• Published 14th Jul 2014
  • 7,299 Views, 622 Comments

Our Little Clementine - MaxBeezy



The "My New Life In Equestria" trilogy concludes with the chronicles of Matt and Applejack raising their Daughter from foalhood to her teenage years. Hilarity ensues. Sort of.

  • ...
33
 622
 7,299

The Age of Matthew Williams

The train to Neighagra Falls leaves the station, as Matt and Applejack wave goodbye to Clementine, who waves back until she is gone from their sight. It’s never easy for the two parents to say goodbye to their little filly, especially that she’s going to be far away, and without her special band to bring her back to them, should she want to get home quickly. Matt leans down, wrapping an arm around Applejack, and giving her a kiss on the cheek, letting her know that Clementine will be fine. Applejack sees right through him; he’s worried too, he always is, and she responds back wordlessly and with a kiss of her own on his cheek.

The two walk out of town, and on the way back to the house, with Matt’s hand resting on the top of her mane, caressing it gently as they travel.

“It’s been a while since we had the house to ourselves.” Applejack says. “Ya thinkin’ what I’m thinkin’?”

“Party till the break of dawn, yo?” Matt asks in a deadpan tone, but with words that would befit a rambunctious teen.

“Sorry. Ya married Applejack, not Pinkie Pie.” she giggles. “Ah was thinkin’ more along the lines of invitin’ our friends over for a nice get together.” She notices Matt’s look of confusion. It doesn’t sound far away from his initial guess. “And NOT party till the break of dawn…yo.” she laughs at the last part.

“That sounds like fun.” Matt smirks. “It’ll be nice to get together with the others. It’s been a long time since we all in the same room together. We should keep Rarity away from the drapes, though. Last time she was over, she had an idea to turn our drapes into a new dress. I like the drapes we have, so if she asks, we’ll tell her to buy it at the store.”

The two share a chuckle at the prospect. They are a couple yards away from the house, when they see a sight they thought they’d never see. Matt’s Mother is hurriedly, almost worryingly, knocking on the door in bated breaths. Matt’s eyes soften, hearing her breaths of distress instantly.

“Mom?” Matt walks forward away from Applejack. “Mom, what’s wrong?” His Mother turns around rapidly, looking upon Matt’s concerned face. Immediately, she rushes to him, wrapping her arms around his waist. “Mom? What’s going on?”

“Matt…sweetheart.” His Mom sobs, struggling to get the words out. “It’s your Father.”

“What are you talking about? What about Dad? Is he okay?”

“He…he…” tears stream down her face. “He didn’t wake up this morning.”

Matt’s eyes widen. He takes his Mom by the shoulders, looking into her eyes, pleading for good news, and that his Dad just had a scare. Her eyes do not tell that story. He shakes his head.

“M-Mom? What are you saying?”

“The doctors did what they could. But…he’s gone.” Her sobs turn into full blown cries, as she buries herself in Matt’s shoulder. “He’s gone, Matt. Your Father is gone!” Her arms tighten around his waist.

Applejack, tears streaming down, runs to them, and hugs them both, crying alongside Matt’s Mother. The only one who stays quiet is Matt. All he does is look out to the world before him, staring at it like he no longer recognizes where he is and why he’s there. His widened eyes never wane, never calm, and only stare unblinkingly forward.


It takes almost an hour to get inside the house. Inside, Applejack and Matt’s Mom spend time talking to each other, reminiscing about her Husband and his time with her and Matt. They laugh and cry as they talk, while Matt stays silent. His shocked gaze had finally subsided, giving way to a near eerie calm. He watches Applejack and his Mom talk and look back on the life of his Father, and what kind of man he was. Kind, friendly, funny, supportive, all the positives that one could think off. Matt smiled and nodded at the words, agreeing with everything they say, but he still cannot get the words out.

After another hour, Matt’s Mother stands, prompting Matt and Applejack to stand with her.

“I have to go make some calls.” she says. “I want to get a reception together as soon as possible.” she looks at Matt with a small chuckle, obviously fighting another sob. “Your Father…he always wanted to be prepared. Had his casket…” a lump in her throat stops her for just a moment, “…all picked out years in advance.”

“That’s Dad.” Matt responds ever so softly. “He always had an idea for everything.” Matt’s Mom walks up to him, kissing him on the forehead. She edges closer to the door, opening it. “You want me to come with you? I can help set up.”

“No, it’s fine. Spend time with Applejack…and your friends.” she holds Matt’s hand. “I’ll see you soon.”

Matt nods and smiles lightly. His Mother lets go and waves goodbye, closing the door quietly. A small flash is seen through the windows. She’s gone back to her world. It’s at that moment, that Matt drops to his knees. All the strength he was showing is gone in an instant, and what is left is a man in tears. Applejack holds him close, allowing him to cry as long and as hard as he can.

“Oh, sugarcube.” Applejack whispers, “Ya didn’t need ta hold it in.”

“I-I…I’m sorry.” Matt sniffles. “I just…wanted to be strong for you and Mom.”

“Matt…oh, Matt…” she holds him tighter. “There’s nothin’ wrong with cryin’. Even someone as tough as you needs ta get emotional sometimes.” She feels him chuckle through the tears. “So cry as much as ya need ta.”

“Thanks, AJ.” Matt smiles, sniffling.

“How old was he?”

“He was supposed to turn seventy two next month.”

“Oh mah. That’s young.” she says in a surprised gasp.

“Not really. Us human’s are lucky to reach one hundred.”

A strong silence fills the air, as Applejack’s eyes widen just as wide as Matt’s eyes were. Her breath becomes panicked and short, and her grip becomes tighter on Matt’’s body than it ever was. Matt rubs her back and brushes her mane, struggling to realize what is putting her in this state.

“No…no, no, no…not you! Not mah Matt!” Applejack’s tears start up again as Matt manages to separate from her grip, and puts his hands on her shoulders.

“AJ? What’s wrong?”

“No! Ah can’t lose ya! Not so soon!” Applejack gets close, grazing her cheek against him, like some desperate attempt to get him to live longer.

“AJ?! What are you talking about?”

“Matt…seventy two is nowhere near the average lifespan of an Equestrian. It’s not even half!”

Matt’s stares at her with mouth open. He doesn’t know what to say, and even if he did, he wouldn’t know how to deliver it. His mind races and races, wondering how to respond. Only “What to you mean?” exits his state of confusion.

“The average life span of an Equestrian is over two hundred years old!” she answers clearly.

Matt’s shock still doesn’t quell. It’s only enhanced.

“Two…two hundred years? So…” Matt remembers the time Granny Smith told him the origins of Ponyville, and how she was a filly during that time. In the history books, Ponyville was founded well over two hundred years ago, making Granny Smith older than anyone he had ever met, discounting the immortal Princesses and Queen Chrysalis. At the time, he dismissed her story as a tall tale, due to the inconsistent timeline, but now… “Twilight…” he remembers, “Twilight never asked me about our lifespan. She doesn’t know!”

Matt separates himself from Applejack. He feels ill. The shock of knowing that he won’t live to grow old with the love of his life makes him sick to the very core. He runs to the bathroom, collapses next to the toilet, and hurls the morning breakfast from his stomach. His mind tries to tell him that it’s not true, that this is merely a bad dream, but the feeling in his stomach is very very real. The sickness is over as soon as it starts. After a flush, he weakly goes to the sink and washes his face.

That’s when he sees it.

His face. For over seventeen years in Equestria, his face never changed. His body did, due to time on the farm, but in terms of youth, he still had the face of someone approaching his thirties. No wrinkles. No crow’s feet. No grey hairs. He’s nearing his mid forties, yet he doesn’t look anywhere close to it.

“Twilight…” Matt looks to Applejack on the bed, sitting on the edge as she waited for her husband to emerge from the bathroom. “We have to see Twilight.”


Every Friday, Twilight spends half of her day dismantling and rearranging her massive library of books. Before Spike grew up, he used to dislike this day, due to usually wanting to spend the beginning of the weekend sleeping or eating ice cream, but the enthusiastic princess would have none of it. During every week, Twilight would always buy a new book, and in turn, she would have to move books around to make it fit.

This week, she purchased the latest entry in the long running series of Daring Do novels, Daring Do and The Palace of Immortality. Twilight’s library is tightly snug, now, it must be made loose to accommodate the next literary entry.

KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK

A process that will unfortunately have to wait. Twilight goes to the door, opening up to see Matt and Applejack, both in alarming distress.

“Matt? AJ?” Twilight looks at both of them in equal confusion. “What’s the matter?”

“I need you to take a sample of my blood.” Matt says bluntly, walking past Twilight towards the throne room.

“Wait…hold on-what?” Twilight teleports in front of him, stopping his steps. “What do you mean you want me to take your blood?”

“I want you to compare it to the sample you took when I first came here.”

“Why do you want me to do that?”

“Matt…” Applejack says softly, putting a hoof on his arm. The gesture calms him a little bit, as he looks to her pleading gaze. “You should tell her what’s goin’ on.”

“I…” Matt realizes his rudeness, “I’m sorry Twilight. We found out this morning that….” his voice cracks, “…m-my dad passed away.”

Twilight lets out a saddened gasp. “Oh no!” she cries. “I’m so sorry, Matt. But…what does this have to do with…”

“He was going to turn seventy two. He died in his sleep, which is common of those who are old age.”

“But…but that’s…”

“Young.” Matt completes her thought correctly, “That’s what AJ said. Humans are lucky to live to one hundred, but Applejack tells me that the average equestrian can live to at least two hundred.”

“Yes, that’s true, I…” Twilight ceases her statement, realizing that she never asked Matt of his species’ life expectancy, nor disclosing how long an equestrian lives. Another gasp leaves her mouth, this one louder than the last. “I never told you!”

“I know. The thing is, I shouldn’t look like this at my age. I want you to take a sample of my blood to see if anything has changed. Anything at all.”

“Follow me.”

Twilight takes Matt and Applejack to her laboratory; a room that hasn’t seen as much activity as Twilight would like, as some royal duties prevented her from having to conduct experiments, but its usefulness remained second to none. The doors open and creak, a sign of its lack of use, but the room is clean and spotless all the same, with nary a speck of dust dirtying up the bunsen burners or vials.

“Hold out your arm.” Twilight says, picking up a syringe from the drawer. She uses her magic to sanitize the needle. Matt does so, holding out his right arm. Twilight injects the needle into Matt’s arm, removing a small amount of blood into the syringe. “This shouldn’t take long.” Twilight assures them, as she levitates the microscope to her position.

Carefully, she drops a few spots of blood underneath the microscope, placing the needle down on the table soon after. She looks inside, making some adjustments to the lens for better focus.

It doesn’t take too long for Matt and Applejack to notice her widened eyes and opened mouth. She’s discovered something.

“What?” Matt says, getting closer. “What did you find?”

“Matt…get me my copy of Mysteries of Equestria: Volume One.” Twilight removes herself from the microscope, flailing her forelegs at him to get him going. “Go!”

“I’ll get it. You just took his blood, Twilight.” Applejack volunteers, “Where is it?”

“Sorry. It’s just…” Twilight shakes thoughts from her mind, getting on the task at hoof. “Bottom of the third shelf.”

Applejack takes off galloping out the door.

“Twilight…”

“Matt, this is important.”

“I know this is important. I want to know…”

“You will. I can’t explain this properly unless I have…” Within moments, Applejack returns with Twilight’s book, to which she promptly completes her thought with, “…the book.” She takes the book from Applejack with her magic, opening up to the page about Matt. “Look, when I talk about genetic compatibility, I put a picture of your strand of DNA in the book.”

“I know that. I remember.”

“Of course. This…” she points to the picture of his DNA cells. “…that’s what it looked like over seventeen years ago.” Twilight directs her hoof to the microscope, “Look now.”

Matt goes to the microscope and looks inside. What he sees makes his mouth go as agape as Twilight’s did when she looked inside. His blood cells aren’t what they used to be. No longer are they simply red, but now have a blue sparkle to them, and a white aura around each and every one of them. Matt reacts accordingly by stepping back as far as he can from the microscope, unable to comprehend what he’s looking at. Applejack looks inside for herself.

“What is all this?” Applejack wonders, “Why is his blood like this?”

“I…” Even Twilight cannot explain. “I don’t know. I’ve never seen anything like it.”

“Somepony must know!” Applejack raises her voice. “Why is mah Matt like this? What is going on?”

“If anypony might know what’s going on, it could be Princess Celestia.”


In the throne room of Canterlot Castle, Princess Celestia and Queen Chrysalis are enjoying a quiet breakfast, whilst partaking in activities one would see an old married couple doing. With Celestia and Chrysalis reading the morning papers. Celestia intently reads the news, while Chrysalis looks for the latest deals at electronics stores.

The small and comforting moment is broken by a flash of light, and Twilight, Applejack, and an eternally confused Matt appear.

“What in the name of…Twilight?” Celestia stands from her throne, “What are you and the others doing here? Is everything okay?”

“Princess Celestia, Queen Chrysalis, there’s something you two have to see. Where’s Luna?”

“She’s asleep. It’s morning, Twilight. What’s going on?”

“Matt’s species. Humans. They only live up to one hundred years of age. But, he tells me that he hasn’t aged one bit since he’s been here. So, I took a sample of his blood, and compared it to the sample I took over seventeen years ago. Look!” In another flash, two pictures appear. One showing the previous sample, and the other of the new one.

Celestia and Chrysalis look at the pictures with curiosity, and then surprise.

“I…” Celestia can barely get the words out. “In all my years, I have never seen genetic alteration quite like this. Your blood has fully melded with the magical properties of our world. Blood…all blood has some form of magical property; it was how I was able to make the bands for you and your family, but this…this is beyond just a simple alteration.”

“But what does that mean?” Matt steps forward.

“Matt…” Chrysalis gets closer. “At any point, have you ever gotten sick since you stayed here? Ever broken a bone?”

“I don’t know about being sick, but I remember breaking a few during the King Sombra incident. Other than that…no. In fact…I have noticed that I’ve been quite durable.”

“The King Sombra incident…that makes sense.” Celestia nods to herself.

“What? What makes sense? How did this happen? Is it the food? The water? The air?”

“Possibly, but there’s also a strong chance that the Elements of Harmony did something to your genetic code. Applejack, Twilight and the others have only wielded one Element of Harmony, but you had all six in your possession. Perhaps the extended time you spent holding those Elements changed you. Not immediately, but gradually.”

“Is that how ah managed to get pregnant? Because of this?” Applejack asks.

“No. Matt was compatible with us before the Elements changed him. It may have sped up the process, though.”

“Wait a minute!” Matt interrupts. “What does this all mean? How long do I have to live? Will I live as long as AJ?”

“Matt…” Celestia shakes her head, “I honestly do not know. Best case scenario….yes.”

“And…what’s the worst case scenario?”

“You live as long as us.”

Time stands still in Matt’s head. He looks at Celestia, Chrysalis and Twilight. Three immortals. Practical gods. They can live for eternity. Some would kill for a life like that. But, his eyes then fall on Applejack. His love. His life. His everything. He imagines a future where he stays young, but she grows old and dies. He imagines the same for Clementine, and her foals. He backs away slowly, shaking his head in disbelief.

“No…no…no….” Matt mutters, before… “I DON’T WANT TO BE IMMORTAL!” He runs as fast as he can out of the throne room.

“Matt, wait!” Applejack follows, leaving the royalty alone.

Chrysalis feels compelled to chase after them, but a hoof from Celestia stops her in her tracks. The Princess shakes her head at the Queen, telling her to give them space. Chrysalis nods, stepping back from her desire to go after them. It takes her all, though, with the thought of her friends' sadness bringing mist into her eyes.

“Twilight…” Chrysalis turns to her, “What brought this on?”

“His father died this morning. He was going to be seventy two.”


Matt runs all the way to the castle steps. Sobbing, he collapses to his knees, burying his face in his hands as tears flow from his eyes. Applejack follows close behind. Carefully, she sits next to him, allowing him to cry. He looks up into her emerald eyes, sniffling away the last of his sobs. He puts his head on her shoulder.

“It’s alright, hon.” Applejack says.

“I wish that were true.” Matt whispers. “I shouldn’t have run away like that.”

“Do whatever ya like. They understand. It’s a lot ta process.”

Matt nods in agreement, nuzzling against her shoulder. A long quiet ensues between them, as they look out to the kingdom of Canterlot before them. Other ponies pass by, respecting their little moment of solace and peace.

“What a day, huh?” Matt says softly, trying to lighten the mood for his sake. His voice still breaks in the attempt. “One moment, you’re planning a get together, the next, you find out that not only did your father pass away, but that you’re going to spend the rest of your life young and alone.”

“Ya won’t be alone, sugarcube. Ya have me and Clem.”

“Yeah? But for how long? We were supposed to grow old together. That was the vow we took. I can’t…I can’t bear to be like this. I want to be like you. I want to keep the promise we made. I want…” his voice cracks again. “…I want to spend my entire life with you. Not a fraction of it. Not half of it. The whole thing.”

“Ah know ya do, and ah do too. Who knows? Maybe ya will. Maybe we’ll grow old together, just like ya want. Just like ah want. Nothin’ would make me happier than ta spend all of mah years in your arms.”

“But, what if that doesn’t happen? What if I will live as long as the Princesses and Chrysalis?”

“Well…on the plus side…ya don’t have to cut anypony’s heads off, like that silly movie you showed me.” Applejack says. Matt laughs at her remark, sniffling as he does it. “Ya get to hang out with some mighty fun alicorns, too. Ah hear the Changeling Queen is quite the master at them video games.”

“Stop it…” Matt says between chuckles. “It’s not…” he wipes away some tears, “…it’s not funny.”

“Then, why are ya laughing?”

“Because you’re funny. You remind me of myself. Being positive and telling jokes.”

“Ah don’t tell jokes, Matt. Ah tell the truth. Queen Chrysalis IS a master at video games!” Another chuckle leaves Matt, as he wraps his arms around her. “Ya wanna know what ah think?” She feels him nod, “Ah think that yer gonna live as long as me. You’ll see. We ponies don’t start showin’ signs of aging until we’re in our seventies. A grey hair here, a small wrinkle there…”

“Wait a second, if you don’t start aging until you’re seventy, then why are you so worried about your looks now?”

“Because I’m a mare, Matt. We’re always worried about our looks. Ah wanna look good…for you.”

“You’ll always look good to me.” His hand cresses her back. He leans up off her shoulder, looking deeply into her gaze. “How do you feel about spending the next hundred and sixty years with me?”

“I feel as good as I’ve spent the last seventeen.” She leans forward, kissing him softly on the lips. “I look forward to each and every second.”


On Saturday, Matt and Applejack spend the day inside their house. Word spread among the circle of friends of the passing of Matt’s father. Rarity, Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy arrived in a group to offer Matt their condolences. While Matt and Applejack got to have that get together they wanted, it was of different and less pleasant circumstances. As night fell, Matt’s Mother arrived, telling him that that memorial would be tomorrow morning. A fast turnaround to be sure, but Matt and Applejack agree to arrive.

The husband and wife spend the night in each other’s arms, as Matt sobbed into her chest, preparing for the day to come.


It’s Sunday afternoon; the memorial service for Matt’s Father is underway. In the beautiful and vast cemetery, Matt, along with Applejack, his Mother and his extended family, gathered around the coffin of their beloved father, husband, brother, and friend, as the Preacher said his goodbyes within the black book known as the Holy Bible. The words are lost on Matt, as the speech is drowned out by the sounds of the coffin being lowered into the ground. He clenches onto Applejack’s now human hand tightly, holding back the tears he had shed for the past couple days.

His mother cried for the both of them, anyway.

At the Williams house, everyone has congregated to pay tribute to Matt’s father, one Jonathan Williams, and reminisce about his accomplishments to the world. Aaron is telling stories about the trouble they would get into during their youth, while Kate would correct his tall tales, eliminating any embellishments he has been expelling. Laughs, and small tears abound in the party.

The only one not present… is Matt.

Matt sits in his room; unchanged for the last decade, resting on his soft and comfortable bed. He looks down at the carpet below, reminding of his own memories of his father. One who loved and cared for him, one who was always supportive and kind, one who was funny and always hopeful about the future. One who is gone.

With a couple knocks, his mother walks in to see her son in a quite state. Gradually, he looks up to her and stands. With no words spoken, they share an embrace. Tears that he was holding back during the funeral come out, and the strength fades away from his body.

“He’s proud of you, son. We both are. He wouldn’t want you to be so sad.”

“I can’t believe he’s gone. I always thought he’d live forever, you know? Both you and dad.”

“I wish that were true. I wasn’t ready to say goodbye, but I’m glad the last thing I said to him before he died was that I loved him.”

Just then, an idea hits Matt’s head. Equestria has changed him. That much is certain. It has extended his lifespan, slowed down his aging. Maybe, just maybe…

“Mom.” He separates from her. “How about you come live with us. In Equestria.”

“What? I don’t think you’d want me at your house.”

“No. I’ll buy you a house. I’ll build one for you. Mom…Equestria has done something to me. I’m not going to age for a long while. If you come with us, the same can be done to you.”

“Honey…” Mom smiles, “I appreciate that…but no.”

“Mom…”

“Equestria is where you belong. My place is here, with your Father. My husband. I want to stay here for as long as I can.”

“But, Mom…”

“I know. You want me to live longer, but I don’t want you worrying about little old me. You have a wife who needs you. A daughter who needs you. You use all of your time to be with them. Earth is my world. It’s my home. You belong in yours.”

Matt looks at his mother with sad eyes. He wants her to come with them. He wants her to say yes, but she can’t, she won’t. She has chosen to live out the rest of her days in her house; with her friends and family. Matt wants to fight it, but he knows he can’t. She won’t go anytime soon, but the thought of losing her too make his heart sink. His Mom smiles her gentle smile, knowing that he’s thinking this.

“How old will you live for, anyway?” Mom genuinely wonders.

“At least two hundred years.”

“Well…” Mom’s eyes widen, before smirking. “I’ll…be damned. You’re going to be the oldest human on the planet.”

“To be fair. In Equestria, I’m already the oldest human on the planet.” The two share a laugh, and soon, another embrace. “We’ll visit you whenever we can.”

“So will I. Don’t come by too often, though. Clementine’s growing up. She’s probably going to start getting interested in boys now. Or girls, if that’s what she wants.”

“Oh, believe me, I think there’s a particular boy that she likes.”


Monday morning has come. Matt and Applejack, now in Equestria, stand at the train station, waiting for Clementine and her class to arrive from their trip. The two are quiet, barely saying a word to each other when they woke up, and even less on the walk over. Matt has kneeled down to her, wrapping an arm around her shoulder, and keeping her close to him.

“What do you think I should tell her?” Matt asks.

“Tell her the truth. Gently, though.” She puts a hoof on Matt’s hand. “It was a beautiful ceremony. It was good seeing everybody there. Yer Dad was a great guy ta have so many wonderful people that knew him.”

“Yeah, he was. The best.” Matt smiles. “Thank you for being there.”

“I’ll always be there for you, Matt. No matter what.” she kisses him on the cheek.

“Ditto.” Matt kisses her back.

Within minutes, the train arrives. After the stop, ponies begin to file out of the train, with the fillies and colts from Cheerilee’s class emerging with their luggage. Matt and Applejack spot Clementine leaving, with Slip Wing close by her. Ditzy Doo and Quill Pen arrive to see their son, while Clementine finds her parents waiting for her with loving arms.

Clementine runs to them, and Matt and Applejack both hug her tightly.

“The trip was so much fun!” she says, obviously hiding the real eventful happenings of the trip. “Ah can wait to tell y’all all about it!” She separates from the hug. In a matter of moments, she notices the sad expression of her parents. They are smiling, but their eyes tell a different story. “What’s the matter?” she tilts her head, “Is everythin’ okay?”

“Clem…” Matt’s voice cracks, “There’s…something we have to tell you.”