• Published 16th Apr 2012
  • 13,595 Views, 720 Comments

Is Immortality Really Worth It? - Nadake



Twilight is rejected by the Princess, and vows to become stronger, more perfect, to surpass Celestia

  • ...
86
 720
 13,595

Hi, I'm Pinkie Pie

"Oh, I'm so excited. Aren't you excited Gummy? Twilight's going to love the party, I just know it. Now, since we don't have Twilight here to do a checklist, it looks like I'll have to do that. Cupcakes? Check. Tasty Cupcakes? Mmmmm, Cerk. Super duper tasty cupcakes? Check, check and check. Hey Gummy, have you seen my checklist?" Pinkie was talking to herself, and/or Gummy, as she bounced about the room, going over all the preparations once more. "Twilight had been gone forever, and her welcome home party would be the best. Thing. EVER! Oh, Hello! I'm Pinkie Pie. Who are you? Wow, there sure are a lot of you, aren't there. Why are only some of you wearing clothes?" The pink pony bounced in front of the blank wall, staring intently at scenes only her imagination could paint on the white painted wood.

"Uh, Pinkie Pie. Why are you talking to the wall?" Applejack walked into the small room above Sugarcube Corner where Pinkie lived. To call it chaos may have been introducing a little too much order to the space, but there are only so many polite words for the mess that was there, heaped in piles, strewn about the floor, and somehow hanging to the ceiling. I guess Twilight was wrong. All things are not prone to entropy, unless that was fancy for "being collected and put in Pinkie Pie's room". Was that... yes, that is the old switch Ma used to use on me. Why in the world would she want to keep that?

"Oh, hi AJ. How are you. Come on, you can help your Auntie Pinkie Pie set up for the party." Pinkie bounced over to the wall once more, inspecting the wood. "Oh! No fair, they left when you turned up. Here, go out of the room, I want to see if they come back." She twisted her neck, grinning over her shoulder at the farmer

"Uh, Pinkie." As usual, attempting to talk to Pinkie was an exercise in futility. She just kept going. And going. AJ sighed, hanging her head low on the strong neck. An observer might have noticed the flicking tail, or the twitching muscles of the orange ponies body as she tried to contain a mixture of outrage, amusement, mirth and annoyance.

"I have all of thiis stuff I need to go through a checklist for. And first on the checklist is write a checklist. Haha. See, I'm already turning into Twilight. Its a good thing shes coming back, because otherwise I'd have to dye my mane and tail and stuff. And get a baby dragon. Oh, but Gummy's green, and a lot of dragons are green. Maybe if I gave him a lot of hot sauce he cou-"

"PINKIE! Tarnation girl, calm down. And your parties a mite late. She's already here. Hold this." The farmer whipped off her Stetson, stuffing the brim into the open mouth before her. Pinkie clamped down, gently, on the beloved hat. The mixture of emotions left the farmer in a sigh, and she cracked her neck before once more opening her eyes in the blissful silence. She patted her blonde mane, then shook her head once. "Thank you, can Ah have it back now, please?"

"What are you talking about AJ? Of course she isn't." The exuberant mare paused mid bounce, hanging in the air for one second of physics defying impossibility, face contorted in confusion.

"And hows that? You've been stuck up here all day. A parade could have gone by before you'd notice." The farmer grinned, raising one eyebrow.

"Oh don't be silly. My Pinkie Sense would have told me about when she was getting back and it hasn't said anything. And my hooves sweated, tail twitched and I sneezed, but that means that there a really big surprise coming, not a parade silly. A parade is twitchy tail, sneezy nose and shaking right hooves. Unless, OH! Maybe the surprise is Twilight's bringing a parade!" Pinkie landed, finally, and began bouncing around the room once more. Random oddments seemed to float about the pink pony, though there were far to many to be held. Unless she had six hooves, but that was... exactly what was going on. AJ sighed once more, and grabbed the bouncing mare on her second circuit of the room.

"Yeah. Well, maybe the surprise was that Twilight is waiting downstairs for us right now. Come on Sugarcube, your freaky Pinkie Sense can't be right all the time."

"But she isn't here." Pinkie was now truly puzzled. Her Pinkie Sense was never wrong. Ever. And it would have told her when Twilight was coming home. Although, come to think of it, it hadn't given her any of the "coming home letter" signs before the letter had come. "Oh, but you can help me make a list. But I need paper. Can you go get some?"

"How about this sugarcube. You come with me to go get the paper, then I'll help with that list. Fair deal?"

"Okie Dokie Loki." And without any protest, the pink mare skipped out of the room. AJ sighed, shaking her head at the antics of her friend. It was so... Pinkie. And if she kept shaking her head, she would end up with neck problems. She groaned as she rubbed the sore muscles, hoping Rarity would be up to a massage before bed.

Applejack followed the exuberant mare down the stairs, making up for lost time by the expedient fact that Pinkie was standing still at the base of the stairs. "You see, I told you she was here."

"You should have TOLD ME! Oh, this is so wonderful. Now we can have a twins party. I've never had one of those before. Would you need to have two of everything, or one but make everypony share? How many twins are there in Ponyville anyway? Aloe and Lotus, but they don't look the same. What do you think? Oh, that was silly of me. Hi, my names Pinkie Pie, and I LOVE parties. I hope we can become good friends. Whats your name?" She bounced over to the newcomer, and grabbed one hoof between two of hers, shaking firmly. "Oh wait, I forgot my party cannon, we can't have a twins party and a welcome home party and a welcome to Ponyville party all at once without a party cannon. AJ, did you see that in my room somewhere? I can't remember. It's either there, or in Froggy Bottom Bog. That hydra was really surprised by the cake and confetti."

At the foot of the stairs, just inside the doorway of the confectionery, Twilight stood stock still. Her hoof waved up and down as the pink pony who had first gasped and thrown together a surprise party for her when she had come to Ponyville. It hurt that Pinkie would play a trick like that when she was finally back from her... trip. Sojourn would be a better term, but... trip. And here was Pinkie, acting like she was a complete stranger once more. The crowd of ponies stood still for a moment, and slowly Pinkie's shaking slowed, until eventually Twilight's hoof dropped from between the pink mares two extended ones.

"Pinkie, darling, that's Twilight." Rarity tilted her head, leaning into the soft fur of Applejack's shoulder. In the time since their marriage, the company had become accustomed to the small intimacies that the pair of them shared. It would have been hard not to, newly weds and all that. Luckily, Sweet Apple Acres was a very large farm, and Rarity seemed to have no problem with hay, as long as Applejack was already in it. Now though, her face showed only confusion at her friends antics. "We saw her arrive, with Princess Celestia, it must be her."

"No, that's not Twilight. I mean, sure she looks a little like Twilight, but we all know Twilight. I mean, she looks completely different if you look. I mean, that stripe in her hair? Everypony knows that Twilight uses magenta, not fuchsia." She ran a hoof through the specified streak of color running down over the unicorns forehead. At the time, the bangs hung away from her face, the slope of her downcast gaze letting gravity play with the silken strands.

For a moment, every eye was locked on the little pink earth pony. And so, only Pinkie was looking at the purple unicorn in their midst. She saw the eyes widen in pain, then well with tears. When the others turned, shock written plain on their features, the tears were all they saw.

"PINKIE!" Applejack shouted, outraged that her friend would play such a cruel prank. "You apologize right this instant. That there's Twilight. We watched the Princess drop her off, and don't you think she would know the difference?"

"Well, maybe the Princess was confused too. I mean, they look a lot alike, but they aren't the same. That isn't Twilight."

"Yes it is!" Earth ponies have a reputation for being strong of mind and body. They were capable, resiliant, and had a strength as deep and great as the roots of a tree. However, less charitable, though no less accurate, ponies have also likened them to rocks. Not for lack of brains, but because they could out-stubborn the very earth they walk on. Now, Applejack was living up to that less than kind comparison, face set in a firm scowl.

"Everypony, please calm down. I don't want to cause trouble for any of you. She can play her game if it makes her happy. I'm just happy to see you all." Even at the words, tears ran down the pained expression of the unicorn. Even if it was a game, that was a horrible thing to say.

"No Twi, its not okay. That was mean Pinkie Pie. You apologize."

"AJ's right Pinkie, not cool."

"I must concur, that was in very poor taste darling."

"But, I wasn't being mean. That's not Twilight." The Party Pony's head hung low as her friends assailed her. She wasn't lying, it wasn't a trick. Did they really think her that shallow, that mean? Tears fell on the floor of Sugarcube Corner as Pinkie fled, and not all of them were from a purple unicorn.


That had felt so... good. Twilight smiled, her lips parting as a warm tongue traced over her lips, like a pony trying to chase the last flecks of chocolate from her mouth. Her eyes glazed over, and her legs trembled. The anger, the disbelief and hurt as her friends turned on Pinkie. It was delicious. Far beyond anything she had ever felt, the energy, the power that flowed into her was pure bliss. But it was trivial compared to the ecstasy that racked the small body as Pinkie left the room, head hung and hooves barely clearing the floor as the slid forward.

No. Twilight, it was wrong. Are you such a bad friend that you are happy when your friends are hurt?

Yes. It was... most satisfying. After all, she was so cruel to you, wasn't she. After all that time apart, she chose now to play a foalish prank.

"We're real sorry about her Twilight. You really don't need to be playing her games right now. Twilight? Are, are you okay there Sugarcube?"

"Huh, oh, oh yes, I'm fine." Think, think. You need to cover. "I'm just glad to see you all, its been so long."

"Yeah, it has. Ah'm sorry Sugarcube, but we have an early day tomorrow, so Ah need to hit the hay. Care to join me Rarity?"

"Oh! Yes, well, I am terribly, but I must be going as well. Goodnight all. And Twilight dear, we're so very happy that you've returned."

"Can you believe those two? I mean seriously. They just up and bailed. Not cool, so not cool. But they have a point, sorry Twi. You don't get to be as awesome as the Dash without a lot of sleep. Maybe I'll show you some time."

And with that, the room emptied. By door, and window, her friends left, new and old together. Except for one. "Fluttershy, are you okay?"

"Oh, yes. I'm wonderful Twilight, I just wanted to talk to you. But it can wait if you need sleep or... something." The little yellow mare had become so much more confident than the pegasus was teaching birds to sing for the Summer Sun Celebration. There was almost no stutter in her voice, and she would speak before being spoken to now. Say what you will about his personality, Iron Will really did know his business.

"I'm fine Fluttershy, really. What did you want to talk about?"

"You."

"What about me?"

"Well, you were acting um, strange, right before you left. I, I was wondering if you needed somepony to talk too."

"Oh, that." The cheer, the simple happiness that had filled Twilight at the sight of her friends, even after the incident with Pinkie, evaporated. In its place, the gnawing pain of rejection bared its fangs. Worry over Celestia's well being, and her honesty, rose from the dark places in her heart, throwing visions of torment, rejection, and scorn into the young mind. "I- don't worry about it."

"No." The answer was shocking. Was little Fluttershy, the doormat, saying no? This must be a dream. "Twilight, you need to talk to somepony. It doesn't have to be me, but somepony. You were hurting, none of the others noticed, but you were hurting. Please, what was wrong?"

Well, why not? Tell her. Maybe this can be turned to your advantage.

"I, I don't want to be a bother. Just, let it go?" Rather than the firm dismissal of the subject, the tone was almost a plea to continue, and one that Fluttershy could never have denied.

"No Twilight, you need to talk. What happened."

"Have you ever loved somepony Fluttershy? Loved them so much you would do anything for them?"

"I, um, no. No I haven't." The question caught the pegasus off guard. "Is... is that what... what's been bothering you?"


"How did you know?"

The silence of the dawn was broken only by the susurrations of the knee high grass, the bone dry blades stroking themselves in the gentle breeze. They had been walking through the night, the only time the heat of the sun wasn't bordering on fatal. Though, since the unicorn had sniffed, wiping her eyes with one hoof , they hadn't said a word. No mention of her weakness, nothing was said of her change.

"I knew because you are my friend Twilight. I care about you, and I want you to not have to hide behind yourself forever. You looked too calm. You had to be hurting, nopony is that calm. Not all the time anyway."

"Not... that. I meant how did you seem to know so much about my life, what I did, what I thought? That's not possible."

"Oh, that? You think that I can only see the future? There isn't much difference between seeing the past and the future. The past is the future that already happened. In fact, its comparatively soothing. Its more like listening to professional quartet, not every untrained foal on the planet playing at once. There's only one, you know? So I can focus on that one sequence of events, not sit there and try and figure out if it's even feasible."

"So you know all of my past?"

"Pretty much. Since you're a friend, and because you are so impossibly important, yeah, I know most of you life's history. You shouldn't have let Big Mac take Smarty Pants though, he was so adorable." The zebra smirked at the raised eyebrow. Twilight was in control once more it would seem. It had been nice to see the real Twilight for a while though, even if it was only while the mare sobbed into her shoulder.

"What happened the night my parents died?" The grin died, replaced almost immediately with an expression of furtive worry. Since the time that Twilight had met the zebra, Nolux hadn't shown anything that could honestly be classified "uncomfortable". There was always the little smirk, the subconscious idea of her own superiority had cloaked her. The mare wasn't arrogant, but after so many years of never being wrong about anything, she had become confident. Now though, that was stripped from her, leaving only the inner core of her being, divested of its shield. She was scared.

"I... I'm not sure."

"Nolux, what happened?"

"I, I really don't know, I can't tell! It was... horrible."

"What was? Their deaths?" The purple face cocked in confusion as the unicorn stopped, turning to look at her motionless companion. Nolux stood there, facing the now turned Twilight, rigid, and staring at a spot to the unicorn's left. As she stood there, she shivered once, before her eyes snapped closed, then returned to her friend.

"No Twilight. By then, their deaths were a relief. There was something... evil there. I don't know what it was, and I don't want to. It was... wrong. It stopped my Sight, it just blocked it. And even then, I could still feel it. Imagine cold slime covering your body, all over you. Up your nose, in your mouth, everywhere. Its like that, but... not just feel. It tastes like that, smells like it. It... was wrong." She trailed off, the silence weighing heavily in the air between them, a behemoth that would need to be slain. Eventually. Now though, it was dawn, and they needed to find somewhere to rest for the day. Twilight could just barely see the dim haze on the horizon, one that her instincts told her was the forest, HER forest.


"Oh Twilight, that sounds horrible! How could that even happen? Why would the Princess be so... mean?"

"Mean? She wasn't being mean Fluttershy." Twilight said, looking away from the yellow pegasus. "She just, she couldn't even think of me as... as more than her student. She wasn't being cruel, she couldn't be cruel. She... didn't mean it."

Fluttershy actually stamped a hoof, and the bittersweet symphony of the gentle pity sharpened into the spicy bite of outrage. "No! Twilight you deserve love just as much as... as Applejack and Rarity! She didn't have a problem with them, did she? Its not fair that she could be so mean to you! I just, she, I- AAAGHHHHHHHH!" Even Twilight, lost in the rapture of anger she felt from Fluttershy was taken aback. The pegasus who would apologize for whispering too loudly had just screamed, a real, throaty scream of anger.

Well now, that is interesting. One must wonder as to why she would be acting so anomalously. But that anger is delicious, isn't it? Let us see...

Fluttershy was still panting after her... exploit, feathers bristling and wings mantling her body. The anger vanished, and with it, so did her calm. Tears nearly flew from her eyes as she rushed towards Twilight, knocking the unicorn over, and hugging her tight. "I'm, so sorry Twilight, I just, I was so angry, and I... can you forgive me?"

The pink mane swung forward, hiding her face as Fluttershy buried her head in the soft purple shoulder, sobbing in reaction. It was too much, the anger, the sadness, the... everything. It hurt so badly, it made her want to start screaming all over again. But she couldn't. It would hurt Twilight. She couldn't do that, not again. Not like... She had.

"Shh, hush little one. Everything will be all right. You'll, we'll, be okay. I promise." Twilight wrapped a leg around the pegasus, pulling her in closer, squeezing the mare against her own body.