something else before I heard Cadence speak up “Ta Da! I present to you the Royal Library of the Crystal Empire!” she presented the building by holding her front hooves off in a showcase manner while in my arms. Twilight sprinted in front of yes while repeating the word yes over and over again, I rolled my eyes at this but smiled anyway. The rest of us followed behind her dust trail and into the large crystal building.

“Wow! This place is amazing!” I found myself saying as I gawked at the view, it was all very beautiful and awe inspiring. While the crystal layout reminded me of Twilights library, it differed in the fact that almost everything but the books were made out of crystal instead of it just being the walls, floor, and ceiling. Even the handrails looked to be made from black obsidian and had glass panels installed underneath.

“I'm glad you like it Adrian, it makes me very proud to be able to hold such an amazing place like this in my Empire. Now as I understand it we are looking for information on foreign magic on non-magical beings, nature magic or natural animal magic, and eventually magical application?” She asked.

“Exactly! Where can we find those sections?” Twilight said to Cadence.

“Actually all of them happen to be under a single section called 'Practical World Magic' in the 'Magical Biology And Application' Wing” Cadence stated. I almost wanted to laugh which Cadence saw and asked “What?”

“It's nothing, just thought it was a little funny that it seemed a little convenient to me is all” I said to her.

She simply shrugged “Well larger libraries like this one and the Royal Canterlot Archives house so many books and unless we wanted to have so many sections and wings that we would still be sorting today we decided to simplify it for now. Though we do have multiple plans on how to sort them into more detailed selections in the future” she informed us.

“I see, well lead the way Princess!” I said to her to which she pointed in the direction and away we all walked, well most of us walked while a certain Alicorn refused to be set down. After passing by several sections and wings we finally made our way to the correct section and for the first time Cadence finally let herself down before she started trotting down the aisles in search of the correct book, soon followed by Twilight.

Thankfully after only waiting ten minutes or so both Cadence and Twilight returned with a mountain of books carried by their magic and set them on the closest table. Unfortunately due to the fact that it was a mountain of books meant we would be in here for a while the rest of us knew it and shared the same expression of dread. Twilight grabbed the first book and held it up “Alright everypony, now since most of you don't know exactly what to look for I want you to search for keywords instead. Look for timberwolves, alpha, changes in eye color, and non magical beings. If you find one then start reading that section closely, if not then carefully skim the rest for those keywords. Since it already so late we will do a light search for now and pick up tomorrow” she said to us before diving into her book.

Pinkie Pie, Cadence, and Shining were the first to pick up a book and finally after a grunt of disapproval Rainbow and Applejack finally picked up a random book and started as well. I finally found one that struck my eye and picked up a dark crimson book with a gold trim and imprinted in the middle was a polished silver symbol that seemed to resemble fire. I looked to the side and I did not see a title, wonder why they picked this one up then if it had no title? I cracked open the hard cover to see if a title was inside.

The inside cover and first page were blank so I turned it to the next and hissed my hand back due to getting a paper cut and brought my finger to my mouth and sucked on the small amount of blood till it stopped. I looked down at the book to see if any blood had stained the paper and thankfully it was clean and that is when I saw the title in bold lettering, almost looked new actually. 'The Element Within: Spirit Of Fire' now this looked interesting though I doubt it had what we were searching for. But Twilight did say today would be short and we would be starting the real searching tomorrow so I continued reading.

On the next page it read 'This book was written by Star Swirled the Bearded to instruct those who wish to learn how to conquer the magic within and use it. Be wary for those who use this power for greed will perish while those who wish to provide magic to their neighbors will prevail'

Right below this text was another sentence that read 'This book has been co-read and approved by Princess Celestia and King Solar Flare'

Hmmm, I wonder who King Solar Flare is? Come to think of it, the only queen I have heard of is Queen Chrysalis and the only king has been King Sombra. Wonder why? A question I think Celestia should probably answer since it seems that both her and this King Solar Flare probably lived in the same time. Putting that away for later I turned the page and was bombarded with paragraphs upon paragraphs of words with a chapter title of 'Chapter One: Dragon Ember, Natures Fire' now this sounded interesting.

I found a chair to sit down in and I began to read: 'In the beginning fire did not exist outside of molten magma that set all material, flesh, and bone on fire and could not be controlled. The only masters of fire were the mighty and proud dragon race that dominated the skies and rained fire upon their foes or potential rivals, so I decided to venture south to study dragon kind and learn their secrets of fire manipulation. With that in mind I requested the audience of King Flare who was celebrating the birth of his daughters, his sun and moon as he liked to call them. Once the summit with the King was over and all my materials approved and packed I journeyed south past the Badlands.....'

---------- 3 Hours Later ----------

I gave a hearty yawn and rubbed my eyes as I placed the golden ribbon bookmark that was attached to the book where I had stopped. I had made it through the first two chapters and was likely about half way through the third when I heard Twilight call out for me to join them. Placing the book on the table I wandered over to the group who had gathered around a book.

“Adrian! Look, we found something!” Twilight said as she pointed to a particular piece of text which was titled 'Magical Backlash' “Now we are not hundred percent sure but from what we read it sounds the closest to your situation. It says that creatures or objects that are not born with magic inside of them or who do not develop them have a resistance to magic instead and all magical effects cast on them are either lessened or if the spell is weak enough will simply not work”

“So then earth ponies are natural magic resistant?” I asked.

“No, while earth ponies do not posses unicorn magic they do in fact have the magic of the land strongly infused within them which is why most earth ponies tend to the land since they are more in tune. Basically the same concept for pegasus ponies and of course unicorns are born to be able to manipulate magic they are born with. It is actually very rare for any sort of creature or object to be born without having magic”

“However, lets say a mountain was made and had no magic infused and a rock broke off and blocked a road and a unicorn tried to move it with magic it would either be very difficult to move or simply not be affected and would have to be moved by hoof. Now magical backlash happens when you try to infuse that rock with magic and said magic rebounds on either the rock or the user and a fifty/fifty effect will happen though usually negative”

“For instance that rock might either simply absorb the magic and be a normal rock or it might explode. For the user, in this case the unicorn traveler, the spell would rebound back to them and they could gain properties of that rock like stone fur or enhanced durability or stamina. Or they could die from having their magic being forced back inside. Now that being said a rebounded spell would only be deadly depending on how powerful or how big it is. A simple levitation spell would simply cause a headache or a cut or two”

“It also says that those who survive more powerful backlashes that are enough to kill could sometimes be physically altered due to the properties of the magic spell. Some of the reported changes have been different fur or mane colors, new personalities, hooves changing to claws, longer tails, and only one case of one single eye changing colors. So we are possibly thinking that you got a bit of magical backlash” Twilight finished with a long breath.

“However it might not be since due to the fact that you were not born with magic that you know of but then acquired it when you crossed over to our world and you would of felt it for it to be powerful enough to change your eyes and your hair. But since you told us that you felt no pain and only the opposite means that it is a new kind of harmless backlash or something else entirely” Cadence explained.

“I'm sorry that we weren't able to find anything definite Adrian” Twilight sorrowfully said and hung her head and the others seemed to show the same feeling.

I simply shook my head and smiled “Don't beat yourselves up over this, like you said earlier Twilight today was simply a short start and that meant that we would probably not find anything in the first place. The fact that you found something is an excellent start and from there we grow on it and learn and continue to find the truth. If you get hung up on something little then you won't be able to see the big picture” I kindly told Twilight.

This made her cheer up almost instantly and she stared at me with wide eyes “You sounded like Princess Celestia with that last bit of advice. She actually said something similar to me before when I was her student in Canterlot” she told me then began to smile “Guess great minds think alike”

I mildly blushed at the comment “I don't think I am quite as great as Celestia but thank you” I said with a nervous chuckle. I heard the others chuckle with me and I even saw Artemis happily wag her tail at me. I picked her up in my arms and began petting her which only made her happier and she began to lick my face.

“Awwww! That is adorable! And a little bizarre since I have never seen a timberwolf act like that before, first time for everything I suppose!” Cadence added in.

“Well we should get going for the night, unless there is something else you wish to do” Shining said to us all and then I thought about Vinyls offer so I set Artemis down, who whined at the action which made me wanna cry out in awe, and reached into my pocket and pulled folded pamphlet and looked at the dates and saw that the opening show was tonight at ten thirty.

“What time is it right now?” I asked them all.

They all looked around for a clock but Applejack found it first “It is nine right now partner” she informed me.

“Thank you Applejack. Well I do have an idea, Vinyls friend Octavia is doing her opening show tonight at ten thirty so if any of you want to we could always go and see that?” I told them.

“Wait! You know Vinyl Scratch?” Shining asked me.

“I sure do, I was her VIP guest at her club back in Ponyville about a week and a half ago, which was also my 'Welcome To Ponyville' party hosted by Pinkie. When we told her about us heading up here she rode along with us since she was already coming here for Octavia and when she left she invited me to come and meet Octavia and enjoy her performance” I said to him.

“Well aren't you just the cutest little stud! Your going to become quite the celebrity with all the friends your making in such a short amount of time!” Cadence said to me.

“Well I am the only one of my kind here so that is to be expected I suppose” I said with a nervous chuckle “So, what do you all think? Want to check her out tonight or wait for another day?” I asked them again.

They all talked amongst themselves and after a quick debate they all said yes and we were informed that Cadence and Shining had called to have our bags picked up at the station for us when we arrived and had them sent to our rooms in the castle. Boy, I am getting spoiled by once again staying in another castle as a guest.

So with our destination in mind Cadence and Twilight picked up all the books on the table and returned them and were about to leave when I stopped them “I think you forgot one” I told them as I went to my table to pick up the one I had to find it was gone “Oh, never mind. Guess you got it already”

“Neither me or Twilight picked up a book from that table, we thought all the books were already here” Cadence said to me “What did your book look like?”

“Well it had a crimson red cover with a gold lining and a shiny silver emblem on the front but had no name on the front” I explained.

“Weird, I don't remember picking that one up and there were none missing from my pile” Twilight said.

“Same here, all the books I picked got returned and I saw none missing. Maybe you accidentally picked one up that was already on the table from before?” Cadence offered.

“But who took it then if not you two?” I asked of them.

“Perhaps one of the roaming librarians picked it up, not the first time that a roaming librarian accidentally picked up a book in use and returned it” Cadence said to me.

“Darn, it was really interesting. Oh well, hopefully tomorrow I can find it again” I said with a shrug “Now, lets go get ready!” the others agreed and Artemis happily howled as she followed me. Though it was not two steps later when I felt a weight in my arms and saw a grinning Cadence looking up at me. “I should of guessed” I mused. But before I could say anything else I felt another weight slam into my back while a pair of hooves wrapped around my neck along with a familiar giggle “Et tu, Pinkie?”

Said Pinkie Pie simply giggled as she snuggled into me and I could feel her smile widen and seeing it as a challenge Cadence wrapped her hooves around my mid chest and tightly squeezed. I let out a defeated sigh before I began walking along with the laughing mares and even Shining started to find it amusing. “Tonight's going to be an interesting night”

“Your absolutely right, my cute human!” Cadence happily exclaimed as the two pink mares used me as a giant walking teddy bear/ transport. I only offered another sigh but smiled anyway, I don't think any of these ponies could ever make me mad at them for their silly antics. So with that in mind and arms full we began our trek to the castle for a fun night.

---------- Crystal Castle, Adrians Room ----------

“And that is the last of the luggage, thanks for helping out Flicker and you as well Shambles” the older stallion called out to his two helpers.

“No prob boss! Jus let us know if ye need any ting else alright?” Shambles said as he headed out.

“Twas our honor, inform me if thou need our assistance again! Fare thee well!” Flicker poetically said as he glided out. The older stallion simple sighed and dragged his hoof down his face.

“That Flicker is certainly a character but so long as he works hard then I ain't got no complaints” he said before closing the door and headed back home. The room was now empty and still except for the small poof sound before a solid object slammed onto the desk. The curtain was slightly ajar and the half moon briefly shined into the room and illuminated the crimson red book while the silver emblem reflected the moons soft beams into the room before a cloud snuffed out the light.

Author's Note:

Hello all and once again welcome to another chapter of "The Human And The Well"! So another long chapter and to recap Vinyl invites Adrian to meet Octavia, Shining approves for now of Adrian, Cadence can't let Adrian go but goes between silly and serious talks, study time, strange crimson book, who is King Flare?, Magical Backlash? Oh No!, heading back to go see Octavia, and how did the crimson book get into Adrians room? Stay tuned and find out!

Two things, first I found it a lot of fun to write for Cadence and have her the way she is. Second and more importantly I need to give credit for the image to StephDragonness for allowing her art to be free to use. In case you did not click the link here it is again: Fire Symbol

PreviousChapters Next