• Published 15th Aug 2014
  • 4,242 Views, 167 Comments

A Little Girls Love - darkmage1997



Princess Cadence and Shining Armor find an abandoned scared little human girl while on their way back from an evening out.

  • ...
8
 167
 4,242

PreviousChapters Next
Original Plot Chapter 11

"You see, when I was alive, I was a kind man, who had everything I could ever want in life. A good paying job, a loving wife, a beautiful daughter, and a roof over my head. However, life has a tendency to be rather cruel. When my daughter was born, my wife unfortunately was unable to survive," the Ghost Driver explained, as a younger version of him held a baby in his arms, a sad look on his face.

"The baby in question..... it wasn't Mavis, was it?" Wanda asked.

"No. It was my daughter, Megan. I raised her as any father would. With loving care, and firm discipline. It was the happiest fourteen years of my life," the Ghost explained.

"Only fourteen years? Did something happen?" Dana asked.

"Yes. It was about when she was at that age where she started showing an interest in boys. There was one in particular that met her fancy. After they started dating, Megan started dressing more inappropriately, stayed out well after curfew, taking part in drugs and alcohol and she even engaged in sexual activities with that boy. When we all found out she was pregnant, the boy dumped her, not wanting the responsibility of being a father," the Ghost explained.

"That's horrible! Have humans really gone downhill so much over the eons?" Yuki asked.

"There are more atrocities that humans have committed, but I won't go too into it. Anyhow, after nine months, Megan gave birth to a baby girl," the Ghost explained.

"Mavis," Daria said in shock.

"Yes. However, Megan did not want to be a mother. She blamed Mavis for her getting dumped by the boy who knocked her up, even trying to go as far as ending Mavis' life when she was just an infant," the Ghost explained. The Nymphs were aghast by what he had told them. A mother not only not wanting her own child, but going as far as to kill her child?! Humans were truly barbaric.

"But, since Mavis is here in Equestria, I take it Megan was unable to kill her?" Marina asked.

"You're right about that. I attempted to wrestle the gun out of her hands before she did something drastic. However, life once again played it's cruelty on me, as the gun went off, piercing both Megan's heart and lung, killing her instantly," the Ghost tearfully explained.

"I'm sure it was just an accident, right?" Wanda asked.

"It was. When I was taken to court after someone called the police, I explained everything. I was thankfully able to avoid jail time, but since there were two deaths since I got married, Mavis was taken by Child Protection Services, and put into foster care, while I was to receive several months of therapy. After I got a clean bill of health, I was set to go get Mavis back. However, her first Foster Family issued a restraining order against me, preventing me from being within 500 feet of her. I was, however, able to somehow find out how they were treating her, and none of it was good. They constantly forget to feed her, change her diaper, and neglect her health and need for warmth. I knew I had to do something," the Ghost explained.

"I don't think I'm going to like the answer, but, what happened next?" Veronica asked.

"Well, I got a job as a Bus Driver, as you can see, and I was lucky not only for the foster family to be aboard the bus at the time, but Mavis' bastard father, the same boy who got Megan pregnant, was also on the bus. Before I picked them up, I made sure to place several flammable alcoholic drinks around the bus. That night when they were all on the bus, I had drove the bus to a bridge that was to be built, but was under construction. I knew what I was about to do was an act of great sin, but it had to be done. So, I steeled myself, and drove the bus over the cliff. The impact ended up killing myself and everyone on the bus that day, but it was worth it to try and get Mavis out of that Foster Home. However, things only got worse for her over the years," the Ghost explained.

"Let me guess. Each Foster Home she went to treated her worse than the last one, until she wound up here, right?" Sky asked.

"Yes. Every time a foster family would abuse Mavis, or if someone were to attempt to cross the bridge where I met my end, I would show up and take their lives. And all the foster families I killed over the years all did something truly despicable to Mavis, in one way or another. Either hogging food for themselves, and keeping Mavis from enjoying any, to bullying her for candy or toys she would rarely get. That teddy bear is the only thing that wasn't stolen, as the foster family kids didn't want a 'shoddy looking rag'. However, the deaths that followed Mavis earned her the title 'Cursed Child' for wherever she went, I would go," the Ghost explained, remembering everyone he killed.

"From what the princess told us, she apparently gets tense when she's without it," Wanda added.

"Yes. That Teddy Bear is the only thing that gave her comfort, kept her sane, to put it simply. All the abuse not only damaged her physically, but she was also broken on the inside. Her heart, mind, and spirit," the Ghost explained.

"You said that in past tense," Mariah observed.

"Yes. Since she became her student, Mavis has finally discovered what it means to be happy, which is one of three prerequisites that must be met for me to move on," the Ghost explained.

"Apart from happiness, what else does she need to feel?" Sky asked.

"She must also feel safe and free. Living in that Crystal Empire will help her feel safe, but it is up to her to attain her freedom," the Ghost said, as it disappeared.

"So, the Ghost is actually Mavis' Grandfather, who's just looking out for her," Wanda commented.

"Well, you can't blame him for watching out for her well being. But what did he mean when he was talking about Mavis' freedom?" Daria asked.

"I don't know. But we should keep a watch over Mavis, even when she is to return to the Empire," Wanda said, as they gathered up the berries, and returned to the Grotto. All the while, the Nymphs were saddened, knowing that the first interesting thing to happen to them in centuries would soon be leaving.


9 months after the Nymphs took Mavis in

Sky was teaching Mavis how to properly string a guitar, "Then you tighten the strings by twisting these knobs up here," Sky explained, as Mavis was stringing a guitar herself. She had a little trouble with gauging how much string to use, "Hang on sweetie, let me show you something," Sky said, as she showed Mavis a trick to stringing the guitar.


12 months after the Nymphs took Mavis in,

Mavis was reading some textbooks that Mariah had leant her. Thankfully, the little girl was able to understand all the complex terms in the book, due to the many literature lessons she received over the many months she was here. However, reading the books was making her very drowsy, and she promptly fell asleep. Mariah, who was supervising Mavis, could only chuckle, "Oh Mavis."


14 months after the Nymphs took Mavis in,

"Hey Mavis, I've been wondering something," Dana commented, as she was showing Mavis how to decorate a cake.

"Yes?" Mavis asked, as she place a strawberry on the cake.

"When is your birthday?" Dana asked. The response she got was not at all expected.

"What's a birthday?" Mavis asked. Dana then thought about it. Her encounter with the Demon Bus clued her in to Mavis' lack of knowledge of a Birthday. Mavis was neglected all her life, so it was only natural she didn't know what a Birthday was.

"Well, a Birthday is the day you celebrate when you were born. It happens once a year," Dana explained. Mavis thought about it, but couldn't really pinpoint her birthday.

"I... don't know," Mavis replied. Dana also knew that from the abuse Mavis had gotten, she would more than likely react negatively to getting presents, cake, and attention, and chose not to press the matter.


Mavis' last day of training,

"Ok Mavis, now, try to move those boulders," Wanda requested. Mavis concentrated her magic, and focused it on the boulders Wanda was referring to. With a little effort, she was able to move the boulders a few feet, "Well done, Mavis! You've certainly come a long way since you began training under us," Wanda commented. And she was right. The sickly, timid little girl that Mavis was before was gone, and was replaced with a healthier looking little girl.

"Thank you, Wanda," Mavis replied, as a cluster of crystals formed around her bare feet, which grew out into a larger cluster, "Uh, Wanda..... what's happening?" she asked, sounding scared. While Mavis has gained more confidence over the many months she lived in the grotto, she was still scared of the unknown.

"You don't need to worry. If you remember, we offered you a way to gain beauty like ours. This is the process in which it will be finalized," Wanda replied, as beams of light shot at Mavis from the Crystals. They made Mavis feel warm, as fairy like wings sprouted from her back, "Congratulations Mavis, you are now officially a Crystal Nymph. With this, your training is now complete," Mavis looked up to Wanda, as her words carried a hint of sorrow in them.

"Wanda, is there something wrong?" Mavis asked. Wanda motioned Mavis to sit on her lap.

"Well, now that your training is complete, you'll have to go back to the Crystal Empire. That was the deal we made with Cadence," Wanda sadly replied. Mavis had a look of sorrow as well, but there was also a hint on uncertainty and nervousness as well. She had completely forgotten about the princess over the many months she was there.

"B-but I like it here," Mavis replied.

"I know you do, and we loved having you here as well, but we promised Cadence that after we help you get back to proper health and help you come out of your shell, then we were to return you to the Crystal Empire," Wanda replied.

"But..... why didn't you tell me about this?" Mavis asked.

"Well, Cadence asked us not to mention a word about the deal to you at first. She figured that if you knew, that you would try to run away from us, to get back to the Crystal Empire. She wanted you to do all of this training so you could get some rest, and try to attain a healthier physique," Wanda explained. Mavis tried to think of a way out of this predicament, but was unable to formulate a plan. With a heavy sigh, she resigned herself.

"Ok, if you say I must go back, then I will," Mavis replied, disappointed. Wanda wanted to lift her spirits back up, when she got an idea.

"Well, just because you have to go back to the Empire doesn't mean we can't still hang out," Wanda quickly quipped. This caught Mavis attention, "Well, to put it simply, what if I gave you an artifact that lets you not only communicate with us, but can let either you or us transport between locations?" she suggested. Mavis thought about it for a moment. If things were to get undesirable in the Crystal Empire, she could come back to the grotto until the mess blows over. Plus, she could talk to her mentors anytime she wanted.

"Well, ok," Mavis replied, sounding a bit more upbeat than before.

"Great! Now, let's go back to my hut, and I'll get it for you," Wanda said, as they returned to her hut. Inside, Wanda got an amulet from the upper shelves, "Well, here it is Mavis. You're key to staying in contact with us at anytime," she said, giving Mavis the amulet, "All you have to do is pour a little magic into the amulet, and focus in on the grotto. The amulet will transport you to our location. And if you want to go back to where the amulet was, just place you hand on a crystal, and focus on the amulet," she explained, pulling Mavis into a hug.

"Ok. Thank you for this Wanda," Mavis said gratefully, returning the hug.

"You're very welcome Mavis. Now then, it's rather late, so how about we get you some supper, and you can spend one last night with us?" Wanda asked.

"I would love that," Mavis replied, as they made their way to Dana's kitchen.


In a shadowy part of Equestria,

Several shadowy figures appeared, "That cursed child is in this world, it seems," a man's voice came from one of the shadows.

"I can't wait to get revenge on that brat!" a woman's voice replied.

"It's all her fault that we died!" a little girl's voice added.

"Well, no matter what, she will pay for what she did," a teen boy's voice replied, as the shadowy figures disappeared.

PreviousChapters Next