• Published 14th Jul 2014
  • 7,298 Views, 622 Comments

Our Little Clementine - MaxBeezy



The "My New Life In Equestria" trilogy concludes with the chronicles of Matt and Applejack raising their Daughter from foalhood to her teenage years. Hilarity ensues. Sort of.

  • ...
33
 622
 7,298

Before Prom

Matt stands in the doorway of Clementine’s room. It has been a couple weeks since he told her about the death of his father. Her reaction to the news was expected; with her crying in her father’s arms, and he allowed her to weep as long as she needed to. Clementine always liked her grandfather, as she found his stories about her father’s youth to be a source of laughs, along with his infectious kindness, which rightfully spread to his son.

Now, on this day, it is a happier occasion for the young mare, but a confusing one for the father. An occasion that all parents must brave through, and one that is probably more frighting to them than to their child.

“So…Slip is taking you to prom?” Matt asks.

Clementine is sitting in her room, as Rarity styles her mane to be more flowing and beautiful, in an attempt to make her more attractive for her date, Slip Wing. Despite Clementine’s insistence that Slip won’t mind what her mane will look like, Rarity is having none of it, trying a variety of different styles with the flick of her horn. Applejack is helping Clementine with her make up, while also making adjustments to her prom dress.

“Yeah.” Clementine responds. “Please, don’t make it weird.”

“What do you mean? Why would I make it weird?”

“Ya know what ah mean. Ah see it in the movies all the time. Ah have a date, and you try ta go an intimidate him, because ya think he’s gonna be a creep or somethin’.”

“I am NOT going to do that!” Matt shakes his head in faux shock.

“Yes you are.” Applejack says deadpan, “Ya been talkin’ about it fer a while.”

“Traitor.”

“Dad!” Clementine is serious.

“Okay, okay! I promise I won’t try to intimidate Slip. It’s just…you know…you’re a mare…he’s a colt. Stuff about hormones…”

“Dad! Gross!” Clementine sticks out her tongue in disgust. “Don’t talk like that!”

“Talk like what?”

“Ya already gave me the birds an the bees talk, remember?”

“I also remember you regretting that decision when you explicitly wanted us to tell you.”

“Still, ah already heard bout it. Don’t worry, Slip and ah won’t do what ya think we’re gonna do.” Clementine says with a straight face, hiding that she and Slip had started sleeping together since that fateful camping trip. “Ah promise.”

Matt looks to Applejack, the master in figuring out who is lying and who is telling the truth. Applejack looks back with a shrug. She doesn’t know. Good for Clementine, frustrating for her parents.

“Matt, darling…” Rarity chimes in, “It’s adorable that you’re being protective of this sweetheart, but do try to keep the head turning conversations down to the minimum. It’s hard enough trying to conjure mane styles as quickly as I can think of them.”

“Sorry.” Matt smiles, “I’ll leave you to it.”

As he says that, a knock at the door is heard.

“That must be Slip.” Clementine guesses. “He’s a bit early.”

“I’ll let him in.” Matt disappears from their sight.

“Don’t try ta intimidate him!”

“I won’t!”


After a couple more knocks, Matt finally opens the door, now with a golf club in tow. Interestingly enough, the one on the other side is not Slip Wing, but Queen Chrysalis. She looks at Matt, surprised to see him wielding an object normally used for sports in a mildly intimidating manner. His face however, shows not of intimidation, but of bewilderment at the sight of his good friend.

“Chrysalis?” Matt’s bewilderment transforms into a smile. “Hey.”

“I’m sorry, was this a bad time?”

“No. Not at all. Would you like to come in?”

“Sure.” Chrysalis nods and walks in, still eyeing the golf club. “What’s with the golf club, if I may ask?”

“Oh, this?” Matt looks at the club, quickly setting it down like even he didn’t know why he had it. “It’s just a small…thing…what’s up?”

“Is it Slip?” Clementine calls out from her room.

“No, it’s just Chrysalis.” Matt answers.

“Hi Chrysalis!” Applejack then calls out.

“Hello, Applejack.” Chrysalis grins. She turns back to Matt. “Sorry for coming unannounced. I wanted to see if you were well. We didn’t part on the best of circumstances.” Chrysalis says in a grim tone, remembering the last time she saw Matt. When he learned of his potential immortality, he ran away in a hurry with only Applejack chasing after him. Chrysalis desperately wanted to follow as well, but Celestia stopped her.

“Right. Sorry.” Matt matches her tone. “That was a bit rude of me, huh?”

“No. Not at all. I understood your distress. I’m still concerned about you, though. It’s not often I see you in a sad state.”

“Well, if it makes you feel any better, I’ll be fine…eventually.” Matt chuckles to himself, remembering how often he used to use that little phrase. “Seriously, though, I’ve been feeling better. It still hurts, but I’m improving.”

“That’s good to hear. I’m glad.” Chrysalis gets a bit closer. “And…how is AJ?”

“She’s good. Chipper. Optimistic. She told me that being able to live as long as her gives her time to spend more days with me. To be honest, that’s pretty awesome, too. But…I am a bit scared.”

“Because you think you might live longer than that.”

“Yeah. If I’m destined to live as long as you and the Princesses, there’s nothing I can do, really. But still…I can’t imagine a world without her.”

“I know what you mean.” Chrysalis nods. “The Princesses and I will keep you company…if that came to pass, of course.”

“I’ll hold you to it. I’ve been hearing rumors that you’re a master at video games.”

“Oh no, my secret has been revealed.” Chrysalis says sarcastically, prompting the two to share a laugh. “It’s good to hear you laugh.”

“And it’s always nice to see you.” Matt smiles. His face then gets a little serious, unsure of how to word what he’s going to say. “Say…um…Chrysalis? Can I ask you something?”

“You can ask me anything you want.”

“You’ve been…around…for quite some time. Have you had many friends during those days?”

“It depends on the era, really. I wasn’t always so loved as I am now. You should know, you wrote some of my biography. But, to answer your question…yes. I’ve had friends during my time. Some I grew to…” her face blushes before saying, “…love.”

“Anypony in particular?”

“Not a…” Chrysalis opens her mouth, prepared to speak, but she stops. “Maybe for another time, Matthew. But there were definitely suitors before I fully fell for Celestia. Is that what you wanted to know?”

“No, I…I was wondering if…if…” The question seems difficult for the human. Chrysalis can see this. She doesn’t know what he wants to say, but the struggle to get it out is very real. “…if it gets any easier. Being immortal, but…those around you…are not.”

A chill spreads through the Queen’s spine at the question. Her eyes wander away from looking into the gaze of her friend, and out to the distance, as if the very question has triggered something inside of her. Memories of a distant past flood her mind, and realizations of the present also find their way into her. The ponies she lost during her years, the ponies she will lose in later life…and the man before her who may live as long as the mare that he loves. All the thoughts of loss cause her eyes to water, shutting them to prevent tears from pouring down her cheeks.

“Oh, how I wish I could lie to you, Matt.” she gets closer to him, nearly face to face. “I have lost many in my years. Ponies that I came to call friends. Ponies whom I thought I would spend my life with. Even my own army, who were created by my essence, do not live as long as I. There are years where I was hated by many, but through those times, I was loved by few. Losing them…” her voice cracked, “…never got easy. Now…that I am loved by all…I am more afraid than ever.”

“Chrysalis, I…”

“Matthew…you are dear to me. More than you realize. If you truly live as long as Applejack, I will be happy for you. You get to spend all your days with somepony whom you love. Even so…when you die… I will mourn for you.” Chrysalis watches the tears form in Matt’s eyes, and his hand gently touches the side of her neck. Her expression of sadness turns into a smile, trying to hide her pain. “Because who else will I be able to torment?”

Matt suddenly laughs, his hand remaining on her, nonetheless. “Oh, I’m sure you’ll find somepony just as silly.” He says. Suddenly, Matt wraps his arms around her, embracing her tightly. “Thank you.”

“For what?”

“For being you. It’s not often you’re told that you will be missed.”

“I will miss you…Matthew.” Chrysalis wraps a foreleg around Matt. “But…that day won’t come for quite some time. I look forward to seeing you again and again.”

“Me too.” Matt whispers. The two hold on to the hug for a few more precious moments, before separating, and wiping tears away. “Anyway, enough of this seriousness. I have a bit of a problem that I need some help with.”

“Oh? Does it have something to do with the golf club?”

“A little bit. Slip…he’s taking Clementine out on a date.”

“He is?”

“Not just any date…it’s Prom.”

“Oh, that’s serious. You know what happens on Prom, right?”

“I think so. I went to Prom when I was a teenager. You dance and hang out with friends.”

“That…and…well…”

“Oh…yeah…that didn’t happen to me. Well, of course you’d know that. You think that Slip and Clem…?”

“I’m not saying that it will happen, but…well…they do like each other a lot, so the possibility is there.”

“Damn. I can’t let that happen. Clementine’s just a little filly to me.”

“All parents think of their children like that. What do you need help with, anyway?”

“I’m trying to let Slip know that I don’t want any of that stuff happening. Dancing? Fine. Kissing? A bit strange, but not much of a problem. The OTHER thing? Nope.”

“Unless you’re her chaperone, they can probably say okay, but then do it anyway.”

“That helps a lot.” Matt says sarcastically.

“Well…” Chrysalis scratches her chin, thinking of a plan of action. “There is something we can do. It may not stop him, but it will sure intimidate the Tartarus out of him.”

“I like it already. What do you have in mind?”


Slip Wing waits at the door to the Williams-Apple house with a combination of nervousness and anticipation. Anticipation because he will go to prom with who he believes to be the most beautiful mare in all of Equestria. Nervousness because…

The door opens sharply, revealing the judgmental gaze of Matt staring down on the shrinking Slip Wing. Matt eyes him up and down, looking at his admittedly nice tuxedo, slicked back hair, and pampered wings. He really went all out for the night, which catches the protective father off guard almost completely.

Almost.

“What are you doing here?” Matt asks forcefully.

“Um…I’m…here…to pick up…Clem…sir.” Slip stutters. The anticipation is gone. Nervousness is now at one hundred percent.

“Taking my daughter to prom, huh? Listen, Slip, just because you and Clem have been a long time coming, doesn’t mean you’re part of the family. Got it?”

“Yes sir.”

“What is that you got there?” Matt points at a small box, which has been on Slip's left hoof the whole time.

“It’s a broach.”

“A broach? Are you sure? Or is it….CONDOMS?”

“WHAT?!” Slip shakes his head rapidly, amazed that Matt would make such a massive leap in logic. “No! It’s a broach! I swear!”

“I know your game, Slip! I know what Prom is like! Young love, celebrating the end of an era. Tensions are high, and you know what that leads to?”

“I swear, sir. It’s just a broach. I would never bring condoms with me!”

“Oh, so you believe in unprotected sex? Gonna impregnate my daughter?!” Matt gets up close and personal.

“Please don’t hurt me!”

“Matt? Matt, what are you doing?” Chrysalis, wobbling into Slip’s sight, floating an open bottle of dandelion wine by her lips, mumbles drunkenly in Matt’s face. “Are you scarrring the poor colt?”

“No. I’m just laying down the law.”

Chrysalis eyes up Slip, smirking seductively, before saying “Sup cutie. You look good enough to eat. Literally.” She licks her lips. Her forked tongue making the colt sweat bullets. “How old are you?”

“S-Seventeen.”

“Too young for me. Or is it?” Her eyebrow raises in deep thought.

“I-Is Clementine ready?”

“In a minute, honey.” Chrysalis moves closer to the shaking Slip. “What’s wrong with spending time with the Changeling Queen?” She leans in to his ear. “You know…I can turn into anypony you desire. ANY…PONY…”

“N…N…No thanks.”

“Chrysalis. Come on.” Matt pulls her back. “We talked about this. You can’t go around seducing everypony you come across.”

“What do you mean I can’t?” she pouts, “I used to do that allllllll the time. Ponies loooooooovvvved it! I didn’t hear any complaints from any of them, and if they did, they’re liars!”

“You’ve had a little too much to drink.” Matt grabs the bottle, trying to get it away from her, but the Queen’s magic is too strong.

“Quit trying to take my stuff! You ain’t my husband!”

“This wine is mine, actually.”

“Why you always lying? Sweet Celestia, stop trottin’ lying!” Chrysalis and Matt fight over the wine bottle, much to the confusion of Slip Wing.

“What have I gotten myself into?” Slip asks himself.

“Let me ask you something.” Matt moves away from his alcoholic tug of war with Chrysalis. “You a virgin?”

“Y-yes.” Slip lies, but convincingly so.

“Good, let’s keep it that way.”

“Slip Wing! There you are!” Applejack approaches with Clementine and Rarity. “Ignore Matt and his silly friend.”

“Hey.” Chrysalis whispers to Slip, “You ever make love to a Changeling?”

“No.”

“You want to?”

“Okay…” Applejack pulls both Matt and Chrysalis away from Slip, who probably is unsure what life is anymore. “You two had your fun. Slip, let me introduce your prom date.”

Applejack fully reveals Clementine. All that nervousness and confused fright Slip had been feeling for the last few minutes is all but gone now, as he lays eyes on a stunning sight. Clementine’s hair, which always had a cute frump to it, has been styled into beautifully waving locks befitting a princess. Her dress is dark blue, while her cutie mark symbol, stylistically made using red and green diamonds, shines at the end of her dress.

Slip’s jaw nearly drops at the vision, but he soon remembers that Matt is still watching.

“You…look beautiful.” Slip says quietly. He opens up the box, revealing the broach. The broach is of a shining red apple. It must have cost a pretty bit to buy, which amazes the adults in the vicinity. Carefully, he places it in her hair, close to her ear. It fits perfectly.

“Ah didn’t get you anything.”

“You’re my prom date. There’s nothing I want more at this moment.” he swoons.

They lean in for a kiss.

“Ahem.” Matt ruins it. They turn to him, seeing him holding up a camera. “Picture time.”

Clementine and Slip get close together, as Matt takes a photograph of them. It’s a good shot. Matt smirks at the photo; proud that he got it right on the first try.

“Okay. Y’all have fun now, ya hear?” Applejack waves them off.

“We will.” Clementine waves back. She and Slip begin their walk to the translation to Canterlot.

“Be back by eleven, okay?” Matt calls out.

“Can’t, we’re meeting up with Dawning Shield and Allotrope! See y’all tomorrow!”

“Wait…” Matt begins to call out, but Applejack stops him. “What? She’s meeting with Dawning and Allotrope? Why didn’t she tell me?”

“Because she was afraid you were gonna make a big deal about it. Judgin’ by what was happenin’ with you and Chrysalis, I’d say her fears were right. Just what in the hay were y’all doin’ to the poor stallion?”

“Nothing.” Chrysalis feigns innocence, looking around the room as she does it. A clear indicator that she’s lying her rump off. Applejack looks to Matt for answers.

“I was just…laying down some ground rules.”

“And what were they?”

“Don’t have sex with our daughter, or else he’ll die?” Matt presents this as a question.

“Ah believe ya, but why did ya say it in the form of a question?”

“Reasons?”

“Well, this was all very enjoyable…” Rarity chimes in, “But I’m afraid I must be off.”

“Oh, won’t you stay for dinner, Rarity?” Applejack says, “Ya did such a wonderful job on Clementine’s mane, that ah have to thank ya.”

“The offer is tempting, darling, but I can’t just go off and have dinner without Joe. Plus, you got Chrysalis here, and I know what happens when all three of you are in a room together.”

“What?” Applejack looks at Chrysalis, then Matt, then back at Rarity. “No, no, no. That’s not what’s going to happen in the slightest.”

“It might.” Chrysalis says off hoofedly.

“Shush, you.” Applejack glances at Chrysalis in annoyance. “Bring Donut Joe with ya. It would be nice to spend an evenin’ with y’all and catch up.”

“Well…” Rarity thinks. “I can’t ignore such a kind gesture. So be it. I will get Donut Joe, and some wine, and we shall be back momentarily.”

“Can’t wait.” Applejack waves Rarity off. The moment she is out of sight, she lightly bops both Chrysalis and Matt on the head. “From now on, ya don’t try and scare Slip anymore, got it? He’s Clementine’s coltfriend now, and we can’t try ta compromise that.”

“We were justing a bit of fun. I promise, it won’t happen again. Next time I see him, I’ll apologize.”

“Good. As for you, Chrysalis…” she looks to the Queen, “What brings you around here, anyway?”

“I just came to check on Matt. See how he was doing since…”

“Ah…I see.” Applejack understands. “It’s nice of ya ta drop by too, but please try ta keep the goofball levels to a minimum. It’s bad enough having this guy making jokes and throwin’ chairs, but ah don’t need an instigator.”

“Hey!” Matt feigns being offended.

“Ah say it with love. Then again, it’s been a while since he’s been this way, so maybe it’s a good thing ya came by.”

“So…does that mean I can stay for dinner?” Chrysalis asks.

“Yeah, ya can stay. Matt, better order out. And order a lot of food. Ah got a feeling that we’re going to be very hungry.”

“Great.” Matt smiles. “I’ll order from that Fillydelphia style place we like. Oh, and make sure that the wine Rarity brings isn’t the strong kind. If it is, we should limit ourselves.”

“What’s the strong kind?” Chrysalis queries.

“Sunflower wine. It’s the heaviest kind of wine Equestria has made. Two glasses, and yer more than a little tipsy.”

“Wow. Lot of mistakes could be made.”

“Yeah. Lots. Last time, Matt was shoutin’ that he was some Spartacus guy, and passed right out.”

“Huh, that sounds familiar.” Chrysalis remembers the last time Matt got extremely drunk. He shouted that he was Spartacus, fainted, got up to punch a former mascot, then fainted again. It was an amusing sight for her, but none she’d like to see repeated.

“We better make sure nothin’ likes that happens again. Deal?” Applejack raises a hoof out.

“Deal.” Chrysalis hoofbumps her.