• Published 13th Sep 2014
  • 1,084 Views, 21 Comments

The Dead Stallion's Hand - Lord Zalgo



Filled with guilt over the loss of their friend, Celestia and Luna attempt to reconcile with some old friends. With an unforeseen outcome...

  • ...
4
 21
 1,084

I Now Pronounce You...

It was a royal wedding that nopony was going to forget anytime soon. Not only because of the changeling invasion, not only because of the denizens of the Underrealm appearing, not only from the goddess of the Overrealm attending...

...But, because there was a day off work and a kick-ass party afterwards.

After the hectic events of the previous few hours, the ceremony was tried once more and went off without a hitch. Not wanting to miss out on a moment in the Middlerealm's history, everypasta and everyling remained present for it, to some ponies' discomfort, but to nopony's objection. It was certainly interesting to see such a diversity of creatures watching such a momentous display of love that the princess and the captain shared. Everypony seemed to have a different reaction as the newly appointed married couple kissed in front of the crowd. Many simply smiled, numerous ponies and changelings cheered, there were a number of ponies that began to cry. Laughing Jack wrapped his forehooves around Jeff's neck and dramatically sobbed into his shoulder as Jeff half-heartedly patted Jack on the back. Rarity began to tear up as Chrysalis gave her a handkerchief with her magic. And-

"Psst! Mister Author!" Pinkie Pie whispered, looking directly at me- wait, what?

"They're gonna be at this for a while, you might wanna move on." Pinkie whispered with a smile and a wink. Which is odd, considering she's never done this before in this story, making this scenario seem very tacky and forced.

"Well, you wrote me this way." Pinkie replied with a slightly smug smile... that I am choosing to ignore.


Twilight put the microphone down, slightly short of breath after her song.

"That was amazing, Twily! You've gotta sing more often, little sis!" Shining said proudly to Twilight, who blushed slightly at the praise.

"Yeah, out of all the times we randomly burst into song, Twilight usually takes the lead. She's got a nice set of pipes for an egghead." Rainbow said, earning a hard look from Twilight. Everypony continued to dance as the DJ played another song. Twilight was about to join in, but was stopped by Celestia.

"It's time." She said simply. Twilight and Celestia then began to walk towards a nearby forest. After five minutes of walking, they saw figures in the distance. As they drew closer, Twilight recognised the ponies as Luna, Zalgo and Faust. There were two pentagrams on the ground with one pony on each of them. The ponies were Prince Blueblood bound and gagged with ropes and the other was Phoenix, sitting calmly.

"You're here, Celestia. Miss Sparkle. Now we can begin." Zalgo greeted.

"Begin what? Princess? Phoenix, what's going on?" Twilight asked.

"Zalgo still owns my soul, Twilight. This is the ceremony to free me." Phoenix replied. Twilight remained silent, pondering what Phoenix said.

"...You said before that a soul still had to be taken. I assume that..." Twilight said awkwardly before nodding towards Blueblood.

"That is the intention, Miss Sparkle. We merely require your aid in focussing the spell." Zalgo said as he raised Phoenix's hoof with his magic and sliced into it with a small blade, Phoenix blood quickly leaking from the wound. Twilight gasped at the bloody sight as the princesses and Faust lowered their horns and channelled their magic at the two pentagrams, causing Twilight to quickly do the same. Both pentagrams suddenly shone with a tremendous, blinding light, engulfing the two stallions. Twilight, shocked at the sudden light, was about to stop her magic, but froze when a hoof touched her shoulder. She turned to see Celestia, her gaze not breaking from the light.

"It'll be alright, Twilight. Keep going." Celestia said calmly. Twilight gave a quick nod before returning to her original position. Suddenly, the two stallions began to scream. Blueblood's gagged cries were more severe than Phoenix's, but he was yelling nonetheless.

"Phoenix Fortesque! How are you faring?!" Luna yelled as a strong wind began to emanate from the light, drowning out many sounds.

"I feel like my soul is on fire!" Phoenix yelled back.

"Proves you still have it, though." Zalgo replied. The light and the wind began to slowly die down, until both stallions were as visible as they were before the ritual began. Both of them looked around in confusion.

"Did... did it work?" Phoenix asked. Zalgo simply raised his hoof and stomped lightly on the ground, yet the sound echoed as a portal opened up behind Blueblood and an incredible powerful wind-like vortex began pulling him in. He began to scream again as he desperately scrambled to get away, while everypony else was unaffected by the portal's pull. Suddenly, a demonic version of a pony leapt from the portal, grabbed Blueblood and pulled him through the portal which closed behind them. Silence fell. Phoenix and Twilight watched the spot where Blueblood had been in silent horror as everypony else was starting to recover.

"Well, that happened. I wonder if there's any cake left." Zalgo said before beginning to walk back to the party followed by Luna and Faust. Celestia bowed her head slightly and stayed silent for a moment before turning to Twilight.

"Are you coming?" Celestia asked kindly.

"I-I... I'll just be a minute." Twilight replied, shaking slightly. When Celestia walked away, Twilight slowly walked towards Phoenix.

"You alright?" Twilight asked softly. Phoenix slowly turned, horror still present on his face.

"...That could've been me, Twilight. That could've been me." Phoenix whispered in shock. Twilight wrapped her hooves around his neck and rocked him slightly to calm him down. What they were unaware of was a single pair of eyes watching their embrace from the trees before they stopped watching and retreated towards the party.


It had been half an hour since Twilight and Phoenix returned to the party, but after twenty minutes Phoenix had seemingly vanished. Applejack looked around the party with a small look of worry on her face. She saw Twilight standing with Celestia and Zalgo and approached them.

"Hey, Twilight. Have you seen Phoenix around? Ah can't find him." Applejack said.

"Uh, no, I haven't seen him in a little while. Sorry." Twilight replied.

"But, you could ask Slender over there. He can sense ponies. He'll know where Mr Fortesque is." Zalgo said. Applejack looked over to Slendermane and looked back at Zalgo a little awkwardly.

"Right... Thanks..." Applejack said as she began to approach Slender. When she was close enough, Slendermane turned to face her. At least she thought he did.

"Say... sugarcube... Do you where Phoenix is right now?" Applejack asked, trying to quell her nerves. Slendermane slowly nodded once before pointing to the roof of a nearby building, where she saw a figure sitting on the edge. She nodded her thanks before heading to the building. When she got there, she instantly recognised Phoenix and sat next to him.

"Hey." Applejack greeted.

"Hi." Phoenix replied.

"What're you doin' up here?" Applejack asked.

"I just wanted a nice view of Canterlot and a little break from the loud volume at the party." Phoenix replied. Applejack nodded.

"Ah suppose we all need some quiet every now an' then." Applejack said.

"Yeah. Makes you happy, though, doesn't it? Attending a wedding." Phoenix said.

"Uh-huh. Ah've always liked weddin's. They jus' kinda... perk you up, huh?" Applejack replied.

"Yeah, I get what you mean. Kind of puts a little meaning into our lives seeing two ponies so happy. So... connected to their special somepony. Almost to the level that they're addicted to each other." Phoenix said as Applejack leaned on his shoulder.

"Never heard it said like that before. ...Phoenix?" Applejack asked to get his attention.

"Hmm?" Phoenix asked, his attention on her.

"Would ya say that your addicted to me?" Applejack asked, a small blush on her face.

"I don't think I'll ever know." Phoenix replied, causing Applejack to look up at him.

"And what makes you say that?" A slight amount of anger on her face. She watched Phoenix's face as he looked down at her and moonlight illuminated one side of his face.

"You only know you're addicted to something when you try to give it up." Phoenix said with a smile. Applejack froze for a moment before beginning to nuzzle Phoenix's chest.

"Ah take back anythin' Ah said before. Ah did miss that damn silver tongue o' yours." Applejack said happily as a small tear beaded in her eye. Phoenix simply nuzzled her back as they both looked at the moon in comfortable silence.


Phoenix and Applejack re-joined the group just as Shining Armor and Princess Cadence were stepping onto a carriage. Shining froze slightly at the sight of Phoenix and scowled slightly at him before turning his head, smiling and stepping into the carriage. A few seconds later, Cadence re-emerged from the carriage as she leaned through the window, bouquet in hoof. She suddenly tossed it behind her rather forcefully, flying straight over a group of mares, including Rarity and falling into Phoenix's hooves. A moment passed before Phoenix realised what he had caught, which caused both Applejack and him to blush furiously as everypony else laughed and the carriage began to move and drove off into the distance.

Phoenix looked around at everypony laughing before wrapping his leg around Applejack, pulling her close, causing her to blush and giggle which Phoenix returned.

'Yup. It's great to be back.' Phoenix thought as everypony watched the fireworks shining in the sky.

Comments ( 1 )

When is the next season of this fic going to come out?

Login or register to comment