• Published 15th Aug 2014
  • 4,242 Views, 167 Comments

A Little Girls Love - darkmage1997



Princess Cadence and Shining Armor find an abandoned scared little human girl while on their way back from an evening out.

  • ...
8
 167
 4,242

PreviousChapters Next
Original Plot Chapter 6

Sunlight pierced the darkness in Mavis' room, causing her to stir in her sleep. Mavis, felt too comfortable in bed, however, and did not want to get up. That, and also the fact that she was too scared to move. She had cried herself to sleep the night before, as she could hear the sound of the Demon Bus's horn from outside, 'I hope they managed to deal with the demon,' Mavis thought to herself, as she rolled herself out of bed, flopping on the floor. She was used to this kind of thing, all because of several previous foster families she had been in the care of.

"Move it, brat!"


"God, can anyone be any stupider than you?"


"What a stupid bear, for a stupid bitch!"


"Get out of my sight!"

The voices kept repeating the similar or worse things in her head, over and over again, causing her to clench her head, wanting them to stop, "Please, someone help me!" she quietly pleaded, almost inaudibly. Just then, knocking could be heard from the door, making her jump in shock.

"Mavis, sweetie? Are you up?" she heard Cadence call from behind the door. Mavis, not wanting to anger the princess by making her wait, quickly rushed over to the door, with her Teddy Bear in hand. She tried jumping up to reach the door knob, but was only able to graze it. She then saw the doorknob glowing with Cadence's magic. Fearing that the Princess was angry with her for not answering her right away, Mavis quickly rushed back behind the bed, and cowered in fear, "Mavis?" she heard Cadence ask, as she entered. This made Mavis fear the absolute worse.


Mavis' Imagination,

Mavis could only continue cowering, as she heard the hoof steps of Cadence stomping closer to her hiding place, "Oh, so here you were!" Mavis looked up to see a really angry looking Cadence, "I have been calling you for five minutes! You know you're expected to respond to me IMMEDIATELY when royalty calls for you, yes?" Cadence questioned. Mavis was about to answer, when Cadence held up her hoof, "Don't even pollute my ears with you vulgar voice! Come to think of it.... your very presence in Equestria disgusts me beyond reason!" Cadence said, as she used her magic on Mavis' beloved Teddy Bear, incinerating it. Mavis was absolutely devastated, seeing her cherished toy destroyed, "Now, get out of my sight!" Cadence bellowed, as Mavis ran out of the castle, hoping to get away from not only Cadence, but Equestria as well.


Reality,

Mavis continued cowering, clutching her Teddy Bear, as she heard Cadence approached her, "Mavis? Are you alright?" Mavis looked up to see the concerned look on Cadence's face. Mavis quickly got on her hands and knees, bowing to her.

"P-P-P-P-Please forgive me, Princess. I-I-I'll try harder to answer the door next time!" Mavis said in her broken tone, refusing to lift her head to look at Cadence. Cadence felt her heart break, seeing Mavis so fearful of her. She knelt down to try and look at her in eyes.

"Mavis, I assure you, I am not the slightest bit angry with you. I was just coming to see if you were awake, and wanting breakfast," Cadence reassured. Mavis didn't seem too convinced, but she was feeling hungry.

"O-Ok," Mavis quietly complied, standing up. Cadence nodded, and ushered Mavis out of the room. However, unbeknownst to Mavis, she had forgotten her beloved Teddy Bear, as it laid on the floor. Once the two of them were at the end of the hall, ready to descend the stairs, Mavis realized she had left it in her room, but didn't want to anger Cadence by asking to go back. She just continued on, pretending nothing was wrong, but was beginning to stress out immensely. This did not go unnoticed by Cadence.

"Mavis, where's your Teddy Bear?" Mavis shrunk as Cadence spoke to her. Once again, refusing to anger the Princess, Mavis chose to force herself to answer.

"I-I-I must have l-left it back in my r-room," Mavis quietly confessed. She was hoping not to anger Cadence any more than she felt she did already.

"Well, if you want, once I get you settled in the dining room, I'll teleport back, and get it for you?" Cadence offered. Mavis really didn't want to make the Princess do any favors for her, but she felt completely insecure without her Teddy Bear. She was desperate to get it back.

"O-Ok," Mavis could kick herself for agreeing to such terms, but didn't, as she didn't want to be rude in front of Cadence.

"Very well then. Let's go get you settled in," Cadence said, ushering Mavis into the dining hall, where Shining Armor, along with Twilight and Spike were already having breakfast.

"Good Morning Cadence, Mavis. I trust you both slept well?" Twilight asked.

"I did, and I assume Mavis did too?" Cadence asked. Mavis tensed up. Truthfully, she had no dreams last night, good or bad, but was unwilling to share her thoughts.

"Well, that's good to hear. Is there anything in particular you both want to eat?" Twilight asked.

"I'll just have some pancakes. What about you, Mavis?" Cadence asked. Mavis really didn't want to ask the Princesses for food, so she chose to go with something small.

"T-T-T-Toast?" Mavis whimpered.

"At once," Spike said, as he went to prepare the request food items.

"I need to head back up to rooms really quick to get something. I won't be long," Cadence said, as she teleported away. It was only for a brief moment, but to Mavis, it felt like an eternity, as the same voices she was trying to push out of her head were beginning to taunt her once more, even more persistently. She tried to keep a neutral look on her face, but both Twilight and Shining Armor could tell she was not alright. Her trembling eyes clearly showed she was reliving through some kind of traumatic ordeal. Just as Twilight was about to see if she was alright, Cadence teleported back, with Mavis' patchwork Teddy Bear, "Here you go Mavis," she said, floating the toy in question over to the timid girl, who respectfully took it back.

"Th-thank you, Princess," Mavis murmured quietly, hugging her bear tightly, feeling at ease.

"Did.... something happen?" Cadence asked, as she took her seat.

"Mavis had another one of.... those spells," Shining Armor whispered to his wife. Cadence immediately knew what he was talking about, remembering the traumatized look on Mavis' face the first time they met her. They knew they had to get the bottom of Mavis' fearful behavior, but they weren't sure how to do so, without Mavis' feeling like she was being interrogated. Just then, Spike came back in with both Cadence and Mavis' breakfasts.

"Pancakes for Cadence, and toast for Mavs," he said, presenting the two with their respective breakfasts.

"Thank you Spike," Cadence said. Mavis merely shrunk in her seat. She wasn't very comfortable with being so close to a dragon, even if Spike was only a baby dragon. In fact, she felt so uncomfortable, she almost forgot how to talk.

"I'll just assume Mavis is grateful, and leave it at that," Spike said, as he took a bowl of jewels, and took a seat at a seat further down from Mavis, in order to give her some space. Mavis said nothing, and only started eating her toast, the only sounds were the crunching of the crispy bread in her mouth.

"Maybe we could try doing something fun with Mavis? Maybe she would open up to us a little bit," Shining Armor suggested in a hushed voice.

"But what can we do? Her behavior makes it clear she doesn't want to feel like we're spoiling her," Cadence questioned. Mavis was to much involved with eating her meager breakfast, but could faintly hear what the grown ups were saying. She felt even smaller than ever before. The way she was hearing it, they were talking about how she was taking their kindness and generosity for granted. She had finished her last piece of toast, when she got up.

"I-I need to use the bathroom," Mavis quietly said, but she was still heard by the adults.

"I can take her to the bathroom," Shining Armor volunteered, as he had finished his breakfast. He got up, and ushered Mavis out of the dining room.

"So... how'd things go with the Demon Bus? Were you able to find it?" Cadence asked.

"We did. And it reveal some... rather interesting things about Mavis, and how she's the key to helping it move on," Twilight replied, as she explained everything in detail to Cadence. Needless to say, the Princess of Love was most surprised. She figured Mavis had to have some kind of previous encounter with the Demon, but to hear that she is the key to helping her to move on? Both princesses felt there was some kind of major piece of the puzzle that they were missing. Just then, Shining Armor burst into the dining room, looking extremely frantic.

"Darling? Where's Mavis?" Cadence asked.

"She's gone! All that was left in the bathroom was her Bear!" Shining Armor said, levitating the raggedy bear over to them. The Princesses were shocked to hear this news.

"WHAT?!" They bellowed in the Royal Canterlot Voice.


Cold. Mavis could only feel cold, as she felt herself laying on a rocky surface, which she thought was odd. Last she checked, she was in a crystalline castle, with a smooth floor. She took a moment to remember what had transpired. She had just gone to the bathroom, and finished washing her hands, when she was about to leave the bathroom. But as she did, she saw a black mist surrounding her, pulling her in. She called out to Shining Armor, who then burst through the door upon hearing Mavis' cry, for help. Opening her eyes, she saw she was on some sort of mountain clearing. She looked up to see it was still nighttime. Again, this was odd, as it was daytime when she woke up and had breakfast, "Surprised to see it's still nighttime?" she heard someone say. Turning to the source, she saw King Sombra, looking sinisterly at Mavis, who attempted to back away, only for Sombra to use his magic to create a wall made of dark crystals, which trapped the young girl, "Now, now. I can't have you running off, my little hostage," Sombra taunted mercilessly. Mavis, overwhelmed with dread, chose to talk.

"W-Who are you, and where am I?" she quietly asked.

"I suppose some introductions are in order. I am Sombra, the rightful King of the Crystal Empire! And as for where you are, you're in a very unique part of Equestria, one that has been irreversibly been affected by the magic of another creature of darkness, known simply as Nightmare Moon. A spell she cast has plunged this entire mountain range into perpetual night," Sombra explained to his hostage.

"S-S-So, why am I h-h-here?" Mavis asked cautiously.

"Consider it an investment. It would appear that Princess Cadence and her friends and family all care deeply about you, and would want you to return to them, by any means. Which is why I am going to exploit that to my advantage. In simpler terms, I am going to give you back to them, in exchange for not only the Crystal Empire, but ALL OF EQUESTRIA!" Sombra proclaimed loudly. Mavis flinched at the loud volume, and feared the worst, because she thought that not only Cadence, but everyone she's met would blame her for Sombra's rise to tyrannical power. It was then that she and Sombra both felt a sudden chill.

"Oh no," Mavis squeaked fearfully.

"Mavis...…. Mavis...…… where's my little baby? I love my little baby!" a ghostly voice said, as a mist rolled in.

"What is the meaning of this?" Sombra questioned. Just then, the red lights of the Demon Bus appeared. Mavis' first instinct was to run away and hide, but Sombra would most likely catch her before she could get far, "So, you must be the evil presence I've been sensing," Sombra accused.

"I could say the same about you, 'unicorn'," the Demon said, it's red, eyes, glaring fiercely at Sombra, who glared back.

"You shall address me as KING Sombra! Now, state your business here," the disgraced king demanded.

"AND YOU SHALL NOT SPEAK TO ME IN THIS MANNER! I possess powers far beyond anything you are capable of!" the Demon roared, making Mavis cower in fear. Mavis was absolutely terrified of buses, but to see the most evil one in existence? It was all to much for her, "As for you, Mavis, take walk down that path. Somewhere beyond this mountain range, you'll find mentors who can help you come out of your shell. I have things to discuss with this one," Mavis needed no further urging, as she ran off, screaming for her life.

"NO! MY HOSTAGE!" Sombra was about to go after Mavis, when the Demon Bus materialized in front of him, stopping his advances.

"As I said, WE have much to discuss," the Demon said, putting emphasis on the word discuss.


Mavis didn't know where she was running to, but anywhere was better than being face to face with the Demon Bus. The mountain pass was freezing, but she knew she had to get away. But one thing was bothering her. Why would the thing she feared most want to help her? As she was lost in thought, she didn't watch where she was going, and nearly walked straight off the cliff. She was able to stop herself, just shy of the edge, "T-Too close," Mavis commented. A demonic shrieking from the way she just came made her flinch. Once more, she wasn't paying attention to the cliff, as it gave way, plunging her into the raging rivers bellow. Mavis attempted to swim to the surface, when she hit her head on a rock, knocking her out. Thankfully so, as she could not hear a demonic voice, calling out.

"NOOOOO! MAVIS!"

Author's Note:

In the next chapter, while they weren't in the version of the story before the mermaid/gorgon rewrite, Mavis will meet ALL of the Nymphs, not just the 16 she already met

PreviousChapters Next