• Published 16th Apr 2012
  • 13,611 Views, 720 Comments

Is Immortality Really Worth It? - Nadake



Twilight is rejected by the Princess, and vows to become stronger, more perfect, to surpass Celestia

  • ...
86
 720
 13,611

By Moonlight and Starlight

Twilight sighed, the exhalation rushing warm and wet from her nose. She moved her head back and forth, burrowing further into the warm mound she was encircled in, feeling the white sides tremble with soft laughter. The soft fur felt slick as she rubbed her face along it, the lavender and white fur sliding over each other in a silken touch.

"Come now Twilight. You can't hide there forever." The voice, laced with the soft laugh of the Princess of the Sun, rang out across the grassy field. Twilight shot out of the small pile of books and fluffy blankets she had been buried under. As she did, the book fort collapsed when the blanket caught between the pages of "Advanced Magical Theory and Practical Applications" snagged on one hoof. The filly went tumbling out of the fort, barely ahead of the collapsing structure. She landed in a sprawl, rolling a few times down the gentle slope, the white blanket trailing behind her.

"What was my most faithful student doing?" The filly rolled to a stop, bumping into the marble pillars that were the legs of her Princess. Twilight rolled once more, getting her hoofs beneath her before springing up. The bright light of the rising moon reflected from the magenta eyes, as they lit from within from the fevered excitement of the unicorn.

"Princess! I was waiting for you. Did you see it?" The filly stood before the regal monarch, bouncing with happiness, her short legs barely clearing the grass with each bounce. Her eyes were not the only things that seemed to glow about her, even her fur seemed to emit a soft lavender glow, similar to that which Celestia herself knew shone from within. Perhaps it was a side effect of the extreme magical energy that lay dormant within the filly, as in the mentor. Or perhaps, like the mentor, the pupil shone with an inner beauty so pure it pierced even her skin with its radiance. Celestia liked that thought immensely.

A sweet smile graced her lips as the regal mare bent closer to the filly, her long neck placing her nose almost level with the bouncing face. "Did I see what? And what was that strange building I saw you in. It almost looked like a pony, but lopsided." The soft smile didn't change at the words, but a light danced in the eyes of the Princess as she teased her student. Forgive an ancient, if not yet decrepit, old mare her fun.

"PRINCESS! That was my book fort. I made it special. I wanted to impress you. I even used my magic to put it together." The filly had stopped bouncing, now looking down at her hooves in the tall grass. "I... I thought you'd like it."

The face of the alicorn was a slate of unmarred surprise. The mouth that had a moment before held a smile hung slightly agape and the eyes flickered between emotions. Regret over teasing her student, when she knew that Twilight never did anything without a purpose, warred sheer astonishment that a filly, barely old enough to enter magic kindergarten had constructed a rather large creation using her magic and a few heavy books. "Oh, Twilight, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to make fun of you. I thought it was very nice, and if you did it all by magic, then it was very impressive."

"You really mean you don't hate it?" The sad voice bounced off the ground, aimed perfectly at Celestia's throat. It was hard to even breath around the lump the hurt tone shoved down her throat, but Celestia swallowed and spoke.

"Oh, Twilight, I thought it was wonderful. I'm sorry that I- Why you little minx! Come back here you." The apology died, fading off into helpless laughter as the Princess chased her student around the tiny hill. Halfway through her apology, Twilight had raised her head, the wicked glint of mirth flashing across her face at the sight of the saddened Princess. Now they ran, both laughing, about the remains of the book fort, Celestia's tiara held in Twilight's teeth.

After a time, Twilight began to tire. Celestia could have caught her long ago, but chose now to swoop in and claim her prize. The powerful hind legs curled, the strong muscles tensing like coiled springs. Then the alicorn surged forward, jumping slightly. She landed in a roll, the filly giggling and clutched close to her chest, thrilled to be held while the Princess rolled down the hill, sheltering the little body as she did.

"Ha! I caught you Twilight. You know what that means!" The filly had dropped the tiara when the Princess had grabbed her in midair, the circlet of gold falling from her shocked lips. Now, the Princess sat on the ground, body curled around the filly she still held close to her. The long neck descended, and the white head tilted, one eye dancing with happiness as she stared at the filly.

"NO! Princes- ahhhaha, no plea- ha, stop, oh he stop, hehe please." The soft white lips press against the taught little belly, blowing noisily against the filly. Over the sound of the exhalation and the unicorns screams and giggles, she could barely hear the broken pleas for release.

Eventually though, the Princess relented. A still giggling Twilight relaxed back into the comforting warmth of the Princess, tears welling in her eyes from her laughter. The filly began to purr softly as she snuggled in closer to the firm warmth of the Princess' body. Celestia laid back on the grass, sighing in contentment as her protege slid off of her stomach to land softly on the grass. The lush green blades were more akin to downy feathers than the dry prickly hay it would resemble in only a few days. But now, in the closing days of summer, the night was warm and the grass was soft. Only a fool would sleep indoors.

Twilight curled her legs under her in the grass, the soft green a blanket below and about her, and leaned her head into the Princess. A hoof extended, draping itself along the soft body as tension eased and sleep neared. Twilight snuggled her head closer to the warm shoulder of her Princess, resting her cheek on the strong neck. "Princess?"

"Yes, my faithful student?"

"Thank you."

"Go to sleep little one. Would you like me to sing for you?" A great white wing covered the small body, leaving only the head and neck exposed. A slow nod ruffled the fur of her neck, and Celestia smiled, leaning down and kissing the filly's forehead gently.

"Hush now, quite now." The purring grew fainter as Twilight began to nod off, knowing that the warm body beside her would keep her safe.

"It's time to lay your sleepy head." The soft snores of the filly sounded in the night air, and Celestia found herself smiling once more. Twilight was so cute, so alone, so... so what? Clingy? Desirous? No, those weren't right. They didn't fit the filly at all. She was always so serious, determined to be the best and show everypony who asked. She wasn't so petty, so foolish to only want others to think it, she wanted to be better than anypony in history. Celestia had never seen the serious young filly even smile unless she was reading a book, or talking to Celestia herself.

She was... she wanted to be loved. That's all she want's all she ever wanted. And Celestia was the only pony she had met who was willing to care for her since her parents had died. Maybe that's why it felt so wonderful to have her lying there, cradled against her for the night.

"I love you, my little pony."


Fluttershy sat curled on her bed. Amid the cluttered mess of the small cottage, shoved into a corner amongst spotless perches and floors, the little wooden construction simply sat there. Often, while she its mistress was away on an errand, or simply enjoying a spare moment with her friends, the bed was occupied by a small white rabbit, of a foul temper and a sweet nature. Indeed, even now, the rabbit sat on the bed, the tiny white paw rubbing slow circles on the yellow flank.

A blanket shrouded the mare from view, a soft sheet of cyan cotton. Fluttershy had knit it herself, in the last few days she had been in flight school, in fact, the blanket was what she had intended to bequeath unto Rainbow after her race. What with the Sonic Rainboom, and Fluttershy’s own discoveries of that day, the plan had fallen through.

The fact that she had quite literally dropped out of the sky had meant that all of her belongings had remained in their shared room in Flight School, so at least Rainbow had gotten her blanket. Years later, after she had been assigned to Ponyville by the Weather Patrol, Rainbow Dash had sought her out the moment she discovered her existence. The first thing she had done, well, the first thing Rainbow had done was pull her behind a group of trees, and into a deep kiss. The phantom memory of that embrace graced the mind of the little pegasus for a moment, lips tingling in remembered sensation.

However, after that embrace, and several lesser iterations, Rainbow had shot off, determined to return the blanket to her old friend.

Since that day, they had not been… with each other. She wasn’t in love with Rainbow. She couldn’t be. She loved Twilight, knew she loved her. After all, she had been Rainbow’s friend for years, and they had only kissed once. Within a few hours of her return, Twilight had her on her back, legs slightly parted and tail tucked neatly under the tight rump. She couldn’t be in love.

Then why does it hurt so much?

Because hurt it did. The sight of the pair of them, smiling and laughing at whatever prank Twilight could think up had hurt more than anything Fluttershy had ever felt, even the day her wing had been broken, almost in half, by a bear. But that… today had been pain beyond her wildest imagining. Her darkest nightmares had nothing on the searing empty agony that had stolen her heart. Stolen it, then slowly, painfully slowly, devoured the still beating organ, blood flowing from the thick muscle as sharpened teeth sank into it, held before the maw of some horrific beast.

The one thought that pierced the black quag her mind slogged through, one single ray of light. It wasn’t the happy light of hope, the pure, luminescent beam of a thought of varied custom or accidental contact. Fluttershy wasn’t stupid, she knew what a kiss looked like. No, the thought was a red, throbbing light, pulsing with seething fury, deadly light pouring over the landscape of her mind, I wasn’t enough.

What pained her so was not merely the thought that she had lost the pony she had come so swiftly, so deeply to love, but the sense of failure. Failure was a pain that never lessens, and one Fluttershy was long since acquainted with. She knew, she had always known, that Twilight didn’t love her. Twilight loved her Princess. With every fiber of her soul, Twilight loved Celestia. Fluttershy had never been more than a replacement, an excuse. But she could live with that, the cold knowledge that she wasn’t the one her partner dreamed of. She could be happy as an excuse.

But she had failed. Maybe she had been too scared, too stupid to see something, some cue that had hurt the unicorn. But there had been none. Twilight had been happy since her return, almost jubilant.

…Which was unlike her. Twilight was not beyond emotion, but she had always been about peace and thought. More like Fluttershy herself, as content to be lost in her books, as the pegasus was to be lost with her animal friends. But since she returned… well, since she returned Twilight had been almost as exuberant and outgoing as Pinkie usually was.

Which is wrong. All wrong. This is what it feels like when your love leaves you. It hurts so much. You can’t smile while you bleed inside. Which means…

Which means that something was wrong, with Twilight, Celestia, or Fluttershy herself. Twilight should be locked in her room, sobbing into a pillow if her story was true. Fluttershy… had been used. And every time they had been together, something had happened. Once, it was simply a foal being bullied in an ally, and another time it had been a fight between lovers. Every time there was something wrong, every time any bad emotions were near, Twilight had seemed to glow. Her fur became glossy; she laughed and smiled at nothing. She kissed like it was all she could to keep herself from burying her face between Fluttershy’s legs. She became… more alive. Like she was battening off of the pain of others, their sadness and regret.

And once, it was when everypony got angry at Pinkie. You know how she looked then.

As the Party Pony had slowly walked off, head hung almost to the ground, a trail of wet drops marking her path, Fluttershy had seen Twilight’s face. It had been unlike anything the mare had seen on her friend before, indescribable. Now she had seen Twilight on the brink of complete bliss, and the face was the same. Eyes half lidded, a deep smile bracketing the slightly opened mouth, head thrown back and a quiet whimper escaping her. She glanced around, still in a haze of avid desire, searching for her bunny. Angel was gone though bored with her lack of attention. Or maybe he was frightened by the noise his pet was making. Just like when the bad one slept in his house last night.

Another surge of heat flashed through the pegasus, reddening her cheeks… and other parts of her anatomy. Hooves rustled the soft cloth of the bed as she pulled the blanket tighter against her chest, trying in vain to ignore the growing passion flowing through her. Even as horrible as she felt, the memory of that face, cheeks red and soft pants escaping the lavender throat, she was becoming excited.

“Starting without me?” The voice made Fluttershy jump, spinning around to face the intruder. One hoof still held the blanket, the other, slick and shining, pressed against the mares mouth, silencing any sounds that might have escaped. It also left a most becoming dark sheen on the fur, the fluid coating the hoof shinning in the fur near her lips.

Slowly, sensually, Twilight walked forward, hooves resounding gently against the boards of the cottage. Her hips swayed as she moved, drawing the blue eyes of the pegasus to them again and again. Twilight prowled ahead until her nose pressed gently into the blanket that still hung loosely around the pegasus, her teeth gently pulling at the skin beneath.

“Sweetheart, why did you leave earlier? Rainbow was simply put out when you didn’t stay to chat.”

And suddenly, lust wasn’t the only cause of the flush that suffused the yellow mare. Wrath bubbled and boiled as she fought it back, tears leaping from the cauldron to her face, slipping hotly down her face. Each one left a trail of moisture in its wake, burning against the flesh of the hurt mare.

Neither pony remembered quite what was said. Twilight didn’t bother to deny the accusations, so the argument was little more than a tirade by Fluttershy, culminating in more tears as her will broke once more. She collapsed, sobbing to the bed once more, eyes closing in a foolish attempt to hide her tears.

“Fluttershy, sweetheart.” Twilight came up behind her, placing a gentle hoof on the shoulder of her friend, watching the hair on the pegasus straighten in reaction. Once more, a wave of lust crashed over the mare, but this time, she fought. Planting her hooves firmly, she pulled herself away.

“Go away Twilight. I don’t want to see you ever again.”

For a single, tear sodden moment, there was silence. Then a sharp crack sounded as a lavender hoof slammed into the side of the Fluttershy’s face.

The pegasus was propelled forward, her head meeting the wall of the cottage, stars bursting into life about the stunned mare. Blood began to trickle from a gash a splinter left above her eye. Twilight walked forward, and calmly lifted Fluttershy to her hooves. Then another hoof smashed into the side of the yellow face, leaving a cut along the cheekbone as the hoof skittered off the hardened bone and sheared away the flesh.

Blood began to ooze from the wound after a moment, and once more, Twilight’s face changed. But this was more even than when Pinkie had been driven away. This face was that of Twilight’s afterglow, the only time the mare would cuddle in next to Fluttershy sleeping with her head resting softly on the yellow fur. And Fluttershy could feel a dim echo of her lovers ecstasy wrack her small frame, a surge of raw, animal need coating her thighs as she stood.


“Twilight, this is… strange.” Nolux shifted to her left half a step, sidling ever so slightly closer to her friend. It wasn’t intentional, simply the reaction every herd animal has to fear. Find another body, a warm, moving body, and stay with it. Protection in numbers was effectively nonexistent while exploring a half decayed ancient castle in the middle of an oppressive, forbidding pine forest, but the instinct remained.

In fact, traveling in groups is a horrible idea in this situation, the increased mass, energy, and heat would draw the attention of anything that may live there, as well as increase structural stressors.

None the less, Twilight felt the same instinctive comfort of having another so near her, one she knew and trusted, one who wouldn’t attack her. It made her feel… safe. Warm, almost happy to know that there was a pony beside her, although one of different stripes.

“It is safe, the Castle was build long before we even had history, and has stood since then. I doubt anything could destroy it, much less the steps of the pair of us.”

“No, look up there, on the third level.” Nolux pointed to a window, a large one that spanned half the length of the room. A small balcony projected from the window, and from it one would have an excellent view of the dawn. It was the same balcony from which Twilight had looked out at Canterlot the day she set out.

The heavy curtains, thick velvet preserved through the careful spells that coated much of the Castle. In fact, the same spell covered almost the entire castle, including the massive library that housed tomes on lore that history had long forgotten, and spells so powerful they defied the current knowledge of magic.

It was the ancient abode of the alicorns, from the dawn of time to the ancient war. From that war, all creatures that now lived limped away, either having hidden as the ponies had at the outset of combat, else they were those who had survived, dragging their half dead species from the ruination of that horror. The alicorns had stood and fought, and they had driven out the evil that had infested the world.

But evil is strong, and the toll had been incalculable. Countless species had died in that combat, incinerated by the sheer force of the colliding wills of the two sides. Celestia and Luna had been the only two to escape that inferno alive, while reality itself began to collapse. The embers of that conflict still burned, horrific scars that rent the land and boiled the sea. Until the Princesses had calmed that wrath, nothing had been safe; not the water, not the ground, not even the air.

Twilight had learned much during even her brief stay at the castle, lore and knowledge that hadn’t been wielded by a mortal since Star Swirl had begun his final shaping. Now though, something was moving. Nothing lived in that Castle, not since she had drained away the energy of the insects and rodents, and nothing had dwelt there which could move the thick velvet in more than a millennium. This was something new.

“We’ll find out. Now come on, I’m sure whatever it is, it doesn’t want to be kept waiting for very long. Besides, nothing comes into my home without my permission.”