• Published 16th Apr 2012
  • 13,607 Views, 720 Comments

Is Immortality Really Worth It? - Nadake



Twilight is rejected by the Princess, and vows to become stronger, more perfect, to surpass Celestia

  • ...
86
 720
 13,607

How Dare They

Is Immortality Worth It?


“I- I love you Princess.” Twilight whispered, her mouth a hair's breadth from Celestia’s ear, the sweet words and warm breath sending a shiver down her spine.

“Twilight. My Faithful Student. You know that I can’t love you as anything more than my dearest friend. You are like my daughter, and I will always treasure you, but I,” She broke off, pulling her long head back. She had to look into her eyes. This would hurt her poor student more than anything, but it had to be said. Celestia would make herself watch, and feel her own heart break with her dear student. “I cannot love you.”

No justification, no pleas for forgiveness. No anger in Twilights eyes, not even surprise. There was only a confirmed sadness, the look of a pony who had her dreams shattered, before she even realized they existed. “I know Princess. I think I’ve always known. That’s why I never told you, because you would say no. Just tell me, could you love me, if you never had to lose me?”

“I- Twilight that. You can’t. I-I don’t know.” The Princess stammered. She knew that she loved the little mare, and loved her deeply. But long ago she had sworn to never again fall in love, the pain of separation was too great. As a friend, she loved all her little ponies, as family, she loved many. As confidant, she loved Luna, and Twilight and her friends. But as the other half of her soul? She refused to even think about that, it brought back too many old pains.

“Thank you Princess. That’s all I needed to know. Would you like a report on this?” The mare never took her eyes from the immortal Princess, the pony who had raised her, had taught her so much, and who had loved her. She just, hadn’t loved her the same way. It was her fault. It always was. From the first time she had tried to levitate a rock, and set the courtyard on fire, to staying in bed, crying herself to sleep over her parents, she had never been more than a bother to Celestia. She had been a horrible student, and a worse friend. Students learned from their mistakes, and proved themselves to their teachers. Friends stood by, and helped each other, not simply steal from one, like some sort of leech.

There was no sadness in Twilights eyes, no anger. There was nothing, nothing but a disappointment so deep it was etched into her bones as she stood, perfectly still. She looks, empty. The word sprung, unbidden, to Celestia’s mind. It was the only word to describe the mare, her eyes unmoving, face still, staring into her eyes. Nothing stirred behind those eyes, the mind perfectly mirroring the still, rigid body, unmoving, unfeeling, uncaring. Tears flooded Celestia’s eyes, the golden liquid flowing slowly down her face. “No. NO my student. I think I can remember.”

“Very well. I beg pardon for the intrusion, Princess. I shall show myself out.” The unicorn turned, body still ramrod stiff, and walked slowly to the door.

“Twilight.” Soft and heartfelt fell from her lips before Celestia could stop them, or even think about them. The name flowed off her tongue like sweet honey, smooth, delicious, but with the sting of the bee at the attack on its home. A needle pierced her heart at the sound of the name, so delicate, being uttered.

Twilight looked back over her shoulder, and for the briefest instant, Celestia saw the mask slip. Pure, cold, calculating hatred stared back at her. There was no anger there, there was no sadness, simply the truth, that Twilight would never speak to her willingly again, would never write to her, save to fulfill her royal duties. There would be no more cheerful recounting of the antics of her friends, no more letters in the middle of the night about how much she missed her old library in the Canterlot Castle, and her worries over fitting into the next celebration. The lavender mares eyes, so often the color of thistle, the softest, lightest purple, now shone differently. Deeper, more volatile, they now gleamed in the light. They almost looked black, the color of the berries of belladonna. Tingeing the edges of her iris, crimson streaks, blood vessels, had burst, deepening the contrast. Those eyes promised no more than the berries. Death for all who consumed them, even the one from which they came. “Goodbye Princess. I apologize again for the… inconvenience.”

Light encircled the door handle, and the unicorn slipped out, without another glance, the door shutting softly behind her. There was a brilliant flash, and the heavy scent of ozone. The unmistakable whiff of magic told her, if her aching heart had failed, that Twilight was gone, and she would never return.

“Sister?” The call came from the balcony, where Luna stood, bathed in the light of the dying sun. “Celestia, is all well?” Worry colored her tone, and she folded her wings, trotting over to her sister.

“She will never come back. I- I failed her Luna.” Celestia said, the last rays of the setting sun striking her body. The Princess of the Sun, of Light and Life, was always beautiful. The radiance, the glory of her star shone through her every movement, her very presence. But sitting there, in the glorious sunset, she was stunning. No pony will ever see a picture more perfect, a pony more glorious than Celestia in that moment. To the outsider, flying high near Canterlot, returning to his house after a long journey to Cloudsdale, the Princess almost seemed to glow golden, rather than gleaming like the finest white marble. The guards, drilling even at the last light of day, paused, glancing at her, seeing the radiant mane, shimmering and sparkling, waving in the soft solar wind.

But Luna saw even more. She saw the beauty of her sister in that moment, and was as awed as the others. But she was still more. She saw the single tear roll from her sister’s eye, shining not golden, nor even white, but a deep, blood red. Her sister had been wounded, her heart screaming in agony, but not a sign left her, not in her voice nor her carriage. But that tear, that single drop of moisture, showed the heart within, the heart bleeding for the pain that it had caused another pony. More than that though, it bleed for having hurt Twilight, the pony, the sweet filly, that she had raised, had taught and nurtured. The pony that she had loved.


Twilight looked out at the small town of Ponyville. When she had first seen the town, pulled by a pair of Royal Guards in a chariot of gold, she had been consumed by worry, fearing for her mentor, her Princess. She had known that Nightmare Moon would escape, and would try to take back control from Celestia, the true Princess of Equestria. Stymied at every pass by ponies determined to become her friends, and by the negligence of the town to heed the peril she saw, she had had no choice but to wait for the inevitable.

Then Nightmare Moon had stolen away the Princess, and she had panicked. It wasn’t until later, when she saw the Princess greeting her returned sister, the Princess Luna, that Twilight had realized why. It wasn’t that the Princess had told her, in more words, to leave and make friends. It was that the Princess, her Princess, her mentor and parent, her closest friend and confidant, had told her to leave. The pain of being told that she was unwanted, the agony of realizing that she was not worthy of her teacher, that was when she had realized the true depth of her feelings for the ruler.

Now she looked out at the small town, the town she had chosen to remain in, in part to show Celestia that she could handle herself without the alicorns guidance and protection. But more than that, she had said that foolish statement, in the hopes that the Princess would ask her to return to Canterlot. But she hadn’t. She had told Twilight that she should write reports on friendship and the magic it held. She had finally made friends, like she had always secretly longed for, but she had lost her teacher, her mother.

And so, she had done as she was bid. Every week, without fail, she had strived to learn, to prove herself to her friends, to herself, and to the Princess. Every week, she learned more about friendship, and every week she had become more used to not seeing the Princess, of not running to her whenever she had a question. Then came the catastrophe at the Grand Galloping Gala. She remembered her excitement, and remembered explaining it away to her friends, telling them that she was so happy that they would all enjoy themselves. She had run into the palace, bumping into nobles and commoners alike pushing her way through the crowd. Then up the stairs she had run, halting at the throne. And the Princess had looked at her, and smiled.

That smile had reminded Twilight of all that she had walled away, and the unicorn had needed to force herself not to begin weeping in joy at the sound of Celestia’s voice. She would stand with the Princess all night, and they would finally talk, about her friends and her lessons, about herself and the Princess, but they would talk at last.

But then the endless line of nobles had come. The sycophants and suck-ups, the rich wanting to charm their way into more, and the glory-hounds wanting to be seen near royalty. That night had been hell. It had taken all of her self-control, all of her will, and the sad gentle, apologetic smile that Celestia would give her whenever there was a moment’s pause to keep Twilight in line. That night, she had wanted nothing more than to destroy those useless, annoying, stupid ponies. She had needed to lower her head, afraid of what the Princess would think, seeing the rage in her eyes, barely contained. “This isn’t what I hoped.” She had murmured, looking at the ground, the Princess greeting yet another fool with a smile on her face, seeming as overjoyed at seeing whoever the useless stallion was as she had been on seeing her student.

Then, just when she thought that the night could get no worse, her friends had managed to not only ruin their evening, but had destroyed the party. The ponies that she, Twilight Sparkle, had commended, recommended, and advocated, had destroyed statuary, offended minor royalty, interrupted and offended the musicians, had nearly assaulted several ponies in an attempt to garner attention, and worst of all, one had even destroyed a section of the Palace wall. And there stood Twilight Sparkle, next to the Princess she had shamed, staring at the mess that her friends had caused, because she had wanted them to come. Tears had stung her eyes, and she had run from the party the moment the Princess had taken pity on her. Taken pity? More likely, she was so ashamed of us that she had wanted us gone as quickly as possible.

The bitter thought interposed itself between Twilight and the rest of her memory, leaving glistening tracks of raw fury gleaming from her eyes. Yes Princess, She thought, venom laced through every mental syllable. I was a failure, wasn’t I. I never lived up to your wishes, you expectations. I tried so BUCKING HARD to be perfect, to be like you, but it was never enough, was it? After all, I’m not the only student you have had, I wasn’t even the only one you had while I was there, you had many. How could one little, insignificant unicorn possibly hope to capture your attention, much less your approval.

Nopony was good enough for you were they? I was the best, and everypony knows it. I was the most powerful unicorn since Starswirl the Bearded. But even then that power wasn’t enough to capture your attention. No matter how hard I tried, I just… I just couldn’t do it. You were too perfect. I could never match up to you, no matter how hard I tried, how long I studied.

It was night now, and a chilly breeze wrapped around her, sitting alone on that mountain. Where she had seen Fluttershy, timid little Fluttershy, face down a dragon. A smile twitched the corners of her mouth at that memory, before a sneer replaced it.

Yes, timid little Fluttershy. The scared little pegasus who wreaks hell when she doesn’t have whatever she wants. How pleasant it was to know that one of her friends could stare down a cockatrice because it disagreed with her.

Rainbow Dash was no better. Fast, agile, and determined, yes. Stubborn, intractable, and stupid were also words that fit her. That mare was so obsessed about proving herself to her precious Wonderbolts that she ignored everything else. As if that were even a challenge. Rainbow had been training since she moved to Ponyville to become a Wonderbolt. Twilight had trained, studied, worked and learned for years just to have the Princess LOOK AT HER.

Applejack was obsessed as well. Everything, every single thing she did had to be about her farm, her apples or herself. She never lies, that was true, but only because she is either too thick to know how, or so, mind numbingly, cripplingly stupid, that the only thing she even knew about were her stupid trees.

Pinky is the same way about parties, if you added in the fun aspect of her bipolar idiotic attempts to gain attention. Cele- heavens forbid, she not be the center of attention.

And finally, Rarity. Rarity, the ever Generous. Rarity, the Fashion Queen of Ponyville. Rarity, the Dressmaker. Rarity, the Master Seamstress. Rarity, the Lady. Rarity, the Drama Queen. Rarity, the Snob. Rarity, the Social Climber. Rarity, the Gold-digger. Rarity, the Self-Obsessed. Yes, Rarity was unflinchingly generous. When she saw a benefit in it for her, or if it was the loss of something she simply didn’t want

Stupid stupid stupid “STUPID BUCKING PONIES!” She screamed at the night, the force of the shout tearing at her throat, bringing tears back to her eyes. “Why does everypony have to be better than me? They are all so… stupid. So inept, so… weak. Not one of them could even start to work as hard as I did to be like Her.” Twilight growled, the last word dripping with hatred, pain, and fear. “But according to Her they are just as good. Ha! Like they could EVER be as strong, as determined as I was.” She felt the cold air curl around her, flowing through her mane, ruffling the soft, short fur on her sides. “I’ll show Her. I’ll show them all. I will become so strong, not even She can ignore me anymore.”

Twilight felt her eyes close, worn out from the long day, and even longer night. And that night, for the first time in years, she dreamed. Not of love, and not of accomplishment, not of praise nor yet of passion. She dreamed of fire. Of the night that her parents had died, only hours after she had been accepted into Celestia’s private tutelage. She had always thought it was an accident. But now, in her mind’s eye, it was her. She set the fire, she felt the magic pulsing through her horn, and heard her parents screaming. They were in the way. They would keep her from the Princess, she knew it. They thought they needed her. So she was making them not need anything anymore. And over in the corner, a small filly, light purple coat covered in soot, and brand new Cutie Mark covered in ash, sat curled into a ball, watching her parents die, slowly, painfully. And every single scream only made the darkness inside of her grow stronger, to hunger for more.



Second story. Yay. Anyway, please review, and tell me what you liked/didn't like. Hugs and kisses.